[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M-14 info please!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: M21_m1a.jpg (5KB, 340x116px) Image search: [Google]
M21_m1a.jpg
5KB, 340x116px
I want to buy an M-14 but I'm not sure what I should pay for it. Online they range from $1,300 - $2,200
What's a fair price if I find one at a gun shop?

Also, is the socom 16 possibly a better choice? I've been told it isn't as accurate as a classic M-14.
>>
Springfield, best bang for the buck
>>
>>28599529
longer the barrel more accuracy in this case. Go for M1A loaded, I bought one 3 years ago and I'm very satisfied with it. About $1500 give or take. Don't listen to milled vs cast receivers debate, there is no practical difference with current metallurgical process. And finally, don't pay any attention to that dumbfuck Ian and his M1A torture test. M1A is an improved garand design and during D day they had their garands wrapped in plastic bags while traversing the surf, if this is the kind of rifle you want know that it will serve you superbly as long as you dont pack mud in its receiver, oh the horror
>>
>>28599529
classic is great, scout is best, socom is last place.
M14's are fun too shoot, can be really accurate, and are a great gun.

people will tell you there are better choices, and there might be, but none of them feel as good or look as good as the M14.

its just great, /k/ hates things that are expensive so you will get a lot of hate for even making this thread
>>
>>28599691
What do they cost used?

Also, A gun salesmen told me a .308 isn't enough to take down a Grizzly bear and that i need a 7 mm rifle MINIMUM to get the job done. This is bullshit right?
>>
>>28599740
HA i dont care about price, i just dont want to be ripped off is all.
With my next job i will be making 5k a month so i dont want to skimp on my "Bear gun"
>>
>>28599745
in short, yes.
>>
>>28599745
7mm is smaller than 0.3 inches.

He was either trolling you or he's a fucking retard.
>>
>>28599529
An M-14 would be a great weapon for grizzly hunting though right?
>>
>>28599992
For grizzly hunting you want glorious Mosin Nagant, for you have powerful 7.62x54r, if bear can get through that you can stab him from great distance with long bayonet, if bear can get past stabbing you can club him to death for rifle has much weight.
>>
>>28600060
Op here, i own a Mosin Nagant but i've been told it isn't quite accurate enough for hunting. Always thought it was bullshit. Is it?
>>
>>28599992
.308 with the proper bullet will take all North American game.
>>
>>28599529
18 inches is a great length for them if it's gonna be a hunting rifle.

I like my 22 inch because I like being far away from critters with teeth that out weigh me.
Great gun and I love mine.

That being said it has issues.

Mounting optics is costly to do properly.
ARMS# 18 or some of the other high end mounts are almost required for a solid mount that won't loose zero.

Cheek weld will be chin weld so you need a raiser.

Reloading you will only get 4 reloads from each set of brass due to how the extractor works and how violent the action is. ( case neck issues and other strange wear and tare)

If you're going to get it glass bedded to help with the accuracy you need to find someone who is skilled in it or you might as well not.

once you do glass bed it , don't take it apart every damn day or you will see "wiggle".

If you don't maintain the weapon to a ridiculous standard, it will float around 2 MOA

NM is a great buy for long range ( ~800 M)
Loaded is good for mid range ( 600)
Standaered is great for midish range (~400)

The issue with the scout is how dirty and how it handles the .308 round due to barrel length of the operation system. The shorter barrel is hard on the system and limits the rifles life spawn imo the gun beats it self to death.

A fair price for a loaded used is around 1200. or 1000.

If you want a long range M14/ m25 like set up, build one with a lugged receiver from LRB or something, but do a lot of reading before hand.
>>
>>28600157
Such as?
>>
don't buy an M1A buy an AR-10 and save yourself time money and frustration
>>
>>28600308
>Such as?

All?
>>
>>28600308
http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-168-gr-BTHP-Match/
As an example. There are so many choices Anon.
>>
>>28600383
>168 gr

>Bear

you better be veryyy far away anon.
>>
>>28599745
Op i would get a bolt action for hunting. There is not much reason to go with a semi auto for a hunting rifle, but you can totally still do it. It is completely possible to take down a bear with a semi auto 308 m1a, which is my favorite gun of all time btw, but it is in my opinion easier to use a remington 700 in 300 win mag.
>>
>>28600397
Was just an example. There's a lot of different shit you can use.
>>
>>28600060
Or the bear would just steal the nugget and go full commie to take on the capitalist wasteland by himself.
>>
File: M1A_NationalMatch.jpg (3MB, 2405x3605px) Image search: [Google]
M1A_NationalMatch.jpg
3MB, 2405x3605px
My NM Springfield has been awesome.
>>
>>28600414
gonna say It'd go with the 175's minimum.. and the m1a doesn't like much more than 168
>>
>>28600151
Go fuck your self you dumb shit. If you have it you shot it, you should be familiar with the accuracy of that rifle
>>
File: RealNATO.gif (101KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
RealNATO.gif
101KB, 450x450px
>>28600151
>Mosin Nagant
>not accurate

Pure, unadulterated bullshit. Nagant is much accurate. More than enough for the hunting.
>>
>>28600463
Hey anon, I have a loaded version. Is it worth it to upgrade to NM?
>>
>>28600401
Thanks for the advice
>>
>>28600519
Maybe if you get the stainless barrel. I have a standard and I wouldn't pay more for a non chrome lined medium weight barrel.
>>
>>28599718
>longer the barrel more accuracy in this case.
No.

>Don't listen to milled vs cast receivers debate, there is no practical difference with current metallurgical process.
No.

>And finally, don't pay any attention to that dumbfuck Ian and his M1A torture test
No tho. Stop being a bullshit spreader.
>>
>>28600382
The bullet load I meant, sorry
>>
>>28599529
OP, I'm gonna try to hit all of your main points.

>M14?
Technically you're looking for M1A's, non-military rifles. M14's are usually select-fire or at least issued by the U.S. Government at some time. Norinco, Springfield, and Fulton Armory are current manufacturers of such rifles.

>Price?
Norinco (Canada) is a Chinese copy, usually like $800. Springfield Armory is your middle-of-the-road rifle for $1300-1800. Fulton is nearing custom-tier and pretty much banks on that fact, expect $2700-4500.

>Accuracy?
Longer barrels and weight usually make rifles more accurate. Longer barrels and weight also make something a pain in the ass for hunting. However, more than likely any of these will be much more accurate than you ever will be. An 18" barrel is the minimum length for a .308 to effectively burn all the powder and give you the best ballistics possible.

>Hunting?
.308 will do most anything you need it to. There's lighter bullets in the 120-ish grain area for things like badgers, groundhogs, and coyotes, 150 grains for deer, sheep, or hogs, then heavier bullets, 180+ for elk or bear. Most your medium to big game can easily be taken with the proper bullet.

>Ammo?
7.62x51 or .308. ZQI from Walmart runs $0.50 a round.

>Optics?
0-300 yards? Red dot. 300-500 yards? 3-9x40. 300-500+ yards? 4-12x50. 0-500 yards? 1-6x24. Try Vortex, Strikefire II, Sparc II, Venom, Strike Eagle, or their Crossfire II's are all excellent.

If I were you I'd get a Springfield Armory M1A-A1 Scout, mount a 1-6x24 Vortex Strike Eagle on it, get a sling, then a 10-rounder and a couple twenties and call it a day.
>>
>>28600346
>>28600346
I thought an AR 10 was extremely expensive?
>>
File: 1444087557762.jpg (29KB, 253x259px) Image search: [Google]
1444087557762.jpg
29KB, 253x259px
>>28600502
Ha your pretty mad, I haven't scoped my Mosin yet so idk if it is accurate at 200 yards
>>
>>28600601
lol poorfag.
>>
>>28600601
PA-10 is cheap as chips.
>>
>>28600591
Great post. Thanks for that bit on optics
>>
>>28600519

My friend has a loaded and gets pretty good accuracy out of it. However, it's still said to be a 1.5 MOA rifle while the NM should get you closer to 1 MOA. I've actually shot some .65" groups with this thing when I had a scope on it. I also have just about every Sadlak upgrade on it (gas piston, guide rod, mag release) and an adjustable gas plug.

However, the upgrades the NM has can be applied to the loaded for not a whole lot. A unitized gas system is $100 if you can find one (they went out of stock at Midway when I ordered mine. I de-unitized it to put it in an EBR chassis then didn't like it all that much so I had to buy a new one). You can also have your current gas system unitized by a competent smith (it's really just attaching the front barrel band to the gas cylinder). The hooded rear can be had for $50. Then whatever a bedding job is going to run you. I can't recall if they use epoxy on the hand guard for both of them. If not, add that in too. Though, I'm not sure how much this will improve your accuracy. I'm sure it's marginal. Supposed to help with harmonics or some shit.

If you can sell the rifle and pay 3-400 more for a NM, I'd do it. If that isn't the case though, I'd just upgrade it. That's my 2 cents.
>>
>>28600631
Tell me what they cost in usd rather that just talk shit on a Prussian white chocolate forum
>>
>>28600699
>Prussian white chocolate forum
One day this meme will die and you'll feel silly for ever using it.

Gonna be about the same price as an M1A, and infinitely better in terms of functionality.
>>
>>28600554

The barrels are supposedly held to different standards for each model. Also, who gives a shit about chrome lining when you're shooting .308/7.62?
>>
>>28600691

I forgot to mention that my NM's trigger is significantly nicer than my buddy's loaded. However, Springfield's triggers seem to be a mixed bag so that may have just been dumb luck.
>>
>>28600691
Not that anon. I recently got an m1a, shot it and cleaned it. Took apart my gas cilinder to clean it, and didn't mark it before taking it apart. Now it only shoots in single action, have to cock it for every shot. How do I correctly assemble gas plug to bring it back to semi auto?
>>
>>28600898
My loaded trigger is incredible, so fucking crisp
>>
>>28600923
Turn the gas knob to semi
>>
>>28600308

Are you stupid?
>>
>>28600578
To be fair the test is fairly useless. It does well to debunk alot of fudd lore.
>>
>>28600958
>To be fair the test is fairly useless. It does well to debunk alot of fudd lore.
>useless
>debunks fuddlore
Wat?
>>
File: image216.jpg (17KB, 211x276px) Image search: [Google]
image216.jpg
17KB, 211x276px
>>28600923

Check your spindle valve.
>>
>>28600976
The myth that it was a 100% best reliable gun ever. Which is obviously bullshit because nothing is ever 100%. But the test is pretty stupid to begin with since 99% of people will never have their rifle in a situation where it is buried and caked in mud. My point is that there are lots of people completely panning the gun over one induced failure by Ian, yet preach their favorites as being sacrosanct and infallible.
>>
>>28600940
>>28601003
Thank you gents
>>
>>28600943
What are you on about?
>>
>>28601063
>The myth that it was a 100% best reliable gun ever
That would be the AKs myth, not the M1A.

>But the test is pretty stupid to begin with since 99% of people will never have their rifle in a situation where it is buried and caked in mud.
Irrelevant point to the discussion, it was a demonstration of the inherent flaws in the action.

>My point is that there are lots of people completely panning the gun over one induced failure by Ian
Oh is that all?

>yet preach their favorites as being sacrosanct and infallible.
I never illustrated I have this mentality, why are you imagining things?
>>
>>28601109
>AKs myth not M1a

Lots of people believe the M1A/Garand is the best thing ever.

>demonstrates inherent flaws in the action

More like it demonstrates you can fuck up a gun when you dump shit in the action.

>Oh is that all?

I guess? What's your problem?

>I never.

Did I say you? You sound like a schizophrenic
>>
>>28601155
>Lots of people believe the M1A/Garand is the best thing ever.
And?

>More like it demonstrates you can fuck up a gun when you dump shit in the action
Then why did the guns all react differently to the conditions provided?

>I guess? What's your problem?
I see you misunderstood, the M1A has a history of shortcomings in comparison to other rifles, it's why we've moved on from the action.

>Did I say you? You sound like a schizophrenic
Please provide your psychiatry degree and cite the peer reviewed study on myself that lead you to this arbitrary conclusion.
>>
>bearhunting
>not using ar10 with decent optic
>>
>>28601181
What the fuck is your problem do you even own a gun? Nobody has a horse in this race we are merely debating.
>>
File: 20151212_193800.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151212_193800.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
If you have lots of money go with LRB. If you are poor like me, get a Springfield. If you want a short M14 get a Springfield Scout. The have a standard gas system, which is easier to work on and is generally more reliable than a SOCOM 16.
>>
>>28599834
>>28599745
He probably meant 7mm-mag

I guess it's somewhere around that. 7mm mag, 300 win mag minimum
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.