[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should lifting be a must have skill for /k/omandos?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: images.jpg (17KB, 471x312px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
17KB, 471x312px
Should lifting be a must have skill for /k/omandos?
>>
>turn your body into a hulking inflexible immobile mass that consumes 500 calories with a single gate

Sounds real effective man. Those muscles will definitely stop bullets.

4 scoops COMON
>>
>>29174707
>Fitness means roiding up
>My 140lb weakling frame is the ultimate operating machine.

Go lift, anon.
>>
>>29174688
Lifting your own bodyweight maybe. I'm a pretty muscular person relative to the scrawny ass kids I go to school with, but I absolutely feel healthier and more capable after a long cutting cycle. Soldiers should be able to go for a long time as well as be strong.
>>
File: Wealthy Piano.png (197KB, 374x484px) Image search: [Google]
Wealthy Piano.png
197KB, 374x484px
>>29174707
ONLY 4 SCOOPS??!?! 8-10 SCOOP 3-4 TIMES A DAY CMON LETS GET BIG CMOOOONNNNN
>>
nope. to be combat effective you need excellent cardio, to be able to haul you gear, and to be able to sprint short distances. there comes a point where extra body mass would just become a burden. example: being able to bench 600lbs does you no good if you have to carry 40MREs on you just to maintain your bulk.
>>
>>29174707
This

Sure, lifting is healthy, and can improve overall physique, but there are better physical training regiments that are more relevant to being a /k/ommando.

Must-have physical skills for /k/ommandos:

Cardio
Land-nav
Bushcraft/survival
Marksmanship
Practical gymnastics
Martial arts
>>
File: SHOOOP.png (175KB, 302x297px) Image search: [Google]
SHOOOP.png
175KB, 302x297px
SHHOOOP AHHHH
>>
Do what you wanna do, but I seem to remember Ranger Ricky saying he and his unit ran lots of gear and lifted like mad cunts when they were deployed. And see also:
http://startingstrength.com/site/article/combat_worst_case_scenario
http://startingstrength.com/site/article/a_strength_based_approach_to_the_apft
http://startingstrength.com/site/article/why_does_the_army_want_me_weak
http://startingstrength.com/site/article/starting_strength_and_barbell_training_in_the_military
>>
>>29174724
It's literally all about cardio. You just need an acceptable amount of muscle which isn't much.
>>
>>29174823
>knows literally nothing about combat fitness
>hurr i saw a pic of vining and he doesn't look big so all i need to do is run

There's a reason the vast majority of SF guys and Rangers lift weights.
>>
>>29174688

No.

Take this /fit/ shit back to /fit/.

IMA GET SWOLE! HAVE TO WALK THROUGH DOORS SIDEWAYS!
>>
>>29175013
At the very least a man should be able to squat, bench, overhead press, and deadlift with good form. You don't build upper body strength by running, that's for sure.
>>
>>29175170

You build your core and your endurance with running.

If your so weak you can't hold your weapon up... You got problems.

Nothing wrong with working out, you're just on the wrong board.
>>
>>29174963
No one is saying you should be a skeleton dipshit.

But when it comes right down to it cardio trumps weightlifting by far in terms of prepping you for combat effectiveness, shtf, etc.
>>
>>29175211
You do both.

Saying you should do one instead of the other is a lazy excuse.
>>
Sure, weightlifting is fine...if you'll be able to feed yourself enough to retain the additional mass during a shtf scenario.
>>
>>29175198
You're not building any upper body muscular endurance or maximal strength by running. LSD cardio isn't going to help you drag a 200lb buddy or help you fight someone off your gun.

>>29175211
That's kind of funny because most of the respected workout routines for SOF guys involve more lifting days per week than cardio days.

Bottom line is that if you ask any SOF soldier whether you should lift weights to prepare for combat, you will hear "yes." If you ask if you should do cardio, you will hear "yes."
>>
>>29175230
You still prioritize cardio is my point, cardio training on the whole is more important and if you do cardio, body weight and endurance you can work out your entire body.

You do not need to deadlift to carry gear, there are many ways to go about raising your general strength.
>>
>>29174707
Rich panini is actually flexible as fuck
>>
>>29175376
Whatever man if you think 12 scoops CMON is the way to prep for practical combat situations be my guest. I don't.

I would rather be able to run multiple miles than diddlylift 500 pounds.
>>
>>29175376
>Bottom line is that if you ask any SOF soldier whether you should lift weights to prepare for combat, you will hear "yes." If you ask if you should do cardio, you will hear "yes."

This

The idea that if you lift weights you'll suddenly become a slow muscle-bound freakshow is parroted ad nauseum by people that have never seen a gym.
>>
>>29175397
Sucks for you since I can dl 500 pounds run marathons, and swim 5 miles.
>>
Combat Chassis:

Legs

Back

Cardio
>>
>>29175397
If you think deadlifting 500 lbs makes you unable to run multiple miles you're delusional. Lifting barely affects your cardio either way. The main reason most lifting types have bad cardio is because they don't do any running, not because they're "too heavy."

The point is to improve your lifts while maintaining a reasonable weight (160-220lbs) as well as maintaining your cardio. Then every once in a while you can switch and improve your cardio while maintaining your lifts.
>>
Fat is better. It stops bullets, stores energy, and helps you stay warm in the cold inna woods. Face it lanklets and fitizens, fat people will rule the world.
>>
you need to be a trap so you can seduce your captives.
>>
>>29174688
Well, this thread went to shit in almost record time. Anyway, to try and be real, yeah I do think lifting, to some degree, should be something that really is part of /k/ culture. From seeing some of the bigger meetup pics,I get the feeling that a large part of /k/ does very little exercise of any kind.

Arguing about cardio vs. lifting is just kind of shit stirring that sidelines the core idea of /k/ being more fit, which I think would go towards making this place less cringy.

Picking a specific goal isn't going to be universal. I think that even cardio bunnies should stop shitflinging and do a bit of lifting. Guys who lift need to make sure they aren't curlbros who double over after walking half a mile. That's just details though, and can be approached a lot more constructively that the shitflinging above.

Not matter the focus of a routine, if you are going for "operator fitness", I'm a huge propenent of squats, deadlifts, and compound exercises derived from them. Soldiers need strength to carry weight on their whole bodies.

There are plenty of strength oriented exercises which can be used to up heart rate and help with cardio in the gym.

Arguing that "operators" don't need strength smacks of people trying to kid themselves about their own fitness in comparison. Operators might not all be roid out body builders, but people seem to really underestimate strength and how it affects military life.
>>
When discussing personal fitness:
>"Being strong is more of a hindrance than a help in a combat situation. You need to be light. All those muscles are just extra weight that will only slow you down. That's why I don't lift."

When discussing women in the military:
>"Women shouldn't be allowed anywhere near combat because soldiers need to be strong. Women are too weak and would be nothing but a liability."
>>
>>29176013
"How to tell that /k/ are bitter virgins that don't exercise"
>>
I'm gonna catch shit for saying it, but crossfit applies very well to soldier fitness. It gets shit on so much because of ass-backwards gyms that don't practice it right/don't care about form.

Being all muscle will slow you down and get you killed. Being skinny cardio fuck will reduce your load carrying capacity and get your buddy killed. Being fat will get you and your buddy killed.

It's all about balanced training and vo2 capability.
>>
I'm 110lb and I can shoot just fine

>>29175600
this is the best strategy
>>
>>29174756
Does macp count as martial arts? Shit who am I kidding, it doesn't.
>>
>>29176013
Interesting observation. It's almost like SHTF fantasies and the realities of modern combat are two different situations...
>>
>>29176097
At least if you are stronk and aggressive just about anything will help you beat a malnourished iraqi in h2h.
>>
does anyone know about the study of (polish?) troops' ability to ruck and their deadlift stats?
>>
File: 1457285999135.gif (263KB, 600x304px) Image search: [Google]
1457285999135.gif
263KB, 600x304px
>>29176109
Kek
>>
File: 1432704173753.jpg (22KB, 263x261px) Image search: [Google]
1432704173753.jpg
22KB, 263x261px
...is it NOT normal to take a weight lifting based PE class at some point before college?
>>
>>29176013

Those are very different scenarios being discussed, anon. The woman question is about meeting a bare minimum level where you can even do the tasks required of you. The roidmonster question is about devoting major time and effort towards having the widest shoulders and most shredded pecs.
>>
>>29175501
should be a balance of fat and muscle
if you cant run a mile by 10 minute then you're bust
>>
>>29178197
Where did
>Should lifting be a must have skill for /k/omandos?
turn into
>is being 300lbs rich piana mode necessary for /k/ommandos

I dunno about you but the vast majority of strong people I know lift. If they don't, they usually did a sport and spent way longer than it would take to lift to get similar results. IMO barbell compound lifts are the most time-efficient way to build maximal strength.
>>
>All these people in this thread that think lifting of any kind means getting huge
>>
>>29174688
I think its pretty retarded that most /k/ommandos think that lifting, deadlifting, and squats turn you into some kind of hulking mass of steroids that can't run long distances.

The argument that strength isnt relevant to operators and that cardio is the only important type of fitness is ridiculously wrong.

Optimal fitness requires a mix of upper body, core and back, and lower body fitness, including cardio. Running and having endurance is important. Having the strength to aim down your rifle while standing for more than a minute, carrying around heavy gear on your back, and hauling your buddies ass out of danger is important too.

Also nobody is saying that you need to be some meat head when we say that lifting/ upper body workouts are important. I personally don't lift a ton, but I still max the PT test and maintain a high level of overall fitness.
>>
>>29178297
I think everyone's answer in this thread is influenced by the super roid man in the OP's pic.
>>
>>29178297
A man is 3 times stronger than a woman by default. Women need to lift and get buff if they want to be as strong as male soldiers.
>>
>>29174707
doubting the piano man's flexibility
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSf1BFRcdxo
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.