[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this fairy have actual insect antennae and wings?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

File: 62931141_p0.jpg (557KB, 901x1200px) Image search: [Google]
62931141_p0.jpg
557KB, 901x1200px
Why does this fairy have actual insect antennae and wings?
>>
>>17342264
Misspelled name.
MISSPELLED NAME!
>>
Why does any fairy? Why don't they have actual bird wings instead?
>>
File: Sunny-milk-FW.png (166KB, 403x416px) Image search: [Google]
Sunny-milk-FW.png
166KB, 403x416px
>>17342303
>Why does any fairy?
Fairies look like this.
>>
>>17342289
What should her name be?
>>
>>17342329
Atarnity
>>
File: vfits.png (2MB, 1018x1441px) Image search: [Google]
vfits.png
2MB, 1018x1441px
>>17342321
And like this
>>
>>17342321
Cute little girls with insect wings. what of it?

>>17342329
Instant Imago
>>
File: Th16Eternity.png (157KB, 401x448px) Image search: [Google]
Th16Eternity.png
157KB, 401x448px
>>17342321
>>17342348
There has never been a fairy that looks like this.

>>17342349
Which insects have completely featureless, translucent wings? Which insect has Luna's wings?
>>
>>17342336
we devianart now
>>
>>17342357
Her wings are just featureless wings painted to look like a glass window.
>>
>>17342380
Then what's the horn?
>>
>>17342383
An organ that appears when she gets bothered and secretes a substance with a powerful smell.
>>
>>17342528
You mean she pees herself?
>>
>>17342289
It's cuter misspelled.
>>
File: p.jpg (33KB, 371x384px) Image search: [Google]
p.jpg
33KB, 371x384px
>>17342329
>>
>>17342329
Lārva Æterna
>>
>>17342264
Insect fairies have insect wings, just as ice fairies have ice wings.
>>
>>17342815
Since when did fairies have any inhuman parts other than wings though? Larva-chan could easily pass as a youkai.
>>
>>17343533
Ever since ZUN decided to add those on to a fairy
>>
File: Fixed Etarnity.png (27KB, 401x448px) Image search: [Google]
Fixed Etarnity.png
27KB, 401x448px
>>
>>17343558
In a demo, meaning Eternity's status is wholly questionable.
>>
I do wonder if her name is a mashup of eternity and titania. but also that's dumb.
>>
>>17343596
Except fairies are an integral part of the story and so is her appearance at all.
>>
>>17344833
What?
>>
>>17344892
The seasons going nuts has all the fairies going nuts because it gives them a ton of energy. This is why Cirno decides to go out and conquer Gensokyo, why Lily appears in stage 3, and why Eternity (who is normally even more of a weakling) becomes confident enough to at least put up a fight. If she weren't a fairy she wouldn't be relevant.
>>
>>17344901
While Lily is probably similarly powered, she's just going nuts because she thinks it's spring and she always goes nuts then.
>>
>>17344901
>The seasons going nuts has all the fairies going nuts because it gives them a ton of energy.
That's the issue though, we don't know the nature of the incident, just that it seems to directly involve seasons/climates and fairies. Visually Eternity is a very unusual fairy, gameplay-wise she's also unusual in that she's a specific fairy that reached boss-level power whereas the stages are still filled with weak fairies, and contextually there could be more fairy-related changes than some just getting energized. (IE, why are plants growing on her and Cirno?) These are all reasons to believe she's not just some run-of-the-mill fairy.

Furthermore, there were two other bosses in the same demo that had nothing to do with fairies whatsoever.
>>
>>17344939
>she's also unusual in that she's a specific fairy that reached boss-level power
You mean like Cirno, who was a stage 2 boss without needing a power boost?

>Visually Eternity is a very unusual fairy
You mean like Cirno and her icicle wings?
>>
>>17344939
>Visually Eternity is a very unusual fairy
Unusual = I haven't seen these specific traits before. Ok.

>whereas the stages are still filled with weak fairies
Literally what is all of Fairy Wars?

>Furthermore, there were two other bosses in the same demo that had nothing to do with fairies whatsoever.
...Because they had to do with other things? What kind of statement is that?

You are working backwards to fit your story, anon.
>>
>>17343659
could even be a slight corruption of the word tarnished (ie 'to tarn'), as she is tarnished by the incident's brush at the moment of gameplay?
>>
>>17345086
Cirno is a very unusual fairy, is she not?

>>17345145
>Unusual = I haven't seen these specific traits before. Ok.
You should probably look the word up in a dictionary if it gives you that much trouble.

>Literally what is all of Fairy Wars?
Completely irrelevant to the discussion?

>...Because they had to do with other things? What kind of statement is that?
>You are working backwards to fit your story, anon.
I was addressing this
>If she weren't a fairy she wouldn't be relevant.
It seems you want so badly to be contrarian you're not even following the conversation.
>>
>>17345278
>You should probably look the word up in a dictionary if it gives you that much trouble.
You're arguing that Eternity might not be a fairy because we haven't seen other fairies with antennae. Rather than just acknowledging that fairies have various characteristics and they don't necessarily have to only have traits previously seen. Please.

>Completely irrelevant to the discussion?
Fairy Wars is a game where you dispatch a bunch of random fairies and then fight the Three Fairies as bosses despite them being total weaklings; using the fodder as a metric is meaningless. You argue "boss-level power" as though being a stage 1 boss when powered up is anything special.

>I was addressing this
I misunderstood what you were referring to, because you didn't get what I said either. Rephrasing, if she weren't a fairy, there would be no justification for her being in the game. It's repeatedly said she is a fairy and is only fighting because the incident has made them more energetic -- her purpose in the game is to expand that context.
>>
>>17342348
Clownpiece is the most beautiful girl there.
>>
>>17345356
>You're arguing that Eternity might not be a fairy because we haven't seen other fairies with antennae. Rather than just acknowledging that fairies have various characteristics and they don't necessarily have to only have traits previously seen. Please.
Or any other animal parts on fairies at all whatsoever, in any material whatsoever, and fairies are a pretty well-covered topic when it comes to Touhou. It's firmly-established canon that fairies have the potential to become youkai, even incredibly weak ones like Luna. This is also a game that revolves around weird shit happening to fairies in general, meaning all bets are off either way. Furthermore, colored wings are virtually unseen, even among those with butterfly wings, with the exception of makai fairies who have unnatural coloring unlike Eternity.

>Fairy Wars is a game where you dispatch a bunch of random fairies and then fight the Three Fairies as bosses despite them being total weaklings; using the fodder as a metric is meaningless. You argue "boss-level power" as though being a stage 1 boss when powered up is anything special.
Fairy Wars is a spinoff game where you play as a fairy, battling in what isn't even a real incident. This is a mainline game where you play as Reimu, Marisa, Aya, or that same fairy but supercharged to solve an incident. There is an obviously completely different scale in conflict between the two. There have only been two prior instances of boss fairies in mainline games and each were exceptional fairies with exceptional backgrounds to distinguish them. Eternity on the other hand stands out because, unlike Cirno and Clownpiece, she has no known extraordinary background yet has visibly unique features.

>Rephrasing, if she weren't a fairy, there would be no justification for her being in the game.
If ZUN can justify having non-fairies in the game as bosses then being a fairy is not inherently a justification. He could have just as easily put a non-fairy boss in Stage 1 as well, and there would be an awful lot fewer questions raised judging by how unassuming Nemuno and Aunn are in comparison.

>It's repeatedly said she is a fairy and is only fighting because the incident has made them more energetic
That's literally every fairy you mow down in the course of the game. It also said she embodies life, death, and metamorphosis. She also said she felt like could become god. While it's true that the incident is what made her go berserk (interesting choice of words by ZUN), going specifically on that while ignoring everything else is just cherrypicking.

>her purpose in the game is to expand that context.
Congrats, you're the first post in this thread to make an actual counterargument. Yes it contextually makes sense for some nobody fairy to be a first boss in a game that supposedly revolves around fairies, however that in itself doesn't address all the other questions about her character, and it being the way it is. Furthermore, there's nothing stopping her from filling that role and then being used for something else down the line anyway. ZUN could have easily made a much more unassuming fairy than Eternity, but he didn't, and that creates a Chekhov's Gun situation.

By the way, I don't draw conclusions based on incomplete information. I'm just pointing out unusual characteristics and speculating on what they might indicate, while eliminating contradictions. If ZUN were planning to do something unusual with Eternity's character, such as turn her into a youkai or even make her a youkai disguised as a fairy, there would be clear evidence he could call back to as foreshadowing. He would be contradicting NO established canon whatsoever. I'm not saying I'm certain that's what he intends to do, but among the new characters Eternity simply has suspicious attributes, and trying to gloss over them because they don't fit into a "just a run of the mill fairy" template is nothing short of biased and disingenuous, and at worst a disservice to ZUN's work.
>>
>>17345683
Correction: Making her a disguised youkai would contradict her own profile, so that's out if it's assumed her profile is trustworthy.
>>
>>17342264
This thread got autistic real fast.
>>
>>17342321
>>17342348
You can't just post an onahole and call it a fairy.
>>
>>17345683
>If ZUN were planning to do something unusual with Eternity's character, such as turn her into a youkai or even make her a youkai disguised as a fairy, there would be clear evidence he could call back to as foreshadowing
This is the main issue here. As said before, you are working backwards from a conclusion, and now you're just framing that as "if ZUN did have this conclusion then it's ok" which ignores that it's simply bad argumentation. You have piddle for evidence and are grossly neglecting Occam. There shouldn't even need to be "counterarguments" here because your arguments are only wild speculation. "Eliminating contradictions" does not make a good argument.

>fairies are a pretty well-covered topic when it comes to Touhou
Doesn't matter, it's still only based on stuff simply not seen before.
>weird shit happening to fairies in general, meaning all bets are off either way
"I can make up whatever I want because the story allows me to"
>Fairy Wars is a spinoff game where you play as a fairy, battling in what isn't even a real incident
Doesn't matter, your argument was about juxtaposing fodder with boss fairies. You seem to think Cirno is exceptional by being a boss, but her fighting other fairies as bosses is different, except when she's powered up and fighting another fairy, and the fairy she's fighting now is "notably strong" despite also being powered up. Look at this jumping around of standards. I would also argue that Cirno was far more invested in the Fairy War than playing with Eternity, so claiming it's more "serious" would be wrong.
>He could have just as easily put a non-fairy boss in Stage 1 as well
Yes! That is what I'm saying! He could have put anything else in, but he didn't, because he wanted to use a fairy specifically for the purpose of them being a fairy affected by the incident. "Being a fairy" is, exactly, the justification for her existence.
>ZUN could have easily made a much more unassuming fairy than Eternity, but he didn't, and that creates a Chekhov's Gun situation
No it doesn't. You don't get to take whatever detail you like and then say it's a Gun.
>going specifically on that while ignoring everything else is just cherrypicking
No, focusing on these very trivial bits of flavour only meant to prop up your conclusion, while brushing aside that she's a weakling and the reason she even shows up in the game is because she's fired up, is cherry-picking. Look at yourself.
>>
>>17345790
OP wanted it to get autistic, they're clearly the one pushing this.
>>
>>17345832
>As said before, you are working backwards from a conclusion
I'm explicitly not making a conclusion at all, I'm just raising points of interest. Unlike you, I don't have an autistic need to box anything new Eternity brings to the table so it fits your preconceived notion of what her character is, I'm just looking at the possibly outcomes that her known attributes indicate. There is more than one route for her character as it currently is, and claiming anything else is downright retardation.

I'll give you a line by line rebuttal tomorrow, your post isn't worth staying up to address in detail.
>>
>>17345790
>>17345834
This.
This whole thing is a copy of some shit from some other Eternity thread anyway. OP just wanted to reopen that dumb argument that person had that because Eternity has wings designed after a butterfly they're somehow actually "real" bug wings instead of the abstract insectoid wings the other fairies have since ZUN is too lazy to draw veins on them. It's only because ZUN used a specific butterfly as a base that her wings have anything more than flat colors, and even then it's not like it's super anatomically correct. Also that thing on top of her head is not even an antenna.

The original argument also failed to take into account that Eternity is the only fairy representing bugs. Cirno is an ice fairy and her wings are designed to look like ice, Luna's wings are somewhere between a crescent moon and a dragonfly.
>>
>>17345683
>It's firmly-established canon that fairies have the potential to become youkai
Also this is badly translated bullshit. Eiki never said that.
>>
File: 63580418_p0.png (2MB, 1200x849px) Image search: [Google]
63580418_p0.png
2MB, 1200x849px
Etarnity is my wife.
>>
File: 1494220831651.jpg (426KB, 516x729px) Image search: [Google]
1494220831651.jpg
426KB, 516x729px
>>17342348
And like this
>>
>>17345683
>unlike Cirno and Clownpiece, she has no known extraordinary background yet has visibly unique features
cirno didn't have any interesting backgroun in her debut instatement
>>
>>17345832
>This is the main issue here. As said before, you are working backwards from a conclusion
This is false. As my earlier post said, I'm not making any hard conclusion at all. I'm just speculating possibilities.

>and now you're just framing that as "if ZUN did have this conclusion then it's ok"
You're paraphrasing quite poorly. If there are no known plotholes then the outcome is theoretically possible, that's all.

>which ignores that it's simply bad argumentation
Nice unsupported opinion. Based on the content of your post, you can't even accurately define my argumentation to begin with.

>You have piddle for evidence
Nice unsupported opinion again. If it's poor evidence then why have you been incapable of answering it with anything other than conjecture of your own?

>are grossly neglecting Occam
Another opinion. The fact that you can't actually quote something from my posts where Occam's Razor applies suggests that you don't actually understand how to use it in the first place.

>There shouldn't even need to be "counterarguments" here because your arguments are only wild speculation.
If "Eternity looks different from other fairies so she may be different from other fairies" is wild conjecture to you then I have to wonder why you're in an unreleased game theorization thread. I also have to wonder what you consider acceptable speculation.

Oh wait, I know exactly what you consider acceptable speculation. All and only the speculation that you have posted in this thread, including ones that are backed by no direct evidence, such as ""Being a fairy" is, exactly, the justification for her existence".

>"Eliminating contradictions" does not make a good argument.
Not self-contradicting is necessary for a functional argument. Nice unsupported opinion, by the way.

>Doesn't matter, it's still only based on stuff simply not seen before.
It not being seen before implies there's a reason why it hasn't been seen before.

>"I can make up whatever I want because the story allows me to"
Seriously though, who are you quoting? It's like you tried to strawman but forgot the part where you actually argue against the strawman.

>Doesn't matter, your argument was about juxtaposing fodder with boss fairies
Non sequitur. How does context not matter to a discussion of the contextual strength of different characters?

>You seem to think Cirno is exceptional by being a boss, but her fighting other fairies as bosses is different, except when she's powered up and fighting another fairy, and the fairy she's fighting now is "notably strong" despite also being powered up. Look at this jumping around of standards.
If you're claiming that I'm setting a double standard, in other words being self-contradictory, then I suggest you actually line up direct quotes and point out where they contradict. If you're claiming something else then I have no idea, because your grammar here is so terrible that your already bad paraphrasing becomes borderline gibberish.

>Yes! That is what I'm saying! He could have put anything else in, but he didn't
Which implies there is a reason why Eternity in particular was chosen.

>because he wanted to use a fairy specifically for the purpose of them being a fairy affected by the incident.
This is a reasonable conjecture on why there would be a fairy stage 1 boss. It is not an argument against anything else in the thread, because it doesn't address any of the questions about her.

>No it doesn't. You don't get to take whatever detail you like and then say it's a Gun.
Then it's a good thing I didn't just take whatever detail I like. I focus on unanswered questions, which Chekhov's Gun is just a glorified expression for.

>No, focusing on these very trivial bits of flavour only meant to prop up your conclusion
Are you ZUN? On what grounds are you dictating which sentences are ingame are more "trivial" than others?

>while brushing aside that she's a weakling and the reason she even shows up in the game is because she's fired up, is cherry-picking.
Neither of those things contradict anything I've questioned, and you're free to try to demonstrate otherwise. Unlike you I take into account any details available, you arbitrarily disregard canon by calling it "trivial". That is why you are cherrypicking, and I am not.

>Look at yourself.
This statement is more ironic than you think.
>>
>>17345860
>I'll give you a line by line rebuttal tomorrow, your post isn't worth staying up to address in detail.
Please don't bother. You are not just trying to "raise points of interest", you have a pet theory and want to push it while brushing aside detractors. You're covering up your bad argumentation by painting other people as just not being open enough (etc) and you are blind to it; if the roles were reversed I guarantee you would see how dumb this is. Engaging any further than this is pointless.
>>
>>17348752
Oops, you did it already.
>>
>>17346075
You know grade-A post when it opens with going "This" at a couple of one-sentence shitposts.

>OP just wanted to reopen that dumb argument that person had that because Eternity has wings designed after a butterfly they're somehow actually "real" bug wings
Whether the wings are literal butterfly wings mean little to the overall conversation.

>ZUN is too lazy to draw veins on them
Setting aside that this fag is making assumptions about ZUN himself, has any Touhou official artist EVER drawn detailed insect wings on fairies?

>It's only because ZUN used a specific butterfly as a base that her wings have anything more than flat colors
This is pure speculation, and it doesn't address the fact that ZUN had to make the decision to create an exceptional fairy in the process of using a butterfly as a base.

>Also that thing on top of her head is not even an antenna.
Her own profile explicitly uses the word antenna.

>The original argument also failed to take into account that Eternity is the only fairy representing bugs. Cirno is an ice fairy and her wings are designed to look like ice, Luna's wings are somewhere between a crescent moon and a dragonfly.
You seem to have a bad habit of forgetting to connect evidence to your arguments, and connecting your evidence with arguments.

>>17348649
What do you mean "interesting"? She's the first ever fairy boss, and only ever ice fairy. She's also a stage 2 boss when actual youkai have been stage 1 bosses. There is no other fairy like her, making her very much extraordinary. Clownpiece even speculated (more recently) that being the only ice fairy is how she's so powerful.
>>
>>17348752
>Please don't bother.
You think I'm doing this for you?

>you have a pet theory and want to push it while brushing aside detractors. You're covering up your bad argumentation by painting other people as just not being open enough (etc) and you are blind to it
When specifically? You make all these claims yet never back anything up. This is why you get refuted.

>if the roles were reversed I guarantee you would see how dumb this is.
You can't actually guarantee anything though.

>Engaging any further than this is pointless.
This is a discussion thread after all, not a sore loser thread.
>>
>>17348936
>This is a discussion thread after all
haha, no it isn't
>>
>>17348889
Her official profile refers to her as a swallowtail butterfly. How is that speculation?
>>
>>17342264
Is this the new Onahole model?
>>
>>17349227
>It's only because ZUN used a specific butterfly
>only
That's how.
>>
File: sweaty cirno.png (350KB, 602x625px) Image search: [Google]
sweaty cirno.png
350KB, 602x625px
>>17347712
I've never seen a fairy that lewd! Even when fairies get all sweaty and stinky, they always keep their modest clothing on!
>>
File: 1494221405588.png (2MB, 1500x2118px) Image search: [Google]
1494221405588.png
2MB, 1500x2118px
>>17350348
>I've never seen a fairy that lewd!
>>
File: 1494956468943.jpg (142KB, 960x470px) Image search: [Google]
1494956468943.jpg
142KB, 960x470px
>>17351435
Hirasaka is a treasure.
>>
>>17350337
Like I said, her official profile calls her a swallowtail butterfly. That's very specific, so there is no speculation involved.
>>
>>17358453
>her official profile calls her a swallowtail butterfly
Her profile calls her a swallowtail butterfly fairy. Fairy being the key word there. Wriggle is a firefly youkai yet has neither a firefly's wings nor their glowing abdomen.
>>
>>17345683
Nemuno and Aunn aren't that unasssuming. If anything, Nemuno's the most likely culprit to be involved in the actual season fuckery, because she can create "sanctuaries" and Yamanba are apparently open toward working together with other species, meaning potentially someone like Junko. Her profile also makes it a point to state that her history is unknown, so ZUN's free to create new existing relationships for her if he so chooses. Also Aunn has this:
>She found a strange, bottomless spiritual power welling up in her heart, and felt something cold running down her back.
>Though she didn't know where or what it was, she sensed that something deeply important was being deliberately concealed in Gensokyo.
>>
I was expecting cute Eternity thread. What the fuck is this wall of text?
>>
>>17351435
Oi, the police is knocking on my door!!
>>
>>17345189
Tarnished by my dick
>>
>>17358517
Yeah, a fairy with swallowtail butterfly parts. Nothing confusing with that.
>>
>>17364034
>a fairy with swallowtail butterfly parts
Going to need a source on that part.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.