[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teach Me Your Ways

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_5241.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5241.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
Hey /k/. First time gun owner here. Picked up this M44 not too long ago, and it's the second time I've shot her. I've used only Brown Bear and Tulammo, and ran about 160 rounds or so through her. First time, I "cleaned" her up on the spot, then a little more at home. Today, I cleaned her up a little, and then tried to finish up more once I got home. Is this rust? Please tell me it's not. Did I fuck up? What am I doing wrong? How do I clean a rifle, because I admit I don't know how exactly.
>>
>>24129948
Not getting rust in the barrel is as easy as.
>have boresnake
>spray/dip boresnake with oil
>run through gun a few times
>you now have a layer of oil over everything so moisture can't reach corrosive salts even if they're still present
It's hard to tell if that's rust or something else from your pic.
>>
>>24130012
>Wanting him to ruin his barrel with a bore snake.
>>
>>24129948
>Is this rust? Please tell me it's not.

Looks like metal fouling from the copper jacket. Soak a patch in some copper solvent, run it down the bore, and let it sit for an hour. Then run another patch soaked in copper solvent down and see what comes out. Run a few more patches through, then a few dry ones and check again for color. If it remains, then repeat.
>>
>>24130012
I run cloth patches with a plastic bore cleaner rod, with some oil and Sweet's 7.62. First the Sweet's, then the oil. I live in Arizona, and it's pretty much always dry here, so I don't get where I'm fucking up, or if there's more to it.

I'll wipe it with a Q tip to see if I get a better idea of what it is
>>
>>24129948
cant tell if this is a troll thread
Either op is too dumb to know what rust looks like or is a troll
>>
>>24130106
Well, OP was using corrosive ammo.
>>
>>24129948
it is metal fouling man. All barrels look like this when no solvent is used to clean the bore. Once you get solvent in your barrel and run some patches through 2-3 times, it will go away.
>>
>>24130106
Copper
Must be dumb
>>
>>24130055
>implying a bore snake actually ruins a barrel, nvm the small piece of metal going 2000+ fps through it.
>>
File: Green Patches Halfsize.jpg (285KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Green Patches Halfsize.jpg
285KB, 1536x1152px
>>24129948
It's not rust, OP. It's copper from the bullet jacket.

Enjoy using 9001 patches to get that shit out, only to have it return the next time you shoot.

There is another way, however...
>>
>OP reminded me to go check AR for fouling in the barrel.
>As I am eyeing the inside of the barrel I get tackled.
>Mom is screaming at me about shooting myself and is going to call the cops.
>mfw
>>
>>24130146
B-Brown Bear and Tulammo is corrosive?

>>24130106
I'm the first in my family to even want to get a gun. I've never had someone sit down and teach me how to clean a gun after shooting it. It's not dumb. It's ignorance. And I came here wanting to change that.

Anyways, so, Boresnakes? I was told by the dude who sold me the cleaning kit at the gunshow I got the rifle that copper brushes can potentially ruin the barrel.
>>24130177

Is this just fuddlore? Or . .?
>>
>>24130177
>There is another way, however...
Does it involve pee?
It involves pee, doesn't it?
>>
>>24130205
When does it NOT involve pee?
>>
>>24130197
>fuddlore.
Nope, copper does rub off on the rifling.
And you are talking about cleaning metal off something, using liquids and cloth.

It's gonna take time and it sucks, welcome to fun ownership!
>>
File: image.jpg (222KB, 1128x713px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
222KB, 1128x713px
This is rust
>>
>>24130197
Look man, it's just copper fouling. It affects accuracy but doesn't really have to be addressed until it gets a lot worse. It won't rust or anything. Your gun is fine.

Don't go ramming cleaning rods down the bore over nothing. They do damage the rifling gradually.

Also if the nugget is your first gun I advise a cheap used .22 rifle to complement it. You can get them for under 100$ most anywhere and they're great for honing marksmanship so you don't develop bad habits from the recoil of a mosin.
>>
>>24130055
Holy fuck you're dumb as fuck.

The metals in your boresnake are not as tough as the metal your barrel is made out of. And will not damage your barrel. Dipshit.

If they did, you would only ever use nylon bore brushes. Fuckwit.
>>
>>24130197
>Anyways, so, Boresnakes? I was told by the dude who sold me the cleaning kit at the gunshow I got the rifle that copper brushes can potentially ruin the barrel.

Think about this for a second.
Copper is soft and squishy like French man.
Steel is strong, like Russian woman.
Copper cannot harm steel, steel laughs at coppers weak attempts.
Copper surrenders to steel and cleans for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 768x556px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 768x556px
This is copper
>>
>>24130221
Dear lord. On a related note, say I find something for real cheap at a gun show, and it has a barrel like this. IF I'm willing to put the work into it, is it possible to save something like this? I assume it's cheaper to get a replacement barrel if necessary, but otherwise, how would I go about trying to restore it?

>>24130239
A .22 is what I had in mind for my next purchase. So far, I've only used the nugget for some plinking.

>>24130219
I'm lazy as fuck, and unorganized. Am I naive to think guns will change this?
>>
>>24130295
>Am I naive to think guns will change this?
Actually no.
If you commit to it as a hobby it may actually show you that organization and attention to detail can actually be enjoyable.
>>
>>24130269

kek'd
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.