[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on Reimu as a protagonist?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 13

File: 200px-Th08Reimu.png (87KB, 200x381px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Th08Reimu.png
87KB, 200x381px
What are your thoughts on Reimu as a protagonist?
>>
She's very red.
>>
File: Reimu.png .png (153KB, 857x623px) Image search: [Google]
Reimu.png .png
153KB, 857x623px
Pic related, but needs to be updated a bit

"Assaults a widow grieving her son" needs to be added
>>
File: 1490321006072.png (163KB, 531x325px) Image search: [Google]
1490321006072.png
163KB, 531x325px
>>16882925
She's my favourite antihero
>>
File: b127133fcd7d0859876a5f382c6ee7af.jpg (666KB, 650x1200px) Image search: [Google]
b127133fcd7d0859876a5f382c6ee7af.jpg
666KB, 650x1200px
Ambivalent. She's as unheroic as it goes compared to Sanae or even Marisa.

But while her personality is all but villainous, she would be a pretty forgettable jerk as an opponent. Whereas as a protagonist, she introduces an interesting duality - as a shrine maiden that is full of vice, yet reliable when truly needed, no less. So I guess I'd rather have her stay the protagonist - even though she's thoroughly unlikeable as a person.
>>
File: 3hzHa3q.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3hzHa3q.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>16882925
She's probably my favorite of the playable characters (Never really got the Marisa hype, maybe it's just that i don't really care for characters who i only find fun when they're interacting with someone i find more interesting), at times, she comes off almost as a greedy and not-depressed version of Myoue from Kyousougiga, and considering Myoue was my favorite character from that show, i guess it has to do with that, Reimu's personality makes far more sense when you realize she was probably born into her role, through her entire life, she was likely always the Hakurei Shrine Miko, and instead of making her a bland character whose only characterization is her job, Reimu's role is something that influences her personality in a way that allows her to be an actually dynamic and interesting character simply due to the fact that her role is itself interesting.
This small text is very shitty and in no way does it do justice to Reimu as a character and i apologize for that, but i hope the people who also like her as much as i do can understand what im trying to say here. Im no writer, and i don't really know how to really find the words to say what im trying to say, so once again, sorry.
>>
Her dialogue always has the vibe that she just doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks in the games. Admittedly, she doesn't have to, she only has to do her job and resolve incidents. Her nonchalant "my-way-or-the-highway" attitude also seems to serve as an indicator and enhancement of how fearful youkai are of her power.
>>
File: 1490325622980.gif (2MB, 651x758px) Image search: [Google]
1490325622980.gif
2MB, 651x758px
She's alright.
>>
File: -幸い巫女.jpg (602KB, 688x1000px) Image search: [Google]
-幸い巫女.jpg
602KB, 688x1000px
>>16882925
She's a misunderstood character. People seem to get the impression that Reimu is only a big fat meanie youkai exterminator that bullies the youkai, but that isn't entirely the case at all. Reimu only acts that way during incidents, detaching her emotions so that she can take care of the incident quickly.

When no incident is at hand, Reimu acts pretty normal, nice even. She's nice to Marisa, Kasen, Kosuzu, Akyuu, and even the fairies behind the shrine, and "under" her shrine. This isn't to say Reimu doesn't decide to bully the nearest youkai, but it isn't in a emotionless way that she normally does.

What Reimu's true goal besides maintaining the balance of Gensokyo is peace. She wants to have peaceful relationships between Humans and Youkai, and she's pretty easy going about it. Reimu is described as "Someone whose occupation is Shinto but she goes about her life in a Taoist way", even down to her main weapon being a yin-yang orb. Reimu is easy going and peaceful when no incident is at hand. However, she isn't easy going when there's an incident.

She's not trying to exterminate the youkai that are always at her shrine. Yes, because she's being lazy, but she's only being lazy because it isn't an incident. Parties happen there, she enjoys her time and so does everyone else. This is the Reimu I know.
>>
>>16883337
>Her dialogue always has the vibe that she just doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks in the games.
Yeah, there are some dialogues where she is really mean or doesn't give a fuck about her rivals that always crack me up when reading them, her bitterness made many people not like her as a character but personally that's what I like the most about her.

Marisa on the other hand has some funny dialogues and while I like her personality a lot I tend to stick to Reimu most of the time.
>>
File: reimu5.jpg (263KB, 1479x979px) Image search: [Google]
reimu5.jpg
263KB, 1479x979px
Reimu a cute
>>
File: Reimu.png (148KB, 756x1048px) Image search: [Google]
Reimu.png
148KB, 756x1048px
>>16883099
Here one that gives both side of the "argument".
>>
I like big tits Reimu
>>
I like Marisa more as a character but love Reimu as a protagonist. I find her attitude interesting in that role and think it's amusing. If their roles were reversed (Marisa as "main" character and Reimu as her best friend player 2) the series wouldn't be as good to me.

As a flawed character in a setting like Gensokyo I find her compelling and realistic and her attitude is a breath of fresh air compared to most "heroes". I don't ever feel like she has an ulterior motive or agenda or anything, she just is who she is.

I lile Reimu a lot.
>>
I like that Reimu's work ethic amounts to "only do the bare minimum, but whatever you do do, do well".

Other than that, she seems like a mostly friendly person, not caring whether it's humans or youkai frequenting her home. And I disagree with >>16883123 thinking she's not heroic; as >>16883872 says, she likes Gensokyo's peace and goes out to defend it when she deems it necessary, she's just not perfect. She can be a little ignorant sometimes, she's not really concerned with taking care of the shrine, and like most fans know she trash talks people who take up position as her opponents, but she's still a good-natured person.
>>
>>16882925

Reimu is actually a far more moral person than most people realize when you take into account Fantasy Heaven. With that ability, she could easily become the tyrant of Gensokyo and take whatever she pleases, but she restricts its use to the point that she didn't even call on it to beat the Watatsuki sister during her intrusion of the moon, as she figured out what she was doing was equivalent to causing an incident. I'd personally mark her alignment as somewhere on the "good" spectrum, as though she has a cold facade she really does care deep down, especially when taking account her interactions with many of the younger characters: she even allowed Clownpiece to stay in her home until she accidentally nearly destroyed it!

Regardless, she's pretty middling on my list as far as favorite PCs go as she simply strikes me as someone who fights for her religion and humanity without being particularly religious, or human for the matter. She's just not charismatic.
>>
Hakurei Shrine needs an heir. It's pretty reckless for Reimu to investigate so many dangerous incidents without providing a proper heir to the shrine.
>>
Reimu is not my favorite but I think she is the perfect protagonist to the series due to her role in the story and personality.
>>
>>16884590
I agree and would love to help.
>>
Honestly, I'd rather get eaten by youkai than have to deal with her.
>>
>>16884164
Most of that still sounds bad on the Reimu propaganda side.
>>
Her personality keep on changing so I don't know which Reimu you're talking about.
>>
Ideal.
>>
>>16884515
I wouldn't call Reimu "heroic". To me a hero is altruistic to a fault and their primary concern is helping others. Reimu helps others as part of her job and duty, but if it's not part of either she is highly unlikely to act (see: how she'll only even help lost outsiders if they make it to her shrine; even if she knows they're out there and knows they die, she literally does not care). As you said she likes Gensokyo's peace. its balance, but that doesn't exactly make her heroic in my eyes. Gensokyo at peace is still rather fucked up because it's a place made to serve youkai, not humans. Her aloofness makes her an antihero at best in my eyes, with extremely rare heroic moments (stopping Sumireko from killing herself and destroying the barrier. being very concerned over the wellbeing of kids like Kosuzu) but she will blatantly allow "bad things" to happen if it's not her job to do anything about them.

I would still call her a good person, because she's still pretty nice and friendly at the end of the day, but she's violent, lazy, and unconcerned with the well-being of anyone not under her jurisdiction. Even those under her jurisdiction she's kind of iffy about due to the laziness thing (like how she ignored the DDC incident because it was convenient for her).
>>
>>16884542
F-A-N-T-A-S-Y N-A-T-U-R-E
>>
The most interesting thing about her is the strange sort of pride she takes in her shrine and being its miko. This of course, being contradicted by her lack of both effort and knowledge, and the fact that her duty isn't actually shrine maidening whatsoever. And yet it's there.
>>
>>16885262
It was brought out during Sumireko's interview in the latest work, Alternative Facts in Eastern Utopia that Sumireko views Reimu as a kind hearted and wonderful sort of person. Sumireko is technically not under her jurisdiction because she's an outsider. Now when Reimu was speaking to Aya she was trying to make it seem like "Oh I'm only doing it because Sumireko is incident prone", which may not be entirely wrong, but what Sumireko was saying was pretty genuine.
>>
File: img000005.jpg (777KB, 999x1440px) Image search: [Google]
img000005.jpg
777KB, 999x1440px
>>16885355
I'm saying she protected Sumi out of genuine heroism. She outright says "I won't let a human die in front of me" (though she has).

In that instance it might've been "I can't ignore it if it's in front of my face" mixed with "gotta protect Gensokyo". Also, she likes youngins.
>>
>>16885262
>Gensokyo at peace is still rather fucked up because it's a place made to serve youkai, not humans.
Does this fact make Reimu any less heroic, really?
>>
>>16885403
It's up to your interpretation. Because Gensokyo's humans live under a weird delicate balance, can die if they leave the village in 500 ways, are terrified by youkai, and how anyone unfortunate enough to slip into the place is fair game for death and being eaten, I would say it's honestly not a place worth protecting.

However it's Reimu's place. She likes it, or at least feels this is the way things should be, so she doesn't care about the horrors. Like 100% lack of concern over them. She did, however, help instate the spell card system which made things a hell of a lot nicer.
>>
>>16885412
Strange Creators of Outer World Volume 1 had a section called "Basic Knowledge of Fantastic Words 2015", and in that section it's brought that after Gensokyo was sealed, and before the spellcard rules were implemented, Gensokyo was getting "too peaceful". And there needed to be a way for youkai to establish their presence. This is part of the reason why the spell cards rules exist. It allows youkai to fight often, establish a presence, and best of all, not cause any serious harm to the afflicted parties.

>>16885412
You gotta remember that the humans in the human village are still protected under the youkai contract. And if a human from the outside world were to come and live in the human village, they would become a resident of the village and be protected under the contract. Now this doesn't mean you won't have a youkai that won't follow it but, it's better than nothing.
>>
>>16885488
>too peaceful
Ah, I thought it was established to stop Remi.

Maybe that was just another big part of it. Partly to get fear flowing for the youkai, partly to stop blood baths.
>>
>>16885401
Reimu has long fingers!
>>
>>16885511
Reimu is a skeleton
>>
>>16885545
Reimu is a youkai formed from the belief in human heroes.
>>
>>16885401
What the hell? I want Reimu to pet me too!
>>
>>16885401
Why is everyone but the main Touhous faceless in the official manga?
>>
>>16886986
Cause they're irrelevant.
>>
She kind of reminds me of Saitama.

Just a little bit.
>>
>>16885401
Which manga is this from?
>>
>>16887704
Forbidden Scrollery
>>
>>16882925
Pretty great, she's a lazy selfish asshole like most of Touhous, it's very enjoyable. Importantly, ZUN makes her this way without painting her as an anti-hero or someone that would spoil the series' tone.
>>
>>16885511
Fuck, I can't unsee it. People make fun of ZUN's sausage limbs but at least he avoids mishaps like this.
>>
>>16885355

Would you say that Reimu's jerk act is a facade she does to keep herself from having to be invested in people?
>>
>>16888295
It's merely half a facade.
>>
>>16886854
That sounds like she'd be more like a God since she's a Miko and people rely on her (have faith in her) rather than fear her. Though they may also fear her too...
Maybe Reimu's more like a fierce deity/kishin?
>>
>>16889339
Very few people actually have faith in her.
>>
>>16884542
>she could easily become the tyrant of Gensokyo and take whatever she pleases
Strange, that reminded me of the priest of that other ripoff of Touhou.
>>
File: 1468584418992.png (93KB, 300x269px) Image search: [Google]
1468584418992.png
93KB, 300x269px
>>16884164
>Operation Makai Freedom
>>
File: 23fb816d2a90c9958343df4b8da0605c.jpg (727KB, 915x1000px) Image search: [Google]
23fb816d2a90c9958343df4b8da0605c.jpg
727KB, 915x1000px
>>16890161
I have faith Reimu will raise our cute daughter Reimu Jr. well.
>>
A filthy tertiary here. Explain Fantasy Nature please. I've heard she can phase out of reality or some shit like that.
>>
She has good armpits and that's what matters most.
>>
>>16903867
I want to lick the sweat out of them both
>>
>>16907114
No way dude, the left armpit's mine. You can have the right.
>>
>>16907139
What's her dominant arm? That one is bound to have more sweat on it than the other.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.