[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Japanese movies?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 14

File: Confessions.jpg (65KB, 568x436px) Image search: [Google]
Confessions.jpg
65KB, 568x436px
I've tried to get into live action Japanese films, but a lot of them seem a bit crap. The only ones I've seen and liked (apart from anime) are Confessions, Battle Royale, and Kamikaze Girls. I especially like the humour in each of them. Does anyone have any recommendations?
>>
Hanabi
Tampopo
Survive Style 5+
House (1977)
2LDK
>>
>>16528256
>Confessions
>Kamikaze Girls

Tetsuya Nakashima the GOAT.
>>
File: 15035059.jpg (114KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
15035059.jpg
114KB, 1080x1080px
Oshidori utagassen (1939)
>>
File: Outrage-still-kitano.jpg (3MB, 2673x1779px) Image search: [Google]
Outrage-still-kitano.jpg
3MB, 2673x1779px
>>16528256
Outrage
>>
>>16528256
Eureka
Maborosi
>>
>>16528999
Hana-bi sucks though
>>
File: 2.jpg (257KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
257KB, 1280x960px
>>16529231
And its sequel "Beyond Outrage" Takeshi Kitano is working on the third one afaik.

Also Battle Royal by Kinji Fukasaku.

Crows Zero 1 and 2 by Takashi Miike, those are pretty good, and are spin offs of the manga, correct me if I'm wrong. anyway you can watch them without having read Crows.

The third one, Crows Explode, was directed by Toshiyaki Toyoda, and is another story with different characters etc... You can watch it without the other two nor the manga. It's not as good though.

You can also find some on these threads:
>>727329

>>711834
>>
>>16536535
Sorry, I fucked up with the cross thread redirection.

>>>/t/711834

>>>/t/727329
>>
>>16536535
I saw Crows. I didn't like it because of the whole high school thing.
>>
Anything by Koreeda.

Like Father, Like Son
After The Storm
>>
>>16529231
When did Hiroshima star in a movie?

Next to Kitano no less?
>>
>>16528256
>The only ones I've seen and liked (apart from anime) are Confessions, Battle Royale, and Kamikaze Girls
...which are surprisingly pretty much just like anime. Too contrived imo.
I think Japanese film making is defined by its drama/slice-of-life movies. Recent titles which come to mind are:
Departures
Like Father like Son
Our Little Sister
>>
>>16537662
What does "contrived" mean? Are you just trying to sound knowledgeable.
>>
>>16537741
Not knowing a word is more your problem than mine
>>
>>16537760
Don't make baseless criticisms.
>>
>>16537662
Confessions is far from 'anime', same with Kamikaze Girls. How insulting to even say such a ridiculous thing. Now, Battle Royale I agree with, it's garbage, as is anything directed by Miike. Those types of films ruin the perception of J-cinema, they're basically memes.
>>
>>16537801
You sound pretentious.
>>
>>16537662
>which are surprisingly pretty much just like anime.
SoL is the best genre that the nips can do.
There is nothing wrong with this, keion and hibikek are pretty much poor man's Linda^3 and Swing Girls.
>>
>>16537801
>How insulting to even say such a ridiculous thing
rofl, insulting to who?
Look, the plot is so outrageous that it needed a 30min monologue at the start to explain everything. Then it moves from monologues to monologues with cut away shots (a huge staple in anime thrillers).
I actually wouldn't even call this a movie, less a narrated novel with images.
>>
>>16537909
i just watched Confessions to see how well Boris's music was used in it

it was alright
>>
>>16528256
horror movies:
Ju-on series (actually scared me, and i am a guy who isn't afraid of anything for the most part)

Ringu

One Missed Call (japanese version)

L change the world;
Jigoku Shoujo Live action
Death Note Live action movies
My favorite movies are definitely the japanese version of the grudge, and the one about the girl with the cut face.
>>
Zombie Ass.
>>
>>16528256
Black Rain was decent, Departures was really good.
Korean movies are better
>>
File: All_Night_Long_VideoCover.png (294KB, 347x498px) Image search: [Google]
All_Night_Long_VideoCover.png
294KB, 347x498px
I like these movies
>>
File: hausu-poster.jpg (42KB, 740x473px) Image search: [Google]
hausu-poster.jpg
42KB, 740x473px
Hausu, nigga.
>>
>>16537801
>anything I don't like is memes
Wow, you sound like a massive faggot, buddy.
>>
>>16537662
>...which are surprisingly pretty much just like anime
Huh?
But it's live action, dude!
>>
>>16541741
The works of Miike and films of the same vein get a lot of attention from western audiences and reinforce 'those crazy japs' stereotypes. It is harmful to the perception of J-cinema which is so much more than the outlandish and absurd.
>>
Has Japan produced any good action films lately?
>>
>>16537801
Well, I'm the one who proposed the Miike films...
I'm not feeling offended or whatever but...
>Those types of films ruin the perception of J-cinema, they're basically memes.

You do realise we're on /jp/ right ?
We know that there isn't ONE japanese style of thing. It's not ruining any perception, just watching something different. I watched the Crows when I was still in high school, which may make me remember them as better as they are, but if just them is able to ruin somebody's perception on J-cinema on this board... Then it's probably that they already had a problem with it.

You're way too much on the defensive. It's like saying "Uwe Bol ruins the perception of German Cinema". Don't worry we're still on /jp/
>>
>>16544021
>>16542391
Different person, I don't think it helps Japanese cinema in any way. I didn't like Battle Royale because I felt the violence overtook the message, but movies like "Lesson of the Evil" is just killing children for no reason. I also felt like "Ichi the Killer" was like, ok how far can we take this?
Japan's already an exporter of 'weird culture', ultra violent movies like these add to the "haha, only in Japan" stereotype that's floating around on the web.
In a sense I think this attention-grabbing is on purpose, but yet I'm sure it also leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouths in the end.
>>
Akunin
>>
>>16542391
Can't really disagree with you there, but are you saying Miike's shit isn't entertaining?

Because, like, millions of people would disagree with you there.

And the case for how it affects foreigners' perception of Japanese cinema is kinda of a distinctly Western attitude. Personally, I think anything that draws attention to Japanese cinema in a positive way is a help more than a hindrance.

Admittedly, I love Takashi Miike so I guess I'm biased. He was a gateway drug for a lot of people into the rest that Japan has to offer, though.
>>
File: 24706_original.gif (2MB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
24706_original.gif
2MB, 500x269px
>>16528256

anything with mirei kiritani
>>
Sympathy for Lady Vengence.
>>
Cold Fish

Himizu
>>
Seconding Confessions and Cold Fish, and Outrage. I liked all three.
The Snow White Murder Case was alright.
Surprised nobody has mentioned one of my favorite movies, Kisaragi:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1158278/
>>
File: poster for ants.jpg (19KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
poster for ants.jpg
19KB, 182x268px
>ctrl+f love exposure
>0 results
sacrilege
>>
>>16550190
This. The whole Vengeance trilogy is amazing.
>>
>>16542391
And what is wrong with it? It's drawing attention to J-Cinema and it's also appealing to some people.

Also, if this people eventually get more deep into the medium they will see that this perception is wrong anyway.
>>
>>16550500
Great movies but they are korean.

As far as Korean movies go,
I'm a Cyborg but that's OK was kinda shit, dunno why it is rated so highly.
Snowpiercer was good, dunno if it really counts as korean though.
A Bittersweet Life was alright.
Joint Security Area was good.
Both The Chaser and I Saw The Devil were godlike korean revenge movies.
Then of course there is the classic Oldboy.

Going back to Jap movies, I forgot to mention Hara-Kiri Death of a Samurai. The ending to that movie was well worth the slow buildup.
>>
>>16550716
Damn, forgot to mention Memories of Murder and The Man from Nowhere. Both great Korean films.
>>
>>16550716
Yep, they sure are. I love revenge films and Asian horror and those always soar to the top of my list of goats.

Throwing Yojimbo and Onibaba in the mix for some actually on-topic classics.
>>
Getting any?
It's a self parody by Kitano.
>>
>>16550716
Also most Kim Ki Duk movies are top tier
>>
>>16537662
>Our Little Sister
nothing happens: the movie

though i guess it was pretty good so maybe that's the point
>>
Old boy.
>>
Audition. It's probably a lot different to the book, as I haven't read it, but it was pretty nice. Also, isn't Miike working on a Blade of the Immortal live action?

>>16541737
Niggaaaaa. That was an awesome movie. The effects blew my mind.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (135KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
135KB, 1280x720px
>>16551632
I know, fampei.

It's the cinematic equivalent of a mushroom trip. Hilarious. Visually arresting. One of my all-time favorite films from any country.
>>
Are there any movies that romanticizes but also shows the dark side of the night life? I've been reading Shinjuku Swan and now I'm all caught up but I still want to see more. I'm fine with yakuza movies or even Miike's movies, in fact, I'm watching Outrage right now.
>>
The last ones I watched that I enjoyed were biri gyaru and golden slumber.
>>
>>16551283
You're dumb.
>>
File: this-world-of-ours-poster.jpg (24KB, 353x500px) Image search: [Google]
this-world-of-ours-poster.jpg
24KB, 353x500px
>ctrl + F "Kurosawa"
>0 matches

This is ridiculous, get into Kurosawa even if you don't usually enjoy classic movies.

On a more recent note I really enjoy and recommend This World of Ours. It's a great gem and really deserves at least a small cult status. Unfortunately, hardly anyone ever saw it.
>>
What's that movie with the a bunch of school girls on a bus getting cut in half in the PV trailer?
>>
>>16552867
Yes, recommend films literally everyone has seen.
>>
>>16552867
Can't find a torrent for the World of Ours.
>>
>>16553025
Tag
>>
>>16554376
This, anyhelp?
>>
>>16554376
>>16555852
It's on popcorn.
>>
File: tumblr_nuqc2iISuU1ufut7ko4_1280.jpg (978KB, 850x1133px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuqc2iISuU1ufut7ko4_1280.jpg
978KB, 850x1133px
>>16555884
God damn it. What happened to the sharing spirit of the internet. Everything is a fucking walled garden now, even torrent trackers. It's not like movie companies will come down on you for torrenting this movie, so there is no reason for it to be in a private tracker besides a big fuck you.
Fuck it, I'll buy it and rip it and put it on nyaa/bakabt
>>
why does Shunka make me hard every time?

what a body
>>
File: 1484002095009.png (313KB, 602x598px) Image search: [Google]
1484002095009.png
313KB, 602x598px
>>16537885
liindalindalinda is a fucking masterpiece
>>
Holy fucking shit, I just watched Confessions last night and what a blast. First I thought the opening confesssion was pretty clever, and how shit unraveled slooooowly. Then I wondered how they're going to stretch the plot and boy, oh fucking boy, they stretched it like the amazon river yet it was still as deep as a the marianas trench. That ending too, holy shit. I'm not a big mystery fan, but fuck, that masterful unraveling of events, the brat's goals and motivations.

I only have three questions about the movie.
>Is Werther just a red herring? I thought his name and shit would come into play. I don't know much about the guy nor his books, but I knew about the copycat suicide Effect.
>Is kid B dead? That was a pretty deep stab, wasn't it? The subs I used didn't translate all of what the TV was saying.
>what did she mean by just kidding? Was she going to kill the kid or something or was that just her copying what the kid would say at a time like that?

Thanks OP, for inadvertently suggesting the movie. I'm trying to remember another nip movie with a dude with no face and has to wear a mask.
>>
File: C37PBHxVUAEKtnz.jpg large.jpg (75KB, 1000x751px) Image search: [Google]
C37PBHxVUAEKtnz.jpg large.jpg
75KB, 1000x751px
>>16528256
/jp/ did you just trick me into watching a fantastic comedy by pretending it was a thriller?
>>
>>16557906
thriller this

*grabs dick*
>>
>>16557183
>did kid B die
probably not, japanese people don't know realism when it comes to wounds
>what did she mean by just kidding
she said this is the begining of your redemption, then she said just kidding because he is beyond redemption. it's open ended how she plans on dealing with him, is is a sociopathic killer a the end of the day.

the best part of it is the major thot that got choked on, I was worried that the director was going to try and make the audience like the couple but they were a couple of fuck heads and i'm happy how everything turned out.
>>
Anyone know any good movies about enjo kosai? I really liked Love & Pop and Bounce Ko-Gals
>>
>>16558626
There's Stop the Bitch Campaign, and a bottomless supply if you go further into pink cinema.

Isn't the girl from My Rainy Days involved in it too? I can't remember.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.