[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i think there should be a stratification among Otakus

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 17

File: OTAKU.jpg (10KB, 287x175px) Image search: [Google]
OTAKU.jpg
10KB, 287x175px
It is really unfair that all otaku people are despised by others because of its general perception. It's all caused by these fatty weebs that always imagining about having intercourse with their imaginery wifus.
I don't want to identify myself as these filthy weebs. there should be really a stratification for segregating normal Otaku people and these freaking weebs
>>
What would be the difference if Otaku people weren't be despised for said reasons for you?
>>
First they came for the love dolls, and I did not speak out -
Because I did not have a love doll.

Then they came for the bodypillows, and I did not speak out -
Because I did not have a bodypillow.

Then they came for my waifu-
And there was no one left to speak out for her.
>>
The less normals among otaku the better
>>
>>17247204
you are in an image board, in the anime section in the most weeb board, you think you are different from them
>>
>>17247216
well for example i don't have to hide that i'm also Otaku, since usually i'm concealing all the time. think about how this world views us, it's quite hostile.
>>17247225
Not necessarily. What i think is that even if we are Otaku, as a part of society, we should participate in some sort of social engagement or something and should be able to function as an individual for sustaining it. what do you think?
>>
>>17247232
I am not saying i'm different from them. I'm saying whatever we do it's totally our option, but at the same time there is a necessity for not causing troubles to others.
>>
File: otaku.jpg (81KB, 590x679px) Image search: [Google]
otaku.jpg
81KB, 590x679px
>>
>>17247241
What is this image supposed to make me feel
>>
>>17247250
despair for being a weeb i guess?
>>
File: 1473958837996.png (1MB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473958837996.png
1MB, 1008x720px
>>17247250
That you're misunderstanding what otaku means. What you think is an otaku is really just a normal person with some nerdy hobbies. Otaku is a derogatory term. Why would you want to identify yourself with a derogatory term?
>>
>>17247289
nah man it actually refers 'someone who is deeply into something'
and the word used to be refered for calling experts in several areas
and now thanks to bunch of weebs and fatty nerds in Japan the word became a derogatory term for calling those faggots
just like the word 'gay'
>>
>>17247289
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/31429/meaning/m0u/%E3%82%AA%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AF/

Point where the misunderstanding comes from please
>>
>>17247310
>そのほかの知識や社会性に欠ける人物をいうことが多い。
So are you arguing the meaning should be reverted to its original "you" meaning? Because the word was being used as a derogatory term as early as the 1970s.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AA%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AF#.E3.81.8A.E3.81.9F.E3.81.8F.2F.E3.82.AA.E3.82.BF.E3.82.AF.E3.81.AE.E5.A4.89.E9.81.B7
>>
>>17247236
>a part of society, we should participate in some sort of social engagement
why would anybody want to do that?
>>
>>17247236
You can participate as an individual in society if that's the kind of thing you're into, without revealing your interests to all and sundry.
>>
A lot of the time I have more respect for Gaia level otaku than modern /a/ tryhards. The problem with ``normal otaku people'' is the lack of SINCERITY and GENUINENESS. Instead of every liking something, they can only pretend to ``ironically'' like it, because that's what all the kool kidz are doing. I would rather be seen as a pathetic person who has an HONEST interest in my hobbies than some generic person who cannot be honest with his own opinions because he needs to fit in.
>>
>>17247289
>that Mikimoto image of Noriko
Every time. The dude has great taste.
>>
>>17247393
>modern /a/ tryhards
care to explain
>>
>>17247393
Better kill yourself if your hobby is making imaginary wifu and keep sticking to those delusions, and ending up screwing your life and ashaming your acquaintances
>>
File: 1360712360571.png (379KB, 1213x320px) Image search: [Google]
1360712360571.png
379KB, 1213x320px
>>
>>17247236
>we should participate in some sort of social engagement or something and should be able to function as an individual for sustaining it. what do you think?
I think that's shit.
>>
>>17247479
Those people are 80% of 4chan now. Sigh.
>>
>>17247469
If anyone thinks my actions in some way are part of their own reputation they can fuck off. What I do is what I do, if you think it's disgusting then don't associate yourself with me.
>>
>>17247378
And theres nothing wrong with that. Otaku hobbies are by definition private hobbies. In Japanese society, theres sayings such as "the nail sticking out will be hammered down" but it's not that people don't have individual interests. People in general don't flaunt it around and make it a part of their outward identity like they do in the states. Why should otakus be any different?
>>
>>17247525
Why shouldn't they though?
>>
>>17247393

DING-DING-DING!
>>
>>17248693
Are my hotpockets done?
>>
>>17247463
See >>17247393
>Instead of every liking something, they can only pretend to ``ironically'' like it, because that's what all the kool kidz are doing

Actual otaku would enjoy whatever media they consume just because they like it. Of course not like a sheep, they'd have criticisms, but they'd watch it with sincerity because they want to and enjoy doing so. /a/ people only watch what's acclaimed, the flavour of the season or who they can post about with their friends on Steam or discord, with no regard for directors, or the craft behind anime. None have real passion for the hobby, they just do it for social reasons.

I'm not saying we, or I, am more of a "real otaku" or anime enthusiast than the next person, but I can't take anyone seriously when their viewing history only consists of Cowboy Bebop, EVA and other big american hits, they drop more anime than they actually finish because their time is so "precious" and taste so refined, and when they only ever want to post about trainwrecks or the big hit that everyone else is watching.

I think the biggest issue is that they only want to watch what everyone else is watching for the sake of joining in on something. They don't watch anime for themselves, they watch it for the sake of collection screenshot reaction pics, seasonal waifus they "ironically"like, and just to post on 4chan or facebook or wherever.
It's why I stopped discussing anime on the internet years ago, because that's when this trend of half-hearted anime watching really started. I've been watching 30 shows a season plus my backlog for years now, and I've never even spoken to someone about 3/4ths of them. I watched them because I have an interest in the hobby, and I want to. Maybe I'll talk to the one or two IRL friends I have about a show or two. But that's it. I don't care about joining in on the fun, I just like anime and want to explore what these people have made.
I think that's where the difference lies between "real otaku", someone with a genuine interest and sincere appreciation for their hobby, faults and all, and the modern /a/ tryhards who only do things ironically for memes you see on Western internet at large these days. I'm not saying it's wrong to want to use something as a way to make friends or belong to a community of people with similar personalities. Just that I don't think I'd want to associate with you if you feel like you "should" watch anime just to join in on a trend. If you want to talk to me about le best girl or complain about how "this season is shit" or just watch anime together - no thanks. I'd do anything else with you, but anime is my hobby that I take seriously and I don't want to engage in it with someone who doesn't really care for it.
I might sound pathetic, but that's just how I feel about this.
>>
>>17249043
>I might sound pathetic, but that's just how I feel about this.
You do.
>>
>>17247204
>It's all caused by these fatty weebs that always imagining about having intercourse with their imaginery wifus.
I could have gotten behind scums wish if it was about this.
>>
>>17249043
>If you want to talk to me about le best girl
this is why i stopped going to /a/, everything is about waifu wars especially now that there so much anime about cute girls doing something that became the anime of the season by default
>>
>>17247368
That's not what I wanted you to review, but congratulations in showing you don't know how to read.
>>
>>17247525
>"the nail sticking out will be hammered down"
you are applying this saying erroneously. Japan is not only ONE WAY, there are many facets of Japanese daily life, culture, and Otaku culture is a part of it. Yes even in public.
>>
>>17247204
When did weeaboo seperate from wapanese and start meaning "annoying anime fan" instead of describing people who idolize Japan and want to go there and believe they were japanese in a past life or can become a ninja and visit geisha and stuff like that?
>>
>>17247393
I agree. It's about people who are not able to say that they love something, as that is what defines a true Otaku, that they love their hobby, that they are passionate about it. huge chunk of Western anime watchers are normies because their cynicism keeps them from loving their hobby, anime, in this case. At least, they do not express their love, not even anonymously on the net. Instead, whenever they DO have to say something, they shit on one or another anime. That is not being a fan. That is not being an Otaku. That is being a hater.
>>
I honestly rather the old stereotype of some lanky guy and the kind of people you see in the old 4chan panels.
>>
>>17251233
When it got co-opted by twitch, youtube and facebook kids.
>>
>>17251083
I can read just fine. Did you read the wiki article I linked?
>>
>>17251865
Can someone explain to me what twitch actually is? I don't seem to understand no matter how much I read about it. I'm sorry for being retarded but I want to understand.
>>
>>17254264
Totally of topic, here we go: it's a live streaming platform to stream games, primarily. It also has a live chat where questionable memes are born, or being recycled to death. It is overall quite big and attracts plenty of streamers in an attempt to make a living by playing video games.
>>
>>17254496
I see. Thank you.
So what's the issue with it? Is it just a large source of shitposters and low-quality users like how facebook and those meme database sites were? It seems like it would only be a problem in places like /v/ but I see a lot of complaining about it on /jp/.
>>
>>17249043
>>17251034
Agreed

There is absolutely zero quality discussion on /a/. It has become one of the worst boards. The moderation is awful as well.
>>
>>17249043
Thank you for this post anon, truly

I struggle to explain to my friends why I say I like anime and watch what I watch but why I don't want to watch what they're watching, why I don't like making my way through whatever they've picked for the season like I used to, why I'd much rather use my precious little spare time re-watching something like Shoujou Tsubakai or Armitage than sit through another 15 hours of filler so I have something to chat about with them
>>
>>17254519
Yeah, pretty much. It's a powerful meme foundry, but it produces a lot of stuff that's not received well on 4chan due to the difference in userbases.
Even though it's mostly specific to video games, an interest in anime etc.. correlates with an interest in gaming (not to mention stuff like VN livestreams), so it turns out that normalfags who to to 4chan are likely to carry over Twitch memes.
>>
File: 1433117245777.png (129KB, 314x278px) Image search: [Google]
1433117245777.png
129KB, 314x278px
>>17258265
>stuff like VN livestreams
What? If I post videos of myself reading a picture book slideshow people will actually spend their time giving me attention?
>>
>>17258332
The typical livestream setup shows the game, but also features the streamer's face and spoken comments, along with various data updated automatically in real time.
People watching the stream listen to the commentary, while also chatting with each other and with the streamer.
People who keep watching particular streams usually do it because the streamer is funny and attracts a fun crowd.
>>
>>17258378
I guess I wouldn't be cut out for it then since I'm not funny and bad at talking. That's disappointing. It kind of makes me feel bad that gregarious and charismatic people like that would be spoiling VNs for people who haven't read them and bringing normalfags here who don't really care about such things. Not that I can do anything about it.
>>
お宅
Everything is in the word.
It's not a fashionable thing. It's not some FOTM trend. It's a simple denomination. There are no "slightly otaku", "I'm kinda otaku".
An otaku is the equivalent of the basement-dweller, those that don't go away from their parents' home and keep on leeching on their parents' money. There's no middle ground.
>>
>>17258560
Well, that's what I am, so it fits perfectly.
>>
>>17258560
Yeah, no. Do your reps. Otaku is just a second person pronoun used when talking with an interlocutor in polite speech, it has nothing to do with being at home all the time

The best implication that you can make from it is that originally otakus didn't have strong social interactions with each other outside of trading info and materal related to their hobbies, so they avoided getting too intimate in their dialogue.
>>
>>17259134
>The best implication that you can make from it is that originally otakus didn't have strong social interactions with each other outside of trading info and materal related to their hobbies, so they avoided getting too intimate in their dialogue.
In that new show, Kaiju Club, about otaku in the 70s discussing Ultraman, they do exactly this.
>>
>>17258560
Somehow, I refuse to believe Otaku were always complete shut in's. Especially when the internet was still in it's infancy.
>>
>>17259744
>I refuse to believe Otaku were always complete shut in's.

And as far as I know, you are are right about that. In the documentaries Akihabara Geeks and Japanology Plus - Akihabara, the history and definitions of Otaku are well explained and portrayed.
>>
>>17249043
>I'm not saying we, or I, am more of a "real otaku" or anime enthusiast than the next person, but I can't take anyone seriously when their viewing history only consists of Cowboy Bebop, EVA and other big american hits, they drop more anime than they actually finish because their time is so "precious" and taste so refined, and when they only ever want to post about trainwrecks or the big hit that everyone else is watching.
I'm on an anime forum filled with these cunts. They alone make discussion about anime a waste of time. And fuck me, I've seen almost 900.
>>
>>17247204
Regardless of what stratum of Otaku you hail from, you should want to have want to have sex with your Waifu. Also she's only imaginary if you believe she is.
>>
>>17264100
I have no waifu and have no interest in sexual intercourse.
>>
>>17264127
So you're an herbivore male? Do you still have a sex drive or are you uninterested in any form of orgasmic pleasure whatsoever?
>>
>>17249043
Totally agree with your critique of /a/. It seems like most people on /a/ don't really watch anime for any reasons aside from cute girls and discussion. They always shit on shows that are objectively good like NGE and Bebop and praise shows like Eromanga, though part of me likes to believe that there's some elaborate meme that oldfags on /a/ aren't letting us in on and the newfags are just going with the flow to fit in.
>>
>>17264307
>praise shows like Eromanga
Eromanga had nice character development and themes of perseverance, hard work, and dedication though.

But I agree, they like shows for the wrong reasons, and sometimes they even like the wrong shows for the wrong reasons. I think it can put a lot of people off when they go on about a waifu or whatever cute girl of the season in a show, despite the fact that the show has a lot of depth or value to it they don't discuss. Then it results in people missing out on shows that they might actually enjoy.
But I wouldn't know, I don't browse or do any sort of anime discussion.

And Cowboy Bebop isn't objectively good, kid, don't kid yourself with the nostalgia.
>>
>>17247225
>>17247393

This. It was perfectly fine when otaku or weeb had a more negative connotations. Now you get faggots like OP who wants to sanitize the culture when it's clear as day they don't fucking fit in.
Besides, the modern normalfag could care less how much of an otaku or weeb you think you are. It's all the same shit to them. You get called a weeb simply because you watched that old ass DBZ shit that everyone watched as a kid for fucks sake. The threshold is long gone.

If getting compared to a fat sweaty otaku is too much for you OP then it's time to get real and find another hobby. Please don't ruin what little these fat sweaty hogs have by bringing in your stupid normalfag agenda.
>>
File: 1494306923516.jpg (534KB, 700x982px) Image search: [Google]
1494306923516.jpg
534KB, 700x982px
>>17247204
>normal Otaku people
Oi fook u on about m80? >:(
>>
>>17264307
>They always shit on shows that are objectively good like NGE and Bebop and praise shows like Eromanga
I think his point went right over your head, pal. Also, that sort of mentality is what it's crippling the entire board when it comes to actual discussion of anime no matter what type of show it might be.
>>
>>17264488
I probably shouldn't have said "objectively". A show with zero merit doesn't exist just as a show with zero fault doesn't exist. I at least understand that much. Some shows have nothing left to discuss like my example of NGE. Of course subjective preference weighs into it. It's possible to hate a show that's regarded as a masterpiece but /a/ has taken contrarianism to a whole new level. Liking good shows solely because they're popular is a form of contrarianism itself so in the end there are contrarians on both sides.
>>
>>17264335
Bebop can get pretty esoteric so I see why not liking it based on that is pretty reasonable but my problem is with those who dislike classics because they are classics and hop on shows like eromanga because liking what's mainstream in anime is now contrarian. There are legitimate reasons to dislike bebop and like eromanga but most people on /a/ just base their opinions on what would be most contrarian and that act alone betrays the definition of contrarianism.
>>
File: 147459967394.png (2MB, 1291x1078px) Image search: [Google]
147459967394.png
2MB, 1291x1078px
There's nothing wrong with those over-the-top otaku. Look at Jard-kun, he's an ugly autistic weeb but his stuff is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7aJHYePJ4&index=1&list=PLqAuxZYoYr5-t2Ma3nTMx5-4auEM3_4vy&t=1s
>>
>>17247204
I don't understand why people want social recognition for their hobby.
If you want a respected hobby than just play music, draw or read.
Otaku or nerd hobbies were never accepted by wider society.

Social recognition comes with limitations and presure on the medium to remain acceptable.
Anime wouldn't be anime anymore if it would become mainstream.
>>
>>17264127
I really wish there were more people like you
>>
Just like the things that you like and don't worry about labels. What random people on the internet thinks about you is meaningless.
>>
Oh stop. You're exaggerating. Nobody hates otaku. Nobody cares. Who cares what normies think anyway. Just enjoy your obscure hobby and leave it at that.
>>
File: 2s.png (16KB, 692x775px) Image search: [Google]
2s.png
16KB, 692x775px
It's been said, but if you worry about labels you're likely part of the problem
>>
>>17273526
>I don't understand why people want social recognition for their hobby.
It's not about recognition, it's about being able to have a hobby without becoming everyone's laughing stock in case someone finds out about it.
>>
>>17274510
Basically people with thin skin not being able to ignore small amounts of criticism or even being able to laugh off jokes in social circles. Most people legitimately don't care about what you do so as long as you don't force it on them.
>>
File: ss.jpg (207KB, 865x1318px) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
207KB, 865x1318px
Did everyone suddenly forget about Haruhi or is it some kind of inside joke I'm missing out on?
It was every weeaboo's favorite anime until 2 years ago or so
sage for slightly off-topic
>>
>>17258332
only if youre a girl.
and if youre one you can also get paid doing it too.
>>
>>17274510
So they want all the benefits without the negative consequencies?
>>
>>17287055
Haruhi hasn't been relevant since the movie came out.
>>
File: 1493675381541.jpg (70KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493675381541.jpg
70KB, 720x720px
>>17247241
Gun Sazawa is a tight name
>>
>>17247232
We are not in anime section though. We are in "Japanese Culture" section. I'm here for idols not for anime.
>>
>>17247232
>that shitty logic
>>
>>17289641
who wrote that?
>>
>>17289597
>Japanese Culture
Otaku Culture, fgt.
>>
>>17247241
>No romance, please.
>My girl friends in 2D.

Based as fuck.
>>
>>17249043
Good post.

>>17258415
Most of the popular streamers that have consistent 100 plus viewers are either pandering to their audience a la a talk show host, with different appeals for male and female streamers, entertaining somehow, or skilled at the game if they're streaming a competitive game (FPS, ARTS, Speedrunning etc). I doubt many people would watch a livestream of a visual novel anyway unless it was streamed by a girl who was talking with her audience more than paying attention to the game or streamed by a 'big name'.

>>17273468
Several months ago I found a youtube channel of a person who happened to live about 20 minutes drive from me. He exhibited this type of obsessive, hardcore collecting and vlogging behavior, but he was maybe 35 or 40 years old. I tend to find that people who are 30 or older tend to be more genuine in the sense described above.
>>
>>17289967
/jp board is "Otaku Culture" and is part of "Japanese Culture" section. Go visit the homepage, before throwing insults.
>>
>>17290965
But /a/ is in the Japanese Culture section too
>>
>>17291036
And? Just because /a is also in "Japanese Culture" section does not make it "Anime section". If we were in in "shape" section, in "circle" board, and "shape" section contained also "square" board, would you say we are in "square" section?
>>
>>17254519
Lots of normalfags use Twitch to milk idiots for money by being loud, obnoxious le funny guys or cute gamer grills; their streams are less about games than they are about that person's personality and them exploiting themselves and their viewers for cash. Twitch is a platform for people who do not care about games to further degrade and casualize the hobby.
>>
File: 1493240362156.jpg (14KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
1493240362156.jpg
14KB, 300x256px
>>17261864
>Akihabara Geeks
I just started watching it because you mentioned it

I'm only 4 minutes and 54 seconds in and I already hate it. Seriously, what the fuck? Extremely disrespectful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBVzmQlc_nY
>>
>>17247220
So deep...
>>
>>17247204
>Be me
>Work out
>Eat clean, all natty diet
>Make money
>KHV
>Fluent in Japanese
>Watch anime obsessively

Rate me bois.
>>
This is a great thread, actually
I guess in my country I'm the only real otaku- not that I'm better than the others, but everyone just consumes what is trendy, as >>17249043 said. It's hard to find anyone who exchange a Friday Night to see some underground anime or play Touhou.
It's kinda of alone.
>>
>>17291319
Kinda of lonely*
Fixed
>>
>>17258058
To be fair, /jp/ isn't any better. It's just generals and 2hu shitposting.
>>
>>17247204
If you aren't disgusting and despised by others you aren't truota. A "normie" ota is an oxymoron. Also, people who think they're "better than THOSE weebs" are disingenuous scumbags. If you have time to waste worrying about your image, that's time you could be using to watch anime and jerk off to loli.
>>
>>17247393
I feel you, man. I cannot fucking stand this current trend of "cool," "fashionable," "hip" "otacool" shitters who wear omocat shirts, have a preoccupation with "patrician taste" and shitpost IRL by constantly reminding themselves and others about how they "aren't like those other weebs lmao." People who care more about how liking a certain thing might make them look rather than simply liking a certain thing. And when they like a thing that isn't considered "safe" they hide behind an ironic appreciation and rely on tired memes to deflect any potential criticism. It's pathetic.
>>
>>17291282
Decent setup you got there
You should go to see those cuddle whores or something
>>
>>17287055
It was a different generation

Black Cat or Black Butler, I think it was called, and Hetalia used to be all the rage but now, we're past that aren't we?

At one point, "Sk8tr Boy" used to be the most viewed video on YouTube. Then it was "Baby". Then it was "Gagnam Style".
>>
>>17274247
I don't understand this chart
>>
File: screencap.png (99KB, 1875x618px) Image search: [Google]
screencap.png
99KB, 1875x618px
>>17292123
I always hope that people who praise or refer others to Omocat get hit by a bus.
>>
File: 1484800687462.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
1484800687462.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>17273579
That's the issue. It's not really obscure anymore.
>>
>>17296297
When the face of a hobby is a disgusting otaku, it drives normal people away. When the face of a hobby is a socially conscious, trendy, ironic "weeb", they are able and willing to access and damage or destroy the hobby.
>>
>>17296305
Fuckwits like >>12582328 trigger me big time
>>
>>17296309
Ah, i see, it's a face. Thanks that clears it up
>>
>>17249043
Why don't you already own and moderate this site, anon?

Regardless, good post
>>
>>17273468
He's not ugly. He looks like Moot in the pic related. He's just thin and autistic sounding
>>
>>17247289
what's this from
>>
>>17247289
>>17247241
Fucking this, I never bought into the "I'm an otaku" meme since day fucking 1 because it even sounds like a derogatory or rude word. just be cool about it, why do you even need a label?
>>
>>17298655
otaku no video
>>
>>17247289
I've always written off anyone that unironically referred to themselves as an otaku as a complete faggot.
>>
>>17299871
/jp/ - otaku culture
>>
/jp/ is Japan/General.
>>
File: 1496723660650.png (460KB, 979x735px) Image search: [Google]
1496723660650.png
460KB, 979x735px
>>17299999
>*whistles*
I'm down with that
I'm not a regular here, but I'm sick of all the waifu threads; this place looks exactly like /vp/ sometimes in that regard
I've popped in occasionally and seen more varied, interesting content like discussions on Japanese school uniforms and SJIS threads, and the images of Japan threads which used to get deleted, and I'd like to see more of that.
>>
>>17247289
I remember thinking that that guy may have been genuinely autistic when I first watched OnV
>>
>>17301036
That's actually Anno.
>>
>>17301055
So that was just Anno acting in a manor that he thought reflected the archetypal Otaku? He truly is worthy of the title "master".
>>
>>17301071
All the otaku in that "documentary" are actually gainax staff
>>
Whether or not "otaku" is a label to be self-adopted has long been a contentious issue. In general, I think the older generations shy away from the term and will outright deny otaku status despite being an ota for all intents and purposes. Niwaka-ota and those who are younger and got into it after "akiba-kei" became more fashionable/socially acceptable following Shibuya-fashion appropriation and Densha Otoko and such probably don't feel the stigma as much because they likely haven't experienced that history of stigma. That said, to this day, otaku are still scapegoated and blamed for things like random violence and bomb threats and such and while it's more acceptable than before (i.e. pedophile serial killer cult member status), I think it's clear that people still look down on them.

The question then is why would you want to adopt that label (and in turn, the history of it) to yourself, especially if most of us here are completely removed from its sociocultural contexts to begin with? No dyed-in-the-wool maniac fan I've ever come across has made the conscious effort to refer to themselves or signal that they are "otaku"; it reflects in their manner and behavior. On the flipside, people who got into it next week are very quick to jump on the bandwagon--very vocal about being "otaku" and liking "hentai" (XD) and having a "waifu" and other such nonsense, but haven't seen something basic like Eva. The label doesn't bother me as much as the reasons for its adoption. If it's for solidarity reasons, I completely agree. If it's blindly following the current marketing trend of plundering subculture and commodifying identities, yall can fuck right out.

For me, personally, "otaku" is not something you label yourself. It's something for other people to decide. A kind of social caste you end up in because you have been unable to fit in anywhere else. Verbalizing it is meaningless. People in the thick of it probably know their status intrinsically but don't care, because why would they? What good does such a label grant you? People who do care about such trivial things, and worse, seek to adopt it for the sake of image, don't know shit about it. They're tourists who don't understand that the alienation inherent in the label is not something you choose for yourself. It's a box society shoves you in when you're deemed no good. To be able to gut the meaning out of that and wear its remains as fashion is a rather despicable kind of privilege.

>>17301300
>>17301071
>>17301055
>>17301036
OnV is overall a facetious little mockumentary. Only one guy in there might be actually serious (the gaijin who's in love with Lum). Everyone else is staff playing up the stereotype and having a bit of fun. I know Otaking himself tried his best to turn the "otaku" label into something positive with the "Otaku University" project, but in the end the stigma still remained.
>>
>>17264623
What world are you living in that Bebop is an esoteric anime?
>>
File: 1473726829792.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1473726829792.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
Good opinions in this thread
>>
>>17291140
>Extremely disrespectful.
Being an otaku is not cool and it's not something to be happy about, except in the company of other disgusting, worthless, depraved otaku.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (86KB, 269x286px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
86KB, 269x286px
>>17314781
So that suddenly gives people free reign to be rude and subtly bully otaku, especially when the normalfags are the one who approached them in the first place?
>>
>>17314802
Yeah. it was his fault anyways. He made two huge mistakes. One was to even care about 3D women at all enough to be bothered by some cunt asking if he had a girlfriend. The other was allowing her into his home in the first place.

Otaku only exist in the context of normalfaggotry. They are discrete because they are different. They aren't going to take responsibility for much in their lives, but if nothing else it's imperative that they take responsibility for inoculating themselves against the pressures of normalfags and do not allow them to intrude in their lives at all. He brought it upon himself.

Of course, that doesn't make the cunt any less of a cunt for deliberately trying to get a rise out of him. But he should have expected that sort of thing and prepared for it.
>>
>>17264100
>you should want to have want to have sex with your Waifu
Nah man, fuck you.
Your waifu is not a fucking bag of meat.
Waifu is not for sexual.
Go fuck yourself, human garbage.
>>
>>17315914
your waifu's thirsty, anon, and im gonna steal her away if you dont fuck her
>>
>>17315914
Not for sexual but wanting sex in the missionary position for sole purpose of creating a happy family with your waifu is fine
>>
>>17282542
>small amounts of criticism
>jokes in social circles
I'm not talking about this kind of lukewarm reactions.
>>17288204
There are plenty of hobbies that have no negative consequences, why should otaku ones be any different?
>>
>>17249043

Great post anon, the worst part is there don't seem to be any online communities made up of actual anime otaku any more, at least not on the western internet. Honestly I personally love talking about anime with others so I miss having some place to talk about it. I still watch it though because I love the medium.
>>
>>17264100
>>17315914
2D wives are not physical so having sex with them isn't possible (yet). Eromanga/doujinshi tend to mischaracterize them or put them in degrading situations so that's NG for me. The last thing I want is to read some other guy's jerk-off fantasy involving my wife.

I jerk off to satisfy my "sexual" needs. My wife fulfills my need for emotional intimacy. I cuddle my wife and talk to her and make her real. Sometimes it gets "physical" but its completely different dimension of engagement. The closest thing I can use to describe it is that it's "spiritual." It's a connection of heart rather than body.
>>
>>17249043
>they only want to watch what everyone else is watching for the sake of joining in on something.
Agreed. "Social" anime viewing is awful as it's just a shallow kind of bandwagoning to be able to join in on the hip, current memes, shit-flinging and mindless babble that passes for "discussion." A few months pass and it's forgotten and then rinse-repeat forever. It's a little alienating when everyone else is talking about whatever current thing is going on and I have no clue, but it's not like I want to join in on that anyway.

It's frustrating because I really DO want to talk to someone about these things that I love so dearly, but it's hard to find someone who's on that same wavelength with you both online and offline. To be completely honest, the only people I've been able to really talk to in-depth about anime have been random people at anime conventions, waiting in line for an autograph for a key animator or something. These fans really do exist out there, it's just that it's hard to meet and get in touch and that these interactions are fleeting. I hope that the increasing popularity of sakuga and analysis blogs and stuff will eventually create more spaces where you can have real, constructive, discussions about this.

>I might sound pathetic, but that's just how I feel about this.
There's nothing pathetic about it. The more you love something, the harder it becomes to relate to people about it to a satisfying degree. I would watch anime with you, anon.
>>
>>17318364
I'm a rotten person, I don't mind sharing my wife with a pack of niggers.
>>
>>17316929
That's even worse, it's treating your waifu like livestock.

You should want to have sex with your waifu because it's the ultimate expression of love and intimacy.
>>
>>17318835
>implying wanting to start a family isn't the ultimate expression of love
>>
>>17318835
Please go back to /a/.

>>17318852
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>17319095
>Who are you quoting?
lurk moar
>>
>>17319581
Who is "lurk moar?"
>>
File: 1477381586410.jpg (61KB, 404x345px) Image search: [Google]
1477381586410.jpg
61KB, 404x345px
>>17319621
mah nigga
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.