[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he thinks M1 Garands are better than Springfields Heresy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

>he thinks M1 Garands are better than Springfields

Heresy
>>
Is it really fair to compare the two? They're totally different type of rifle, one being a bolt action the other being semi... They're both .30-06 right?
>>
>he does not think the best rifle to come out of world War 2 is better than another common bolt action
>>
>>29185381
>Garand
>Best rifle in WWII

More like the STG44, the rifle that changed modern combat forever.
>>
>>29185422
Stg44, the rifle that won the war.
>>
>>29185430
>Implying the USA wouldn't have won the war if they were using Springfields

This is about what rifle is better, not who won using what.
>>
>>29185422
>thinking a rifle designed to be cheaply made and quick to produce is better
>thinking that just because a weapon influenced newer, better weapons it's better than all others

Gewehr 88 changed how war was fought, didn't make it better than the Gewehr 98.
>>
>>29185471
>>thinking a rifle designed to be cheaply made and quick to produce is better

How is that not a good thing?

>>thinking that just because a weapon influenced newer, better weapons it's better than all others

Yes, it is, actually. The Garand was an amazing weapon at the time when most countries were still issuing bolt action rifles to their troops as a primary weapon of war, but it had some pretty big flaws and drawbacks that we now know about years later. Not to mention everyone uses smaller, lighter rifles in intermediate cartridges as opposed to the full power cartridges of WWII.
>>
>>29185471
>>thinking that just because a weapon influenced newer, better weapons it's better than all others
using this same argument, the mauser is a completely average ww2 rifle
>>
>>29185509
Are you actually asking how a cheap, stamped rifle isn't a good thing when compared to a finely machined one? Sure its better for war economy, but the quality of the weapon isn't going to be as good.

Did you just not comprehend what I said at all? I know that the StG changed everything. Everyone knows that. That doesn't make it better than weapons that existed at the same time.
>>
>>29184138
The Garand was the first large scale reliable semi-auto that was adopted by any force in WW2. The Springfields were used throughout the war and had a mix of opinions based on what units you talked with. Some loved em, and some not so much.
>>
>>29185422
Yes but the M14 is better than the AK-47 and M16
>>
>>29185570
youve got to be a bit more subtle
>>
>>29185464
If everyone else used nothing but bolt actions the Springfield would've stayed fairly competitive.
>>
File: 9GBVFep.jpg (94KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
9GBVFep.jpg
94KB, 1920x1080px
>>29185570
kek
>>
>>29185607
>>29185665
For an army, the m16 or AK-47 is better and much more effective, but the M14 is a much more accurate rifle and I would much rather shoot one than an m16 or ak47
>>
>>29185762
>For an army, the m16 or AK-47 is better and much more effective, but the M14 is a much more accurate rifle and I would much rather shoot one than an m16 or ak47

It's a good DMR, but it's heavy as shit compared to both rifles, and the weight counts when you're going to be carrying it for long stints on top of the other gear you'll be carrying, case study in this instance being Vietnam.
>>
Pretty sure I read an article about Springfield's with a serial number between 800k-880k had a warning notice issued recently for bad bolts that could crack or shatter with modern munitions. Also, it was just an unlicensed copy of a Gewehr 98, that Mauser sued for royalties, and the case was thrown out with the onset of WW1. 30-06 is was also designed using the 8mm mauser as inspiration. Notice the case heads are the same dimensions? It is what happens when you badly reverse engineer and redesign the peak military rifle of the time.
>>
>>29185534
I don't think you're comprehending what you're saying, thought. "Quality" of a weapon, what exactly does that mean to you? Yeah, the Garand is a real pretty rifle. It's solid as a rock with it's forged parts. Feels good to shoot, has nice oomph. But from all practical aspects, the STG 44 is a superior weapon.

.30-06, and most other rifle cartridges at the time, were found to be overpowered as fuck for the distances most engagements were fought at. 8 round en-bloc clips aren't an advantage over an automatic rifle with detachable magazines. While the Garand might be a tougher rifle overall, that doesn't mean shit when the enemy has such a higher volume and rate of fire.

>>29185570
No it wasn't, the M14 is just an offshoot of the Garand and suffered the same problems it did. It's a great rifle, and I'm a fan both the M1 and M14, but they're easily outclassed by other rifles.
>>
>>29186001
The m14 was a refined rehash of their rifle they submitted to compete with the garand pre war. Not an updated garand.
>>
>>29186794
Meant to say it was Winchester's design. Their carbine was adopted as the m1.
>>
>>29185422
Someone's been watching the Discovery Channel!
>>
>>29186951
Nice argument faggot
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.