[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Touhou Question Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: Question?.jpg (386KB, 752x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Question?.jpg
386KB, 752x1039px
The last we had went pretty well, so let have another.

How difficult is it for humans to perform danmaku battles? We only know of 3 that can do it so far, Reimu, Marisa, and Sakuya,(and technically Sanae,but she also a God) but is it really that hard? What would the requirement be: flight and someway to perform Spellcards, so if someone could let say shoot bullets and fly could that partake in these fights?
>>
File: 1485909321986.png (751KB, 565x510px) Image search: [Google]
1485909321986.png
751KB, 565x510px
I think I know where you're going with this.
>>
>>16963586
>How difficult is it for humans to perform danmaku battles?

It's just throwing shit at each other and dodging it. It doesn't have to be magic. Sakuya uses kitchen knives, for instance. You can just throw rice or spitballs or something. I doubt flying is a requirement, just makes it easier.
>>
File: 1440681060230.jpg (32KB, 360x345px) Image search: [Google]
1440681060230.jpg
32KB, 360x345px
>>16963586
>How difficult is it for humans to perform danmaku battles?

Wait, let me go to the human village and get a sample of answers.
I'll tell you tomorrow though because before I promised to go to the Moriya shrine with the moustached druggie.
>>
>>16963586
If you're counting PC-98, Chiyuri and Yumemi were both able to use technology for danmaku, so most people would probably be able to use that if they had access to it.
>>
>>16963632
Then, when people get attack by the Youkai, why don't they declare a Danmaku battle. It prevents the needless murder, even if they do lose.

Basically why aren't there more humans practicing up on Danmaku battle, because if they git gud, they can fend off certain Youkai attacks, or challenge each other.
>>
File: 1476032859845.jpg (17KB, 272x153px) Image search: [Google]
1476032859845.jpg
17KB, 272x153px
>>16964284
That's a really Dark Souls way of putting it. I like it.
>>
File: 1482385206440.jpg (1MB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1482385206440.jpg
1MB, 900x1200px
>>16963586
Are strike witches good at spellcard battles?
>>
>>16964284
Youkai aren't allowed to kill humans in gensokyo.
>>
A human simply has to be powerful enough to defend themselves from youkai to participate in Spell Card Battles
But if you've ever actually noticed, you can pretty much make ANYTHING danmaku if you can make it look visually appealing.
Sakuya uses knives,
Alice uses dolls loaded with gunpowder
Hell one of Sumireko's spells is just throwing junk
Seiga uses Yoshika and may or may not be using fetuses depending on what you believe of that spellcard
Ichirin uses Unzan himself as danmaku (really the funniest example here)
Kanako uses those huge as hell onbashira
Nitori uses water and those smelly shirikodama
and many more examples.
So there's no sort of limit on what you can use as danmaku, you just need to make your spells look pretty, or flashy in Marisa's case.

Now, if we're talking about who has the most visually appealling spells throughout Touhou, I'd have to give that medal to Yukari, geez she was practically just showing off in ISC.
>>
>>16964534
I thought outsiders were free game.
>>
>>16964630
I think the rule is "anyone in the human village is protected". That means if an outsider makes it to the human village in time, they'll be protected, but if any human wanders outside of the human village, they're fair game.
>>
>>16964824
This is true, but you also have to consider that despite the understanding within the village that it can be dangerous to stray too far outside the village, many characters familiar with what it's like outside the village are not particularly afraid of traveling even if they have no ability to fend for themselves. The fact that people regularly travel to places like the Hakurei Shrine and now the Moriya ropeway, which are both roughly an hour away from the village by foot, indicates that there's no immediate and oppressive threat as though youkai are just waiting right outside the gates to gobble them up.
>>
>>16964627
>and many more examples.
Minoriko literally throws rice and sweet potatoes at you.
>>
>>16964630
Outsiders wouldn't know about spellcard rules. I'm also pretty sure there was something that mentioned the only people from outside that do get killed are those that were suicidal or otherwise wouldn't be missed and everyone else just experienced the "spiriting away" phenomenon or, if they wanted to stay, was forcibly placed into the human village. I mean no one killed Sanae or Sakuya or Sumireko even though they'd have the means and excuse to.
>>
>>16963586
Literally all you need is some method of flight and a way of producing masses of non-lethal projectiles. Easy for magicians, priests, or spirits, not so easy for Farmer Joe.
>>
>>16965067
>non-lethal
I don't think danmaku has to be non-lethal - it seems like Sakuya's knives could easily kill someone, and that's not to mention the actual suns that Okuu likes to throw around. There's nothing in the spell card rules about battles having to be non-lethal, either: Just that you can't kill a human after the battle is over even if you won. Although it does raise the question of why no one ever seems to die or even suffer serious injuries in a spell card battle.

https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense/Draft_of_Spell_Card_Rules
>>
>>16963632

>It doesn't have to be magic. Sakuya uses kitchen knives

But in order to throw more than 50 knives per second, you need some sort of magic. I don't think Sakuya throws knives with her hands the same way regular knife throwers in circuses do.
There has to be some magic involved.

Not even talking about what carrying millions of knives under your skirt would be like. My guess is that she is carrying a small amount of knives and magically duplicate them and they somehow vanish not long after the impact.
>>
>>16965174
Sakuya stops time and throws a ton of knives during the stopped time, like DIO does. Although unlike DIO, she can actually stop time long enough to go gather a lot of individual knives, which is how she uses so money.
>>
>>16965182
Stopping time = magic

But anyway, I don't think she just stop time to then throw knives like a normal person would do with their hands (like one would throw a ball); I'm pretty confident she make the knives appear and use some magical force to propel them.
>>
Does sakuya age when time is stopped?

If so, how old is she? And why tf doesn't she take at least one portion of the immortality elixer?
>>
>>16965314
I going to assume no, she can manipulate time and space to an extend that it freezes and expands when ever she wants it to.

But the natural flow of time affects her, so while she freezing time to do things from throwing knife to cleaning up the mansion, she also internally freezing her aging process, but when she going about her day as normal like serving tea to Remi, she ages like a normal human.

Otherwise she would not fear the natural lifespan of being human, and be unable to serve her mistress.
>>
>>16965250
Technically speaking, i wouldn't call it magic outright. we don't know how the power operates in principle, only that it does.

Could be some wacky super science.

>>16965174
Also technically, sakuya doesn't actually carry that many knives. She just stops time and goes to pick up ones she already threw.
>>
>>16966929
>Also technically, sakuya doesn't actually carry that many knives. She just stops time and goes to pick up ones she already threw.

I need sauce on that. And even implying this is true, this would imply that she carries a minimum of 150 knives as you can see there can be more than 150 knives on the screen.
>>
>>16969512
Sakuya's description in PCB Manual
>If she were to run out of knives during a battle, she'd just stop time and pick them up again.
>>
Just grab a high capacity BB gun and you can probably challenge low level youkai in danmaku assuming you can run and aim.
>>
>>16963586
Where does the idea of the Tengu having a fortress come from? And do we got any pics of it?
>>
>>16965162
Danmaku being lethal would go against the entire point of the spell card system, giving youkai a way of non-lethaly dealing with Reimu.
>Sakuya's knives could easily kill someone, and that's not to mention the actual suns that Okuu likes to throw around.
Magic
>>
>>16969512
What the fuck desu, do you even play the games?
>>
How is Junko's hat or Yuyuko's spellcards background called? I'm talking about the arc looking thing.
>>
>>16971429
What is your point? Did you think I asked sauce for the fact that she stops time? I was not asking for that. I was asking for sauce that says that she goes pick up the knives that she threw.
>>
>>16971404
But the point of the spell card system isn't to make battles non-lethal - it's to even the playing ground. The spell card rules say you have to announce your attacks in advance so your opponent has a chance to dodge them, and that you can't repeat the same attack over and over indefinitely. This way, Yuyuko can't just use her death manipulation power to kill an opponent instantly with no chance for them to resist, and Reimu can't use Fantasy Heaven to become invincible for the entire battle, to name two examples.
>>
>>16972927
>you have to announce your attacks in advance so your opponent has a chance to dodge them
Declaring attacks is both to formalize and to establish how many attacks you'll be using beforehand. This is why you can know when the opponent will be defeated.

Non-lethality is already implicit due to the condition of not being able to kill humans even if you win, and because it's part of why the rules were established in the first place, as previously mentioned. Extreme power abuse is something strong youkai already avoided just because they already realized doing so is pointlessly destructive.
>>
>>16972985
>Non-lethality is already implicit due to the condition of not being able to kill humans even if you win
Real-life duels work the same way, though - they're usually to "first blood" meaning that the contestants can no longer fight when one of them has been wounded, whether it's a minor wound or a lethal wound. Also, it's established that spell card battles can cause some degree of physical harm - characters are often bandaged after a fight, and Sakuya's knives are visibly bloody in EoSD's stage 6 midboss fight. The protagonists even choose to use lethal attacks against Mokou in the IN extra because they know she'll just come back to life afterwards.

That being said, there's no record of anyone ever having died for real in a spell card battle, but I feel like that's more a testament to the lighthearted nature of the series than anything else. Also, ZUN seems to avoid answering whether or not spell card battles have the potential to be lethal, so maybe it's supposed to be ambiguous:

https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Meiji_University_talkshow_%22Dawn_of_Touhou%22#Non-serious_Q.26A

>Q. Aren't throwing-knives lethal?
>A. Not if it doesn't hit a critical body part... or maybe it is.
>>
File: 244.jpg (711KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
244.jpg
711KB, 1000x1000px
If Gensokio had to close because nobody donated during the last fund raising campaign and each country had to adopt a single girl, and only one, based on your current knowledge (No googling) where would you send the following girls so they're most likely to achieve happiness.

Hong Meiling
Ibuki Suika
Flandre Scarlet
Merlin Prismriver
Hina Kagiyama
Yukari Yakumo
Kogasa Tatara
Seija Kijin
Naruto Uzumaki
Inaba Tewi
Yuuka Kazami
Komachi Onozuka
>>
>>16973120
>Non-serious Q&A
Anon...

And Mokou is an exception to the rule. Though, even that's ambiguous as, seeing as how ISC and LoLK confirm that Mokou's battle style can be, for lack of a better term, somewhat self destructive.

There is no doubt in my mind that 2hus could kill with their lasers and bullets, but I have a hard time imagining that they don't dial it down for danmaku, seeing as one wrongly placed lethal bullet could kill the girl that's basically holding Gensokyo together.
>>
>>16973640
>Non-serious Q&A
I think that just means that silly questions are allowed. ZUN's answers still seem sincere.
>There is no doubt in my mind that 2hus could kill with their lasers and bullets, but I have a hard time imagining that they don't dial it down for danmaku
Oh, don't get me wrong: I'm pretty sure most characters don't use their full power in spell card battles. Pre-battle banter notwithstanding, it's not like there are many times in the series where a character clearly wants to kill someone (Junko is the only one who immediately comes to mind). Most "bullets" seem to be fairly harmless bits of magical energy or something similar, so I doubt many spell card battles happen with lethality in mind. I'm just saying that there's nothing in the spell card rules stating that the battles have to be non-lethal, and the fact that no one ever dies in them is just because Touhou is an unrealistic and jovial series. Sakuya uses actual throwing knives in her danmaku, which could easily kill someone in real life, but it never happens in Touhou. For that matter, even Minoriko's potato danmaku could realistically be lethal: You could die from having a single potato thrown at the side of your head if you were unlucky. There's not really any such thing as a "non-lethal" attack: Just attacks that are less likely to kill someone. And in Touhou, they almost never do - they just ruffle clothes and cause some minor cuts/bruises because that's what fits the tone of the series. It's like in shounen manga where characters beat each other up all the time, but rarely suffer any long-lasting injuries like they would in real life.
>seeing as one wrongly placed lethal bullet could kill the girl that's basically holding Gensokyo together
Reimu, like any human, could die from having a single potato hurled at the side of her head - it's just that it would be a really lousy way to end the series.
>>
File: 1493475851805.png (47KB, 179x199px) Image search: [Google]
1493475851805.png
47KB, 179x199px
>>16973223
India.
>>
Are all youkai unaging?
>>
>>16973968
>I think that just means that silly questions are allowed. ZUN's answers still seem sincere
Rather than talking about the seriousness of the question, I would just point out that this was from 2004. He had only just barely started to form the foundation of the series at that point. Really the main thing is that danmaku lethality is something that isn't ever considered in the series, and probably shouldn't be thought about too hard.
>>
>>16978040
Some beast youkai need to age in order to become youkai in the first place.

Or eat a dude, which ever comes first.
>>
>>16963586
Is there a 2hu more fuggable than the one named after a dessert?
>>
>>16978040
My headcannon is that Youkai come from existence when human begin to fear them, or the idea that they represent.
So pure Youkai come out fully matured, and in most cases do not age, unless human being to no longer have faith in them.

Half Youkai on the other hand should age, but they mature far quicker than any human, and also after maturity, age far more slowly.
>>
>>16983930
IN confirms that the Lunarians created the youkai to terrorize humanity.

>>16978040
Youkai don't seem to be truly unaging. While there is no proof that they can die of old age, their mental states seem to deteriorate over time, or at least that much is implied by Eiki.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.