[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bofors 40mm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: 40mm_2.jpg (83KB, 800x571px) Image search: [Google]
40mm_2.jpg
83KB, 800x571px
Would this be able to penetrate the sides of a modern warship?

I reckon it would fuck it up.
>>
They literally are still in service dumbass
>>
modern warships dont have much in the way of armour
>>
>>28451996
1. Probably. Ships don't have much in the way of armor these days.

2. Probably not, internals are very compartmentalized. Unless damage control is absolute ass and/or you get a very lucky hit something important, frigate-sized or bigger isn't going to notice much. Maybe if it just sat there and let you shoot it, eventually you'd get somewhere.
>>
File: 40mm.jpg (66KB, 469x768px) Image search: [Google]
40mm.jpg
66KB, 469x768px
What’s the armor penetration capabilities of the WWII Bofors 40mm L/60 40x311mm and the post-war 40mm L/70 40x364mm?
>>
File: IMG_7863.jpg (43KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7863.jpg
43KB, 800x533px
>>28452133
Considering that there's currebtly APFSDS rounds for L/70, the difference is bound to be dramatic.
>>
>>28452009
They are literally still being made, dumbass.
>>
>>28452009

So why don't we see more ships being sunk by them?
>>
>>28452048
If the ship is in range of the 40mm, it's going to fire all it's ammo into the frigate/destroyer.

Eventually you'll set the fuel on fire or blow up the munition stores.
>>
>>28452686
Because there hasn't been a serious naval war/battle since WWII ? At least none that I can think of.
>>
>>28452686
Because there is very little naval combat being done at the moment?

Seriously, do you think that there are major battles going on?
>>
>>28452692
Maybe if the crew let's you do it, but otherwise you're going to get killed with a quickness. Your best bet is to make a Q-ship, but even then you're going to be blown out of the water long before you could possibly wreck all the weapons that ship could kill you with, unless the crew literally isn't operating the ship.
>>
>>28451996
As a matter of fact, a San Antonio class ship sunk an Iranian frigate with it's 30mm and 0.50 cal guns in a simulation that stood
>>
>>28452936
>muh simulations!
>>
>>28452717
Falklands
>>
>>28453059
To be honest, I'may not very skeptical. These are Iranians we're talking about, after all.
>>
>>28453090
Did it assume their CIWS intercepted all the missiles or something?
>>
>>28451996
Are we talking ww2 L60 or modern L70?
And yes, it would. Most modern warships don't have armor except in some rare specific rooms.
>>
>>28453117
I'm not that fag, I couldn't tell you. I just wouldn't be surprised if an Arabian crew let a 25,000 ton ship get within 5km of it, before letting that ship fill it with enough 30mm to sink it.

Whether the scenario stands, falls, or makes me some steamed pork dumplings, that's a fairly accurate representation of the Muslim world's track record of late.
>>
File: cat and retard.jpg (25KB, 375x499px) Image search: [Google]
cat and retard.jpg
25KB, 375x499px
>>28453206
>Arabian
>Iran
>>
>>28453117
Yeah, the RAM intercepted all the anti ship missiles, them the frigate closed to 76mm range, openn fire, scored a few hits, but expended all ammo. It moved closer to engage with secondaries, at which point the San Antonio was able to engage and sank it in a protracted duel. Kinda wish I took screen shots of that thread now.
>>
>>28453220
Persian then. Still shit-tier.
>>
>>28453242
sounds like wishful thinking
Was the frigate slower than the san antonio? How does it close the distance?
>>
>>28452230
That...that doesn't make sense.
>>
>>28453321
The San Antonio had to slow to around 14kts I believe due to damage, so the frigate was easily capable of catching it
>>
>>28453083
>Falklands
>serious
Argies got buttraped, Brits laughed and had crumpits.
>>
>>28453350
What about it troubles you? Bofors is still making new L/60s.
>>
>>28453402
That you called him a dumbass, nothing about him saying 'they're still deployed' precludes them still being made.
It was an utterly pointless comment, whereas the initial comment, pointing out that they ought to still be effective, since they're still in service, made sense.
>>
>>28453422
I'm not that fag.
>>
Keeping in mind that 40 Bofors mounts on ships were used for anti-air, they would most likely be armed with HE shells, not great for punching through armor. That being said, 40mm HE rounds will do just fine destroying radars, optics, anything on deck, and even do a number of the bridge. So at best you are looking at a mission kill where the target ship has lost all of it's sensors and long range weapons.

If we are talking about modern 40mm guns like those mounted on the CV90 that are armed with AP ammo, then yea sure you can punch holes in pretty much any modern warship all day, but the result is going to be much the same. Most of the spaces around the outside hull are going to be non-critical places like offices, workshops and storage areas. You now have a good chance of punching through any hangers and damaging the helos inside though, as well as disabling gun turrets or armored launchers that are not quite as fragile as other weapons.

tl;dr: Enough 40mm will ruin anyone's day, but you won't be sinking a modern ship even if they let you sit there and fill them full of holes all day.
>>
>>28453361
>Brits laughed and had crumpits.
It must of been fun.
>http://www.naval-history.net/F62-Falklands-British_ships_lost.htm
>>
>>28453431
Oh ok, well that guy is most certainly a fag.
>>
>>28453474
>four ships sunk
>a shit load of 'slightly damaged'
Yeah, it does seem pretty fun.
>>
>>28453568
By aircraft, no less. Most, by dumb iron bombs. Had the Argies knew to adjust the timer on their bombs, six more ships would have been sunk. It later turns out that the US witheld the manual from the Argies on how to the modification. Of course the Argies cried foul.
>>
>>28452171
How much damage can that small needle do?
>>
>>28457023
Enough to kill a man
>>
They mount them on CV90s
>>
>>28453472
>Enough 40mm will ruin anyone's day, but you won't be sinking a modern ship even if they let you sit there and fill them full of holes all day.
What about a magazine hit?
>>
>>28457023
Depends what it hits. Most of the juiciest stuff is buried deep, and some of it is armored. You could definitely fuck shot up though. Radars, the 5 inch gun, shot like that. Though in all likelihood, it's not going to hit anything important.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.