[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible for me to get treatment for my severe depression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: 67346834.jpg (303KB, 1500x975px) Image search: [Google]
67346834.jpg
303KB, 1500x975px
Is it possible for me to get treatment for my severe depression and anxiety without losing one of the very few things I love in life?
>>
>>28906055
Talk to a therapist and never mention that you own guns. See how it goes and try as hard as you can not to accept any medications (that's how they get you).
>>
>>28906055
You have to be involuntarily committed to lose your guns I think.

>t. suffer from treatment-resistant depression, ocd, and anxiety, take meds, own long guns (no handguns) and keep ammo at local range
>>
Get a dog, they're the best.
>>
>>28906055
Get on meds dude.

As long as u werent involuntarily committed you are fine.
>>
>>28906055
1) Move somewhere that makes you happy, preferably in the middle of nowhere where the stresses of modern life are absent or minimal.
2) Stop being a pussy.
3) Stop being 18.
>>
>>28906182

For now.

This is your daily reminder that in the US, a mental health care provider can keep entirely subjective notes about what he perceives as your mental state, never allow you access to those notes and present them to law enforcement to be used to deny you your civil rights. Especially the right to keep and bear arms.
>>
>>28906222
I know but unless you are going to order your medicines online with no doctor from some oversea pharmacy... There isnt much options.

They make it so you either
a) End up offing yourself
b) Go see a doctor and get meds and get your civil liberties stolen
>>
>>28906055
your medical records are private and your FFL transfer agent has no legal standing in which to request them.

HIPAA > whatever the AFT can come up with
>>
>>28906222
as an added nota bene, psychology is junk pseudoscience. your therapist is a quack that peddles snake oil.
>>
>>28906253
Uneducated thing to say.

The only thing that has worked for me is antidepressants.

You people are the reason I put off going to a doctor to fix and easily treatable disease for most of my life.
>>
>>28906237

Or, you know, just don't take a bunch of psychotropic chemicals foisted upon you by the pharmaceutical industry without any real understanding of how they actually work.

That whole "chemical imbalance" theory of depression? You should know that nobody has ever proven that scientifically. So every SSRI administered in the world is done so without a fundamental understanding of how it works. Some people get Happy Pills and feel happy. Some people get Happy Pills, develop bipolar disorder and blow their own heads off. When questioned about this, the industry essentially just says "Well, they were depressed anyway. Shit happens.".

Yeah, no. Psychology is the height of quackery and antidepressants are basically just the newest thing in a long line of fucked up "treatments" for "mental illness". Right behind lobotomies, shock therapy and cold water baths.

No thanks, man.
>>
>>28906055
>implying you actually have a mental illness
You are a mentally healthy person living in a sick world. Experiencing misery under these conditions only proves that you are still sane.
>>
>>28906253

Yep.

Ever been to a shrink? I have. Dumb bitch had me doing fucking homework. "What do you like least about yourself?" What do I like least about myself? The fact that I'm paying $300/week for some twat to talk to me and offer absolutely no beneficial commentary. I would literally have been better off hiring a hooker every friday. Told the shrink that, too. Of course, I just got another noncommittal non-answer.

Fuck shrinks. I'm not pickling my brain with a bunch of unproven chemistry and I'm not doing 6th grade-level homework. I'm especially not going to put my right to own firearms in the hands of some twat who keeps secret notes about me that she may or may not present to law enforcement as proof that I should be denied my civil rights.
>>
>>28906272
Deep....maaaaaaan
>>
>>28906272
This is so true it hurts a little
>>
>>28906055
>treatment for my severe depression and anxiety
By being a man and stop being an emotional panzy. Only excuse to be depressed is if you have a terminal illness, or if you were born a manlet.
>>
>>28906272
Learning to cope with this misery is key. It's all to easy to let it consume you. It takes time and work to rewire your brain to think differently. It's like lifting weights, it could take your whole life to get as strong as you'd like to be, but at least every day you'll get a little stronger.
>>
>>28906267
I agree with you man.

I have tried every nutritional therapy and I even have been doing x-country running since I was like 16. Depression is real. People who do not have clinical depression cannot comprehend the difference but the difference between being situationally sad and clinically depressed is immense.

IME, the only thing I can base any advice to the OP, major depression has been best treated with SSRIs for me.

I have had it since I was 16. And I have been against prescription medications for psychiatric reasons my whole life. I still think way too many people who dont have anything wrong with them clinically are getting free mind-candies, but I do know from personal experience and talking with others that it does help those who need it immensely.
>>
>>28906260

Hey, lots of people said their lobotomies improved their lives, too. A few others didn't say shit afterwards because they were too busy playing in their own feces.

You are taking a chemical who nobody fully understands that may very well end up increasing your risk of behaviors that it was especially intended to prevent. My mother takes antidepressants. Has tried for years to get me to take them too. Of course, she becomes deeply suicidal whenever they send her the generic version or her meds get too warm in the mailbox. But I need that shit because I'm the alcoholic. My mother has fried her brain on antidepressants and my brother is addicted to Valium but I'm the addict because I go through a fifth of bourbon every other week. Being dependant upon something Big Pharma pushes=good, occasionally using a recreation drug from Kentucky=bad.

Yeah, no. I'll keep my Wild Turkey, you keep chemically fucking your brain with Pfizer's stock margins.
>>
>>28906304
>Your therapist tried to help you delve into your own self hate
>You got uncomfortable and told her you'd rather buy a hooker

Autism confirmed
>>
>>28906267
>Psychology is the height of quackery

What about psychiatry? Can't prescribe meds so less chance of them pushing whatever pills paid for their last vacation, yes?
>>
>>28906353
Psychiatrists prescribe meds.

Psychologists study psychology.

therapists talk to you and cant prescribe.

know the dif
>>
>>28906347

You should drink more, you're still an angst ridden faggot. Total picture of mental health.
>>
>>28906244
This. you can absolutely seek treatment for things like depression or anxiety and they have no effect on you owning guns.... unless you live in a shit hole like New Jersey. and like anon has pointed out they really have no way of finding out about your treatments. either way I still wouldn't let gun people know you have depression and I wouldn't let depression people know you have guns.
>>
>>28906364

Educated response?
>>
>>28906103
>keeps ammo at local range

That's a brilliant idea. Not OP, but I think I'll do that too.
>>
>>28906383
Yes it was.
>>
>>28906349

The whole point was that she didn't do anything. All I was doing in there was effectively talking to myself. The bitch did nothing but repeat what I said back to me and try to shovel meds at me.

I really would have been happier spending that money on a whore.
>>
>>28906402

If you say so, buddy.

Enjoy your random bipolar episodes when your meds get too hot or somebody fucks up the formula.
>>
>>28906453
I have never heard of that happening.
>source; licensed psychiatrist
>>
>>28906055
Get laid and get a gf
It is amazing what having a significant other and a good fuckig can do for people both physically and mentally.
>>
>>28906361
In two states clinical psychologists can go to training to be allowed to prescribe psychotropics.
>>
>>28906453
Kek, I'm not taking anything. Enjoy your failing liver. But you sure showed the big, bad companies.
>>
>>28906460

Post your credentials with timestamp, doctor.
>>
>>28906055
Actually the act of shooting guns could possibly help.

I suffer from anxiety disorders and was having some pretty bad anxiety attacks last week, then I went shooting on Friday and was then anxiety free for about three or so days.
>>
Cure to "depression"
1.) Get a start on a career or job path
2.) Work as much as you can and/or take classes as much as you can
3.) Invest in your hobby and spend your downtime working on whatever you love instead of constant TV/Internet.
4.) Get a dog or pet that can love you back.
5.) Get a significant other who treats you well and can give you sex. Along with motivation to get out the house.
6.) Start forcing yourself to interact with people more and force yourself to make small-talk and be friendly.
7.) Start working out regularly scheduled and stick to it.
8.) Eat a balanced diet, I eat a paleo diet and that seems to be helping me a lot.
>>
>>28906055
cannabis.
>>
>>28906481

Liver's fine. Just had blood work a week ago and I'm healthy as a horse.

I also don't call up family members in the middle of the night weeping because I fucked my brain up with Happy Pills.
>>
File: 1308578718771.jpg (66KB, 612x556px) Image search: [Google]
1308578718771.jpg
66KB, 612x556px
Depression is a perfectly sane response to modern domestic living as far as I'm concerned and I think most of /k/s heroes would be just as bored and miserable in our time.

As much as I hate for /k/ommandoes to think I'm a pussy or less of a man than they are I'm depressed currently myself and frankly a large factor of that is it is mid winter. The following is just what's working for me;

I recently learned about the book Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihaly I don't necessarily recommend the book itself (I'm only a few chapters in and they make me want to top myself) but the concept at it's core sums up how I've always got out of depression personally. Well the full way was through regular physical exercise and especially weight lifting but I think this flow concept is the psychological core underneath all the chemical and biological benefits your body rewards you with for pushing it to it's limit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
I've been tying complex decorative knots in work to use this to get me through the days and it works as on the spot relief.

I never went for professional help before because i thought it would stand in the way of gun ownership and a military career those days are passed now anyway but I'm pretty much on top of getting through on my own. That said the best antiDepressant by far is leading a good fulfilling life. That's easily said but if you're having a shit one it is worth considering just getting as far away as possible and doing something cool for a while. I'm considering doing a long bushcraft course somewhere beautiful in the summer.

As far as anxiety is concerned I don't have much of a problem with that but I did get over my fear of heights while working up ships masts by using 'Tactical Breathing' meditation. I found it on a SealFit video and thought it would be a load of shite but it worked a treat and really improved most aspects of my life actually and I highly reccomend it.
>>
SSRIs do absolutely nothing other than cause addiction

source: i have been on and off antidressants for the last 11 years and have had no significant changes to my mental state of being chronically depressed other than having my mind numbed and emotions dulled while on the meds.

have recently decided to quit being dependent on someone else for my happiness after a 3 year stint of being medicated, it has been 6 months since i have had my last dose and the only notable changes to my mental state are increased mental acuity. because of this fact i feel it would be safe to say that psyche meds are actually a detriment as the only noticeable affect they have had on me is decreased alertness and cognitive problems.

always remember, a patient cured is a customer lost, though dr shekelstein would have you believe different.
>>
>>28906496
Nor do I. I also don't need to drink to solve my problems.
>>
>>28906502
>le jew maymay
You forgot about the chemtrails.
>>
File: image.png (131KB, 827x638px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
131KB, 827x638px
>>28906561
Daily reminder this is in all tap water in the United States unless specifically removed by local ordinance.
>>
>>28906440
What did you expect her to do or say?
You wanted to get some mind blowing speech telling you exactly what to do to fix the issues you don't even understand after having only met the woman for 10 minutes?

You went in not wanting to change, obviously are still opposed to the idea of change, and yet you thought it's entirely HER fault for not fixing you?

You want "REAL" help and insight?
Okay here it goes, you've got serious misogynistic tendencies, probably severe autism, and anger issues. You are extremely likely to be a faggot that snaps one day and kills chilluns, thus fueling the liberal gun control agenda. My prescription to you is a 9mm pill injected directly to your crazy ass brain at a high velocity.
>>
>>28906583
Damn, I missed out on cavities as a kid. Are they getting my precious fluids too?
>>
File: tumblr_nt98qb9MIe1usm68io1_540.jpg (131KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nt98qb9MIe1usm68io1_540.jpg
131KB, 540x540px
>>28906440
>>28906589
Eh, I endorse the basic sentiment. Apart from drugs, therapy pretty much consists of
1) simple algorithmic shit that can actually be very useful in keeping you from getting too fucked up acutely--helps take the edge off when you're sitting there thinking you want to die. but this stuff is also available in cognitive behavioral therapy workbooks and the like for free, or near enough as makes no difference.
2) someone paying attention to you and being nice to you for an hour once a week. Cf hookers or legit massage therapists, and consider that physical touch seems to have various important mental health effects. (On the other hand, most universities have free shrinks, but not, sadly, free hookers.).

>>28906497
>Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihaly
Good rec.
>>
>>28906347
>Wild Turkey
If you're going to talk shit about what people put into their bodies, at least drink some decent whiskey. Have some self respect.
>>
>>28906489
Essentially get out of you comfort zone cause the devil you know isn't doing you any favors anyway.
>>
Find out why you are depressed.

Treat the causes instead of the symptoms.
>>
>>28906055
nope. Soon as you go see a shrink they'll have you on eight different watch lists. You'll get the same FBI scrutiny as some asshole in a neo nazi militia and the atf will be foaming at the mouth to take your guns and shoot your dog.
don't do it OP, smoke a j or drink a couple of beers at night and start working out. Does wonders for the self esteem and the venting of stress helps get rid of the depression. Making a move or job change can also help, it your career makes you feel like you're going nowhere.
>>
>>28906681
>most universities have free shrinks, but not, sadly, free hookers
Brothels are code-named "sororities."
>>
>>28906055

This anon

>>28906168

Is absolutely right.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.