[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good documentaries about Japan? I really liked

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: the-great-happiness-space-1.jpg (119KB, 1238x696px) Image search: [Google]
the-great-happiness-space-1.jpg
119KB, 1238x696px
What are some good documentaries about Japan?
I really liked this already famous Jiro one, pic related was pretty interesting too and there are some great (albeit short) produced by Vice Japan division on youtube.
But i struggle to find something other that isn't either shallow "lol wacky japan xD" feature or yet another common facts compilation produced by random geographic channel.
>>
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (206KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
206KB, 2560x1600px
>>17543170
Ah, forgot this one miniseries, really interesting if you are into vidya, i guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8z8-SKg3WU
>>
This is not the board for learning "about Japan."

Try /int/ or something.
>>
>>17543202
Uh, ok
What's about it then? Seems almost tohou-exclusive from catalog
>>
File: jp.png (191KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
jp.png
191KB, 800x800px
>/jp/ - Otaku Culture

>1. All images and discussion should pertain to light and visual novels, figures and other otaku paraphernalia, Touhou Project, Vocaloid, doujin works and music, and diverse niche Japanese interests (kigurumi, idols, mahjong, tea).
>2. This is the appropriate board for the discussion of Japanese visual novels and light novels. Western visual novels should be posted to /vg/, and translated visual novels are fine on either board.

>Seems almost tohou-exclusive from catalog
You can't be serious, half the threads are idolshit generals
>>
>>17543269
ok, deleting thread
>>
>>17543269
>general
>edition
Holy shit. Jp really is dead.
>>
Was I the only one who thought the bottles were shopped Flandre's crystals?
>>
>>17543202
/int/ is pretty cancer and it's hard to get decent discussion
plus we have /djt/ and idol threads and some things popping up there and there about jap internet
this thread is dead anyways
>>
There are two I remember watching, but I can't remember their names.

One is where a British journalist goes to Japan and meets a weird Marxist guy working as a salaryman and living in poverty with his hostess(?) girlfriend.

The other one I saw was about people living in Manga Cafes.

I've seen a couple of other documentaries about Japan, but those are the only ones which I actually remember anything about.

Oh, actually, there's a third one that I remember. I think Vice did a documentary about the Japanese sex industry. There was some pretty weird stuff in that.
>>
I also find these type of documentaries really comfy and interesting to watch, although it has to be with absolutely zero narration other than the people being interviewed or maybe some text panels.

The Ghibli one is good if you just want to watch Miyazaki being himself for better or worse.

Ones I havent fully watched but might suggest if you can find them subtitled;
Yuki Yukite Shingun
Ending Note
Children Full of Life
History of Postwar Japan as Told by a Bar Hostess
Goddo supiido yuu! Burakku emparaa
Minamata, The Victims and their World
>>
File: N1K2-J.jpg (994KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
N1K2-J.jpg
994KB, 1920x1080px
>>17543170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxaj_MQ2Svw
>>
>>17544165
Oh shit I completely forgot about The Birth of Saké which is one of the best ones I've seen recently visually. Its also pretty touching.
>>
>>17544199
Not sure they are surviving. One employee went to Gensokyo, two quit, and the rest are in their 70s or something.
>>
>>17543202
kill yourself yes it is
>>
Just watch japanese style originator on netflix, pretty solid stuff about japanese culture.
>>
>>17543202
Fuck off there's more to /jp/ than touhou
>>
>>17543170
This documentary was really interesting. I watched it in Nagano, recently.
>>
>>17551573
Nice, where are you in Nagano? I was in Yamanouchi and Matsumoto not too long ago.
>>
>>17543170
It's not so much documentaries, but the Toco Toco series on youtube showcases local artists and other people, some you might already know, and they bring you around their favorite part of their city to show you their favorite bar or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBTQo1MuG1U

Another kind of series is the Document 72 hours by NHK where they hang out at random spots in Japan for 27 hours and interview normal people. It's on youtube as well but it's more or less potato quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb1W-NfH1u4
>>
Vice is absolute garbage. It's mostly, "Japan is so weird!". If you want a showcase of everyday Japan, watch Japanology.
>>
>>17543953
>One is where a British journalist goes to Japan and meets a weird Marxist guy working as a salaryman and living in poverty with his hostess(?) girlfriend.

Here. It's a real treat for us jaded and downtrodden drunks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH-kNnq7mFM
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here in Europe various countries have shows where people look for new homes, so they have a real estate agent show them possible houses that meet their criteria etc. It's interesting because it shows what the average house looks like, and the kind of prices they go for.
So my question is, is there anything like this for Japan?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.