[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /k/ sharpen their knives?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 2015-12-20 21.22.33.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-20 21.22.33.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I tried using this lansky knife sharpener, and the results were less than fantastic. The pull through ceramic v actually left my leek duller than it was previously.
I tried 40 passes on each side at about 30 degrees on the straight ceramic section, and that worked alright, but it's still nowhere near as sharp as it was out of the box. Any suggestions, /k/?
>>
I put it in ur mothers tight snatch.
>>
I have a work sharp Ken Onion edition.

It's easy to get the hang of, and makes polished edges in less than five minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Yl_Z-oRkU
>>
File: wharncliffe_first_attempt.jpg (2MB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
wharncliffe_first_attempt.jpg
2MB, 3552x2000px
>>28268744
I tend to use a combination of synthetic (India) stones for course work, and natural Arkansas stones for finer work.

I know the synthetic stones are faster... but the natural stones have sentimental value, since they're how my grandpa taught me to sharpen knives.

Some of the other systems have worked well for folks... I can't seem to get my head around trusting anything other than a flattened rock, personally. Does take some practice, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 355x306px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 355x306px
I use pic related
>>
arkansas stone & patience.
>>
>>28268858
I have one of those and it was all poopy. I got a spyderco sharpmaker and I could shave after sharpening with it.
>>
>>28268744
You dont sharpen with ceramic. Ceramic is for honing an edge, which is to say it smoothes out the burs from sharpening.
You sharpen with a stone, which stone is up to personal prefence and how bad the knife is.
Since it seems you dont know much about the topic I suggest you do some research on it before buying something else.
>>
>>28268909
>You dont sharpen with ceramic.
Those 1200 grit ones will actually sharpen slowly. My 2200 grit one is more of a honing rod though, it doesn't get the dark streaks all over it. It does I guess, but very little vs the rougher one.
>>
>>28268866
I got one I use on my case pocket knife. Goddamn does it work slow, and if you don't sharpen it right you can really fuck up the edge.
>>
Are there any good tutorial videos for learning to sharpest knives? Specifically (if it matters) w/a Norton India stone.
>>
>>28268744
>kershaw leek
Fucking love this knife
>>
I use a lansky system with diamond hones. Word of advice, just buy the three stone system so you get the nice box and rods, and just buy the stones you need. Don't spend the dosh on a full set unless you know you're going to use all of them.

My knives are all premadonna steels like 80CRV2 and CPM S30V so although ceramic hones work, they take forever. I typically sharpen everything to 20 degrees because my steels can hold that edge well.
>>
>>28268884
Spyderco sharpmaker is shit dude, you have literally no fine control of the blade angle.

Blade angle is extremely important, I can't believe there are people stupid enough to just use pull through sharpeners
>>
I use DMT duo sharps with the guide thing
not as good as a wicked edge but that thing costs a shitload
>>
>>28268744
I like my puck because it works with my knives and axes. Honing rod then strop. It just takes patience.
>>
>>28268744
I use a ceramic rod.
>>
I use varying grades of automotive sandpaper (400, 800, 1000, 2000) i do have a no name stone for in the field and a 375grit smiths diamond stone for of I've really fucked up.

Have a number of single, and double cut mill files from bastard to fine grade for my machetes and axes too.
>>
My cousin is a bladesmith and gunsmith who does it for me for free. Oils it, sharpens, and polishes the blades.

I just use a honing stone to keep the blade straight.
>>
>>28268744
Depends on the knife I'm sharpening.
>EDC, steak knives, and such that don't require a super-fine edge or will be routinely used on edge-ruining shit like cardboard
Cheapo pull-through sharpener. Quick n' dirty.
>kitchen knives and my fillet knives that require a particularly steep bevel angle but not a super polished edge
Natural Arkansas stone. Occasionally a high-grit diamond stone if they're particuarly nicked (like when my wife runs my Wustoffs through the diswasher)
>carving knives, carving chisels, and other knives where a very fine, very steep-angled edge are essential
Arkansas stone+blade guide followed by strop followed by buffing wheel with 555 followed by second strop, usually polished to 2000 grit then stropped
>>
sandpaper.
Shit works very well. Not hard to figure out. If I want something really flat I put the sand paper on a granite tile and secure it with some gorilla tape
>>
>>28268744
i don't i just buy new ones.
>>
Marker, dif grit stones, polishing compound, leather.

All I use.
>>
>>28268884
This is the best answer ITT.
>>
>>28268744
buy a good set of arkansas stone. they can last a lifetime with proper care and are good for all sharpening with parience and initial practice
>>
File: 1443658693215.jpg (16KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1443658693215.jpg
16KB, 180x180px
>>28268884
>Spyderco Sharpmaker
Mein neger. Sharpmaker a best.

>>28269908
>Spyderco sharpmaker is shit dude, you have literally no fine control of the blade angle.

>I can't lock my wrists because they're made of glass
Get out.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.