[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ARMY thread:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 4

File: tn-logo.png (7KB, 134x122px) Image search: [Google]
tn-logo.png
7KB, 134x122px
Okay you guys, I'm 18 and I just finished up at MEPS, only did my asvab and my physical. I haven't sworn in yet and I haven't picked a job
My score was a 93
My GT was 127 and the rest of my scores were 110 and above
What job do you guys recommend?
>>
>>28065341
Why don't you ask your recruiter you fucking waste of oxygen

sage goes in all fields.
>>
File: 1447005395047.jpg (28KB, 300x336px) Image search: [Google]
1447005395047.jpg
28KB, 300x336px
>>28065357
Because I'm curious as to what /k/ chose or would advise choosing you pretentious fuck
>>
There is literally three other threads up of the exact same thing, but you just had to be a special snowflake and make your own, didn't you?

Here's the attention you so desperately want- congratulations on doing something that dozens on this board have done before, now fuck off. If you need to consult your friends on a Himalayan fingerpainting board about major life decisions then you must be a very pathetic person.

Fuck you OP, back in my day people who joined up weren't self serving little cunts. Just choose infantry so you can meme about MUH BLUE CORD BROTHERHOOD POGS BTFO like the sniveling little shit you are.
>>
>>28065475
>gets home
>fuck yeah I have really good scores!
>pulls up /k/ first thing makes thread about it
>want to know what other people chose and general job discussion
nigga why you gotta be so dumb, I know you've probably been shit on in life so you have to put down others who have good things going for them. I'm sorry you're shit, feel better?
>>
>>28065357
>good response
>>28065475
>10/10 confirmed faggot
>>
>>28065341
Pick the one that is most similar to a job you know of at home.
>>
>>28065341
Here is a real response.

If you want to go combat arms, go infantry. I'm in the artillery and everyone I work with is basically a trained helmet-wearing retard. It is fucking awesome when we're in the field, but pants-on-head fucking stupid 99% of the time.

If not after the fuck fuck games, go with 35 or 25 series. Also look into the newer cyber defense stuff (25d?). Look into the 15 series if you dig aircraft and specifically 15W if you think flying a drone might me pretty fuckin neato. I was on track for 15W until my doctors all recommended I medboard.
>>
>>28065677
Thanks for the legit response and dem sick dubs
I was thinking 68W or something combat related, but we aren't really doing anything right now and I don't want to sit around on base doing nothing.
Is the 15W training pretty difficult or what?
>>
>>28065792
>68W
Unless you get put with infantry, you'll be sitting on base all day.
If you get put with infantry, you'll still be sitting around on base all day until you actually deploy.

If you want to actually do things besides sit around on base all day, go infantry (11B). You'll still sit around on base all day until you deploy, but at least you'll get to walk around and shoot at plastic things a few times between sitting around on base all day.

>15W
>UAV operator
You will LITERALLY sit on base all day even if you "deploy". So it isn't what you want.
>>
>>28065833
>dubs checked
also is there any job out there where I wont be sitting on base all day for the majority of my contract?
>>
>>28065792
As a 68W, you'll probably wind up at a clinic or hospital somewhere moreso than actually attached to a line unit. Not a sure thing though. If you are interested in the medical field, look at one of the other specialties like dental or optical. Better opportunities there once you're out too.

For the 15W, you have to pass a flight physical and you train almost like an actual aviator would. You don't quite get everything you need for a pilots license, but you get damn close so you could do that on the side after your training. It is somewhat difficult and has about the same washout rate as either the rotary or fixed wing courses. Though personally, having known several washouts, the problem is usually a lack of studying and time management skills than anything that gets you the boot. Being relatively fresh out of high school, I would think you would have a leg up on the mid 20's guys that haven't been in school for a while like me.
>>
>>28065880
That's the army bro. Unless you deploy, you're sitting on base. That's just how it is.
>>
>>28065792
Also as far as sitting around, you'll be on a rotation with other crews once you're actually done with training. You'll train on the job for a while before you are actually handed the controls, to my understanding. Generally speaking though, as a 15W, you will actually be doing your job when you go to work. Unlike us gun bunnies. We go to work to cut grass and wash rocks.

Basically that is what you want in a job with the Army. Something that has you doing your actual job on the average day. Not cutting grass and washing rocks. Though as a new guy, you'll get those details no matter what your job is.
>>
>>28065893
>>28065930
>>28065906
So basically I'll be doing a whole lot of nothing unless shit goes down.
So go for a job that has big success rate and lots of moola in the civilian world? I was thinking of making ARMY a career but the way you guys put it, it doesn't seem like ARMY does anything.
So on that note, I probably should get a job for the civilian world, use my free college to further that education, and don't renew my contract?
>>
>>28065998
Even if you do plan to stay in for years, picking a job that transfers well into a cushy civilian job is always a great choice, especially with your GT scores. Tech jobs and damn near anything in maintenance will net you a civilian certification to get a job right out of the service.
>>
>>28065998
Listen to this guy.
>>28066052
You may wind up with a totally different mindset once you've been in for a while. You may decide you fucking hate it, and you get out and do the school thing. You might get hurt and get a medical discharge. You might go in and decide to do something like Green to Gold (google it). Hell, you might be one of those guys that fucking loves the shit out of his job and is really good at it and sticks it out for the 20 year haul.

You won't really know once you're in and experiencing it as there are a lot of ways the whole thing can go.
>>
>>28066131
Holy shit, if I do Green to Gold I'd be able to go into 31D (Criminal Investigation Special Agent)
Thank you based anon, I had no idea that Green to Gold was a thing. Do you have any advice as to what job I should take to lead up to 31D?
>>
>>28066131
nevermind i just read up on it
thank you guys for the advice
>>
>>28066276
>>28066210
NP man. Everyone everywhere is suspicious of CID infiltrating their units, so they must be doing something right. Also having known people in college that did GtG, which is how I found out about it in the first place, they were from all over the Army so I wouldn't worry much about it.

Also, don't become a fucking MP. Unless you have no soul as it is and everyone hates you already. In which case, by all means go for it.
>>
>>28066210
Dude, enlist in nasty guard, after basic do ROTC and get paid for college twice, TWICE I TELL YOU!!! Then go officer where you actually have a chance to become part of the elite.

You want intelligence, drones, commo, or electronic warfare as enlisted. No substitutes.

As an officer go intelligence or infantry until you make 1LT, then SF or avaition.

Your scores are fucking gold. Capatalize on them.
>>
>>28066358
Good advice from this dude. I don't know much about the nasty blasty weekend warriors, but the chicks are usually way hotter than active but maybe only on-par with the usual air force broad.
>>
>>28066358
Basically look up the bio on every chief of staff and every other general you recognize from the news, then decide on what career field to chose as an officer.

Enlisted national guard and ROTC cadets both get college paid for. ROTC pays first which means the nasty girl money hotels straight into your pocket. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SYSTEM.

Otherwise you wind up a fat, unemployed, loser on your grandmas couch ten years out of the service because you didn't listen to advice and wanted to kill haji and cover yourself in glory like the movies. Ask me how I know.
>>
>>28065880
88M
>>
>>28065341
pick something that will get you a civilian job. 25S (satellite communications) MOS is what I was, shit pays bank when you get out.
>>
>>28067085
lol this is actually pretty accurate
>>
File: k.jpg (49KB, 350x389px) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
49KB, 350x389px
>>28065341
>>28065341
>>28065341
>>28065341
>>
>>28065341
>My GT is 127

Run OP. Do not enlist. jesus god run away.
GT max score is 136. 110 is the highest required for the "toughest" jobs in army.
seriously dude. do not do it. everyone in the army is a fucking retard.

source: GT 132
>>
>>28065677
>>28065677
>>28065677
>>28065893
>>28065893
>>28065930
NOPENOPENOPENOPE

DO NOT GO 15W

I am a 15W. I will fucking time stamp my ERB if I have too. This job is shit. everything about it is such shit I don't even know where to start and I can't type fast enough to shit out how fucking shit it is
>>
>>28068332
wait, what's wrong with that MOS? my NG unit is getting disbanded and I get to choose a new MOS- I was considering the UAV stuff, what's wrong with it?
>>
>>28068297
I and a buddy both have 140. The highest my recruiter had ever seen was 145 (18D)
>>
>>28066358
Okay, that's pretty damn specific but that sounds like a really good course of action.
Do you mind explaining how you know this? Been in the military a while?
>>
>>28068616
Air force here, probably because the army is too fucking dumb to handle RPAs, fuck up ALL THE TIME, and have to pay civilian contractors $100k+ a year to take off and land their RPAs for them since the army doesn't trust their own guys to do it

>MQ-1 guy here
>>
>>28066358
OP again,
Also if I already did everything at MEPS for ARMY can I still enlist in the national guard?
>>
Be a 35M. You get to interrogate dudes and be a spy and shit. Also, make sure you request Ft Campbell as soon as you can. You do wanna be a highspeed Air Assault soldier don't you? Trust me bro it'll be great.
>>
>>28069992
I applied for Airborne for airborne if that counts. What is Ft Campbell all about?
>>
>>28068297
>everyone in the army is a fucking retard

even special forces?
>>
>>28070126
All about Air Assault. You won't be jumping out of planes in the 101st. Instead you'll learn about sling loads, fast roping and rappelling from a helicopter. Will you ever do any of that outside of Air Assault School? Depends.
>>
>>28065341
68W, combat fucking medic you faglord. best fucking job in the army. rolled with snipers, scouts, tankers, and the fucking infantry
>>
>>28065391
Go to college instead.
>>
>>28069992
do not listen to this faggot. campbell might be the most poorly run post in army
>>
>>28070127
the % of tards is less...but 18B smashy jokes are a thing for a reason. There are far less legit OPER8OR type folks than people think
>>
>>28068826
post your sterilized ERB then faggot.

>muh recruiter
>>
>>28069828
not exactly this because each service has its own crap...but pretty much this

in RA in a USASOC unit we still got fucked with enough that doing stupid army bullshit got in the way of actual aviation training.

MI fags think you're an intel guy
real aviation fags don't get your A/C still has weather limits and cuz your not in it thinks you can just fly whenever like you personally made up the regs for your airframe
>>
>>28070383
I'm joining partially because I can't afford college, I'm extremely poor
>>
>>28070195
So another question for you, how do I apply for Air Assault School? Do I just ask and turn in an OP40 or whatever?
>>
>>28065341
How are youre pt scores?
>>
>>28070546
I don't know what a pt score is lol
Scores as follows:
GT 127
CL 122
CO 116
EL 118
FA 116
GM 114
MM 110
OF 116
SC 119
ST 121
AFQT Percentile Score: 93
>>
>>28070602
jesus christ......

how many push ups, sit ups, and 2 mile run? You know.....army physical training test requirements
>>
>>28070619
I do 50-60 push ups with no pause
about the same with sit ups
my two mile run is now at around 11.5 minutes
>>
civil affairs
>>
>>28070658
okay....well go google Army PT test and read up what that is because you somehow dont know what it is

Seems like you can at least pass with a avg score.

Pick something that you wont be able to do as a civilian.

Some cool jobs to look up.

35T, 37F, 35M, 21B, 88K

If you decide to switch MOS after 2-3 years, look at 35L, chill as fuck
>>
>>28070742
I'm extremely green, I'm sorry. I just recently decided to join up
And will do, thanks military friend
>>
>>28070742
21B and 88K aren't jobs in the ARMY
Neither is 35L
>>
>>28070861
you are dumb
>>
>>28070861
False, get of goarmy.com lol
>>
Former 25S here, If you decide to go commo, go 25N (Networks) or 25S (SATCOM). Do some cross-training, get some certs, and make use of your education benefits.

I just got out a few months back, but make $70k a year (w/ full benefits) working full time for a major defense contractor.
>>
Seems like a good place to ask this.
I use to experiment drugs when I was a a stupid kid. I got caught with pot and the case is going to get dropped.

My question is. How many of you have gotten polygraphed and asked about your drug uses.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable leaving out some of the things I've expermitned with when I was younger.

The recruiter said I could get a waiver for the weed and I haven't used any drugs in a couple of years anyways and don't plan on doing it ever again.

Should I just leave the past in the past or put everything on the table
>>
>>28070983
Leave the past in the past, if you haven't done it in a few years, then say you've never done drugs, take your test and if you're not lying about not smoking then you'll come up clean and you'll be all good m8
>>
>>28070798
Just to reiterate, pick a job you cannot do as a civilian. For example, wheres the fun in picking IT help desk job, when you can do that shit with minimal training as a civilian. At least if youre gonna pick a computer job, pick something that only military can train you in, like 35T, 35Q, 35N, 35G.
>>
>>28071034
I have gotten arrested but only for weed. The recruiter said I could get a waiver for that. Haven't mentioned anything else
>>
>>28070983

Don't lie. That's the absolute worst thing you can do. They'll interview your referrals and ask those referrals for additional references. The last thing you need is a couple of distant friends telling your Federal Investigator contridicting stories.

The best thing is to tell the truth, but only whats required. If they ask you if you've done drugs in the last year, but you smoked or popped pills a year and one day ago, then your answer is "No".
>>
>>28071080
if there is a record of it disclose it.

HOWEVER

if youre not doing some highspeed tech or intel or sf type job, I wouldnt say shit.

If you are going for one of those jobs, tell them since there is an actual record of it and a simple name search will bring it up during the background investigation for top secret clearance
>>
>>28071055
Okay, thanks m8
>>
>>28071133
I just want to be an armorer or something simple. Mabye combat engineer. I don't think I'm SF material.
>>
>>28071170
Do military intelligence then. Easy jobs, and makes youre resume look like you did shit.

21B, aka combat engineer, isnt that simple desu. It requires a moderate amount of thinking.

If you want to do armorer, like a gunsmith type job, I suggest giving the marines a look at, they have a sort of advanced gunsmith job. DO NOT do the armys version. Literal waste of time.
>>
>>28071086
I'm only putting adult friends of the family down as references along with my one friend who is in the army and won't throw me under the bus because he was right there with me most of the time back in the day
>>
>>28071262
Military intellilgence is extremely scruitness of your background. Is that a joke ? I'm pretty sharp I could easily score in the 90s on the asvap
>>
>>28071317
Sorry thought you were OP, and not background check guy.

Look at 88 series jobs, this may sound like a joke, but the water craft jobs 88k, is actually a pretty good MOS, ive never heard of any of them complaining about their job sucking.
>>
>>28071371
Really huh I'll have to look into that.
>>
>>28071371
Artillerybro from earlier here. I can support this. They converted the big water vats that were supposed to be for laundry into hot tubs in Afghanistan somehow. That is all those assholes did and since our hooch was right by them, we swapped hadji beer for hot tub time.
>>
>>28071434
The only jobs ive never heard anyone complain about are 35T and 88K.

And as an elitist 35P and then 35F, I never even knew those MOS existed.

35S was another job I never knew existed until I met a dude who did that, and the only complaint he had, was that there was never anything for him to do that other MOS couldnt already do.
>>
>>28071492
>assholes
That might imply I didn't love them. Replace with "glorious assholes".
>>
>>28071504
I could probably do anything the army wanted me to, but my main concern is the initial background check. The army website says if I admit to using "hard" drugs I am sure to not get in. And I want to get in
>>
>>28071582
Let's just say I went to a lot of raves as a kid
>>
>>28071582
If you did the hard stuff, best be able to lie about it well. TS clearance isn't that hard to get but it's easy to fuck up.
>>
>>28071597
Ocassionally I did. Do you get polyd on TS clearance?
>>
>>28071594
As long as there is nothing on youre record dont report it. If its something obvious that any random person can just look up your name in a law enforcement database, then ya report it.

If it happened at age 15, and youre 20+ now, dont report it and play it off as you forgot, if they ever bring it up.
>>
>>28071645
Okay good to know.
>>
>>28071635
You only get polygraphed at units or buildings that require it. So you can have a TS, and never have done a polygraph.

BTW, polygraph isnt that big a deal to pass. Dont fret about it. If youre gonna lie about something make sure to stick with the lie. NEVER let up on the lie.

I know a SF guy who was in for 7 years, and got general discharged for admitting 6 years into his career that he had done drugs when he was a teenager. And they looked back at his first background check where he answered NO that he didnt do any drugs.
>>
File: 1432170005354.png (324KB, 553x519px) Image search: [Google]
1432170005354.png
324KB, 553x519px
Fuck the Army.

Muhreen Corps stronk.

Well you nigger lovers always interject our threads. Shitpost over and out, carry on soldiers.
>>
>>28071687
That's reasuring so basically as long as I don't fuck up and say something dumb I won't have a problem
>>
>>28071735
Believe the lie until its true lol

Take it with you to the grave that you got caught shoplifting legos from target at age 17.
>>
>>28071753
I like that haha. I'm looking at the Machinist program the army has it looks cool! It would go right along with my future career options
>>
>>28071789
dont count on getting certificates while in the army.

Also what >>28071055 said about picking jobs.

The GI bill and other shit you get access to after the military is what you should use to get any training or education you need.

Dont worry about shit like finishing a degree or getting certs while in. Its more stressful than its worth.

Just do the job, and network with as many people as possible.

Also, FYI after 2-3 years you can reclass to a different MOS.
>>
>>28065341
>>28065341
>>28065341

Wow, smart cookie. If you didn't know, you're likely going to be one of the three smartest people in your battalion no matter where you go and that includes officers. Whether you have "common sense" or not is to be seen, but as a smart Marine who took a dumb-ass' job, I will tell you to aim for something to do with digital intelligence, drones, Intel, or anything to do with new emerging fields in digital networks or robotics. In fact, you would be better off joining the Air Force. They have more money, faster promotions, better barracks (if you can even call them that), better base locations, and way hotter girls.
>>
>>28065677
Great answer. I said the same thing but I was a Marine so idk the proper terms for what the army has.
But yeah, Infantry is the way to go for combat arms. If you're infantry, be special forces. It's a pain in the fucking ass but you'll be glad you did it some day (or so I hear), but generally, a smart cookie like you should do something with digital networks, intelligence, robotics, or become an officer.
>>
>>28071914
>faster promotions

LMAO you wish AF promoted as fast as Army does.

You get auto promoted to E4 after 2 year just by breathing. And if youre intel, and not a shit bag, you get auto promoted to E5 without even attending a board.

>base locations
Thats debatable.

>everything else
True, I agree
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.