[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Surviving a hit from .50 BMG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: .50 BMG.jpg (3KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
.50 BMG.jpg
3KB, 300x168px
Now I know you have had this topic ran into the ground. Is it a futile effort to even create body armor that can withstand the bullet yet still kill the person from the sheer force. How would you go about solving the problem to spread out the kinetic energy as much as you can?
>>
>>29226150
Matt from DemolitionRanch has a nice series of videos showing what a .50 BMG FMJ does to SEVERAL plates of armor

in short, it's not feasible without something to augment the wearer's strength, because they'd be carrying around 50lbs of armor at a minimum
>>
Reactive body armor
>>
>>29226165
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdgQ0OSZqOo
here's one of the vids i mentioned
>>
File: 1457036832449.jpg (47KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
1457036832449.jpg
47KB, 500x365px
>>29226150
Armor made out of Belladonna's anus.
>>
My check point fired a single round of .50 API at someone disobeying our roadblock. It took off 3/4 of his head.

Good luck surviving that.
>>
>>29226191
>made out of Belladonna's anus
but it always got penetrated
>>
>>29226150
Literally impossible. If a .50BMG bullet goes by you within 10 feet the concussion would scramble your guts.
>>
>>29226150
For .50 BMG ball ammunition, a 3/4 inch plate of steel can withstand that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dXvetFDX3A

When powered armor becomes advanced enough to carry weight like that, a steel plate, or perhaps something even lighter and more advanced, over the chest won't be completely out of the question.

Mk 211 Raufoss rounds are an entirely different animal though. Those things can pierce fucking manhole covers
>>
but guys, in CoD that guy got his arm shot off when he was hit by a 50 cal and survived
it must be possible
>>
>>29226168
fund it
>>
>>29226310
no, no, being anywhere withing a 10 degree arc of the gun muzzle will vaporive you at up to 16 kilometers away
>>
You can

It'll punch a nice .50 cal hole through you without much more than a caliber size hole

Personally spoken to two army vets that were hit with .50 cal sniper fire to the chest in Sadr City. Ball ammo.
>>
>>29226307
force still travels through the plate and kills you anon
>>
>>29226191
I miss her.
>>
>>29226455
If you were more full of shit your eyes would turn brown.
>>
I thought XSAPIs were able to stop .50 BMG.
>>
>>29226486

Sure thing

The temporary cavity of a .50 ball round doesn't do shit to most of your torso.

It's like shooting a deer with a .416 Rigby. Hole in and out.

The two soldiers that were hit during the wall mission would also say sure thing. Vests were punched, both sides, but they survived the torso hits.
>>
>>29226227
>It took off 3/4 of his head.
AND the shooter missed by a foot
>>
>>29226529
We were pretty excited about it. Nothing regarding the situation re-entered our minds until after coming back home. Going from explosions, small arms fire, mortar impacts to stateside menial occurrences like Christmas decorations and fake snow - all within 72 hours really fucks your brain.

How are you supposed to act?
>>
>>29226515
I agree with you temporary cavity dont means jack usually but just go watch a video or two of deer getting shot with fuddy cal.
>>
>>29226472

Depends. What's the surface area of contact with a steel plate and what's the velocity of the 12.7 bullet? Arm chair physics to follow.

Aavg = (Velocity - 0 / time taken to stop bullet )

M = Not sure, say .045kg?

P = ( M * (Aavg^2) ) \ Area of contact

Assuming area of contact and duration of impact are made long enough, you could survive.
>>
>>29226598
LOL

Cavitation doesn't mean jack? Are you an uneducated school child?
>>
>>29226694
>usually
I don't know, are you?
>>
File: Zakhaev.jpg (45KB, 415x429px) Image search: [Google]
Zakhaev.jpg
45KB, 415x429px
Idk man, even when you shoot someone in the face with a .50 their arm just flies off. I'd say it's pretty survivable.
>>
>>29226168
I actually have a prototype in mind but only for ap, rounds
>>
>>29226694
Martin Fackler, THE expert on wound ballistics, said repeatedly that temporary cavitation only truly becomes dangerous when it intersects a stiff organ/tissues, like the liver.

Permanent cavitation is what really counts.
>>
>>29226168
ERA for body armor
>pat dude on the back
>lose hand
>purple heart & disability pay
>everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg
>>
>>29226748
>Traveling in Stryker with squad
>Hit small bump in the road
>One guy has an ERA panel detonate
>Sets of ERA chain reaction

Still better than walking
>>
>>29226473
I love her.
Would wife.
>>
>>29226168
Think about this for a second. Think about how much kinetic energy the bullet has. Now think about how much energy the reactionary force of your armor will have to generate to counteract it. Its not feasible.
>>
>>29226780
>jacking off in Porta potty in full kit
>hit back against wall as you furiously ejaculate
>flaming cum and shit everywhere

still better than catching chlamydia from the roast beef dj.
>>
>>29226310
Well actually, theoretically you could. If it took it off at the elbow and you had medical help quick, put a tourniquet on it and don't die of shock, then yeah, you could survive that.
>>
>>29226472
>Force still travels through the plate and kills you.
Reminder folks, thousands of people each year are killed when the stock of their Barret completely disintigrates their shoulder/tears it off at the joint.
Should fired .50, not even once kids.
>>
>>29226694
>a temporary hole in nothing but muscle or flesh will kill you
ok
>>
>>29226165
didn't he do another one wear he tried to deflect an AP round? All he did was turn the plate 45 degrees to the side.
>>
>>29227180
82nd Airborne - I jerked it in a porta potty during winter training. It is either your choice of a cum dump or its going to soak your drawers when you're sleeping.
>>
>>29226165
Okay, but what about .50BGM hollow point? You gotta start somewhere accessible!
>>
>>29226150
So much work, and danger, for what? If you want to say you've survived a .50 hit, why not just do so with .50GI? If you tell people you've shrugged off .50, they'll assume it was .50AE anyway.
>>
the brits had some body armor that was able to stop a .50 BMG, it weighed 32 lbs
>>
>>29226168
Gordon Freeman please leave.
>>
Reactive body armor would be metal as fuck
>>
matt from demo ranch shot at a titanium plate with .50bmg (including AP) and it stopped it both times

your heart would probably exploded from the pressure though

video related https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3fBkNIROg4
>>
>>29226150
In his book "Inside Delta Force" Charlie Beckwith actually states that he took a 12.7mm to the stomach. He survived. It took about 4 months to recover, but he survived.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.