[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

quality fade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: remington arms.jpg (29KB, 350x226px) Image search: [Google]
remington arms.jpg
29KB, 350x226px
My first gun was a Remington 700. The scope was atrocious. It had little eye relief, and the reticle turned when I adjusted the magnification. After the infamous trigger recall, I sent my Remington in for recall work. The trigger came back as heavy as a bulldozer, so I replaced it with a Timney. Because the new trigger's bolt release got stuck, causing the bolt to come out of the rifle when it wasn't supposed to, I had to take the whole thing apart and oil the bolt release. When I rescrewed it, the trigger guard cracked, so I had to order a new one. After installing the new trigger guard, I could barely open the bolt. The action screws were pressing against the bolt lugs and left a deep, tell-tale scratch. At this point, I gave up on Remington. I sold the rifle to a pawn shop and bought a foreign-made rifle. Old timers used to say that Remington 700s from decades ago were among the best guns in the world. What happened?
>>
>>27798849
I thought remington became part of a new corporate group a couple years back? That's when they went to shit.

My father's rem 700 is by far one of the most wonderful rifles I've ever used.
>>
>>27798849
I bought a Remington 870 3 years ago. The stock isn't flush with the receiver and the forestock was loose. I functions fine but it just feels cheap.
>>
I got a remi 1911 a few years ago and it works like a charm. It's probably luck of the draw
>>
>>27798849
Zastava QC has dropped insane amounts since Yugoslavia broke up. Have some m70s back home and compared to what is available in the USA its a joke, the zastava stuff here is like a toy
>>
>>27798881

Yeah, that USED to be true, but there's a reason for it. Cerberus Capital Management, the 'distressed investing' cunts, bought them out in early 2006. They also bought Bushmaster in 2006, Cobb Manufacturers in 2007, DPMS (Panther Arms) late 2007, Marlin in 2008, and ended their buying spree with Advanced Armament Corporation, one of the few suppressor authorized companies in 2009. Every company they buy, they kick all their current QC'ers out and tell them to get fucked.

Cerberus was either started or currently owned by Dan Quayle, but it's filled to the brim with libscum and detached QC'ers from Colt 2006 when SHTF for them. You can see precisely why this is such an issue.

And yeah, I bought a Rem700 in .308 somewhere around 2010, had to fucking junk it less than a month later, can't even remember how many problems it had.
>>
File: remingtun.jpg (4KB, 240x145px) Image search: [Google]
remingtun.jpg
4KB, 240x145px
>>27798849
>>
they never were the best. they were cheaper than most other rifles while still retaining an acceptable standard of quality. the latter stopped being true.
>>
>>27798849
It's always been an economy design that was built using fewer/simpler machining procedures. It gave up certain things in the process but it was overall robust, accurate and well finished.

The gun has had to become even cheaper in the face of new designs that take better advantage if modern manufacturing techniques and practices. This has been disastrous for it's reputation.

At this point if you want a custom tack driver for playing at the range, you should build on a stripped Remington action instead of buying a complete gun. Economy of scale makes it a great base for a custom target gun. If you want a mid tier hunting gun, look at a winchester 70, tikka or howa.
>>
Its not as simple as Remington's quality going down.

They've just made cheaper versions of their same guns which cut corners.

If you buy their higher end guns, they're just as good as the same guns they made years ago.
>>
>>27798849
Your post reads funny for some reason.

I don't doubt Remington has definitely taken a colossal shit in recent times, but do you have any pics of the gun?
>>
>>27803900
If you were to build something maybe a notch higher than a 700 in performance for a not-fucking-massive price increase, what would it be? Savage? Tikka? Weatherby?
>>
>>27803945
Very much this, if you buy a $350 ADL Sporter you run the risks of bad finish, a barrel cut on worn out tooling, and chatter marks from running the mill too fast.

If you dish $1000 for a 5R Milspec, they are held to much tighter quality and material standards.
>>
File: remington_r51_10.jpg (65KB, 1000x660px) Image search: [Google]
remington_r51_10.jpg
65KB, 1000x660px
>>27804567
>>27803945

Explain how they fucked a gun so bad they pulled them off the shelves, recalled everything, and never re-released it.
>>
I bought a Remington 700 SPS left hand in 7mm Rem Mag and I love it. Shoots about 1 MOA with PPU ammo when I do my part. No misfires, no ejector problems, no nothin. It's a fine rifle. Sure it has some loose plastic along the seams of the stock, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a razor and some sandpaper.
>>
>>27804545
Tikka is both better and cheaper than Remington. Savage is OK, but the action is not first-rate. I can't tell you about Weatherby. I haven't seen enough to develop an opinion about them.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.