[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

deer slaying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: high-shoulder.jpg (87KB, 300x526px) Image search: [Google]
high-shoulder.jpg
87KB, 300x526px
Conventional wisdom seems to be to shoot a deer in the heart, but I have personally seen a deer shot through the heart run into the bushes. We managed to find him, but what if we hadn't been so lucky? I recently learned that there is another way to kill a deer, the high shoulder shot. The idea is to shatter the deer's shoulder blades and damage the spine so as to drop the deer right where he's standing. Does anyone have any experience in the matter?
>>
>>28043245
I like the high shoulder shot myself. If you do it right, with a powerful gun, you can hit the spine and drop it. It'll die in a minute or so because it should hit the lungs and shock the heart.

My favorite and least favorite is the same. From chest to asshole. They drop and die instantly but busted guts and two fucked up legs if you get good penetration and angle it is a bitch to clean
>>
>>28043245
Honestly, if it's a doe or you don't care about mounting it, just shoot it in the head. Otherwise I always shoot mine in the neck area so they're easier to field dress
>>
Lungs always.

Cant breath can't run as far.

If given a good broadside I am as the nape of the neck.
>>
>>28043291
Gut shots ruin the tenderloins, the best meat on almost any animal.
>>
>>28043313
Isn't there a risk of shooting it in the face without hitting the brain? A deer brain is a pretty small target.
>>
>>28043336
How does shooting 8" under the backstrap ruin them?
>>
>>28043381
Not backstraps. Tenderloins. Backstraps are in the back. Tenderloins are inside the ribcage.
>>
>>28043390
Oh, I never fuck with those. I'm in Oklahoma, the deer I shoot are small and is less than a handful of meat. Still, the meat should be okay, just wash it good.
>>
>>28043431
I'd rather take a few seconds to aim carefully than wash literal shit off my food.
>>
>>28043362
Yup, the deer should bleed out but not before a shit ton of suffering and probably running 2 or 3 counties over, so it's not advised.
>>
I have had a deer shot in the lungs run for a mile before it finally collapsed.
>>
>>28043460
I'm with you. Like, I said, it is my least favorite too. It's not worth it at all to do but sometimes you gotta make a shot.

>>28043478
My brother has had the same. Pretty much, if you don't hit the spine, you might have to take long hike looking for a deer.
>>
I've hit doe high in the shoulder with my Thuddy out six and seen them live for hours afterwards. I have however never seen one survive a shot to anywhere in the neck, I've killed them with 30-30, 30-06, 223, and 270. Neck shots are bloody as hell but that's just less you'll have to fish around in to gut the damn thing
>>
>>28043488
>>28043478

In my experiences I use .30-06, I'm sure damage to the front legs helped.
>>
File: whitetail doe montana 2012.jpg (217KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
whitetail doe montana 2012.jpg
217KB, 1024x768px
Gimme the heart shot any day. Pull a bit high and you hit the aorta.
>>
>>28043540
uhm r u huntin wif assult wepons?
>>
>>28043540
That was a well insulated durr m8. What did it weigh?
>>
>>28043245
That's where I hit the last deer I shot, almost exactly there like the top pic.
Dropped instantly and like a rock from a 50cal muzzleloader. He was taking his last breath just as I sprinted up to him.
>>
>>28043245
Been shooting high shoulder my whole life.

Apart from the 2 times I pulled the shots it has worked 100% for me in the last ~12 years
>>
File: plsnobully.jpg (445KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
plsnobully.jpg
445KB, 1600x900px
Just shoot him in the heart m8 and it won't be a problem
>>
>>28044445
>I sprinted up to him.
You're hunting wrong. You let them die and THEN you go get them. What if you wouldn't have hit him so hard and he got up and gored you with his antlers, or worse, kicked your face in with his hooves?
>>
>>28046119
>kicked your face in with his hooves
I'm more scared about getting a shattered knee or leg desu
>>
>>28046119
This.

Never run up on a deer or get close to a deer that has its eyes closed. If those eyes aren't open its alive and can possibly get up and beat the shit out of you.
>>
>>28046119
Dad had a buddy go that way.
Came at it from the wrong side and kicked him square in the neck.
>>
>>28043245
I bow hunt so I'm preferential to heart shots. Shoulder is unreliable and you'll damage more meat taking a second shot to finish if. But that bottom pic is incorrect. A heart shot will be through the front legs if the deer is facing you
>>
>>28043245
> Be me.
> Be 12 years old.
>Grandpa wants me to kill my first deer, one that is that's out on the farm.
>Still like bambi and feel bad about killing things.
>Think I'll be cool and just shoot underneath it to scare it off and look like I'm not a total faggot.
> Ready aim fire and...
>Shot through the heart, and you're to blame
>Go hunting often now, the life chose me I tell myself
>>
>>28046694
You dun good boy
>>
File: deer-head-shot-o.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
deer-head-shot-o.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>28043245
Just shot a deer yesterday, right through the fuckin dome. no chance for spoiled meat there.

pic related, one of his eyes popped out like that.
>>
Are Federal .30-06 180 Gr. trophy tips too much for whitetail?
>>
Double lung shot just back of the shoulder so as not to ruin the front shoulder meat. They won't go far...

If you have deer running a mile after a lung shot with a rifle, it wasn't a lung shot.
>>
>>28047844
They'll work just fine. Just make sure they group good in your rifle. Mine hates anything 180 grain.
>>
>>28046100
What's wrong with his antlers?
>>
>>28046119
Plus, you know, if you spook it and it goes running off to die it's gonna taste like ass. Just let it die wherever it is.
>>
>>28048077
There's a person between them.
>>
>>28046100
So you just like drag it out?
I guess you need to hunt by a vehicle or what?
>>
>>28046119
>not hunting with fixed bayonet
>>
>>28043313
>Shooting a doe.
Faggot, its like you don't want there to be deer in the future.
>>
>>28048170
No, it looks like the animal's left horn ends at the man's hand whereas the animal's right antlers extend above the man's head. Keep in mind that left and right are reversed because the animal's head is facing toward the camera.
>>
>>28048231
There are plenty of other does.
>>
>>28043245
Double lung on bucks
Neck on does

I don't like shoulder shots because I use either Barnes TTSX or Hornady SSts and they tend to liquefy meat.
>>
>>28049102
I don't know about elk, but for Oryx you can buy "broken horn" hunts for cheap where you can hunt in a high population area, but can only kill a bull with one broken horn. There are restrictions for what constitutes a broken horn of course. Again, I don'y really know if this is common practice for elk, so this guy might've just happened upon a bull with a broken antler and decided to take the shot to fill the freezer.
>>
>>28043291
This.

Spinal shot or double lung shot is pretty ethical.
>>
>>28043245
my stepdad did this lat week, although not intentionally. he also did it once last year with a button buck, probably unintentionally as well. yes, it drops them immediately. no, its not always a kill shot. the buck was still alive and i finished it off with my shotgun when i got over to him.
>>
>>28048174
Field dress it.

Skin it, remove organs, chop off what you dont plan to bring home, there goes majority of the weight. Then either have a sort of tarp/sled, or ropes if you wanna struggle a bit, in your pack, put it on it/tie it up/wrap it, and get dragging.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.