[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese Novels

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Hyouka_v01_000.jpg (390KB, 1174x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Hyouka_v01_000.jpg
390KB, 1174x1600px
My Japanese isn't good enough to read LNs yet and I want to read Hyouka. Is the B-T translation acceptable?
>>
No.
>>
Novel translations are hard. The translator has to be able to write interesting sentences, not only translate. Even works translated by professionals often have a different feel and can easily lose their original charm.
Now try to guess what kind of quality B-T translations are, done by amateurs that hardly know Japanese and can't even write for shit.
>>
>>17484064
>The translator has to be able to write interesting sentences, not only translate. Even works translated by professionals often have a different feel and can easily lose their original charm
I think that would require either a great deal of incompetency or for the novel to be written in some special prose that is difficult to translate. I don't think that the latter applies to most LNs so it seems that it's mostly dependent on the translator's skill. I don't see how difficult it could be for a competent translator to capture the "charm" of the original, when the original (LN) isn't exactly wonderfully written to begin with. The fan translations that I've read have never felt bland or disconnected from my expectation of how the novel should feel so I suppose they did a good job.

Hyouka is supposedly well written, so I would understand if the translation wasn't good. But it's either this or two (or more) years of study before I can read it. That's why I asked whether or not it was acceptable, I don't know what you think of HakoMari and Oregairu, but I think their fan-translations were acceptable at worst, and pretty decent at best. I want to know if the Hyouka translation is of a similar standard, where some subtleties are missed out but the general essence is retained. Of course I can just find out for myself but I felt like discussing this for some reason.
>>
>>17484410
They're talking about good prose. Most weebs translating this shit can't write good prose, including most "professionals" working with weebshit.

Then again as your own post shows, most weebs reading these things don't care about good prose and will gladly eat up poorly worded dreck.
>>
>>17483967
It's good enough.

>>17484462
>poorly worded dreck
Good job summarising 99% of light novels. Their prose is shit and any half decent translation will properly capture it, if not improve it.

Nothing is more amusing than people treating light novels as some high literature whose translation would require the work of some grand Japanese scholar. These are books aimed at teenagers, and any elitism is fucking laughable.
>>
>>17484571
A huge portion of translators go for "direct" translations that barely sound like English among other things. I'm not sure how wanting something coherent is elitism.
>>
>>17483967
If you ain't reading Yukio Mishima, you ain't reading.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.