[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would Liberty Prime be possible/ practical in real life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (86KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 640x360px
Would Liberty Prime be possible/ practical in real life?
>>
No.

Would it be awesome?

Yes.
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>28104005
No

>>>/v/
>>
>>28104005
Not really. You could probably build a robot that size that could walk if you spent a lot on R&D, but he'd still be very vulnerable to falling over and be absolute shit on anything but level ground.

His eye lasers would require a huge amount of power, and for that you'd need some kind of miniaturized fusion reactor or a similarly powerful source of energy that would be a massive project to develop on its own.

There is precedence for small thermonuclear explosives, such as the M-28 "Davy Crocket" recoilless gun that fired something similar in payload to the mininukes Prime throws. However, you'd have to be fucking retarded to waste the research time and money to have him throw them like footballs instead of just mounting a launcher on his shoulder.
>>
File: 1390039250518.jpg (85KB, 625x352px) Image search: [Google]
1390039250518.jpg
85KB, 625x352px
>>28104076
That sounds like Communist talk to me, boy!
>>
>>28104076
>you'd need some kind of miniaturized fusion reactor

That's exactly what it has and there's so many better applications for such a thing
>>
>>28104076
>His eye lasers would require a huge amount of power, and for that you'd need some kind of miniaturized fusion reactor or a similarly powerful source of energy that would be a massive project to develop on its own.

You...you mean like most of fallout already has? The game is partly based on an alt reality where fusion becomes mainstream.
>>
>>28104718
for example mounting gatling lasers on the vertibirds instead of a minigun.
>>
>>28104890
>You...you mean like most of fallout already has? The game is partly based on an alt reality where fusion becomes mainstream.
The question was whether or not it would be possible/practical irl
>>
I doubt you can do much with just Vacuum Tubes.
>>
>>28104005
>possible
Possibly
>practical
Hell no
>>
>>28104076
>if you spent a lot on R&D
I think everyone here agrees that's a given.
>but he'd still be very vulnerable to falling over
He has arms. If you can manage to make him walk in a cluttered environment with any semblance of dexterity, I'm sure adding the capability to stand up again wouldn't be that much more dificult. But given the overall complexity required, damage tolerance would be abysmal, and naturally if damage or mechanical failure is the reason he falls, he sure as hell isn't gonna get up again.
>and be absolute shit on anything but level ground.
Honestly I think this is the one and only area where a walker/climber has any sort of practical advantage at all over a wheeled vehicle.
>His eye lasers would require a huge amount of power
Burst power, yes.
>and for that you'd need some kind of miniaturized fusion reactor
For THAT? No. Maybe for endurance given the high average power draw of such a complicated and inefficient contraption, but despite what you may have been led to believe, nuclear reactors do NOT offer very high peak power delivery. To power the laser directly you would need something like a compulsator or capacitor bank; what you charge it with is largely immaterial to the function of the laser itself.
>There is precedence for small thermonuclear explosives, such as the M-28 "Davy Crocket" recoilless gun
Davy Crockett was not thermonuclear.
>However, you'd have to be fucking retarded to . . have him throw them like footballs instead of just mounting a launcher
Agreed. A launcher would permit much more range. A missile yet more still.
>>
>>28104005
Practical? No.
Possible? Maybe.
Worth it? Hell yeah!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.