[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into the Touhou games? I had the PC-98 one years

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1357796108731.jpg (90KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1357796108731.jpg
90KB, 600x600px
How do I get into the Touhou games? I had the PC-98 one years ago, but it was untranslated and was the only one I ever played.
>>
Play "Perfect Cherry Blossom" or "Ten Desires" first.

The order doesn't matter and those two are the easiest.
>>
>>16674799
Start with EoSD and move from there.
You can play the PC98 games (which now got translated) once you've honed your skills a bit.
>>
As a relative newbie myself, PCB or EoSD are where to start, which one you go for first is personal preference.

EoSD is simplest- no added gimmicks, life gain is purely by score. Tends to have less bullets on screen, but there's a bit more rng in bullet patterns. Also no visible hitbox.

PCB- lives are gained purely by point item collection, and you have a border thing which activates every now and then for a temp shield with a pseudo bomb if you break it. There tends to be a lot more bullets on screen than eosd has, but there's very little random fire. You also have a visible hitbox in focus mode.

So pick whatever one fits your fancy. Beat up vampires or beat up frilly ghosts.
>>
PC-98 games aren't essential, but you can play them after the main ones if you're curious to see where it all began. Make sure to play the PC-98 versions and not the inferior NES ports though.

Normally I'd recommend release order, but if you really care the chronology goes IN > MoF > SA >EoSD > PCB and PoFV, which is where the story ends. UFO is canon technically, but since it's set years after the main story it's not really important. There's also IaMP and SWR, which are non-canon portable spinoffs. SWR is a bit of a tricky case thoughm since according to ZUN the overall plot of it is canon.

I don't recommend playing the games like this though. Jumping from the advanced mechanics of IN, to the stage based MoF and from that to the open world in SA, and after that going back to the primitive mechanics of EoSD sounds like a bad experience. I really recommend you just play them on release order.
>>
>>16675062
IaMP is absolutely canon. SWR is only non-canon in the sense that ZUN doesn't really consider it part of the core "Touhou saga". It's like UFO that way.
>>
>>16675166
It's a joke, I'm using Touhou names but the post is actually about Metal Gear games.
>>
File: 1343849167546.jpg (51KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
1343849167546.jpg
51KB, 600x448px
>>16675228
>>16675062
what the fuck
>>
>>16675228
Too complex man, too complex.
>>
>>16675228
[spolier]Is UFO Rising? It's the only one I'm unclear on.[/spoiler]
>>
>>16675228
I was playing along. IaMP = Peace Walker and SWR = Portable Ops
>>
>>16676195
Goddam I am dumb, getting lost in my own joke. Though IaMP and SWR where supposed to be Ghost Babel and Portable Ops. While PO is ambiguos, GB is completely non-canon
>>
There's too many surprises in this thread. I'm scared.
>>
Okay, I can't figure out a way to combine sjis and spoiler tags and I don't wanna shit up this thread further.
>>
>>16676391
I'm curious. Does sjis work elsewhere on the site?
>>
>>16674842
>(which now got translated)
Holy shit. I have to replay them now.

Found them at the usual site, good.
>>
>>16677562
Only on /vip/
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.