[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Operators vs Top Athletes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

Who gets the most nutritional support? Who gets the best health advice? Are they at the same level and why not?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/2/navy-seal-performance-center-request-denied-congre/

Pic related, both a UFC middleweight fighter and a member of the U.S. Army Special Forces
>>
>>29235085
An athlete is going to be eating , working out, and recovering much better than people in the military. They also have access to tons of professionals.
>>
>>29235092
>than people in the military
SOF is not normal military. They should have the same competition oriented support.
>>
Completely different roles, not even comparable IMO. The aim of an Olympic runner or powerlifter is to perform at their maximum for as long as the event takes, the aim of SF/SOF is to perform at their maximum in bitter cold on a single MRE for days. They both get professional health advice, but neither is "better" because they are trying to achieve completely different things.
>>
>>29235103
Supposedly the NFL has lent some consultants to the SOF community
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm-m93Y8dTg
>>
>>29235110
Makes sense. isn't the military a bit slow on the uptake in terms of newer sports medicine and training developments?
>>
>>29235103
This.
Two completely different things altogether.
>>
>>29235085
Comparing a Camaro SS to Formula 1.
>>
>>29235131
The military is slow on the uptake of literally everything unless someone high up has shares in a company related to it.
>>
>>29235099
I guarantee they have good training but modern day athletes are on a totally different level as far as doing everything in a healthy manner. It also depends on the sport different sports use different muscles.
>>
File: reiter engineering camaro gt3.jpg (225KB, 600x415px) Image search: [Google]
reiter engineering camaro gt3.jpg
225KB, 600x415px
>>29235150
A really good Camaro
>>
>>29235085
Michael Phelps could out-swim any frogman on the planet, while he takes bongrips.
>>
Even college athletes get better nutritional and physical training than any military.

It's not even particularly close.
>>
>>29235150
SOF is more of an Ultra4 4x4
>>
>>29235159
Primarily because he has a well-invested nutritional support team.
>>
Just stop. "Operators" may be fit, but they're not comparable to top athletes. Physical fitness is not the main focus of their training. It's much more about team work, tactics, the ability to operate under pressure, etc.
>>
>>29235470
90% of the athletes who have entered the armed forces have ended up in their SOF equivalents.

There is a reason
>>
File: CT shooter.jpg (12KB, 320x241px) Image search: [Google]
CT shooter.jpg
12KB, 320x241px
>>29235085
>>29235131
>>29235092
>>29235150
Not knowing who David Goggins is and what he's done.

Not knowing about this
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/uniontrib/20060729/news_1n29seals.html

http://pilotonline.com/news/military/navy-seals-find-recruits-in-athletes/article_5b285924-9383-548b-92bb-d7882afc72fd.html

>yfw you realize ultra endurance athletes like me are the exact people the Navy is recruiting and not some 19" neck linebacker.
>>
>>29235152
This is the truest post of the day- fuck my bong army
>>
>>29235522

Goggins was a 19" neck linebacker before he decided he really really really really liked running for forever. he was a powerlifter.

he was an athlete before, he's still an athlete. just a different sort.

and yeah, SOF is looking for fit dudes. turns out it's easier to outfight an enemy when you aren't thinking OH MY GOD I'M SO WINDED AND TIRED RIGHT NOW and more "ok dave's gonna flank him while i clear this corner" or whatever it is the ground pounders do tactically.
>>
I know athletes who confirm they were in worse shape after going into the military. That's because in the military you don't have the luxury of eating when you want, or even doing the perfect training that is best suited for you. Well I guess operators take physical training even more into consideration, but I think it's true for any military unit that nutrition, specially when you're deployed, is not going to be ideal. Nor is the training.
>>
>>29235506
Got a source for that bullshit?
>>
What that article fails to say is what else was thrown in with that SEAL facility. Chances are there was millions of bullshit dollars attached to it that was the real reason this was denied.

Appels to oranges. Each are trained to a certain standard for their given objective. Fuck your argument.
>>
In America: athletes get better support provided that they are part of an organization that actually pays enough for them to get that support. Even then, as stated above the athlete performs in a specific context under specific conditions. In contrast the military has next to NO funding in sports science. In the military training is more about general physical preparedness under any condition and a more versatile use of the body than someone who does sport specific training.

In countries like Russia and China the military has a significant investment in sports science and I'd say that their athletes and military are more matched because many of their athletes are in the military

That said, using a gun to do most of your fighting requires exponentially less fitness than using your fists. But it also requires more mental strength.
>>
Why doesn't military openly embrace performance enhancing substances?
Why wouldn't you pop a meth pill if your life depends on you muscling trough fatigue?
>>
>>29235901
Athletes are judged based off of the best examples and expectations where as the militaries judgement of a soldier is based more on a bare minimum of acceptability.
>>
>>29235908
Because eventually soldiers come home and have to abide the war on drugs.
>>
>>29235908

the military gave me dextroamphetamine and modafinil and ambien...
>>
private sector is almost always more efficient and effective than the government, in the limited context of this thread regarding general fitness, professional athletes would be "better" than most SOF members
>>
>>29235506
That is exactly because of their training in teamwork and operating under stressful situations. Even if those situations are different from those seen on the battlefield.
>>
>>29235506
>90% of the athletes who have entered the armed forces have ended up in their SOF equivalents.

Precisely because they are used to sacrificing everything to be the best, often these athletes have no real childhoods because they were off training instead of playing. SOF and Olympians have much in common but training methods is not one of them, its all about the state of mind.
>>
>>29235522
>yfw you realize ultra endurance athletes like me are the exact people the Navy is recruiting and not some 19" neck linebacker.

That's great, the Navy's very own 'throw bodies at the problem until it goes away' unit is recruiting people who can run further before they die. Why die tired when you can die very tired? Besides, it's not even true. Athletes which have the highest tendency to pass BUD/s are wrestlers, lacrosse players, rugby players, and water polo players. Guess what all of those guys have in common? 19" necks.
>>
>>29239108
Way to go there champ, don't bother reading the links with quotes from the Navy, then, just make shit up and repeat it enough until you think it's true
>>
>>29239284
>water polo, swimming, triathlons, lacrosse, boxing, rugby, and wrestling
>Of that group, water polo players had the highest odds of making through SEAL training, odds that doubled if they played the sport in college.

http://www.webpronews.com/navy-seals-recruit-heavily-from-seven-sports-2014-06/

So one ultra endurance sport, and 4-5 sports where thick necks are exceedingly common. Nice effort though buddy, whatever makes you feel better about yourself is worth believing.
>>
>>29238078

>sacrificing everything to be the best

Or theyre just more mature and able to make long range plans and not get distracted by petty bullshit and discomfort at the tip of their nose.

The reason lots of these groups have such high attrition is that they take in 17 year old virgins whose every issue and problem has been taken care of by the adults in charge of them.
>>
>>29239558
>webpronews
........ Nothing mentions neck size. I played Water Polo in H.S. and our team won 3 state championships. I don't know of any players who had a neck that size. A 19" neck is not common in a fit male. Maybe if you're eating cheetos all day you think that size is normal. Try and buy a men's shirt with that size neck in regular fit. Good luck buddy boy.
>>
>>29239638
A 19" neck was obviously being used as a synonym for 'built'. As in, 'the Navy doesn't want stocky, built guys, they want skinny david goggins type physiques'. Meanwhile, the most consistent explanation of which athletes are most likely to pass BUD/s lists those 7 sports, 4-5 of which have athletes who are typically stocky and built and don't have the aerobic endurance of ultra endurance athletes (rugby, lacrosse, wrestling, water polo, and arguably boxing). Face it, being a skinny bitch is never an advantage.
>>
File: bakelite paintjob.jpg (457KB, 696x3692px) Image search: [Google]
bakelite paintjob.jpg
457KB, 696x3692px
>tfw my mom was a spanish instructor for SF on ft bragg back in the early 2000's

I was watching hunting hitler on the history channel and my mom walked by and said "hey thats tim, he was in one of my classes"

next time I visit I might as well steal the polaroids of him stuffing his face full of chinese food and being autistic in class since you guys like him so much
>>
>>29239638
>>29239747
Oh, and furthermore, Military Athlete recently did a study working with different SOF groups out of Ft. Bragg. The average height and weight of the USASOC unit was 70.4 inches and 195.3 lbs respectively. For the joint SPECOP unit it was 69.2 inches and 185.4 lbs. Both weights being well above average for their respective heights, and something tells me it's probably not fat pushing those numbers up.
>>
>>29239797
>under 72 inches

heh, fucking subhuman manlets, I bet I can take em because im 6'0
>>
File: 220px-DavidGogginsMay08.jpg (17KB, 220x347px) Image search: [Google]
220px-DavidGogginsMay08.jpg
17KB, 220x347px
>>29235470
>"Operators" may be fit, but they're not comparable to top athletes
Yeah, sure thing, weeb.
>>
>>29235085
Athletes
Athletes
I'm not going to answer your third troll question, but draw your conclusion from the info above.
>>
>>29240179
>One operator is also an athlete
>Hence all operators are athletes

Brilliant reasoning, sheer brilliance.
>>
>>29240242
they're all athletic no doubt about that, most of them were jocks or played sports and for the most part they all can be athletes, maybe not on olympic or pro levels but they can definitely all throw a football or baseball
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.