[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suppressors and Hollywood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 6656532165.jpg (668KB, 1022x768px) Image search: [Google]
6656532165.jpg
668KB, 1022x768px
How loud is a supersonic 5.56 round? I understand suppressors lower the db by quite a bit, but just how quiet are they?

Youtube videos don't seem to provide a good means for understanding how loud they are and Hollywood movies depict them as being quiet death machines that won't wake the neighborhood.

If someone were to fire a suppressed 5.56 supersonic from a 16" barrel, 10 feet away from you in an open environment, how loud would it be? Would the round still cause hearing damage? Can someone compare what it sounds like to an everyday sound?
>>
BOP BOP
>>
>>27846818
Rifles and shotguns?
Still over 110db, as in can cause some instant damage.

it'd be a loud, spiky bang. Like a very loud stapler being hit nearby.

Just look up some Youtube comparisons.
>>
>>27846818
>If someone were to fire a suppressed 5.56 supersonic from a 16" barrel, 10 feet away from you in an open environment, how loud would it be?
About 135dB at1m, depending on the can and conditions.
So at ~3m, about 125dB.
Still rather loud, but hearing safe for a hundred rounds or so.
>>
>>27846847
>Still rather loud, but hearing safe for a hundred rounds or so.
yeah, no. Anything over 80db is already harmful in small dosages. Sounds over 120db got high risk of instant, permanent damage, especially in confined spaces.

wear your earpro, kids.
>>
>>27846847
Oh, and for reference, 125dB is about the same noise level (keep in mind this is only a measurement of the pressure differential, the actual impulse of the noise varies) as a pneumatic tool or car horn.

>>27846858
You are retarded. 140 is instantaneous damage, the 80 dB safety rating is for constant and droning noise. There is a reason I said for about a hundred rounds, not forever.
Do your research fuccboi.
>>
>>27846863
wow, a car horn? Even when it's suppressed?

I imagined it would be a lot quieter.
>>
File: heat.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
heat.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>27846818
You know how 5.56 sounds with shitty earpro that makes you think "I should double up plugs and muffs"

It sounds a lot like that suppressed without earpro.
>>
>>27846863
I've done research, alright.
This was some elementary school's biology stuff.

>>27846868
Guns are loud, bro. A tiny can that traps some of it at the end of the barrel isn't going to do magic and make it go away.
>>
>>27846868
Guns are loud, yo. Especially higher caliber rifles.
If you want hollywood quiet, you're going to need a .22lr gun, a good silencer, and a coolant.
>>
>>27846876
>>27846872
Ridiculous question, but do special operations or military ever use .22lr to kill dogs and sentries?

Also, is that sound unique to 5.56? Or are other rounds like 300 BLK also ridiculously loud? If someone were to fire a suppressed subsonic 300 BLK, how would that be?
>>
>>27846891
Subsonic suppressed is a whole different ballgame. 300blk will meter ~120db. Outside I find it perfectly comfortable to shoot without earpro. As for noise level think of it like slamming a door shut but sharper. It certainly makes noise but nothing bothersome as far as volume.
>>
>>27846891
That sort of setup has seen its fair share of history in sentry removal, yes.

5.56 has a distinct sound, yes, but not really enough to differentiate it from other high velocity rounds. Especially not just by hearing it in the field.

300blk is as popular as it is because it gets stupid quiet.A good subsonic load, wet can, and bolt action gun can just barely push it below 120dB. For reference, an AR15's bolt closing is around 114dB if I remember right.
>>
>>27846923
Interesting, thanks for the answers!
>>
>>27846818

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=342NaW3X8w0

.223 with a suppressor is pretty close to .22lr without. (you can't suppress the bullet breaking the sound barrier)

The point of 300 blk is to have the option for a (loud) supersonic round with decent energy and a sub-sonic heavy bullet that can be suppressed to a larger extend as there is no unsuppressable supersonic crack.

A Subsonic suppressed .22lr bolt-gun (no action noise) is close to a GBB Softair.

Suppresed small caliber sub-sonic with action noise louder than movie-gunshots.

And anything above in the range of "shit I have to cover my ears"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2GchQ3orB0
>>
>>27846891
This video is a pretty good impression of 300 blk/whisper with a bolt gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qfBUPN4sTs

using a semi-auto, it's closer to the handguns in the video in the post above.
>>
File: israeli troop with 22.jpg (122KB, 1000x541px) Image search: [Google]
israeli troop with 22.jpg
122KB, 1000x541px
>>27846891
>Ridiculous question, but do special operations or military ever use .22lr to kill dogs and sentries?
Yes. Israelis use .22lr carbines actively in urban combat, because shit's silent and lightweight.

Also, look up "Hush Puppy". Not .22, but was used for what you described during Nam.
>>
>>27846891
It's pretty common for SWAT teams to use suppressed .22lr rifles to shoot out lamps. For dogs they typically use shotguns.
>>
>>27846818

Get a couple of 2x4 boards and smack the flat sides together.

That's roughly what a suppressed .223 sounds like. Far from silent, but it won't wreck your eardrums either.
>>
>>27846876
what's the noise level on .22lr gun with a silencer?

my shooting range allows shooting .22lr with no hearing protection (if nobody else is using that part of range), so I assume it should be really quiet.
>>
>>27847457

Indeed it is.

On .22lr most of the sound you will hear is the mechanism in the rifle if it is semi-auto, and the bullet hitting the ground behind your target.
>>
>>27847457
On most semis you can usually get it down below 120db, some cans claim closer to 110db. On a bolt gun even quieter for the shooter.

Since this seems to be a solid thread to ask, I'm looking at the Griffin Aramament M4SD II can. Specifically I love the idea that it can use a an A2 flash hider as a qd mount because A2s are cheap and I'm not big on breaks for a 5.56 rifle. Recently though, I was looking at doing a 14.5in build with a pinned flash hider. I don't suppose that any one has played around with the extended A2 from BCM and that particular can? Wondering if that would work.
>>
120 db is like the sound of a power saw. It's enough to wake the entire neighborhood and it stands out.
>>
>>27848443
You could always call to check, but it seems like a silly requirement to impose on yourself. An extended A2 is going to be $25-$30 so it is not a huge jump to a $70 Griffin muzzle device (they have a flash hider mount since you dont like comps/brakes).

You are already choosing a their flagship M4SDII that sells for $800 instead of the standard (and newer design) M4SD at $570 that has the same construction and mounting system. Why are you worrying about saving $40 on the muzzle device?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=delisle+carbine
>>
>>27846891
The Chechen's gave the Russian's a lot of trouble with silenced 22's during the war. Eventually russia made their own silenced rifle. Look up the SV-99. usable for a kill shot up to like 50-70 yards.
>>
>>27847457
When people say suppressed .22 is "stupid quiet", it's still louder than slamming a big door or a tailgate. We're not talking remotely quiet.
>>
>>27849268
Depends on what people consider "stupid" and the suppressor as well as the type of firearm, a bolt action rifle with good sub sonic ammo and decent suppressor will not be much louder than driving in a nail.
Which is "stupid quiet" in the eyes of many.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31scE1_V2f4

An average suppressed semi auto .22 l.r. pistol on the other hand is something the word quiet doesn't really describe adequately ...
>>
>>27846876
>If you want hollywood quiet, you're going to need subsonic ammo, a silencer that isn't shit (aka oil filter), and nothing else.
FTFY
Subsonic ammo gets the "holy shit" reactions. 300BLK is arguably the best suppressed rifle round because it is actually worth a shit at 1050fps and is commercially manufactured. Pistol caliber carbines sound pretty awesome, too.
>>
File: Silencers.gif (1MB, 1000x2820px) Image search: [Google]
Silencers.gif
1MB, 1000x2820px
>>27846818

Everything you ever wanted to know about silencers in one gif.
>>
>>27849268
>We're not talking remotely quiet.
So you've never shot one. Cool.
>>
>>27851679
Retard alert. Adding water drops it by about half the perceived volume.
>>
>>27846840
>Still over 110db, as in can cause some instant damage.
That requires at least 135db, OSHA citing 140.

>>27846858
>yeah, no. Anything over 80db is already harmful in small dosages
80db is safe for 8 hours.
>>
>>27851683
Why wont Minessota and Iowa allow ownership for silencers? I bet in the coming years they would allow it
>>
For those that own a 300 BLK firearm, what is the db for subsonic and suppressors? I searched around and most sources say ~120 db but is that correct?
>>
>>27846818
I'm only here because the thumbnail looked like bare boobs
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.