[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rem 870 Extractor 'Jamming'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: 870-Extractor.jpg (1MB, 1920x2160px) Image search: [Google]
870-Extractor.jpg
1MB, 1920x2160px
Remington 870 Synthetic 18" (90s made, WAY before Cerberus). First time I took it to the range it would cycle fine until I tried cycling it fast. It jammed and the extractor wouldn't ramp over the shell rim to pull it out.

Some of the time when I'm cycling it unloaded the extractor will hit the barrel and stop the bolt instead of ramping in the extractor groove away from it. The extractor appears to not be deformed so I'm thinking the spring is pushing the extractor too far inwards.

Anyone experience anything like this and have a fix? I'm going to clean/lube it right now and see if it improves. The extractor moves freely (but very gritty) with good spring tension.
>>
bump. pls help
>>
>>28375022

Problem is obvious. Should've bought an Ithaca or Mossberg.
>>
>>28375022
how worn is the barrel does the notch look all sorts of peened cant really tell cause of the flash

i had an 870 like that and my fix was filing the notch in the barrel more so it wouldnt get stuck the gun seemed to function fine after that but i never felt like i fixed it the proper way cause the brass would get marked up eventually i just replaced the barrel which brought the gun back to working correctly
>>
>>28375472

Barrel might be slightly dinged up and I kind of did anticipate having to take a file to it. No big deal if that's the fix.

I'm selling it and need to fix this shit without mangling the gun.
>>
>>28375489
i dont think its the proper fix cause i didnt see anyone on the internet recommending it most people were saying replace the barrel or send it in but i bought the gun used and cheap so i didnt really give a shit as long as it worked
it functioned but well try it at your own risk

on mine there was a fairly large burr in the barrel slot i just removed it with a file
you could tell the barrel wasnt properly supporting the brass afterwards cause the brass would try to expand into the enlarged notch but it stopped jamming and didnt explode
then when i got around to the replacement barrel it went back to normal
>>
File: 870-barrel.jpg (1003KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
870-barrel.jpg
1003KB, 3264x1836px
Here's a pic of the barrel. Looks a bit worn and slightly dinged but certainly no fucking big enough to cause the Extractor to not go up the ramp.

I still think the spring is pushing the extractor too far inwards.
>>
the extractor might be out of spec id replace it and the spring pushing it before fucking with the barrel just cause fuck with the cheapest parts first
>>
>>28375581
The spring should not be able to do that. Try replacing the extractor or bolt as needed.
>>
File: its probably the extractor.png (3MB, 2107x971px) Image search: [Google]
its probably the extractor.png
3MB, 2107x971px
>>28375022
>>28375581
Its probably the extractor, and the extractor hitting the ramp on the barrel probably left the dimple I circled.
Disassemble the extractor, clean, lube, put it back together. Try not to launch the spring/plunger.

The little dimple I on the ramp here was probably not the cause of your problem, but once the extractor moves easily it may not slide home properly if it catches so I'd recommend lightly filing it down so it doesn't beat it up any more.
>>
File: IMG_3735.jpg (68KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3735.jpg
68KB, 1024x682px
>>28375581
that looks damaged and i can tell you how it happened. the gun was not tightened properly maybe like a quarter turn loose or something. not enough to stop it from functioning but enoughplay that the extractor could go in the barrel
then the gun was cycled and fired repeatedly
the extractor is stronger than the thin edge of the barrel and the barrel starts to peen eventuality its so damaged the edge broke off than the extractor will always go into the barrel
if the barrel was installed properly the extractor never hits the thin edge so theres no damage to the barrel
>>
File: Rem-4.jpg (2MB, 1920x3240px) Image search: [Google]
Rem-4.jpg
2MB, 1920x3240px
Thanks for the advice brahs. I gave everything a good cleaning and coat of Ballistol and lightly filed down the extractor and extractor ramp and used some oiled sandpaper to sand out the ding.

Should be better now if not just clean, lubed and looking good again.
>>
>>28375022
looks like you bought an 870 "express"

you need to replace the extractor (as well as a few other parts) to make the gun not be a piece of shit
>>
>>28375022
sell it and get a better gun poorfag
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.