[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swords of the northshire, katanas and shit.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

File: sword.png (398KB, 740x645px) Image search: [Google]
sword.png
398KB, 740x645px
So I am a fedora wearing, neck beard and I discovered this site 30 minutes ago.
http://www.swordsofnorthshire.com/custom-swords/customize-your-own-katana/custom-made-hand-forged-samurai-sword-japanese-katana

I know jack shit about steel, Don't even know if I can trust the reviews, but I was wondering how good is 9260 vs 1060 vs 1095 steel is for a blade? Will the swords be durable? What quality do you think these will be?
>>
>>27789566

If you are inexperienced, go buy a Cold Steel Katana for cheap. Don't mess with custom order shit.
>>
>>27789566
>200 bucks
Ehhh, 200 bucks and "custom made" is probably a piece of shit mate.
>>
>>27789600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMrK3ndoBY

I was looking at this guys reviews, looks like a meth head, but it looks like the swords are full tang.
>>
>>27789604
Full tang isn't the only feature you want to look for. Some Chinashit swords are full tang but made of weak or brittle steel. Go with the Cold Steel Katana if you want a fully functional beginner sword.
>>
>>27789628
Forgive my ignorance, but it site says I can get a blade made out of 9260 spring steel, for around 300. Is that about the right price?

Looking at cold steel, they use a 1055 steel. If that site is true how is 9260 vs a 1055 steel?
>>
>>27789641
http://coldsteelforums.com/m143069-print.aspx
>>
>>27789641
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/is-5160-a-good-steel-for-a-katana.html
>>
>>27789566
Saw that on one of the Vsauce youtube channels the other day. Was curious about that site too.
>>
>>27789641
I honestly don't know much about steels, generally I go by prices which is a tad fucked, but its what I do.

At 200-300, you're looking at an entry level piece, the difference is business wise when people start saying "custom made" they tend to charge more for what you get because of the labor involved, whether it's fair or not, it's just a thing.

You can get a Paul Chen for around the same price, that's directly marketed as an entry level piece, they make no grand custom claims, it's quick and it works, so you tend to get more bang for your buck versus some "custom" piece.
>>
>>27789641

It doesn't matter for a beginner.

Spring steel is more flexible. It's in the name. 1055 doesn't flex as much. I find that 1055 steel retains the edge longer on knives. In the end, it is pointless maximization and minimization a beginner should not worry about.

Steel doesn't even tell a full story. It's the tempering that matters. You can still have a spring steel sword that is brittle as glass.

Save yourself from the meaningless steel classifications and just get a cheap beginner sword.
>>
>>27789657
Ya...that is where I saw the site from too, it looks fucking awesome, but most of the reviews are 4-5 stars, which makes me worried that they are not showing the bad reviews.
>>27789660
What is a good price for a starter sword? I want to believe that they are good nature chinamen willing to make a quality product for cheep.
>>27789658
Sorry again, what is a Paul chen, and how much do they run?
>>
>>27789680
>Paul chen
I dunno, what's google?

>and how much do they run?
250-350 depending on sales and what not.
>>
>>27789690
I realized that, by the time you posted that, I was already on their site.

Do you have experience with Paul chen? What is your opinions on their swords?
>>
At this price point you are really paying for the fittings. The blades are all fine, they will cut almost anything if they are through hardened.
>>
>>27789717
fittings are free, which is interesting. That leaves the question, how good is their swords? If their 9260 swords is as good as cold steel, and Paul chens shit, I would rather have custom shit on it.
>>
>>27789716
>Do you have experience with Paul chen? What is your opinions on their swords?
As said before, entry level, nothing fancy, what you see is what you get and it's really advertised as such. It works though, that's what's important as you learn proper striking.
>>
>>27789733
I might as well get a wood blade to train. Or a stick.
>>
>>27789647
>>27789651
Hey I haven't seen this guy in a while.
>>
>>27789742
I agree, that's why I own a bokken and have no interest in buying a shinken till I actually know what the fuck I'm doing.
>>
If you want any type of sword I.e katana go to Angel swords based out of Texas... He has the world's strongest swords ... He even challenges every Japanese sword maker to compete... Legit
>>
>>27789566
Anyone ever bought a sword from Lutel? I heard they can't ship swords past the length of their Katzbalgers.

http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/?p=productsMore&iProduct=42&sName=Hand-and-a-half-sabre-11005
>>
>>27789762
I probably will do that.

looking more at them, it is overwhelmingly positive reviews. That is either a good sign or a bad sign, fucking hell it looks awesome. Key word is "looks". I need to see their refund policy. Has any one gone through them yet? Or should I risk it?
>>
>>27789779
What, Paul Chens?

It's an established type mate, I remember seeing and getting recommended them back about 8 years ago. They know what they're doin.
>>
>>27789801
Sorry, I meant swords of the northshire ones.
>>
>>27789804
Oh, Iunno then, if it has good reviews and an established rep, go for it.
>>
>>27789808
I think I will risk it, Fuck it, I don't need a xbone.
>>
the return policy looks interesting.

Returns

We offer a 100% money-back guarantee if for any reason you are not satisfied, for 30 days after your purchase. We will offer replacement, reshipment, or refunds to make sure you are fully satisfied with your order.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it.

You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item, unless it's our mistake

If you are shipping an item over $75, you should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance.
>>
>>27789811
Understand that live blades are for cutting, if you don't intend to start doin some tameshigiri, practically it won't really help you.

Unless you just want a live blade for the sake of it.
>>
>>27789825
I want it for the sake of it. I want a "real" sword, one with "practical" applications. That could cut shit with out problems. One that would last. Not one that is indestructible perse, but a unique piece that is cool.

But knowing that, If I am going to do mall ninja shit, ill get a wood blade.
>>
>>27789840
Cut shit, it'll do, without problem? Ehhhhhhhhh you know.
>>
>>27789860
So, what makes a katana, a good katana?
>>
>>27789867
Integrity, blade retention. It's like what makes a good optic a good optic. Anything can zero in on a point, but to zero in, stand explosions, user errors, and shooting for tens of thousands of rounds while still holding that zero, that's some quality.

A katana can cut, any sharpened steel can cut decently, but if it holds its edgy, resists shock for cuts you fuck up, or blades / weapons it comes in contact with and continues to perform, the fitting are well made and withstand the inevitable loosening from us, and are designed to easily add more seppa should the fittings start to loosen, all are good signs.

Lots of LITTLE things make a good katana, all things considered the only reason you may get a true live blade are if you're so into it you need it, when you need to cut down wrapped tatami without the freed portion budging.

For that, you need to be prepared to shell out a couple grand.
>>
>>27789877
if I am going to spend a few grand on a sword, I would get a colt python... but for 300 for shits and giggles. it would be cool.
>>
>>27789884
That's what I'm saying, a Paul Chen practical will be decent for what it is, kinda PSA style for an AR. Quality control aint perfect, but it doesn't need to be for the price, you get a functional katana.

I can't justify 2 grand into a sword that you need to maintain mind you, you need to oil that shit and keep it working, it's not just a stick.
>>
>>27789566
you're good. that steel is all good as long as the temper isn't shit.
at that price you'll be looking at bad fittings and other shoddy worksmanship
order from this place
http://www.sinosword.com/
much better place.
I checked quality. You're better off here. Trust.
>>
>>27789899
I geuss, I am looking for the "nugget" of kanatas, The paul chen looks like the safe beat. But this northshire shit looks fucking awesome.
>>
>>27789911
Actually the paul chen would be better described as the nugget of katana.

No experience on Northshire, however, if you would please, learn what makes a proper katana and then do some kind of review, add that shit to the list so we can slowly build a comparison of it.
>>
File: axe.jpg (3KB, 211x211px) Image search: [Google]
axe.jpg
3KB, 211x211px
>swords
For 14 Canadian dollars you can get yourself a far superior tool. A hatchet can break your 500 dollar cold steel shit in half with one chop.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods_-non-slip-camp-axe-0765674p.html#.VjnStStv-Uk
>>
File: DSCN1492.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1492.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>27789919
I should do that. No one seems to have experience with them. If they are true to their word, or not. Ill post when I get the funds.
>>27789923
I have a sks for that.
>>
>>27789923
My dick could break cold steel shit.
Their quality control is a massive joke. I must admit it's a funny one though.
>>
>>27789923
Also be used as a hammer, crow bar, wire cutter, lock openupera
>>
>>27789930
Cold Steel actually makes pretty good quality swords. you should watch some of the videos showing the swords undergoing abuse
>>
>>27789974
1. Their swords are of decent quality for cutting
2. Their forge is infamous for terrible quality control. If the designs were implemented properly they would have decent swords, but they have major defects far more often than their competitors swords do.
>>
>>27789974
Eh, not overly impressed with their swords.

I do have their warhammer, though. Tough as fuck, but it is hard to fuck up a hammer.
>>
>>27789723
Fittings aren't free. Fittings make up 70% of the cost over $300, the blades are the cheapest part.
>>
>>27789723
just go with sinoswords man. trust
>>
File: walt.gif (858KB, 240x228px) Image search: [Google]
walt.gif
858KB, 240x228px
>>27789974
No

the yuro ones are whippy pieces of shit

the sabers are contracted out to Windlass steelcrafts, universal cutlery, and some fly by night DESIGNATED factories and besides being 1055 for the blades they are actually pretty good.

the japanese swords are overbuilt PoS compared to competitors several hundred dollars lower in price range, let alone at the ~500 dollarydoo mark

>>27789566
trash OP
http://www.yarinohanzo.com/Katana-Custom-katana-personalizzata-artigianale-comprare-spada-samurai-giapponese/
http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=29936&highlight=katana
or buy
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PC1070&name=Hanwei+Practical+Katana+Classic
or
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH6000KPC&name=Hanwei+Practical+Elite+Katana

for a good differentially tempered monosteel blade that won't shit the bed.

or stop being a fucking weeb
>>
>>27790036
How do you know that they are trash?
>>
>>27789628
Why cold steel and not hanwei?

I was too much of a kendo guy to actually get into swords as a teen because I figured it was better to wait and get an actual martial arts cutter or an antique, sadly though when I became an adult I didn't have time for martial arts anymore and I became more interested in practicing my shooting.
>>
>>27789923
1. A hatchet cannot break a sword, even a stainless steel one. Go ahead, make a video of you trying.
2. A hatchet is a better tool for some things, but even a dull brittle sword is better for killing people than a hatchet, look up what "leverage" is on wikipedia.

Also hatchets aren't that good.

10/10 why am I replying to a troll?
>>
>>27791671
>no-name brand
>200 dollars
>not having eyeballs to see how crappy that looks
for the same price you can buy a Hanwei
>>
>>27791774
they have different steel,
>>
>>27791780
that doesn't matter, the company and it's reputation (and lack thereof) do.

when SBG, MyArmoury, and 20 random anons tell you to go with established brands...

if someone told you to not hit your dick with a hammer, would you question why they think not hitting your dick with a hammer is a bad idea?
>>
huh 9260 seems forgiving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC952ICHw1Q
>>
>>27789923
>Muh glorious stainless steel hatchet cuts through swords like butter
You sound just like the weeaboos with their shit katanas
>>
>>27791692
Hanwei is actually superior than Coldshit.

Though both are made in China.
>>
>>27789566
>katana
>not a badger blade

NO

STOP
>>
>>27793262
Yeah, Chinese monosteel blades are quite good beginner's swords and suitable for the abusive user as well.

All that bullshit about folding and nihonto numba one is just that. Bullshit. You dont want an original Katanah that is either extremely rigid or brittle as fuck and cant into flex.
>>
>durability
for what though? wtf are you guys doing with swords?
>y u no machete or kukri?
>>
File: Albion.jpg (218KB, 1024x692px) Image search: [Google]
Albion.jpg
218KB, 1024x692px
Or just skip the part where you continue being a mouthbreather and become a real man with a real hand made quality sword.

http://www.albion-swords.com/
>>
>>27794524
>paying $1000+ for a sword
why
>>
Get an non-pleb sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx4IjQN_W7w
>>
File: Albion 1.jpg (366KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Albion 1.jpg
366KB, 1024x768px
>>27794541
Because it's a quality item that won't fucking fall apart in a week like the "sword" in the OP.
>>
>>27794524
>a real hand made quality sword.
http://www.badgerblades.com/
sup
>>
So I guess this is the sword thread.

I was a saber, new prodeuction, that has a real carbon steel blade, is a quality item, and isn't fucking cold steel.

Willing to pay up to 2k, just haven't found one. Any tips?
>>
>>27794563
Doesn't matter what you pay for it. Outside of owning antique swords owning replicas and the like is autistic as fuck. Unless you do that LARP shit which can be kind of cool I'll admit from what I've seen. Just owning them for wall hanging is tacky and a red flag for wizard status.
>>
>>27794627
But it's a wall hanger that you can pull down and cleave limbs off with!
>>
>>27794627
Or you just like blades. You could turn around and say that owning a long gun is autistic as fuck, as you'll likely never use it anywhere but the range.

People have different tastes m8.
>>
>>27794603
>http://www.albion-swords.com/
>>
>>27794645
If you live in some noguns freedom hating shithole maybe. Chances are if you live somewhere where they hate guns you'll probably get ass fucked in court for cleaving off Abduls arm.

Do you people even know how to handle a sword and do you take into account that fighting inside a closed space like a bedroom or hallway with a sword is going to get you fucked up?
>>
>>27794680
I would love to have an Albion gladius or spatha if I had the cash to blow on one.
>>
>>27794689
That's where swords designed to thrust work wonders.
>>
>>27794669
What is hunting and Innawoods in general?

Wall hanging is just that. Wall hanging.

But I'll concede at different strokes for different folks.
>>
File: 2qnntid.jpg (65KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
2qnntid.jpg
65KB, 800x600px
>>27794725
Wall hanging and fondling.
>>
>>27794689
It's pretty funny that people think that because a technology is old, it's inadequate and dangerous.

I'm not advocating buying a sword for home defense, but if you had to use it, it's not as if you would just suddenly lop your own arm off unawares.
>>
>>27794627
LARPing is the most autistic shit ever
>>
>>27794764
Larping with real swords is even more autistic.
>>
File: IMGP0020.jpg (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0020.jpg
80KB, 640x480px
>>27794559
Why is the curved handle the most aesthetically pleasing thing ever?
>>
>>27794795
Because it's functional
>>
>>27794775
LARP fags use retarded foam weapons, HEMA cunts occasionally use sharp blades but yeah it's autistic as fuck
>>
>>27794741
I wasn't just saying that most of the swords that autists buy are katanas and large European swords they can barely lift that focus more on slashing instead of thrusting which in an enclosed space is a recipe for disaster.

>>27794764
The ones who use actual swords that are dulled down and know what they're doing isn't so bad. I've only watched some documentary on a LARP group who did it that way and it looked painful and accurate. Now that foam and cardboard LARP shit is autist as fuck.
>>
>>27789840
Then don't get a katana. They can't cut "shit". They can cut people, fairly well. They can slice through bamboo like a boss. You try to cut any other "shit", though, and it will fucking shatter.

Get a saber.
>>
>>27794795
Because it gives you high-speed low drag compared to the sluggish Weeaboo style.
>>
>>27794775
Are you talking about HEMA? It's the most real use of medieval weapons that exists today, I would say it's the least autistic reason to own them
>>
File: stragelove-eyebrow-gif.gif (492KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
stragelove-eyebrow-gif.gif
492KB, 500x313px
>>27794541
>Why?

Because quality costs money. Same way that a hi-point costs a fraction of the price of a decent handgun in the same caliber. A well-made sword takes dozens of hours work, even with modern machinery providing some shortcuts in manufacturing.

As for Why buy a sword? Why not? Same reason some people still buy 35mm film cameras, or some people like to read the book instead of watch the film. People like different things. If you only live your life looking at every object you buy through the lens of "how effective is this for some SHTF event that will never happen" then you have a pretty one-dimensional, sad life.

>>27794514
>Cold Steel actually makes pretty good quality swords.

Ha. Hahaha. HahahahahahahaaaaaaahNO.

Cold steel are designed and marketed to basement-dwelling fantasists who know no better. Their swords are notoriously bad quality; grotesquely overweight, with cheap castings for hilt furniture. they are made with little or no distal taper, because it saves money. they has the side effect of making them blade-heavy, which makes them very good for chopping static objects. However, it makes for a terrible sword for anything else. And yes, chances are you're never going to get into a swordfight in this day and age, but the fact remains the lumps of steel they make should at least handle like the real things... which they dont.
>>
>>27794807
>HEMA cunts occasionally use sharp blades but yeah it's autistic as fuck

But being fixated on guns isnt?

Newsflash: you're no better than the people interested in HEMA. At least they get out and do some exercise.
>>
>>27795014
weapons are practical, sword duels are not.

>inb4 meme reply
>>
>>27795151
Nobody in the thread is claiming that sword duels are any good or real in this day and age.

If I wanted a handgun I'd buy a fucking handgun. But, I like blades, and they interest me far more. I'm not going to walk around with a sword strapped to my hip, but I'll sure as shit get enjoyment from it, which is the whole fucking point.

I hesitate to use the word but you really do sound like a fudd.

Go ahead, call this a meme reply.
>>
File: 1369015537078.gif (2MB, 331x240px) Image search: [Google]
1369015537078.gif
2MB, 331x240px
>Mfw I can't find anyplace that sells crucible forged Ulfberth's with the correct spelling.
>>
>>27795467
There was a documentary on Netflix a long while back about a guy who was making them in his backyard. I wonder if he sells any
>>
>>27795467
Ric Furrier has said the one made for the Nat Geographic documentary is still looking for a buyer.

Expect to pay at least $10,000 for it.

any other smith with the skill to make crucible steel, and forge it to shape, and do the inlay, and give it a hilt of a suitable standard, you're easily looking at the same pricetag.

and if you seriously think that highly skilled craftsmen are going to give to a 500+ man-hour job like one of those for less than $20 an hour, you're delusional.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.