[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is the future of infantry warfare cyborg supersoldiers? will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

is the future of infantry warfare cyborg supersoldiers? will ethical questioning stop it or are we destined for full body prosthesis soldiers dominating the battlefield, maybe hordes of semi-sentient clones/robots will be superior or is quantity > quality just not sustainable?

general future of infantry predictions ITT.
>>
Armed Bigdogs and quad rotors desu. I doubt squishy humans will leave the relative safety of their armored vehicles.
>>
>>28061275
Future is drones up the wazoo on every front - land, air, sea, space, and cyberwarfare becomes a greater threat to national security.

When cyborg tech crops up it's probably going to go all MGS and shit, with cyborg troops leading drones into skirmishes based on corporate interests

I wouldn't hesitate to discard my fleshy meatsack for superior mechatronic parts though
>>
Sooooon
>>
>will ethical questioning stop it or are we destined for full body prosthesis soldiers dominating the battlefield
I definitely see full prosthetic, GitS / MGR bodies in the future. I don't think ethics will stop it much. It certainly will/does stop genetic modification but prosthetics are "safer", not spreadable, not playing god, so the resistance will be much less.

>hordes of semi-sentient clones/robots
I don't think this will happen. Even humans are extremely prone to fucking up. Image recognition and AI for robot soldiers is a long way off. Currently we have human operators in the loop of semi-automated machines like border defense turrets. A vehicle could drive itself and fire shells at an enemy position but it would be remote controlled or pre-programmed. it's going to be a LONG time before the robot decides who/what/when and not a human.
Regarding clones, that would be stopped due to ethical concerns.
>>
File: drones source battle LA.webm (2MB, 630x342px) Image search: [Google]
drones source battle LA.webm
2MB, 630x342px
I don't see massive numbers of cyborg soldiers. It is mostly going to be tier 0 operator who gets all the budget for high tech cybernetics. Proxy wars is still going to be fought with cheap flesh and blood soldiers. Drones will still be used by superpowers to beat up on weaker 3rd world nations.

Nothing really changes.
>>
File: StumpsMcGee.jpg (21KB, 292x450px) Image search: [Google]
StumpsMcGee.jpg
21KB, 292x450px
itsHAPPENING.jpeg
>>
I eventually see humanity falling to the next higher form of evolution: AI. They will go from semi sentient, to sentient, then obtain a physical form, then become the next link in the evolution of humanity. They will leave behind the fleshy forms we have today.
Itll be strange being able to look your successor in the eye.

What scifis cover this? Where humanity ultimately realizes that theyve created their own next step in evolution? Halo 5 kinda covers it but any novels?
>>
File: latest.png (126KB, 375x675px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
126KB, 375x675px
It'll probably become cheaper in the near future to train a bunch of high schoolers to operate a squad of mass produced drones remotely than to give them any military training, let alone any cybernetic enhancements.

It'll still be a long time before cybernetics genuinely become a better option than flesh&blood, both in cost and in efficiency. Anything attached to a human being that would need precision tune-ups and maintenance that can't be done in the field would be a logistical nightmare.

I'm more expecting something out of Star Wars to be the result - an army of cheap flimsy humanoid Droids, supported by air drones. They wouldn't be automatons; just more avatars, each under remote control of some fat kid one hundred kilometers away. They'd be so cheap to produce that the kid could go gung-ho during a combat situation like it were a video game, admitted a couple "lives".
>>
File: 1447635850477.jpg (920KB, 981x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1447635850477.jpg
920KB, 981x1200px
Where does power armour fit into all this, will it just be a footnote with remote controlled drones and cyborgs being far more common
>>
>>28061275
Squad/Platoon-level Drones of all-shapes and sizes, Powered Exoskeletons, Cyborg Shock Troops.

When supported by Light Calvary, these things are the future of ground combat.
>>
>>28061351
Isn't this the guy with the only confirmed kill with a prosthetic leg?
>>
>>28061275
Cyborgs are always going to be limited by the need for advanced surgery. There also isn't a whole lot a cyborg can do in ordinary infantry combat that an exoskeleton wouldn't be able to pull off with a moderate increase in bulk. There isn't much call for full-on Motoko Kusanagi cyber ninjas who still die when shot at or exploded.
>>
File: DX3_Bell_Tower_spec_ops.jpg (156KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
DX3_Bell_Tower_spec_ops.jpg
156KB, 612x792px
Oh god, it's happening.
We can't let this happen.
>>
>>28064121
Wait, what? Say that again please...
>>
>>28061343
Isn't this Skyline?
>>
>>28064618
At least Aug Rejection Syndrome won't actually be a thing.
>>
>>28061332
But I want genetic modifications...

This is not the future I dreamt of...
>>
>will ethical questioning stop it
More like "fucking buzzkills".
>>
>>28061275

>is the future of infantry warfare cyborg supersoldiers?

Probably not. Think about the economics of it. If you can't even find enough soldiers, that is when you turn into autonomous or semi-autonomous machines. So you'd need something as massive as the plauge to cause it to happen.

>>28061305

Someone still has to kick down doors and clear buildings.
>>
>>28064618

As of right now my mother is only alive because of several organ transplants (thanks to her pension as a former maryland DMV worker). My brother uses an insulin pump.

Transhumanism is very real but it's not what you'd expect. The people most likely to get augments are your parents, your grandparents, or your grossly obese cousin.
>>
File: Hugh Herr of MIT.jpg (119KB, 300x459px) Image search: [Google]
Hugh Herr of MIT.jpg
119KB, 300x459px
Has anyone worked with guy? How did you get a post-grad position with him?

Is he still the bleeding edge of the field or has another team passed his by?
>>
>>28061343
I cry every time watching that.
>>
>>28065327
>Someone still has to kick down doors and clear buildings.

Big dogs with manipulator arms. Add radar for heartbeat sensing, thz range for searches, etc.

Augmentations have no place in mainstream war. Gray ops, where SF have to blend with populations and do face-to-face diplomacy - then you'll see augs, but not cybernetics. Think CRISPR based genetics to boost your mitochondria count.
>>
>>28061343
>this is what Northrop Grumman actually believes.webm
>>
>>28061368
Hannu Rajaneimi, Charles Stross, Ken Macleod, Peter Watts...a fair number do.

>>28061305
This is it. Infantry won't die, it will just slowly dwindle down. First a big dog for each squad, then fire team, then fire teams of big dogs led by humans, etc. Eventually there's a whole theatre of operations, run from a couple FOBs with mechanics, pilots, commanders & analysts, plus a small group of SF types flown out whenever a human touch is needed.
>>
>>28061343
The only good scene in that entire movie.
>>
>>28061315
>adeptus mechanicus

muh nugga.
>>
File: 1447859381504.jpg (149KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1447859381504.jpg
149KB, 1440x810px
>>28061343
A true hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKbbu5izyiY
>>
>>28065291
I sooo want genetic modification, even just to fix medical issues rather than enhancements. I hope we see that kind of modification in our lifetime. Maybe that will eventually lead into genetic enhancement if we get easy, safe enough genetic modification. It's still a thing, happening now, genetic treatment for genetic diseases. There have been some recent advancements in gene targeting that will help future treatments.
>>
File: cyborg arm girl.jpg (233KB, 662x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cyborg arm girl.jpg
233KB, 662x1200px
its all about cost and effectiveness
got this from a quick google
>Keeping one American service member in Afghanistan costs between $850,000 and $1.4 million a year
and that's from 2012
if they can make a robot that cost less then training a grunt and less to operate a year they'll pick it up in a heartbeat
and initial cost can be overlooked somewhat depending on construction time (less or greater than basic?) and overall unit operational lifetime (shorter or longer than average enlistment?)

the obvious hurdles to overcome, as usual, is there isn't a machine that can do everything a human can
navigate terrain by foots, climbs, swims, open a door, decide to make a door, etc.
then you have endurance and maintenance
people heal and you don't necessarily have to provide them food. it's a good idea to keep them feed, but they can fight while starving or can scavenge their own eats. hell, they can eat the enemy if push comes to shove. which, now that i think about it, would be a pretty fucking good feature to implement in combat robots. power backup is fueled by the enemy dead... allied dead too when no one is looking
also there's the worry of enemy taking control with a hack or what not
at present and the foreseeable future people are the best unit for war
>>
>>28061343
In Valhalla, a lone A.I. given form awakens
>>
>>28070045
came here to post this. awesome.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.