[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /black powder/ here? Anyone got any advise for someone new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 15

File: 53824.jpg (117KB, 900x649px) Image search: [Google]
53824.jpg
117KB, 900x649px
Who /black powder/ here? Anyone got any advise for someone new to black powder rifles?
>>
File: Rifle_CVA-Mountain Rifle.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Rifle_CVA-Mountain Rifle.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>28319263
Never put it away dirty with the thought that you will clean it in a day or two. You won't and you will regret it two months later when you finally get around to it.
>>
>>28319263
I've been looking for where I can buy a cheap barrel to make a homemade matchlock, with little success.

I live in buttfuck nowhere so I can't even just go out and buy 3 feet of stainless steel pipe.
>>
>>28320250
where is this that there is nothing nearby? If there are no other options, I guess just drive to where the pipe is.
>>
>>28320380
I don't even know where to buy 3ft of .5" schedule 80 stainless steel pipe, if I lived in a major city center.
>>
>>28320398
Yeah most of the pipe I see is seamed, too. I live in the urbs and don't know where to find seamless like this guy used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc8nP7CkUpA
I've made a couple things out of half inch copper, but obviously they can't handle much pressure, have to load conservatively.
>>
>>28319263
If the inside diameter of my smoothbore blackpowder rifle is .546", what size ball should I use? .530" + wad?
>>
Proud new owner of a Lyman Great Plains rifle here.
I'm looking for any blackpowder user here to help me get started with it.
Anyone in north Denver area? Boulder/ Ft. Collins?
>>
I very nearly picked up an ASM 1860 Army last weekend. I regret not doing it.
>>
>>28320398
Buy it online, plenty of seamless pipes sellers.
>>
Hi all.
Looking to get a black power long gun; what's the 10/22 of the black powder world?
Also looking for a cap and ball, where should I start?
>>
>>28319543
I did this exactly once, my barrel was in the white too. It took about five hours to remove the rust and polish the barrel again.
I know oil the fuck out of my BP and keep them in silicon gun socks, at minimum.
>>
>>28321225
Spanish in-lines with polymer stocks like CVA and Traditions are pretty close to the starting point for most people, twist rates vary and will affect what projectiles you can use but most get an inbetween with a rate of 1:48ish.
>>
>>28319263
Supposedly some black powder rifles like the one pictured here >>28319543 allow one to easily remove the barrel from the stock for cleaning, I'd highly recommend getting a rifle that you can do that with as it seems like it would make cleaning many times easier.
>>
>>28321587
Yes. Push the two keys out and the barrel lifts right out. There is a hook in the breech plug that fits into the stock tang.
>>
>>28320250
You can get really quality barrel stock from Track of the Wolf, The Log Cabin Shop, Dixie Gun Works and others. All do mail order. Google them.
>>
File: Possibles Bag.jpg (411KB, 1294x1265px) Image search: [Google]
Possibles Bag.jpg
411KB, 1294x1265px
>>28320548
That sounds about right. The was should make it a tight (but not too tight) fit. It should take firm, even pressure to ram the ball. Pillow ticking is the classic was material. Use a patch that is too large and once the ball is started and in the barrel so its top is flush with the muzzle, cut the excess patch material off with a patch knife.
>>
>>28322812
Fuck android was=wad
>>
>>28319263
Set triggers are da bomb.
>>
If I have a .54 calibre muzzle loader, that means I should start with about 50 grain of FFg, right?
>>
>>28323134
About; then work your way up to get a feel of it.
70gr for mine seem to get the best accuracy, but 100gr is a lot of fun too.
>>
>>28323192
My .50 CVA Mountain rifle pictured above loves 80 grain FFFg pushing a patched round ball. Very accurate. And will bust a concrete block at 30 yards.
>>
File: 2015-12-26 12.00.57.jpg (566KB, 1892x2641px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-26 12.00.57.jpg
566KB, 1892x2641px
Hey anons, gramps just busted out the old black powder pistol. I've never shot it before, is it safe to shoot?
>>
>>28323843
If the barrel isn't a sewer pipe it is fine to shoot, just look up what would constitute a light load and go from there.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>28320555
Not in Denver,
If you bought the gun without an owners manual, then find one on line.
Start with a large tackle box or tool box to keep all of your black powder stuff to use.
>>
>>28324002
Used to be a great primitive store with lots of BP stuff in Ft. Collins. Cache le Poudre IIRC.
>>
>>28324002
I've got an online owner's manual and a bag similar to >>28322812 with all of the supplies I should need.
I'm really looking for a good /k/omrade to go out to a range with me and make sure I don't fuck anything up. None of my friends have bp experience.
>>
>>28324130
Pretty hard to mess up. One thing, gauge your bore to the back of the breech by marking your ramrod so you know exactly how deep your unloaded rifle barrel is. This way you will always be able to know if there is a load in the rifle. Concentrate when you load because you don't want to forget and ram a ball in with no powder. Worming a ball out is not fun but pretty much every one ends up doing it sooner or later. Load powder, load and ram ball, cap, fire. Swab barrel and repeat.
>>
What is the average diameter on a touch hole on a matchlock?
>>
>>28324597
From http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/flintlockfaq.html#17

>Are all touch-holes equal?
>Well, yes and no. Three things need be considered. Position of the touch-hole in relation to the pan is important. It should lie about 1/8 inch above the bottom of the pan, centered on the pan from front to back. The size of the touch-hole should be about 1/16 inch, possibly 5/64 inch for reliable, rapid ignition. The shape of the touch-hole channel can also be a factor. A plain, straight hole drilled through the side of the barrel into the bore will work very well, and will last a long time. Possibly a better arrangement is to line or bush the hole with stainless steel. A liner that is drilled on the bore side in the shape of a cone can bring the powder of the main charge to within 1/16 inch of the outside, giving the fastest possible ignition because of the short distance to be traveled by the flash of the prime.
>>
File: image.jpg (444KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
444KB, 2592x1936px
>>28324130
Measure you powder
Of if you prefer pellets, just know they go in a specific way.
Pyrodex has a dark and beveled end that goes toward the breach.
Then top it off with your projectile.
Get the correct one for your rifle.
>>
File: image.jpg (935KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
935KB, 2592x1936px
Clean between shots because accuracy and a clean barrel is easier to load.
Buy lots of patches.
>>
File: EARLY MEUNIER PERCUSSION RIFLE.jpg (386KB, 2448x578px) Image search: [Google]
EARLY MEUNIER PERCUSSION RIFLE.jpg
386KB, 2448x578px
Ok, so i have a .45 T/C Seneca, i want t use it for durr huntin. what grain size and load weight should i try? Favorite brands of black powder/substitutes? I plan on just using patch and ball
>>
>>28326986
If you use patch and ball you are limited to one grain size and you'll need to adjust powder from there.

That being said buy a sampler of a couple of diameters of ball and some diffrent thicknesses of patches becasue there can be a variance of a couple thousandth of an inch for every gun
>>
>>28327039
one grain size? I was meaning FFG or FFFG or even FFFFG, there are even some in between
>>
>>28319263
Keep it clean, every time you take it out. Also be aware of the size of your charge. If you're just out for a good time, 30 gr should do, hunting, somewhat more depending on the range. If you want to put hair on your balls, go bear hunting with a black powder double, just be sure to have something or someone as a backup.
>>
File: image.jpg (710KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
710KB, 2592x1936px
Buy one of these
You WILL loose a patch in the bore.
Besides compressed air, the only way I know to get it out.
>>
Shoot with substitute powder. Ignore people who say not to use substitute powder.
>>
So, are most antique muzzle loaders plugged at one end and you cannot actually pull through?
>>
whats a good company/brand of current made flintlock pistol
>>
>>28327714
I meant that due to the spherical nature any increase of bullet grain will need to correspond with an increase of diameter which is limited to your bore.
>>
>>28327996
Do you know what size that is for a .45?
>>
File: winc_action2.jpg (28KB, 360x489px) Image search: [Google]
winc_action2.jpg
28KB, 360x489px
I have always wanted a Kentucky style flintlock, but don't like the Cabelas ones. Any suggestions?
>>
>>28329559
Have you looked at track of the wolf? Be warned, they are kits
>>
>>28319263
I really want to get into the flintlock/cap gun ring but I'm deathly afraid of overcharging shots and blowing my face up.
>>
What would you guys put over teh mantle? What was usually over the mantle in old cartoons? A blunderbus? Civil war rifle? black powder double barrel?

What would you guys put over your fireplace?
>>
File: killdeer.jpg (31KB, 504x187px) Image search: [Google]
killdeer.jpg
31KB, 504x187px
>>28332567
A Jacob Dickert Pennsylvania flintlock.
>>
Kentucky rifles are bastards to reload, blunderbuss is cool
>>
What's a good price and place online to get FFF powder? No where near me sells the stuff or worse gives me a bottle of smokeless and look confused while I explain this is how people die.
>>
>>28336254
Shooting my uncle's it is very involved but as long as you have those ball tools to start and a oversize brass ramrod it is much easier. Really would not want to use only the included ram rod but it is possible.
>>
>>28325144
Can you cut them down with a saw to fit like 1 1/2 pellets in there?
>>
>>28332567
A Kentucky rifle for freedom!
>>
I have an 1858 replica.

Is there a type of brush that has bristles on the end instead of the wire nipple thing that bore brushes have? I have a hard time cleaning the bottoms of the cylinder.
>>
File: 31kzgjHVWrL.jpg (14KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
31kzgjHVWrL.jpg
14KB, 500x500px
>>28341150
A test tube brush might be what you're looking for.
>>
>>28333342
>>28340484
thanks anon. That Dickbert looks a little too long for me.
>>
>>28342377
That's what she said! Boom!
>>
Anyone know a good black powder channel aside from that capandball dude (who I know isn't all black powder, but still)
>>
>>28342206

Looks good. Thanks.
>>
File: questions.png (3KB, 524x208px) Image search: [Google]
questions.png
3KB, 524x208px
So, I am going to build my own black powder muzzle loader.

I ordered 3 feet of .5" stainless steel pipe. The inside diameter of this smoothbore barrel will be 0.546"

To plug the not muzzle end and make a chamber, which would be better:

1) A .5" thick bolt, covered in JB Weld to fill in the .046" gap and then weld the head of the bolt to the pipe

2) JB weld the inside of the cap on the end of the pipe and perform a socket weld on the outside of the cap.

I am leaning towards the bolt plug because the cap's overhang might interfere with me drilling a touch hole.
>>
>>28344188
British muzzleloaders is brilliant for general knowledge about muzzleloading and rills involving them in general but he sticks to Martinis and Enfeilds murphysmuskets is pretty good too.
>>
File: 1451323388210.png (1KB, 524x208px) Image search: [Google]
1451323388210.png
1KB, 524x208px
>>28344974
Either would work, you could simply use the threading method and put a bolt in so you don't need to drill through the cap
>>
>>28347370
why would I cap a bolt, instead of just either or?
>>
File: 20151227_192634.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151227_192634.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Am I invited?
>>
>>28348202
Seemed to be a secure option with less labor than welding but with the relatively low pressure of black powder it shouldn't really matter.
>>
>>28348243
I personnally cannot thread the inside of the pipe and won't know for a month how much getting a machinist to do it for me will cost.

ANd I'd have to measure the overlap of the cap to determine whether or not it would be able to cover both bolt head and barrel in any meaningful capacity.
>>
>>28348267
I communicated poorly. What I am trying to say is JB weld a straight bolt that is very close to the ID of the pipe and thread the cap on so you do not need to . The bolt and cap are different parts.
>>
>>28348318
I see. But what benefit could a cap have or a bolt head in any case?
>>
>>28348354
It's mainly a way of avoiding welding and using a cap that will have a higher chance of containing the charge. The bolt is more or less a spacer to allow moving the touchhole further down the barrel so you do not have to drill through the cap and threads.
>>
>>28348267
Inside threads are easy so long as the pipe is the right diameter. Tapping isn't rocket science.
>>
>>28348390
If I just jb weld a a straight bolt and cap it with threads, I would be depending solely on on the JB weld hold the bolt in the chamber.

Socket welding a cap or a bolt head to the pipe seems a much more secure option.

>>28348393
It is stand .5" pipe. I am unaware of what tools are needed for interior threading, and the standard required for plugs.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.