[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to Firearms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 77483_0.jpg (32KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
77483_0.jpg
32KB, 400x309px
Hey /k/, I'm looking into buying my first firearm (specifically for home defense, but also recreational purposes) and I don't really know all that much about guns. I'm looking for a handgun or shotgun, preferably on the cheaper side, but reliable as possible. I was looking yesterday at a compact 9mil and a few .40 cal that were on the smaller side. I'd also like to be able to concealed carry if possible. If there's anyone who knows enough to give me a good recommendation, I'd appreciate it! Thanks guys.
>>
Compact 9mil. Go to a gun store and fingerfuck the pistols you fancy to see how they fit in your hand. Even try a store with an indoor range and try shooting them. Anything but Tarus or HiPoint and you're good.
>>
>>29226634
yeah, I liked the way the 9mil felt, even though it was on the smaller side. It definitely felt like it would pack a decent punch. The s&w was a little pricey though. Any brands that are known to be reliable but are also cheap?
>>
Hi.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

CCW's with short barrels chambered in 9x19, .40 S&W or .45 ACP do not perform significantly better than .380 ACP (especially with modern bullet geometries) while also packing significantly more recoil.

You're honestly better off buying a separate gun for CC than the one you use for home defense (get something you can mount a tactical light to for that) and recreational shooting (CCW's are typically not too fun to shoot).
>>
G L O C K 1 9
L
O
C
K
>>
>>29226712
I'm not overly concerned about actual concealed carry that much, I'm honestly looking more for something very versatile that would work in many situations, but most specifically home safety.
>>
>>29226741
settle down there buddy
>>
>>29226781

In that case, I'd suggest getting a full-size duty handgun first and pick up a dedicated CCW later.

Do you know about different trigger types?
>>
>>29226797
not really. a few of the handguns I was checking out had drop safeties on the triggers, I'm fairly sure
>>
My advice would be to shoot a glock 17 and glock 19 and see how you feel about the two. Then buy the glock 19.
>>
>>29226850
the glock is out of my price range, I really am not looking for something that expensive. great looking gun though.
>>
>>29226826

'Kay. Here's the short version:

"Single Action" triggers only release the hammer. The hammer needs to be manually cocked for the first round (on semi-auto's, this is accomplished when racking the slide to chamber the first round).

"Double Action Only" triggers will always pull back the hammer and then release with every trigger pull. This is more reliable in that you can re-strike a primer if it doesn't go off the first time and it will always have the same, consistent albeit heavier trigger pull.

"DA/SA" triggers will cock the hammer before releasing, but the trigger pull with be lightened to a single action if the hammer is already cocked. It's a good compromise if you don't mind the trigger pull being heavier for the first shot than the subsequent ones.

Glocks use what they call a "safe action" trigger. It's like a DAO in that it always cocks it with the pull, but only a portion of the way, so if you had a failure to fire, you won't be able to re-strike the primer.

Some people make a big deal about whether your handgun is hammer or striker fired, but it's not really that important. The only real difference is that a hammer uses circular interpolation and a striker uses linear interpolation.
>>
>>29226905
so for the quickest response to a home invader/ attacker, which type of trigger is my best option?
>>
>>29226970

It really just comes down to what you like and how much you practice with it.

I'd be more afraid of a guy with a 300 dollar single-action .22lr revolver who shoots like Jerry Miculek than a guy with a 10,000 dollar race gun who can't hit a barn from point blank.

The important part is that you hit your target. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
>>
>>29227011
gotcha. I think I'm gonna stick with a standard 9mm then, seeing as it's an affordable versatile option.
>>
>>29227081

9x19 is very reasonable.

Like another anon said, I really would suggest going to the range and trying out as many as you can.
>>
>>29226741
Im eyeing on that one. Seems pretty cool gun, but im sure there are better options out there.
>>
I'm going to suggest pump action 12 gauge. It is capable of all tasks. It can take down anything from birds to bears. You can also purchase less lethal rounds.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.