[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just wondering...

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: stare.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
stare.gif
2MB, 540x304px
What are some essential things anyone has to take in mind when making a touhou fangame/VN?
>>
>>16426361
Don't be shit at writing- keep fanon interpretations to a minimum, pick a tone from the very start before you start on the script, and probably get people to proofread scripts and such to prevent plotholes and such.
>>
>>16426371
>keep fanon interpretations to a minimum
Okay, where should I search for legit canon info?
>>
>>16426622
Touhou wiki
>>
>>16426883
Anything else?
>>
>>16426361
It should include at least one scene in which Satorin belittles you for being a disgusting pedophile while she gives you a rough footjob.
>>
>>16426361
Don't be from the west. ZUN will shut your project down, regardless of promise or merit; it's happened before, and it will happen again. Don't be fooled, we're unwelcome guests in the house of Touhou.
>>
Don't spread yourself thin. If you're going to write, don't code. If you're going to code, don't write. It's a recipe for disaster and hiatuses.

Of course, if you just want to write, you're going to have a lot of trouble finding someone willing to code your fanfics. Might as well just write a fic if that's what you want to do.
>>
>>16426361
Hats
>>
>>16428601
Only if you beg for money online or try to sell it on Steam like the typical greedy retard.
>>
>>16428698
The writer for a VN is almost always also the coder, unless it's a large, high budget project.

This is bad advice. You need to be able to do both. Get another guy to do the art for you, and another guy to do the music. But you need to be able to code if you're gonna be the guy writing it.
>>
Why is it there are basically no translated Touhou VNs? Are none of them good?

The Busy Person series got translated, but it's a series of gag VNs.
>>
Only use eosd characters obviously
>>
>>16428601
Even if it's a free to play, solo player, non-profit game?
>>
dont advertise on /jp/.
>>
>>16428540
Touhou tv tropes nightmare fuel page.
>>
File: 1439827506106.jpg (90KB, 286x269px) Image search: [Google]
1439827506106.jpg
90KB, 286x269px
>>16428601
That Super Smash Bros. Melee clone incident though. fucken' layers of cringe.
>>
Make the Fortune Teller the main character
>>
>>16432851
I'm pretty sure the guy behind that thing had autism. Like, actual autism. Dude had severe communication issues, to the point where ZUN himself said "Yes you can make the game, why would there be a problem with that" and his response was to scream "ZUN is trying to TRICK ME!" and dox ZUN's lawyer. And he didn't even post it normally, he made a 30-minute animation of himself as a robot shouting it in a distorted voice.

Basically just don't ask people for money for something that doesn't exist yet, and don't distribute it in places where people are going to see it without context (selling it at a con or posting it somewhere like Shrinemaiden is fine; putting it on Steam is not, even if it's free).

>REEEEE ZUN hates gaijins! ZUN lets Japanese people do whatever they want!
No he doesn't. You're telling me you don't remember White Canvas? Touhou Anime Project? Touhou X Anime Tenchou? If anything, Anglophones tend to get off easier since ZUN can't tell what they're doing.

ZUN did make an exception to his non-commercial rule for the "Play, Doujin!" scheme, letting some Touhou doujin circles sell their games on the PS4. But that was only because ZUN knew those guys personally and wanted to help them start their own game studios. That the games were explicitly marketed as being ported from doujins likely helped.
>>
>>16433176
>putting it on Steam is not, even if it's free
I'll take this in mind when it comes to advertising

Since I've got some attention I'll drop some context on what I'm planning to do
The game I'm planing to do is not a VN, let's say it's a Kingdom Hearts type game, the protagonist travel through worlds, it's an beat-em-up game in third person with some minigames, etc
I had in mind using Gensokyo as the main area (replacing Traverse Town or Hollow Bastion), because instead of following the KH formula of using Disney worlds I want to use other things. This will probably be troublesome because of copyright & stuff but I'll have enough time to worry about that when I decide what exactly I want to do
I haven't started the game script yet because this game depends on a certain irl condition to be met in order to start its development.
>>16428698
>>16429000
About this: I'll be using Unreal Engine to make the game. I haven't thought about character models yet, but I'm sure I need someone (or learn myself) to model the protagonist and his weapons
Thinking about the game's OST, I had the idea of recording the entire soundtrack acapella, it may seem like a weird concept, but it worked in some games, and I'm confident I can do a good job with this
No voice actors yet, and unless I discard the acapella idea I won't be needing them, overlapping voices are a bad thing in games.

So yeah, there are very few possibilities for this to be done, but it's not an impossible thing, I just need that certain condition I mentioned earlier to be met and I'll be able to work on it.
>>
>>16433379
The official guidelines set out are here:

https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki:Copyrights#Copyright_status.2FTerms_of_Use_of_the_Touhou_Project

They are not particularly restrictive. The "Touhou Smash" project ran into a wall when they tried to use Indiegogo to crowdfund their project. Basically don't ask for ten thousand dollars right off the bat and you'll be fine.

I saw a Shrinemaiden thread that said you could not sell your goods through your own website but I don't believe that's supported by anything in the actual guidelines.
>>
>>16426622
>keep fanon interpretations to a minimum
>Okay, where should I search for legit canon info?

>>16433379
>his

You'll forgive me if this doesn't fill me with optimism.

Autocorrect's a bitch.
>>
>>16433586
>his
>You'll forgive me if this doesn't fill me with optimism.

What's the problem with that? I've been considering giving the choice of playing as a boy or as a girl, but I don't think that's too relevant after all. Is it really that bad seeing a male protagonist in a touhou scenario?
>>
>>16429011
Because the N in VN stands for "Novel", anon.
>>
>>16433176
>ZUN did make an exception to his non-commercial rule for the "Play, Doujin!" scheme, letting some Touhou doujin circles sell their games on the PS4. But that was only because ZUN knew those guys personally and wanted to help them start their own game studios. That the games were explicitly marketed as being ported from doujins likely helped.
I feel like this is the wrong way to say it, at best. Publishing Touhou content through Play,Doujin has to go through ZUN in order to clear rights; it is "the" way to publish Touhou fangames, and it exists largely in order to accomplish that. It isn't that ZUN knew the circle members personally (well some of them he does), this is a platform open to anyone; the ones that got in right away were ones that opted to do so, and the program is still in the process of getting new creators on board. ZUN wants to support doujin circles that want to go indie, in general, and has been championing that goal for a while now.
>>
>>16433403
>I saw a Shrinemaiden thread that said you could not sell your goods through your own website but I don't believe that's supported by anything in the actual guidelines.
The thread was hastily made following the FSS fiasco, and is in dire need of a total rewrite.

That being said, that part holds somewhat true. It's one thing if you release your work digitally for free, or even if you have a donation page (PWYW models are a grey area). Tons of doujin devs and artists do this. But selling through your own website can be problematic without permission largely because it can be exploited to circumvent regular doujin channels and reach unintended large audiences. You will see very few circles actually selling physical Touhou fanwork through their own website, and basically none selling digital copies. Frontier Aja is the only one I can remember selling digitally and they probably got permission.

This doesn't mean you can't sell from your site period, as D.N.A used to sell physical stuff on his site, and western circle Mystery Parfait sells their card game Danmaku!! on their site. In general selling physical stuff is OK as long as you can actually supply.

This also doesn't mean you can't sell digitally at all without specific permission, since for example you have Melonbooks and Toranoana with digital stores, but they've also been given the ok as a wide net.
>>
>>16436130
Because you'll get into self insert nonsense, it's best to just use one of the main characters already. I have my doubts about you being able to write a character that fits in the touhou universe.
>>
>>16437169
>self insert nonsense
Do not worry about that., it's not going to happen.
>>
>>16433176
Even though I really am a touhou fan, I never had any affection for Zun. To me he always has been an asocial nerd who spends his time in his little room making his own business without ever assuming the phenomenon that touhou has become, and showing the most explicit disrespect for the international touhou community. As a frequent user of both nicodouga and youtube, I am quite confident to say that there are more (probably even WAY more) touhou fans in the whole world excluding Japan than there are in Japan alone. So sorry, but don't come and tell me that the poor little scared child wants everything to stay "within the reglementations of Japan" because, guess what ? Touhou isn't japanese anymore, it's a worldwide phenomenon, and if Zun actually believes you can become famous worldwide and get a huge international fanbase WHILE staying in his confort zone and continue his little life as if those million people never existed then he'd better sell the whole thing, 'cause he doesn't deserve any of that success he has. This is disrespectful for his fans and insulting. I have never seen Zun promoting or offering support to people working on a fangame, or a fan-made anime, or anything that could make touhou something (even) better. But I learn here it's not the first time that he comes and ruins a project without reason. Here we see it again with that Touhou Smash project. I mean, look at that, look at the quality of the work that has been done, the time that has been invested. Zun doesn't even have the skill to do something a tenth as good as this quality-wise. But, no, he doesn't want it done, so he decides to just crush everything and put a year of work to waste.
>>
>>16438015
Why are you copypasting the Touhou Smash guy's posts?
>>
>>16438098
It's called "shitposting".
>>
>>16438015
Maybe this guy should follow the chinks' example who get away with fan animations and probably some games.
Hell, even the unmotivated jpsies made two mobile games.

Also, I'd wait for that Smash game made by the other guys regardless of quality just to blow on this guy's face.
>>
File: 1354128317700.jpg (59KB, 351x422px) Image search: [Google]
1354128317700.jpg
59KB, 351x422px
Make sure it has nice music

I want to be a good arranger before I become a good 2hu game dev
>>
Try to be creative
Enjoy yourself
At least try to see it to the very end.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.