[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

futons, kotatsu, etc

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 280px-Ryokan-hakone-en-4.jpg (11KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
280px-Ryokan-hakone-en-4.jpg
11KB, 280x210px
Seeing that Japanese interior design is seemingly characterized by its lack of furniture, and when it does exist, it is conveniently stored or converted (kotatsu -> normal low table) it seems very suitable for a single loser like myself.

Of course this is all a excuse for being a weeb, but anyone have any experience with futons and Japanese furniture in general? Do futons play well with carpet? Any tips in general?
>>
shit aint comfy my man
>>
>>16650092
Comfy is a mental illness.
>>
It's comfy to sleep in a futon, but I'm too lazy to vacuum regularly or make my bed. I wouldn't like the idea of dust getting into my futon.
>>
>>16647555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMtSc2MJLcw

I can see it working in New York.

Kotatsu & Futons tie into different heating concepts where the heat is more localized to the person.
>>
Is this the weeb thread?
>>
>>16651513
>Is this the weeb thread?
You are aware that you are posting on /jp/?
>>
File: me irl.webm (1MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
me irl.webm
1MB, 600x338px
>>16651556

Of course.
>>
You have to really make sure you do pick them up often, as they soak up a lot of sweat.

A carpet might be okay, but you may want more padding than that. I've used another comforter as an underpad before.
>>
>>16650786

THIS. Would be nice in a clean Japanese house, but not in my cheap Canadian apartment with an ant problem. I put vaseline on the legs on my bed to make sure nothing climbs up. I've never seen them in my bedroom, but...
>>
>>16647555
Futons play well with carpet: NO, dont even try it.

Futons play well with tatami: If you sleep on your side NO.
>>
>>16647555
I have an 8 layer futon as my main bed. I have it on a cheap IKEA bed frame with 1.25" gym floor/fake tatami tiles instead of a bedspring.

I works great. And it's comfy in a hard to describe way. It's not springy or bouncy, but it's not too hard either, even for sleeping on my side. And having slept on a real futon on real tatami floor in Japan on a few occasions I can vouch it feels like the real thing.

I leave it on the bed wrapped in fitted sheet all the time since it's heavy (over 40 lb), but i do fold it and beat it up almost daily to keep it soft.

The biggest problem was getting the lumber and sawing it to length for the base under the tiles, but it was a nice bit of DIY effort and i can say i made my own bed.
>>
>>16650092
I use to sleep on the uncushioned floor a lot back then, I didn't dislike it but I cant imagine sleeping in those would be less comfortable
>>
>>16670941
I didn't have an issue with sleeping on my side when I stayed in a ryokan for a few weeks and slept on a futon on tatami. (Pretty worn out old tatami that had lost a lot of its "spring," at that.)

I might just be used to sleeping on sub-optimal surfaces after spending most of my teens and early 20s crashing on floors of overcrowded anime con hotel rooms, though.
>>
I sleep on a futon. The floor here is wood, and I have a tatami mat underneath my futon. You definitely have to have either tatami or some kind of mat between your futon and the floor. I don't see how anyone could be comfortable without one. Also a futon directly on carpet sounds kinda gross. I wouldn't try it.
I don't have a sweating problem when I sleep so I can't attest to what that's like with a futon, but just in case I have a waterproof cover on my futon underneath a slip that I bought for my futon. It's all super convenient!
I can fold it all up and move it aside if I need the floorspace during the day. Every couple of weeks on a hot dry sunny day I take it outside and place it on a drying rack and air it out and beat it.
My back has always hurt when I sleep on really cushy surfaces so after having stayed in Japan for a few weeks I found that I sleep better on a firmer surface. I also really like the simplicity of being able to take apart and clean a bed so easily. I recommend it to anyone really. Just do your research about what you need and how to take care of one.
>>
>>16673355
sounds comfy friend, can you draw out how you did this? I'm interested in starting a project to fill some time.
>>
>>16650123
What?
>>
>>16688419
Perhaps a desire for comfiness as opposed to simply being comfy could be seen as an indicator that something is amiss?
>>
>>16651479
Thanks for sharing that. I did find it quite strange that there are people living these apparently spiritual and simple lives in New York.
>>
>>16690155
Well: Population density and housing prices probably approach Japanese levels.

But that was not the intention behind sharing that.

I was more referring to tiny NYC apartments which would lend themselves to using Japanese solutions to constrained living spaces.
>>
>>16686168
I'll take pics after the weekend if the thread is still alive, been too busy earlier.
>>
>>16696138
weekends over.
>>
>>16650092

I slept on them when I was in Japan and it was totally hit or miss. Some were super comfy, some were like sleeping on rocks.

I always wondered about getting one for my home in the US, but I can't find any unless I go on Rakuten, and then the shipping is outrageous.
>>
>>16697960
It just started where I live and I'm out of town now.

>>16699302
DIY futon bed guy here, I had mine custom made by a local Japanese futon shop. Top tier quality, came out cheaper than a normal mattress plus box spring, not to mention an imported futon of the same size and thickness after shipping. Shit, the owner even gave me a lift to the nearest rail station since I didn't have a car back then yet. But i guess you need to be lucky to have a shop like this near you.
>>
>>16651479
I really enjoyed that
>>
>>16647555
You can easily get up if you turn the body if you use bed.
It is easier to get up from the bed than get up from the futon.
And, futon is not comfortable unless it is used on tatami.
I have used beds and futon, but for me both are as comfortable.
How about custom-made?
Good futon is made by craftsmen and it seems long-wearing.
It is difficult if you do not live in Japan, but you can also repair it.
so, how about going to Japan in a few years to maintain the comfy futon?
When I was a kid I used a futon made by a craftsman.
>>
File: IMG_20170313_150559~01.jpg (214KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170313_150559~01.jpg
214KB, 1280x960px
>>16686168
Pic 1/3, the main surface of the bed base with the modular "tatami" exercise mats and the mattress pulled up. The mattress is normally covered with a fitted bed sheet.
>>
>>16647555
>Any tips in general?
Don't be a fatass.
>>
File: IMG_20170313_151041~01.jpg (262KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170313_151041~01.jpg
262KB, 1280x960px
>>16708687
Pic 2/3, cross-section through the bed. 2x4 lumber planks, 1.25" mats, mattress.

Note that my futon is thicker than typical, I splurged for a deluxe 10 layer version with 2 layers of sheep wool for improved softness, heat retention and moisture dissipation. It's also queen size so it's pretty heavy and not something you'd want to fold and tuck away in a closet every day.

But after 14 months of daily use it's still pretty much as soft and comfy as on day 1. I just fold it in half length-wise every day, beat it up a bit to fluff it up, leave to let it air out for a few hours, then flip it over and do the same on the other half.
>>
File: IMG_20170313_151332~01.jpg (264KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170313_151332~01.jpg
264KB, 1280x960px
>>16708722
3/3, side view of the plank. It's 2x4 with 2x4 risers, which combined with the mats made the surface of the mats perfectly extend about 1/6" above the level of the bed frame (you don't want it to be exact level or below).

The planks are a little less than 1" apart, and they have about 1/4" space to the bed frame on each side. The risers are about 1.5" wide and are simply sawed off from another plank then glued with a strong woods glue. If your bed is less wide than queen and doesn't have the middle support bar then obviously you'll only need two risers on the sides.

You'll have to do your own math regarding the number of planks to cover the bed frame and the height of the rise that you need to achieve. Spoiler: 2x4 lumber isn't actually 2x4", but 1.75x3.75". Also you probably don't want your mats to be thinner than 0.75" or it might feel too hard.

Sadly the mats only seem to come in shitty colors, but if that bothers you then you can just put a flat sheet on top of them. And since they are synthetic it's important to flip the mattress over and let it air out and dry regularly like I described in the previous post.

Ask me if there's anything else you want to know.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.