[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever thought about making your own visual novel?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: 1490127389076.jpg (345KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490127389076.jpg
345KB, 1000x500px
Ever thought about making your own visual novel?
>>
I'm not Japanese, why would I?
>>
I have no talent and nothing to say, and I wouldn't be able to enjoy my own work, so no.

Unless it turns out there's an untapped market waiting for a kusoge about a dysfunctional NEET waiting for death while failing to learn a language and playing eroge all day and the income could postpone my trip to Gensokyo for a while. But the shame of creating an OEL VN might kill me faster than running out of money.
>>
Me on the left
>>
I would, but i only have coding skills, but not art or story making
>>
I consider it sometimes and have outlines for three, but like my comic ideas, I'm only good at outlines, backstory, and world building instead of being able to actually write any of the real meat of the story. Even if I made it concise and like an hour long, I probably still wouldn't be able to come up with enough filler. I've considered making something more like a choose your own adventure type thing recently.

I'm also not especially that good at character design. My characters would either be about as distinct as the ones in the op or look like some 90s style fantasy VN/JRPG type character.

>>17066084
>But the shame of creating an OEL VN
There's nothing shameful about writing a storybook game. Only in setting it in Japan and attempting to emulate Japanese ways.
>>
File: 1480875730395.png (117KB, 482x280px) Image search: [Google]
1480875730395.png
117KB, 482x280px
I'm writing one. I might even release it in 2019.
As for the drawing, I suck but maybe if I draw like crazy between I'm writing it, I could get better.
>>
>>17066060
I'd adopt every single one of these cute little girls except for the one on the left because she stinks.
>>
>>17066060
me in the green dress
>>
We did that actually: http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/
>>
>>17066060
I can't draw for shit. Even ZUNart is much better than anything I can draw.
>>
>>17068079
I mean a high quality, commercial one that you sell
>>
>>17066530
Me holding onto you.
>>
>>17066238
I'm not interested in playing a visual novel set in American high schools or high fantasylands though...
>>
I wanted to make a game like monster hunter but I honestly don't know how to make one.
>>
>>17066060
Me on the far right.
>>
>>17068893
>or high fantasylands
Whenever a Japanese VN is in a fantasy world, it's a European fantasy world. What's the difference?

>I'm not interested in playing a visual novel set in high school
I fixed your other thought for you.
>>
>>17066060
Me fourth from the right
>>
>>17069153
Japanese VNs set in high fantasy settings aren't my thing either
>>
>>17069153
Or Sengoku or Romance of the Three Kingdoms. There's a few set in Arabia but they are almost always Otome games for some reason.
>>
>>17069153
>Whenever a Japanese VN is in a fantasy world, it's a European fantasy world. What's the difference?

That's not even true.
>>
>>17069205
>Or Sengoku or Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Those are historical settings not fantasy ones. Though I guess there are ones that have elves and shit in them.
>>
>>17068353
KS isn't very good but much, much worse trash is routinely sold and sometimes even financially successful.
>>
Nope, I'm not very fond of visual novels. But I'm trying to make a game.

>>17066105
Me next to you.
>>
All the time
>>
File: explorer_2017-05-24_22-42-24.png (929B, 83x96px) Image search: [Google]
explorer_2017-05-24_22-42-24.png
929B, 83x96px
Furthest I've gone is writing some partial touhou fapfics.
>>
>>17066079
What's the western equivalent of VNs? Myst clones?
>>
>>17081497
>western equivalent of VNs?
VNs with deviantart-tier graphics and shit story
>>
>>17081898
but japanese VNs are like that too
>>
>>17081497
I'd go with "walking simulators". I don't know if you consider those the same as Myst clones.
>>
>>17081977
>I'd go with "walking simulators"
But Yume Nikki and its spawn are Japanese
>>
>>17082066
I was thinking more along the lines of Stanley Parable, the one I can't remember where you just climb a hill while listening to some guy talk about his wife, or Gone Home. Maybe I've got the terminology wrong, but I'm not thinking of Yume Nikki in that category.
>>
>>17082173
Walking simulator is just a derogatory term towards YN style games.

I didn't know there were other games besides that Stanley one. I don't think it has the puzzle solving elements of Myst or the same kind of idea behind a VN though. Although, you reminded me of people calling all those action games with a lot of story choices like the Mass Effect series VN like.
>>
>>17083569
There are plenty of games like it - Stanley Parable is just one of the best known, because of its amusing style. Wikipedia links "Walking_Simulator" to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game#Exploration_games , which has a list of examples (Dear Esther was the one I was thinking of earlier). I guess I've always thought of the term as referring to western games, but if not, maybe "western walking simulators" would be a good parallel.
>>
>>17066060
I have, but I can't do art or music which are important parts. More importantly, I can't write in Japanese, so I'd have to release in the OELVN space. And that's the not space I'd want to release in.
>>
>>17085705
Just put it on steam. People who play it wouldn't be able to tell if it were a translation or not.
>>
File: srsexpln.png (603KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
srsexpln.png
603KB, 800x600px
>>17066060
>Ever thought about making your own visual novel?
Didn't someone from /jp/ already do this?
>>
>>17086842
Thing is I'd want to make something I'd personally enjoy and I know I probably would never read a random no-name VN on Steam.
>>
>>17086852
What does whether you'd read something after judging it by its cover have to do with whether you'd enjoy it or not?
>>
>>17086866
I mean I'd be reaching an audience I wouldn't want to reach
>>
>>17086880
So? That's what VNs from Japan do. They aren't made for non-Japanese. If you do good enough, some Japanese will pirate and translate your game and it'll reach them.
>>
>>17086963
>some Japanese will pirate and translate your game
Has this ever happened with an OELVN?

Honestly I don't think the Japanese read any western VNs at all.
>>
>>17086968
They read KS
>>
no because i'm not a fuckin nerd
>>
Sure, here it is if anyone wants to read it.

There are no sprites. I have some music but most of it is subpar so I haven't implemented any of it.

https://mega.nz/#!lwswFZIa!XkpY1Ux89v3zL3ARMd-dJag5gtQrdb9A4nC9T7hx-Dc
>>
I did twice. Sold another too. Dropped a third and we disbanded. There's a small chance someone here knows who we were.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.