[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any archeryfags here? Looking to get my first bow and I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

File: 20931x_69x500.jpg (5KB, 69x500px) Image search: [Google]
20931x_69x500.jpg
5KB, 69x500px
Any archeryfags here? Looking to get my first bow and I want to start out with a longbow. I'm debating between 30lb draw weight and 35lb draw weight. How much of a difference does 5lb make in one's ability to draw, hold, and accurately shoot a bow?
>>
>>29061752
you should go somewhere and try out different weights. but you'd probably be better getting something around 30 pounds. just go buy a samick sage.
>>
Go to the store and try drawing some of them. If it's easy to draw don't buy it. Buy something that makes your arms shake. Then you practice and your muscles grow up to the bow.

Otherwise you will be back in the store in a week to upgrade your limbs. I started with a 35lb sammick sage and went up to 45 lbs in a month.
>>
>>29061752
A samick sage would be a better first bow, you can easily get lighter/heavier limbs and you should be able to sell it fairly easily if you don't like archery.
>>
>>29062411
One of Martin's takedowns is another good option, the risers and limbs are all interchangeable.
>>
5lb makes very little difference.
Now get yourself a basic bitch Samick Sage or equivalent and get to practicing.
>>
File: supermag48_compare[1].png (12KB, 203x566px) Image search: [Google]
supermag48_compare[1].png
12KB, 203x566px
Anyone else love bear archery?
>>
>>29061752
Sadly /k/ doesn't talk about archery a lot.
>>
>>29061804
>>29061878
>>29062411
>>29063873

>sameme sage

Is this the moist nugget of archery?
>>
>>29064031
It's a perfectly fine entry level bow.
There are many, many others identical in quality and price point which is why I specified "or equivalent" but it's pretty much always the first one recommended because of its commonality.

It is not demonstrably better than other bows in its class, just bear that in mind.
>>
>tfw no qt archer gf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbAiKXNyHVU
>>
>>29064031
It's better than telling him to drop 1k on bow but it is a meme bow.
>>
>>29061752
5 pounds is a big difference. My old school PSE, is maxed out at 37 pounds, compound bow. That's up from the 28 it started at when I got it, I upped it at about 3 ppounds at a time, at max it throws carbon fibre arrows like crazy missiles. Compare to the tame almost cartoony way it lobbed them in little arks before.
>>
>>29063971
Is a Bear Montana (op pic) a good first bow?
>>
>>29061752
Unless you can run into a group or club of archers, I suggest you find a nice archery store and try a few out.

My first bow was a compound I found in the trash. Cables needed wax and it needed sights and shit, but the price was right. And it's been fun putting it together and getting it ready to go.
>>
File: fulldraw.jpg (111KB, 800x720px) Image search: [Google]
fulldraw.jpg
111KB, 800x720px
Are yumi archery approved?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPwrCtA-RmE
>>
>>29067706
qt and deadly as fuck
best combo
>>
>>29061878
Sound advice
>>
File: rps20160219_163320_1.jpg (137KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
rps20160219_163320_1.jpg
137KB, 1280x722px
>>29061752
Yes, will be shooting with friends today.
They use bows, however I'm crossbow master race
>>
Whats the minimum amount of gear I need to start shooting outdoors and/or at a club? Just assume I'm completely new to archery and will be getting a sammick sage.

>bow
>arrows
>stringer
>arm-guard
>tab/glove
>quiver or something to hold arrows

Anything super obvious I am missing or should get?
>>
>>29069190
Arrowheads are pretty important.
>>
>>29067484
I wouldn't recommend it as a starter. As beginner the take downs are great trainers because you can swap out for higher poundage limbs as you get stronger. With that long bow you only have that. Now if you want something fixed wait until you are pulling 55-65lbs and then you pony up the cash for quality bow like that. I want the super mag in 55 lbs and the super Kodiak in 65lbs.

For now though I'm scrubbing it up with a sage at 45lbs.
>>
>>29069280
Serious question, do the cheap arrows not come with field points mounted already?
>>
>>29069415
Most carbon/aluminum arrows come fleched/vaned but don't have the point inserts in place so they can be cut to length first, and you have to buy field points as well.
>>
>>29069190
Target
Target tips maybe, but cheap ass arrows come with.
>>
>>29069190
some sort of target would be a good idea.
I just got one of these at a thrift store for $10, and I like it so far. just don't shoot your 150 pound english war bow at it.
>>
>>29061752
I did historical re-enactment archery for years and know longbows left and right.

You definitely want at least 35lb, longbows in general have slower arrow velocity; also, due to archer's paradox, they really need to shoot wooden arrows to be accurate, which are heavier. So you're gonna want that extra 5lbs. Spine your arrows for 30lb draw though. 5 lbs *can* affect your ability to aim, if it makes your arm shake, but 35 is low enough overall that if you keep in shape even a little it should be no problem.

For shooting technique, be aware that longbows use a completely different technique from other modern bows. You may not be able to find an instructor, depending on where you live. Look up "instinctive shooting." Avoid Olympic style shooting, or the "B.E.S.T" technique, it's completely unsuited to the longbow.

This is hard to describe without being in person. You want to draw with ALL your shoulder muscles, pulling the bow apart as if opening a bag of chips. Hold the bow at abotu a 15 deg. angle to compensate for the lack of a centered arrow rest. Shoot with both eyes open and develop an instinctive spatial sense - you don't really "sight" with a longbow. The off center arrow rest and large amount of arrow flex makes modern aiming styles useless.

For a bow style, I suggest either a reflex-deflex hunting bow (if you have $$), or a basic flatbow. They are more forgiving of bad technique then the more traditional longbows (like English "D" section) and are the best place to start.

cont
>>
>>29070659
Because wooden bows warp, you need to store and string them properly to make them last. Storage, you want to lay them flat, as if on a shelf or table. Make a bow rack if you can. Second choice is to hook the string over a peg. Never, ever stand it on it's end, eg prop it in a corner.

Stringing should be done against the foot
see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxK9jLS9M7Y
Or over the back with a modified step-through method. DO NOT do the normal step through, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxK9jLS9M7Y
THIS WILL TWIST YOUR BOW LIMBS. You shouldn't have to worry about this "over the back" method unless you use a 50lb+ bow though.

You can also use a stringer, although make sure that the stringer you get attaches at the tips, and not mid-limb, longbows don't take well to mid-limb pressure.
>>
File: 00small64310006[1].jpg (26KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
00small64310006[1].jpg
26KB, 610x458px
>>29070706
>Stringing should be done against the foot
it absolutely shouldn't be.
that's the dumbest fucking method I see, and I don't know why someone thought it was a good idea.
step through is okay, but can twist your limbs like you said.
the only option you should use for a bow you care about is a proper stringer.
>>
File: bow-shapes-longflatbows1.jpg (23KB, 798x203px) Image search: [Google]
bow-shapes-longflatbows1.jpg
23KB, 798x203px
>>29069190
>bow
A reflex-deflex longbow is the most accurate and best for target or hunting, but they tend to be expensive. A basic flatbow is an ideal starting point, and can be found fairly cheap. Stay away from traditional English bows with no arrow rest until you are highly skilled, they are *very* unforgiving of bad technique and hitting the target will be a bitch.

>arrows
You NEED wooden arrows, and they NEED to have feather fletching. "Jack arrows" (aluminum with feathers) are passable but not ideal, although they are more durable and make good beater/practice arrows. By shooting a longbow, you basically force yourself into either getting sets custom made or making them yourself. Also, get your arrows made about 5lbs under-spined. All of this is due to the off-center arrow rest of a longbow. You need the arrow to bend around the center of the bow, or it will bounce of to the left every time. Google "archer's paradox" and look for some slow motion video.

Normal field point or other target points are fine.

>stringer
Optional, there are no-stringer techniques, but be very careful with them. Don't apply any torque to your bow while stringing or you will warp it.

>arm-guard
required. Longbows will tear your arm up. Proper shooting technique gets your arm out of the way, but it's tricky to do and I don't think I could teach it except in person.

>tab
Required, longbows have a lot of leverage and will fuck your fingers up. Personally I prefer a glove; tabs tend to slide off when you are tilting the bow at that 15deg angle.

>quiver
optional, you can just tuck arrows into your belt behind your back, or stick them in the ground and pluck them out. Definately nice to have though.

Other stuff:
>bow sock
to protect your bow while traveling. Optional, but worth investment if your bow is expensive
>spare bow strings
>bow rack
Storing you bow properly is required to not ruin it. Wood bows are sensitive to mistreatment
>>
>>29070764
if done right, tucking the limb under the arch of your foot, and pushing the other limb way from you with a strong body-twist (for leverage), produces a no-torque, easy string method. Whip back isn't really a problem with longbows cause the tips don't curve back at you, although if you fuck up it will certainly give you a shock. Do not do with high poundage bows though, it just doesn't work.
>>
>>29070706
damn my link messed up. here's the method to avoid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbgW7XwJZT4
>>
>>29070835
Forgot to add, never ever use carbon arrows with a longbow. They are too stiff, and will always bounce off your bow body.
>>
>>29070835
>A basic flatbow is an ideal starting point, and can be found fairly cheap

Who's a good manufacturer?

>Google "archer's paradox"
Whoa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zewtuUM_0

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.
>>
My first bow was a 60lb recurve. I shoot fine.
>>
>>29070908
I haven't bought a starter bow in a long time, so I don't honestly know. My first bow was a Martin Hawk, an bare-wood flatbow that you finished yourself, which isn't in production anymore. It was very simple but still very effective. A google tells me they've now recycled the name into a compound bow, so that won't help you at all.

Rudderbows has a cheap hickory flatbow http://rudderbowsarchery.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=4.
I can't vouch for it personally, but it looks very similar to my first bow, which I still have (but can't shoot, cause I twisted the limbs by stringing wrong). Can't beat the price at least. It also has a partial arrow rest, which is essential for a first bow.

Compare to http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com/product/bamboo-backed-hickory-long-bow/ which is a sexy looking flatbow, but has no rest. That means you'll have to shoot off a gloved hand, which is traditional, but makes it super easy to fuck up your shot.

Lastly look at http://www.selfbow.com/ for some high-end traditional bows. Don't start here, they are expensive as fuck, but they are top notch.

Honestly, start cheap, get your hands on some bows, and learn by touch and shooting. Until you've got some shooting experience, all the bow advice in the world won't matter.
>>
>>29070659
>due to archer's paradox, they really need to shoot wooden arrows to be accurate
This is wrong. As long as the carbon/aluminum/hybrid arrows have the right spine rating for the weight/draw length they're just fine. In fact they can be better because it's easier to build arrows to the proper spine rating with better consistency. "Archer's paradox" simply refers to having the optimum amount of flexibility in the arrow for it to release and wobble horizontally without touching the bow and then come back to true flight.
>>
>>29070890
>Forgot to add, never ever use carbon arrows with a longbow. They are too stiff, and will always bounce off your bow body.
Only if you use arrows that aren't the right spine.
>>
>>29061752

I bought a Bear Montana a week ago.

I got a 50 lbs bow and literally couldnt even string it at first.

Eventually I figured it out. I couldnt even drawn the arrow until 3/4ths, without having to let go.

A week later, Im alrady able to hold it for a few seconds.

Its a tough work out, but Im confident that ill be able to draw full length and hold as long as needed within the month.
>>
>>29071765
You should've started a lot smaller. You need to be strong enough/low enough draw weight to draw, hold, and release without a twitch so you can focus on good form first, then you can work on increasing draw weight.

Takedown recurves are considered the best way to start out because you don't need to buy an entire bow when you need to change weights, just the limbs.
>>
>>29071551
I did mention that aluminum works, but you need to heavily underspine the arrows compared to the manufacturer's spine charts. Carbon doesn't flex the same way - it snaps back too fast - and I have never had good results shooting it from a longbow.
>>
File: Image30.jpg (293KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Image30.jpg
293KB, 1280x720px
>>29061752
Britfag here, I have a couple of entry level bows but mostly crossbows.
30lb draw weight should be fine for you op.

If you're interested in any of my videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/Weaponsandstuff93
>>
>>29067706
>>29068311
I just don't understand all of the formal ritual stuff, culminating in a FRIGGIN MISS. I mean, it's like furiously masturbating to the point of climax, and then...well...missing.
>>
>>29067706
is the goal to miss? or are they just shitty? or is this some bullshit where the zen meditation bullshit is what's important, and not where the arrow actually goes?
>>
>>29073418
>>29073675
Like many other things Japanese (eg, martial arts) the ritual IS the sport. It's a cultural art as much if not more then a martial one.

unrelated, posting bait:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk
>>
>>29074591
>>29067706

Is there actually anything to holding the arrow on the right side of the bow?
>>
>>29074651
Taking a closer look, I don't think so. The arrow is resting on the back of her thumb, and her forefinger is gripping the arrow knock with a bit of a twist that's pushing the arrow into the bow.

Looking at her form in general, it's clearly not designed for accuracy. I'd view it more like a dance or performance art, honestly.
>>
>>29074591
I understand it's not combat archery. but I can't imagine that missing the mark is intentional.
>>
>>29074986
I know nothing about yumi archery. But from the looks of it, I'd say accuracy is relative, as in the archer that does the best within the limitations of the traditional form. The form itself is clearly not optimized for best results. I mean, looking at it, it drives me kinda nuts.
>twisting the arrow into the bow
>drawing while away from the body (omg the leverage involved must fuck up her shoulders)
>that snap on release

That said, she did get a good group, two shots within an inch of each other. Whatver the limitations of the form, she's obviously able to generate a lot of consistency. She also activates her laterals while drawing, something that the Olympic technique (stupidly) doesn't do, so that's a plus as well.
>>
>>29074591
That video never fails to entertain me.
>>
File: archery_5.jpg (124KB, 857x396px) Image search: [Google]
archery_5.jpg
124KB, 857x396px
>>29074651
Typical western technique slides the string off the fingers to the left, so that's the side the arrow optimally is released from. In Japanese style they pinch the arrow and let the bow flip around to the back of the arm.
>>
>>29075112
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3QRc_OShE
Keep in mind that it's a cavalry bow being fired the same way they do it mounted, so they're trying an instinctual technique in a precision ritual.
>>
>>29075357
Ok, it makes a lot more sense in that context. You'd need the pinch to hold the arrow while galloping around and the strange draw to lift the bow over the horses head. I get it now.
>>
I have a 70-lb compound bow and I have no problem with it; I'm not even yoked either.
>>
Is there any target shooting archery gear that doesn't look like it's issued to Power Rangers?
>>
>>29076272
PSE sells black Olympic bows.
>>
OP here, thanks guys.
Think I'm going to go with the Samick Journey instead of the Sage. I have a 30" draw and the Sage says not to go over 29".
>>
>>29061752
I'd actually go at least 45. Or 50 if you maybe don't have a huge wingspan.

40 is enough for deer I believe, and whatever you get, if you just spend a minute or two every day practising, you'll get used to it.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.