[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nagant Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: armisgungunisbullet.jpg (668KB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
armisgungunisbullet.jpg
668KB, 3888x2592px
I am looking to get a cheap accurate and durable rifle and someone told me to ask you guys about the Mosin Nagant. So, whats your opinion on the gun?
>>
>>28081561
It's a mosin nagant
>>
>>28081561
Get a Savage 110 instead.

If you aren't interested in history, avoid milsurp. They won't perform better than a modern bolt gun, ammo is often (but not always) rare/expensive, and they're not even cheap anymore.
>>
>>28081561
It's either a piece of shit meme rifle or the best gun ever made.

My 2 cents is that it's still a good rifle for the price. They're fun, accurate and durable. There's better rifles out there, but maybe not many that are quite as much fun.

Or if you're trying to b8, fuck off.
>>
Honestly have no idea, some stats or some shit would be appreciated. Also googling it.
>>
They're cheap and durable. Accuracy is iffy.
>>
>>28081561
not as great as the used to be but ammo is still cheap as fuck and its fun to shoot.

If this is you're first gun I'd look for something else
here buy one of these though they actually are the shit:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/finnish-m39-mosin-nagant-rifle-762x54r

still a nugget, just refined by finns
>>
>>28081561
Rugged, durable, cheap, accuracy is 50/50 but they can be good enough for a rifle you want to just shoot for fun.

Ammo is still pretty cheap (440 round spam cans were about 100 dollars last I checked) and while the surplus stuff cannot be reloaded. You have to seriously debate the cost effectiveness of buying 7.62X54R brass to load/reload

Its got a good lot of history to it, literally any ivan old enough to haul more than 50 pounds of potatoes to the vodka distillery in one was given one and said "Shoot nazi for motherland"

Pretty good gun, good first time bolt gun. Easy to clean (And clean it right away, the surplus ammo is corrosive) and inexpensive.
>>
>>28081608
>some stats
this aint cawadooty

http://7.62x54r.net/
>>
>>28081561
Its chief virtue is that it is cheap. It also has some historical value. It also thumps you pretty hard. You might well be better off with an entry level commercial bolt action from Savage or Ruger in a more moderate power cartridge. Depends on whether your price range is $500 or dirt fucking poor.
>>
>>28081561
This burns the hand
>>
File: 1374848530230.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1374848530230.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
>>28081561

Mosins are fine. Their main claim to fame was that they were cheap ($70 a pop before the big scare of '08), and the ammo used to be cheap, but not anymore. They are still cheaper than average for the rifles themselves.

They can be used as a boat oar, weenie roaster, tent pole, pole vaulting device, vampire slayer (cruciform bayonet), and shrub annihilator. The sights are pretty great, they look pretty, and it's a breeze to dump empty cartridges from the magazine. Parts are cheap. It also creates huge fireballs and it's a riot to shoot.

Everything else isn't that peachy though. The trigger is pretty damn mushy, the bolt has a common tendency to stick on opening and the safety is an utter joke. It's also slightly imbalanced in the front; this, combined with a short buttstock and a steel plate on the end WILL bruise your shoulder from the recoil.

The bolt is also a huge pain in the ass to take apart.

tl;dr shoot a friend's Mosin for kicks but buy a Mauser, it'll serve you better and isn't much more expensive.
>>
>>28083801

*dump unfired cartridges, my mistake
>>
>>28083801
The ammo's still cheap for what it is, you can find plenty of 7.62x54r for around .35 cents a round, while .30-06 is about .50 cents a round, since both are pretty comparable, I'd say 54R is still a great deal.
>>
>>28081585
>They won't perform better than a modern bolt gun, ammo is often (but not always) rare/expensive, and they're not even cheap anymore.
can you post any more false information?
>>28081561
They're good. They're not the best, but the ammo is cheap, and the rifles can still easily be had for under 200 bucks still.
People bitch and moan about the action, but it's really not hard to make it good. Polish the bolt, replace the stock firing pin with one that doesn't suck ass, and get a trigger spring kit, which should have a trigger spring and sear shim.
Anyone I've shown mine to has commented on how great the action felt.
>>
>>28083801
54R can be found for much cheaper, and I can find them more often at various gunshops than I can with 8mm. Also you can get better options with buying 54r, the best options per bullet price require you to buy 720 rounds, which adds up.

I'd say a mosin is a better entry level milsurp bolt gun
>>
>>28084016
better meaning cheaper I'm assuming? because mausers are definitely better guns.
>>
>>28084030
Better as in for a beginner they'll be easier for them to afford and find ammo, the Mauser is a better rifle design. I have both rifles, but I have far more 54r than I have 8mm, and I can find 54r at my gunshops, I can't for 8mm ;-;

A mauser isn't a bad entry level gun either, I just think a mosin is better for what you're getting.
>>
>>28084042
completely agree.
If you find a good source for cheap 8mm mauser, let me know. I'm in the market.
>>
>>28084048
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/8mm-mauser

There you go.

If you see any 170 grain fmj hotshot, it's kinda crap. My vz24's bolt locked up from the lacquer coating, it did it ONCE, and never again, but neither of my mosins have done that, ever. I have mostly M75 serbian 196grain fmj-bt, and I like it way more than hotshot's shit.
>>
If you're lucky enough to find one with a good barrel, they're great rifles. Mine is good enough that I restocked it, floated the barrel, and mounted a decent scope on it. It's sub MOA with good ammo. The recoil on it is a bitch even with recoil pad.
>>
>>28084077
what kind of mosin do you have? Recoil on 91/30s is fine, my m38 just kicks like a motherfucker.
>>
File: 94.jpg (28KB, 480x512px) Image search: [Google]
94.jpg
28KB, 480x512px
>>28081561
You'll regret it
I bought a nugget and a crate as my first gun and I wish I had got something nicer
>>
>>28081561
Mosin Nagant
>cheep
not so much any more
>accurate
barrel is a bit thin and sights have poor visibility
>>
>>28081585
>K31
>M48
>M39

All milsurps that are within the $350 price range and just as good if not better than a modern bolt gun. All of their respective ammunition can be found for under $0.50 a round.
>>
>>28083993
There is literally nothing disagreeable with that anon's post. I purchased my nugget back in 09 for 99$ + tax at a sporting goods store. Are they still 100$? No, they are not. But for 150$ I'd argue you still get a boomstick. It is a durable rifle that will outlive most of its owners, however anon you is right in that 7.62x54r is a common round. Any LGS wouldn't be caught dead without 7.62x54r, however I am unsure of current market retail pricing and don't care to research ammo for a gun I don't own for just the sake of conversation.

That being said, the OP didn't even mention a budget. OP go to your local fun store and find what you can get your hands on and if the prices are a deal or a steal
>>
>>28084239
see >>28084334

I must reiterate that jumping blindly into the 'milsurp meme' is not the only decision, much less the best one. Do your research OP, don't waste your money. I recommend a scout rifle, or a magazine fed bolt acty. Don't go over 700$ on your first rifle, but don't shell out 350$ for a war relic that is worth less than 100$ in reality.
>>
>>28084334
>There is literally nothing disagreeable with that anon's post.
well let's go over it.

>They won't perform better than a modern bolt gun
Do they hit where they're pointed? yes? and with a big honkin' round? Then what's the problem?
>ammo is often (but not always) rare/expensive
not even sort of. You can easily get it for under 40 cents a round. I bought a bunch of surplus yesterday for about 27 cpr, all on stripper clips.
>they're not even cheap anymore.
you can easily pick them up for under $200 still.

They're not as cheap as they were before, the ammo isn't as cheap as it was before, but that doesn't make them expensive now.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.