[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to play Touhou. How should I start?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_6914.jpg (160KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6914.jpg
160KB, 533x800px
I want to play Touhou. How should I start?
>>
File: lol.jpg (47KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
47KB, 400x300px
>>16332935
>>
File: 1477517650582.jpg (54KB, 559x650px) Image search: [Google]
1477517650582.jpg
54KB, 559x650px
You start with touhou 1
AND YOU END WITH TOUHOU 15
Don't listen to anybody else.
Especially to fags that tell you that you should start with 6,7 or 10.
You start with 1.
Go chronologically.
You DO NOT miss touhous with .5, .3, .7 and .8
And you END with touhou 15.
>>
>>16332971
>You DO NOT miss touhous with .7
That should be easy.
>>
You play the fighting games lol
>>
>>16333164
this haha

after that just listen to some touhou musics and post tuho pics on 4chan
>>
>>16333164
Actually this. They're great.
>>
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Release_Timeline

Like this. Skip PC-98 if you don't like vintage games.
>>
>>16332935
Skip the pc98 stuff for now. Or at least skip 1, I think any sane person sees that that game is crap.
>>
>>16332935
play the ps4 game
>>
>>16332935
With 6.

Skip 1-5 (PC-98) because you're less likely to like them, especially 1.
>>
>>16333584
to be clear, you can feel free to play them later, but even then for the most part they aren't relevant

Nice music tho
>>
>>16333584
I can understand not liking 1-3, but 4 and 5 are great though
>>
>>16332935
Play all of them, starting with 6 and then in any order you feel like. Give them all a quick try before settling down with a certain one. Don't listen to the people saying not to play PC-98, there's not that much correlation between most of the games anyway, you play them for the characters in the specific games, the gameplay, and the music. The PC-98 games are older, but you should definitely check out 2, 4, and 5. There's about the same difference between touhou 2 and 6 as there is between 6 and 10, and the anex86 emulator comes set up to play so there's no real gap in difficulty of getting the games to work unless you're a complete and total fucking retard who can't just select a file and press start.

So, start with 6, figure the rest out on your own. Don't listen to anyone telling you not to play the games.
>>
>>16332935
Press shift to focus
>>
>>16333798
I don't disagree, but still starting with the windows era is a safer bet.
>>
>>16333878
This is a great tip because I have seen a let's play where a guy didn't even know how to do this and got a game over on Cirno.
>>
>>16334281
I always found 4 in particular to be far more beginner friendly than 6, but yeah, setting up an emulator could be a barrier to those who are lazy.
>>
>>16332935
I would start with 15 because it has the check point mode. Now before everyone stretches my booty hole out, allow me to explain myself. Although providence mode can be frustrating at times and the fact that it sets a bad example for what the rest of the series is, it at least gives new players who may not be very good at the games to complete the game where as they would otherwise be scared off by stage four.
>>
>>16334354
>got a game over on Cirno.
No no no, lose a life ? Sure, Game Over ? Impossible.
I refuse to believe there are people like this breathing the same air as me, did he at least git gud ?
>>
Start with whatever classic you want (From 6 to 9, PC-98 if you strecth it.) and just, I don't know, play.
Just remember you should NOT give up whenever you lose a life or a few, or else you'll be stuck in an endless cycle of Stage 1,2, MAYBE 3. Also remember to bomb and learn to deathbomb, they're there for a reason. Plus press shift whenever you're up against a boss or the screen is crowded. Oh, and needless to say, Practice Start is also there for a reason.
And that's about it, have fun, follow these and you'll be completing the game within a week of starting.
>>
>>16333274
Any person who gets their ass kicked instead of actually understanding the mechanics and figuring out farming lives is easy as fuck, you mean.
>>
>>16334354
When I starting playing touhou games I didn't know that was a thing yet still at least made it to fucking china.
>>
>>16336410
The first time I discovered focus was when I was raging against sakuya.
I fucking punched my keyboard and noticed that for a split second my character moved slow as fuck.
thanks meido
>>
>>16334354
Which game are you talking about, though? EOSD or PCB? Or maybe POFV? Bit of a difference there maybe.

If it's PCB that's pretty bad. I usually refrain from commenting if someone is really bad, but that's pretty much cringe level.
>>
>>16334354

Needing to even use focus to beat normal Cirno is pretty pathetic.
>>
>>16333862
I find it odd some are such vehement defenders of the PC98 titles when ZUN himself cared to forget them for the most part and doesn't even sell them anymore.

I mean, they're interesting, but it's always seemed clear to me he was a little more...loose with how he approached those first games/experiments.
>>
File: 0269.jpg (164KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
0269.jpg
164KB, 850x850px
Play 7 > 5> 8> 13> 14.5> 3 > 4> 1> 2> sleep a bit > 6 > 7 again> go watch some youtube memes > 2 > 4.5> read the wiki > 15 > 7 again (but this time beat Yukari) > 10 >11> 12 > shistpost on /jp/ touhou girls generals > 7 again > 9 > 3 > 12 > kill yourself.
>>
>>16336573
>4.5
Did I miss anything?
>>
>>16336504
I don't think he's being vehement. Vehement would be saying "someone can't fully appreciate EoSD+ without having played HRtP through MS" or something.

They certainly are more experimental, but it's good for newcomers to be told that, despite requiring an emulator, they are still games that can be played and enjoyed.
>>
File: 1465774119006.png (321KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1465774119006.png
321KB, 700x700px
>>16336583
>Did I miss anything?
Perhaps.
>>
>>16334505
To be fair, it was some Dumbass who decided that because he does streams, he needs to play on the hardest difficulty. It did not go well for him. By the end of the video he was able to make it to Alice before quitting.
>>
>>16337073
Oh, so he was doing PCB ? Losing to midboss Cirno is even more pathetic than losing to boss Cirno.
People need to learn that Normal difficulty is, you know, normal, not Easy Modo disguised.
>>
>>16334387
They will be scared off by stage 2, checkpoints or not.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.