[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

XM8 rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

File: Xm8_sideview.jpg (19KB, 500x224px) Image search: [Google]
Xm8_sideview.jpg
19KB, 500x224px
Whats your opinion on it? it seems like it would have been a worthy successor for the U.S military's new standard infantry rifle.
>>
How do you eat that fish ? BBQ ? Sashimi ? Steamed ?
>>
>5,56mm
no thanks
>>
> take boring rifle
> slap a futuristic looking curved carry handle on top
> "whoa... it's like Halo... in real life..."

Thank you no
>>
File: 1448759354047.gif (3MB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
1448759354047.gif
3MB, 350x263px
>>29080197
> doesn't offer any significant performance improvement
> integrated optics
> looks like a fish
it's shit
>>
The g36 isnt "better" than the M4 so why should this be anything in the world?
>>
File: 1456068810481.jpg (15KB, 540x193px) Image search: [Google]
1456068810481.jpg
15KB, 540x193px
Because this exists.
>trying to fix something that isn't broken
>modern day hk
>making anything worth a fuck anymore

lmao
>>
>>29080197
Not military use
Would love civilian version because vidja for little more than collection purposes
>>
>>29080197
Sexy as fuck. I need one of those TBT kits and an SL8 or 243.
>>
>>29080304
Have fun finding them.
They're also like 1,500+ if you do
>>
>>29080197
AR crowd hates it because they couldn't play operator anymore once the army had adopted it.
>>
File: 1452903092302.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1452903092302.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>29080304
It won't work with the 243, it only works with SL8s. 243/293s have a G36 receiver hing. The XM8 kit is built around the SL8 receiver rear.

I bought a second SL8 because of his kit. Need to send it in to finish converting it.

Anyways, OP, the XM8 was a good rifle, but it cost more than the M4 without a huge increase in benefit. It's also essentially a futuristic looking G36. Seriously, the interiors are nearly identical.
>>
G36 2: US Military Bugaloo
>>
>directly clone G36
>somehow make it look worse
>starts melting during trials
>retarded weapon family and retarded special snowflake rail system
>stockless versions for PDW's in 5.56

yea nah
>>
>>29080368
>>retarded weapon family and retarded special snowflake rail system
Apparently the 243s released in Europe use a proprietary rail mounting system. Everybody thought they were keymod until somebody tried to put a keymod accessory on and they figured out the holes were a tad bit smaller and spaced a tad too closely to work.

The XM8 has an excuse insofar that a widespread modular rail and accessory mounting system wasn't wide spread at the time, but there's no excuse for the HK243/293.
>>
>>29080197
The integrated optic was dogshit bad.

HK was pushing proprietary railz.

Why are carry handles still a thing?

Literally the only things it had going for it were:
>PDW version was extremely compact due to lack of buffer tube
>appeared more reliable during trials because it used brand-new HK polymer mags instead of beat to shit aluminum STANAGs
>>
>>29080402
>The integrated optic was dogshit bad.
In all fiarness, those were only the first batch. The second batch had a rail and the army mounted Insight Technology ISM-Vs and ACOs.
>>
File: fsc2ao7.jpg (44KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
fsc2ao7.jpg
44KB, 600x450px
>>29080283
>>29080302
>Trying to imply the world's most polished turd is comparable to a rifle that actually fires when you pull the trigger

Calibre it in 6.8 and continue running it on AR tears and jobs a gooden
>>
>>29080209
found the euro poor.
>>
>>29080316
Syrup here, saw an SL8 at my Cabela's the other day. They're pricey as all fuck, but when it's always been my dream to own an XM8, who cares?
>>29080331
Oh, ok. Wonder if he'll do kits for us filthy Syrups. Shouldn't be anything illegal about it up here. And does his stock design fold like in
>>29080532
Or is it just collapsible?
>>
>>29080398

The xm8 was just being optimistic. Rails were the gold standard then but they rather mold some holes in cheap plastic and call it an advanced proprietary system.

It was a huge piece of plastic that not only weighed more than the M16 (with a 20 inch! barrel), but had a shorter barrel at 12.5 inches for the standard variant. Fucking disgusting, what the actual fuck. Not to mention the disgusting 'machinegun' variants that were typical half-ass adaptations. The only 'positive' to the design is the modularity, because apparently the most important feature is being able to swap my 12.5 inch out barrel for a shorter 8.5 inch barrel, that is how wars are fought. Just tell everyone to reconfigure their weapon into a new type, it's just like COD. So pointless.
>>
File: Malay operator xm8 1440460325478.jpg (201KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Malay operator xm8 1440460325478.jpg
201KB, 700x1050px
>>29080303
>Not military use

Malaystronk
>>
>>29080197
Yes, cause its superior to the dated ar platform
>>
File: 1440021985868.jpg (40KB, 500x540px) Image search: [Google]
1440021985868.jpg
40KB, 500x540px
>>29080302
>DI
>no folding stock
>no adjustable cheek rest
>Needs a forward assist added to it
>less reliable than the xm8
>not ambidextrous

5/10 made me reply
>>
caseless bullpup is the way to go
>>
>>29080813
Xm8 charging handle cannot be used as a forward assist easily at all.
>>
>>29080532
>Calibre
kill yourself eurocuck
>>
>>29080665
>Shouldn't be anything illegal about it up here
Hahahaha, oh you. It's like you have no idea about ITAR.

We can't ship a screw or bolt that belongs to a gun out of the country without paying for a shit-ton of different licenses. If it's related to firearms at all, we can't ship it out of the country.

If you buy an Elcan down here and it needs to be repaired for warranty work, we need to send it to a special dealer who can legally ship it to Canada.
>>
>>29080330
savage
>>
>>29080532
>AR a polished turn
>would rather go back to separate gas pistons

I'm sorry that you don't understand this but semi DI is a more efficient gas system that results in overall less recoil and system weight.

The only reason people think shitty plastic enclosed AR18 clones are good is because they come with good furniture.

However they are heavier, have more recoil, are bulkier, and not much more reliable.
>>
>>29080197
it's a fucking M4 with cool looking bullshit attached.
also
>trying to intimidate the enemy with the fishgun
>>
>>29080744
I have to assume everyone posting in these threads is just trolling.

Exactly what is dated about the AR platform?

I would redesign the charging handle to be ambi out of the box, but that's a nitpick, the problem has been solved by raptor charging handle or BCM charging handles.

It also sucks that the buffer tube is there, but it isn't actually a significant disadvantage in a military rifle, adjustable LOP is important but folding is just a nice to have.

It would be nice if the AR was designed to be ambi and have switchable ejection ports, but that would make it heavier probably, exactly what is wrong with militaries buying left handed guns? I've never understood that.

The forward assist being necessary in an emergency is a side effect of the hollow non reciprocating charging handle, however it also reduces the recoiling mass significantly and the overall mass a bit, I don't see any other systems offering a non reciprocating charging handle that functions as a forward assist other than stuff that really is antiquated like an FAL.

Muh quick change barrels are a retarded meme, how often does the same soldier need to switch barrel lengths? How much money do you really save by using swappable barrels instead of a full upper? Even if you did need this, it isn't an inherent limitation, it would be fairly simple to redesign the front of an AR receiver to add that functionality, ARES has done that for their LMG project.

ARs no longer have issues with their fixed sights, and in the last few years they no longer have issues with free floating barrels with handguards and gas blocks that lighter than ever.

Rifle is fucking fine.
>>
File: 1455244256169.jpg (159KB, 450x502px) Image search: [Google]
1455244256169.jpg
159KB, 450x502px
>>29080532
>Calibre it in 6.8
>Calibre

You can't even own an ar15. Shut up eurocuckie.
>>
>>29082194
Downsides of ARs:
- Charging handle is not perfectly symmetrical but can be fully ambidextrious.
- Have to torque a barrel to an upper which is how you swap barrel lengths instead of some kind of gas tube barrel hot swap.
- Buffer tube prevents folding stock.
- Can't change ejection side
- You have to slingshot the charging handle not ride it forward, and if something stops the bolt's forward travel you push a button instead of karate chopping the gun like more antiquated systems.

Benefits over not just the XM8 but every other rifle ever made:
- The lightest assault rifle.
- The lightest recoiling mass.
- Hollow non-reciporicating charging handle.

Benefits over XM8:
- Drop free mags with a right hand release
- Slide release you hit with your left hand
- No proprietary rail or optics
- No carry handle.
>>
Proprietary rails are shit for private persons but are not a problem for a military that does giant contracts.
Oh so you don't want to make your [random part] fitting our new standard rail?
Shame then we wont buy #XXX.XXX versions of it.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.