[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

It's been almost two years since LoLK's release.
With the benefit of retrospective, what are your general thoughts on this game?
>>
>>16512651
Cool characters and story.
Good music.
Gameplay was a nice change of pace but ultimately I don't think ZUN should have used I Wanna Be the Guy type gameplay as an inspiration because it's more frustrating than challenging.
Clownpiece does things to my dick.
>>
>>16512651
Can't bring myself to play it
>>
The newhus are all pretty good
Great music, underrated OST overall
Frustrating gameplay

I'm glad it exists.
>>
>>16512651
Everyone besides Seiran, Ringo and Hecatia are a bad joke.
Gameplay is hard, but satifsying.
Plot is actually great
Soundtrack is one of the best
7/10
>>
>>16512712
What's wrong with Doremy? The baku is a pretty famous beast from japanese folklore. Fits well in Touhou.
>>
>>16512737
I kind of overexaggerated. Baku and Sagume are ok.
>>
>>16512744
Please don't say "overexaggerated",it's a redundant word as the prefix "over" already implies exaggeration by itself!

/jp/- Your linguistics advisor
>>
File: 61002250_p0.png (823KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61002250_p0.png
823KB, 1000x1200px
>>
File: 1482714760758.jpg (6KB, 296x171px) Image search: [Google]
1482714760758.jpg
6KB, 296x171px
>>16512748
This is... a rather unexpected response?
Helpful.
>>
>>16512651
Characters are pretty solid, story is one of the best in the series to date and adds a lot to the lore, music is memorable and pretty solid. Designs a bit more eccletic but they're not bad.

Actual gameplay, far far too frustrating to the point of a parody.

The spellcard patterns could also do with work, not as many iconic or pretty spellcards.
>>
File: 1462186123376.png (628KB, 1280x620px) Image search: [Google]
1462186123376.png
628KB, 1280x620px
>>16512651
Music was great

Cast was really weird and I still have trouble trying to digest some of the "funny" desings

Gameplay was honestly disappointing, at least for me. I wanted something less gimmicky.
>>
After the initial IT'S NEW AND IT SUCKS knee-jerk, I have to admit it's really great. Certainly the best post-UFO game.
• Best characters in a while. Even the filler characters from the early stages are sort-of cute and memorable. After the shit-fest that was TD & DDC, I'm willing to accept even Hottopic-chan as a legitimate 2hu.
• Story is fun, and surprisingly interconnected with ZUN's other works, print or game or otherwise. Pretty much confirms lunarians to be Touhou's arch-villains, and has none of that religion wars bullcrap.
• Top-notch music all the way through. Best soundtrack since MoF. Just hearing Seiran's theme for the first time made me realize this is one for the ages. Really can't emphasis this point enough: LoLK is the first Touhou game of the 2010's that has more than just 1-2 good tracks.
• Gameplay:
○ When I first heard about Pointdevice Mode I was deeply skeptical; i.e. I was right here on /jp/ whining about ZUN selling out and "casualizing" touhou. Having now played it to the end, it's obvious the game overall wasn't made any easier for it, but I'm still not sold on PD being "the new way to experience touhou!" or whatever. Getting stuck attempting the same segment over and over again to the point of fatigue is frustrating, and turns you into a sloppy player - I find myself doing better in classic mode than in PD.
○ Grazing is more fun and rewarding than ever, especially with very abundant streaming opportunities in all stages. New item-slowing mechanic is so good and yet so simple you're left wondering why wasn't it implemented earlier.
○ This game is really beam-happy, and as a matter of personal preference I despise beams. Stage 5 in particular is a personal hell for me. I hope this is not a trend.
○ Spellcards are really the one area where the game fails, as almost none are memorable or interesting (CP is the exception that proves the rule). Junko's battle really hammers home the whole "purity" thing, but has some of the shittiest danmaku touhou has ever had to offer.

Overall score:
yah it's good
>>
>>16512651
It's one of my favorite games.
It's the first time I like an entire cast. I really like, say, Yukari, but I'm indifferent to the rest of PCB.
OST is good and tracks are longer than usual, but I feel ZUN should have used the opportunity to make them more varied.
Gameplay is frustrating, but I like challenge. I'm ok with Junko being simply brutal instead of a "normal" final boss among the others. Besides, I don't even think her danmaku is bland, "Trembling, shivering star aside". For me, Lilies, Divine Spirit World, Impurity and her final are much more memorable than many other final boss spellcards.
Plot is great and you can feel ZUN put effort in it. I wouldn't mind Junko returning as an "antagonist", but that would mean Moon, which is kinda becoming repetitive, even if it's as of now one of the few stories that can be expanded upon.
>>
>>16512651
I still feel the same way about it as I did when it came out. It's good, not as good as DDC but better than EoSD.
The OST is fantastic, arguably the best in the series.
The cast was fun. I can see why people would hate some of them, but I generally prefer them to the overly safe snorefest that was DDC's cast.
The gameplay was frustrating at times, but the game was designed around it in a way which alleviates some of that frustration. The grazing mechanic was fantastic and the resorce system awards for playing well, which is a plus.
I really wish ZUN made CP's lasers work like IN lasers, that hitbox becomes active way too quickly.
>>
>>16512748
Overexaggerated implies exaggeration to a fault, while exaggeration isn't necessarily negative.
>>
Love the music and characters, but it's pretty much the only major touhou game I dislike the gameplay of.
>>
Pretty good.
>>
In terms of gameplay, I'd compare it to SA as a game that I would consider one of the best in the series if some things were different, but as it is I find mediocre. The resource system is awkward to use and resources are poorly distributed, but that's nothing new about post-MoF Touhou. Pointdevice also flows much worse than the games it was modeled after (i.e. IWBTG or Super Meat Boy): checkpoints are too sporadic and respawn times take too long. The difficulty curve is also inconsistent: stage 1 and 2, while dense and somewhat overwhelming, are pretty straightforward and simple, but the game suddenly takes a nosedive in the middle of stage 3 and the second half is practically a mess. The only games I find less enjoyable than it are TD, PoFV, and the first three PC-98 games.

That being said, everything else about the game is amazing. I love the setting, backstories, and soundtrack--it's my fourth favorite soundtrack in the series. Despite my criticisms of the difficulty, some of the patterns, particularly in the first three stages, are very fun and there are a lot of interesting ideas. I particularly like Clownpiece's and Junko's.
>>
>>16513401
Actually, I would say that the pause between respawns in absolutely necessary for a shmup. In Meatboy and IWBTG, respawning instantly is fine because you respawn in a safe spot, you have a moment to recollect yourself without having to pause. In a shmup, action is constant, so having a moment to collect yourself after dying is vital, it gives you a moment to catch your breath and mentally prepare youself to go again.
>>
I still can't capture Junko's final spell.
>>
Has the worst in gameplay in Windows Touhou, but otherwise; music, characters and story were all pretty fun. Better than 12-14's characters and stories, but seriously I hated every moment of playing it and definitely will not clear the EX stage. It's seriously just too much of a hassle, which is too bad because I really loved listening to the EX stage theme.
>>
>>16517718
You aren't ordinary if you can.
>>
>>16517718
It's ridiculously hard, I can't do it on Hard or Lunatic either
>>
>>16518272
Using Reisen did the trick for me. Plus, after the relatively easy Mamizou and Raiko, Hecatia was a nice change.
>>
>>16518324
Using Reisen is practically cheating, though.
I was able to clear extra with her first try.
>>
>>16513243
Agreed on the lasers. I don't like that there isn't a 'grace period' with the lasers in LoLK like there is with all the other games. It would have made clownpiece a lot more fair feeling without changing the cards or impacting the difficulty significantly.
>>
>>16512651
>two years.
Wow... I never noticed.
This game actually took quite a different turn than the usual modern era touhou games (excluding pofv) and feels much harder.
>>
>>16513079
I like this opinion. I don't hate beams, but I do in LoLK since the hitbox sometimes feels larger than what it should be
>>
Everything was great. The grazing mechanic should've been in a 2hu game a long time ago.
>>
>>16513079
>After the shit-fest that was TD
>LoLK is the first Touhou game of the 2010's that has more than just 1-2 good tracks
TD was a high point of the franchise dude, although LoLK has comparable BGM
I concede that LoLK has the most developed and interesting plot, though a lot of its punch came from how the wait between the demo and the full release gave the plot twist mid-game it's impact
>>
>>16524396
>TD was a high point of the franchise dude
There's a limit, even to obvious shitposts.
>>
>>16512651
Still shit.
>>
>>16524507
Good thing I wasn't shitposting.
>>
Mixed bag of characters. One one hand we've got some good ones, on the other we've Clownpiece, the single worst Touhou in the entire god damn series.
Story's great. Felt more important than most. Stakes help.
Music's good. Not all my cup of tea, but love how spacy and otherworldly they all sound.
Gameplay is real bad. I Wanna Be The Guy is not absolutely not something you want to base your game on. Point device sucks. It just breeds frustration. Makes bombing feel AWFUL too. Some real bad balancing too. Clownpiece normal vs lunatic, for instance.
Props for some of the patterns, though. Junko's simplicity was bold, but it works.
>>
>>16524636
>Some real bad balancing too. Clownpiece normal vs lunatic,
I see you fell for the /v/ meme.
>>
>>16512751
Literally the only good thing to come from it.
>>
>>16524507
He probably meant OSTwise, which is true, TD soundtrack is better than most other games
>>
>>16524966
Not an argument
>>
>>16524507
I came here just to refute you.

TD had engaging gameplay with endearing gimmicks for a novice. I don't care about your hatred of the trance system or how hard deathbombing and scoring are. For someone bad at the game it was easy enough and every fight was very memorable.
The OST was good and got a lot of nice remixes, with Desire Drive standing out and Mamizou's theme getting some strong vocal covers.
The characters are good too. From the extremely cute yamabiko to the absolutely immoral Chinese sorceress and her dead poet, to the headphone lich king. The stage 1 boss was especially inspired.
The story may have only existed to introduce new characters, but that too wasn't bad. ZUN took a location that vanished into fantasy, the dream halls https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C5%8Dry%C5%AB-ji and made a plot off the drama from the Buddhist immigration to Japan.
He even included the masks the prince commissioned as the boss in the next game.
>>
>>16525765
I liked how even low-stage bosses had memorable danmaku, from Yoshika's "Lurching" danmaku and Kyoko's echoing stuff
>>
Best cast
>>
>>16512651
Anyone have a picture like this but with IN's cast and playable characters?
>>
File: 60ac87ec2f6a69964d1eb2b0cc103bf6.jpg (398KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
60ac87ec2f6a69964d1eb2b0cc103bf6.jpg
398KB, 1200x900px
>>16525993
None from that particular artist.
There's a few good ones, but it's harder when you want both PCs and NPCs.
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=372743
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=236497

This one is missing Tewi.
>>
>>16526075
Those are really nice, thank you anon.
>>
>>16525822
Anon, that was a shitpost you're replying to.

>The stage 1 boss was especially inspired.
>>
>>16512651
Very interesting plot
Some of my favorite characters (I at least like all of them)
Great music throughout, only Sagume's theme is disappointing (her stage theme is phenomenal, her boss theme is just..not right)
Probably my favorite gameplay in the main series because I'm bad at danmaku games/STG, so pointdevice mode means I can EVENTUALLY reach stage 5 on normal, at the least (beat Clappy's first nonspell then had to quit, farthest I've ever gotten)
Feels hard, but kinda fair. Overall, one of my favorite Touhou games.
>>
Music was meh.
Just 1 good new character.
Lunarian story....yay?
And the worst gameplay of all Touhou games so far.

It's easily one of the worst games in the series, would not be memorable at all if not for the meme characters.
>>
It's better than DDC at least but that's not saying much.
>>
It's terrible and gimmicky, a complete letdown after such an amazing game like DDC
>>
>>16526729
You can't just call every opinion you disagree with a "shitpost"
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.