[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Touhou Gameplay Thread! Previous >>16141237

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 60

File: 1480562692345.png (566KB, 639x479px) Image search: [Google]
1480562692345.png
566KB, 639x479px
Touhou Gameplay Thread!
Previous >>16141237
>>
File: scorebug.png (470KB, 639x480px) Image search: [Google]
scorebug.png
470KB, 639x480px
>>16219151
Hey, it's my UFO ExNNN with SanaeA screenshot. I'm honored.

Anyway, got 2.269b a few days ago, and it's my first scorebug clear in this game. Going for 2.5b now.
>>
File: Progress.png (11KB, 400x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Progress.png
11KB, 400x1080px
I just barely got this DDC 1cc with SakuyaA, but I did it. (0/0)
>>
>>16219447
>SakuyaA

Might as well play easy mode.
>>
File: scrub.png (16KB, 400x1080px) Image search: [Google]
scrub.png
16KB, 400x1080px
I decided to throw away my No Bomb challenge for Touhou 12 and just get a regular clear since I was sick of this shit and wanted to move on to the next game and bang my head at a wall trying to clear that for a second time.

Got it my first try. Apparently playing without ever bombing for two weeks straight makes you better at a game, who would have thought. Only used two bombs before Stage 6 (one was in the middle of Stage 2 when I fucked up routing) and had a full inventory at the start of the Stage 5 boss.

Then I bombed the everloving shit out of Byakuren out of panic, as usual when I 1cc a game.

Got 18 clears total though, almost as good as my SA run. Do all Touhou games have the same number of spellcards or does it vary? If it's all the same I might start marking any new 1ccs with the number of cards captured to keep track, unless actually good players think that's dumb and not worth doing.
>>
I haven't played any hus since probably 2011 and am gonna try and get back into it. are the torrents on nyaa good or what? I downloaded some MUGEN shit and was pissed
>>
>>16220385
Yeah, the Touhou Project All-In-One Pack on nyaa is good. I downloaded an earlier version of that when I first got into playing these games a bit over 2 years ago.

Or Moriya Shrine works as well.

>>16220118
It varies, especially due to things like Yuyuko's resurrection butterfly or IN's last words, or the presence of a midboss on stage 4/6
>>
File: 1444170194974.jpg (191KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1444170194974.jpg
191KB, 500x500px
>start playing GFW after the UFO clear
>remember immediately why this game took me three months to clear the first time I played it

Maybe I should put off playing any more Touhou until after finals week.

I think games that require a great degree of routing for optimal play (in ways other than just boosting score) are the hardest for me. UFO gave me a ton of shit and I can tell already that playing this game is going to be hell, especially since I want to go down a route that will give me a completely different level order compared to my first 1cc for the sake of variety.
>>
>>16220571
Out of curiosity, is there some kind of mod for GFW that lets you pick stages or only do bosses or something like that, like how SA and UFO have the boss-only patch? I feel like it would really, really help me with this game. Routing is such a bitch, I feel being able to practice Stage 2 and 3 without having to play Stage 1 ten thousand times would help me.
>>
I just got my first 1cc the other day on EoSD! I'm very happy about it, played touhou a couple years ago casually but I was unlucky enough to be playing UFO/SA which were the newest at the time so I never really got that far. Finally got into it properly a week or two ago and I've been having fun. Working on PCB now, stage 5 is a little tricky so I've been practicing it.
>>
File: Summary.png (11KB, 400x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Summary.png
11KB, 400x1080px
I still have made no progress (neither have I played anything very recently, been quite busy)
I'm also stuck at Junko's last spell in LoLK PD.
>>
>>16220678
Basic fairy wars routing really isn't too bad.

This was made somewhat recently, but not by me. Rename/replace the .dat in a copy of your main fairy wars folder. It's a bit buggy but it works.
https://mega.nz/#!jlE1xaRK!sZWsChGd9Dkf1wk2FnBMxBjQl4WiYke5ruPUwTbYfrA
>>
Is there a way how to fix replay in PoFV? I cleared the game 4 times and only have 1 replay.
>>
>>16222977
In what way did it crash?
>>
>>16220816
Fuck that card. I just bombed through it.
>>
>>16223021
When I wanted to save replay obviously.
>>
>>16223511
Use a score file that doesn't have 5/5 score entries filled in for the category you want to play. I kept crashing with a "full" score.dat for the category I was playing until I downloaded a new one, where someone else unlocked all the stuff on normal/extra, but hadn't filled anything in for lunatic.

If that doesn't work it could have to do with windows 10 compatibility or something.
>>
>>16223148
B-but I don't have any bomb left.
>>
>>16223807
What did you spend them on? I save just for that card.
>>
>>16224001
I spent the last one for the previous spellcard. I couldn't remember which one was the last spellcard.
>>
>>16224011
Overflowing impurity is her previous card. I move clockwise around Junko and I don't run into any issues as long as I don't hesitate or slow down too much.

I save a bomb by timing out doremy's last card and the only clownpiece card I bomb is her last card, fake apollo because I always choke when they pick up speed towards the end. Those are the only two bombs I use and everything remaining is for Junko.
>>
>>16221092
>Basic fairy wars routing really isn't too bad

Maybe if you're not horrible at Touhou, but I am, and GFW is the most demanding game I've played in the series on Normal (except possibly LoLK because I have never made a real effort to clear Legacy mode so I don't have a strong opinion on its difficulty other than being out of my league). At least with UFO, there are moments of levity where you don't have UFOs to go after, but you constantly need to play 100% perfectly to boost your motivation/bombs/ice area as quickly as possible. My first 1cc was of A-2 (which I still think has the easiest first stage regarding grinding up motivation) and it took me about two months before I could consistently get to 500% motivation by the end of the first boss fight, and I'm going to take one of the B routes this time which has what seems to be less-abuse-able for motivation. There's not a point in any stage where I feel I can relax and not worry about grinding, which isn't too overwhelming since there are only three stages, but it's still something that pushes me to my skill limit very early.

Thank you for that Mega link. I haven't finished downloading it yet because Mega hates my computer for some reason (the more I download, the slower the download speed, starting around 500kb/s and ended with less than 50kb/s) but I will do my best to take advantage of the resource.
>>
>>16219447
Why are you performing an undefined mathematical operation?
>>
File: touhou12.jpg (91KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
touhou12.jpg
91KB, 660x495px
Oh god I think I fucking hate UFO.
>>
>>16224558
Git gud, then.
>>
>>16224219
>>16221092
>try out patch
>skip to Stage 2 just to test it
>most of the stage is just like Stage 2
>specific parts of the stage behave slightly different (i.e. fairies just shoot rings that spread out at one point when they normally shoot rings that home in on the player
>if you continue to Stage 2 via path progression it plays the same stage but everything is normal

This is kind of weird. I guess this is one of those bugs?
>>
Rolling for which game to play next.
>>
>>16224791
I already 1cc'd it, not sure if I'm going to do more than that in this game, it is just unfun compared to the others
>>
Yeah! I captured both scarlet gensoukyou and scarlet meister (on hard). While trying to unlock Extra.
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=42068
>>
>>16224820
>mod can't handle stage 3 without softlocking at the midboss

Darn, that's probably the stage I'd want to run through the most.
>>
>tfw you can't 1cc MoF
Damn it, entire 4th and 6th stage.
Stop lying about you being hard, I know you're easy!
>>
Is there some trick to grinding Daiyousei's Stage 1 attacks for motivation in GFW, the second and third specifically? I swear she's harder on Stage 1 than Lily White and Black are on Stage 2, both of them were relatively easy to grind, Daiyousei's bullets are just fucking everywhere at random.
>>
>>16225359
Not really any tricks. You can shoot with the side of your shot for more charge per damage and maybe get another 8% or so motivation from a freeze. Not much.

>>16224820
>>16225030
I guess it was a bit more fucked up than I remembered, oops.

Also who are you quoting!
>>
>>16225555
Shame. Maybe I should just look at high scoring replays since they probably have similar patterns to what I'm looking for in optimization.
>who are you quoting
Sorry anon, I've picked up bad greentext habits from /v/.
>>
>>16225563
Actually, maybe I'm overanalyzing things. I went over a replay of my most recent practice run, and would have had almost 900% motivation by the end of Stage 2 if I didn't die five times (most of them due to me trying to grind out more motivation). Maybe I should stop taking so many risks and just concentrate on not getting blown away by the super difficult patterns in this game.
>>
File: Touhou_Progress_chart.png (13KB, 400x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Touhou_Progress_chart.png
13KB, 400x1080px
I've been playing touhou games for a long time on and off, I got to the point where I could do 6-8 on hard comfortably and most of the later games on normal or hard up to 13. Recently started playing again trying to lunatic 1cc eosd and found myself getting too stressed out at the skill requirement. Someone gave me this handy chart so I took a break doing some normal mode alternative shot types and filling it in. It's been fun but I start getting overconfident and failing on Normal.
>>
File: 20160829204725.jpg (112KB, 640x572px) Image search: [Google]
20160829204725.jpg
112KB, 640x572px
>>
>>16225284
Just bomb. MoF gives you a lot of resources and getting power back is easy. Sure, it's not the optimal idea and you aren't learning anything (and you can't just bombspam the other games), but if your main goal for now is just getting that 1cc, go for it.
>>
File: asdasdasd.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
asdasdasd.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>play IN
>that's weird, this game is really generous with the extends
>the fight against reimu
>the fight against reisen
holy fuck,this is bad I'm new to the game but I'm starting to deathbomb at everything
>>
>>16227107
Reisen is like all gimmicks. Once you learn them, you'll beat her in your sleep.
>>
>>16227122
That applies to every touhou game tho and that was my 1st blind run at IN
>>
>>16227107
Against you'd think Reimu's supposed to be slow.

Turns out she's about 3 times faster than Marisa.

And about 3 times harder to fight.

Fucking Red Comet
>>
How does Reisen play in ULiL?
>>
File: The ride.jpg (618KB, 553x936px) Image search: [Google]
The ride.jpg
618KB, 553x936px
>>16227142
Lost my shit when she started to do akuma teleports, I might actually think that reimu is best touhou
>>
>>16227149
Yea that's the terrifying thing. Some of her non spells are effectively survival cards as she's zipping around so fast you can't have enough time on target to damage her fast enough to break it through

Like trying to fucking chase a ghost.
>>
File: 1478707537991.jpg (381KB, 1280x1408px) Image search: [Google]
1478707537991.jpg
381KB, 1280x1408px
>>16227107
Play Reimu then, her stage 4 boss is not hard at all
>>
>>16227200
>Some of her non spells are effectively survival cards
Unless you're Alice solo, only her second non-spell is truly hard to damage.

For her opening non-spell after the second part of the stage, she moves between the two spots the same way every time.
Evil Sealing Circle is a bitch, I feel no remorse bombing that.
Her second non-spell this time is the same as her opener, but with more familiars. Still, you should be able to move from side to side fast enough even focused so it's not any more difficult.

>>16227248
4B is harder to me, those tight non-spells sometimes get me even with Border team.
>>
>>16227387
It's more I'm very bad at guessing how much time I have to move and running Marisa/Alice team I'm pretty much in full focus mode in order to ignore the familiars so my mobility is extremely hampered and using Alice Solo amounts of firepower.
>>
Okay so some anons were giving me shit for having my first MoF 1CC with Marisa B (even though I didn't know about the glitch until after I did it) so I said "fuck it", loaded the game, picked Raymoo A, and straight up 1CC'ed it again in one go.

Still a better game than DDC or LoLK.
>>
File: Getting there.png (641KB, 656x518px) Image search: [Google]
Getting there.png
641KB, 656x518px
I've decided to 1CC all the Windows games in order, but SA has proven to be a roadblock to that.
Instead I'm taking a break with PCB, trying to capture the 60 spellcards needed to unlock Phantasm using only Normal mode and above spellcards.

So far I'm at 56/60, and I have all the Normal mode spellcards. For Hard mode I've got all the spellcards on stage 1-3 and all but Resurrection Butterfly on stage 6 (my best so far is getting hit once).
It's a lot of fun to play for spellcards rather than just survival, even just running through Hard mode with continues to unlock it for stage practice.
The last time I did a full Hard run I captured more spellcards than I did in my Normal 1CC with the same character.
>>
Well, getting a new high score of 50 million and to EoSD Stage 4 multiple times is progress.
>>
>>16224849
UFO is the beginning of the downward slide of touhou.
>>
>>16229000
SA was a huge roadblock for me too, and UFO isn't much easier so you can't really rely on temporarily skipping it. I think what you're doing should help, just keep playing the games and you'll improve.
>>
>>16224558
I hated UFO at first but now I think I have a Stockholm Syndrome attraction to it. I've gotten good enough at gathering the UFOs (on Normal) that I can max out my lives and bombs without too much issue.
>>
>>16229628
If you suck at the games, maybe.
>>
>>16229676
You don't have to take the whole "oh look at me, I'm so good at the games that my opinion is better than others" side of things.

That being said, I don't think UFO is where Touhou starts to get worse, but I don't particularly like the game either.
>>
>>16229628
LoLK is a step in the right direction, aside from pointdevice mode. Still, UFO was such a disappointment.
>>
>>16229713
LOLK was a mistake.

The last time they were remotely on the right track was fucking Ten Desires.

LOLK is having the proper mode being an after thought at best. It has no resources at all and is just fucking hideous to look at because it's gimmick forces it to be the least pretty Touhou game and makes it look like a fucking Cave game.

There is no beauty when the entire screen is covered in big bullets.
>>
>>16229798
>they
So the LoLK hater is actually a secondary. How surprising. Not.
>>
File: dat lucky.webm (3MB, 376x450px) Image search: [Google]
dat lucky.webm
3MB, 376x450px
>>16229798
there is NOTHING wrong with cave games
>>
>>16227107
That's pretty much every game. Shit gets real from stage 4 onwards.
>>
>>16227200
You can stream the ones where she moves at supersonic speeds. They really aren't that bad.
>>
>>16229838
>>16229798
I have no idea how you can like one franchise and dislike the other.
>>
>>16229838
They look fucking UGLY
>>
>>16229877
I don't do heavy grazing. I'm not precise enough Heavy evasion of flat out nullification of familiar shots are far more useful and reliable for me.
>>
>>16229823
He raises a legitimate point that pointdevice mode is a step backwards.
>>
>>16229938
You don't like it because you're such a shitposter =/= step backwards

At best it's a sidestep, since it's a very different way to play the game, hardly comparable to the regular approach.
>>
>>16229938
Remember "Legacy Mode" has no bomb pickups. Zun lazily just switched the drops from bomb pickups from PD to Life Fragements which combined with how tiny the windows are you get less resources than in EOSD with a game that's UFO hard.
>>
>>16230248
Agreeing with this, I feel like it makes you a better player since it requires you to actually learn difficult bits instead of just bombing every time you get to some part you aren't comfortable with
>>
>play 9th game on Normal because fun
>first 5 stages go by easy
>stage 6
>sakuya kicks my arse without hesitation
>die
>win after that
>chapter 7
>medicine does not fucking die
>die
>die
>lose
Reisen stop being shit
>>
>>16229838
Where is the game? That's just a huge clusterfuck
>>
File: get lucky.png (674KB, 639x480px) Image search: [Google]
get lucky.png
674KB, 639x480px
sasuga
>>
No game that takes inspiration from fucking IWBTG can be good. It's the law.
>>
>>16231340
Don't be stupid.
>>
I'm just starting to get into the series, have Bullet Ballet and have Wanderer on preorder. I know they are just spin-offs, but I figure it helps support western releases of the series.
As far as the main games go, which ones do you guys recommend? The only one I've played is HRtP.
>>
>>16231407
Honestly, all the games are worth playing in my opinion. If you're asking about starting points, EoSD, the first Windows game, is near-universally considered the best entry into the series. I personally started by playing the games in order from HRtP to LoLK, and found my experience pretty good from that (though I also have a much greater attachment to characters like Mima who will never ever appear again due to the retcon as a result), so you could also consider that route, but I would still recommend playing EoSD first.
>>
>>16231407
If you're buying the console games, I recommend Scarlet Curiosity as well. But you should probably start with EoSD and go from there.
>>
>>16230760
Reisen is actually breddy good man.
>>
>>16231407
Download all the games. If you find EoSD frustrating or get tired of it, try 7, 8, 10 and 13.
>>
>>16230264
>>16230710
are you guys legit retarded? You can max your lives in lolk at the beginning of the stage 2 boss, the reason the resource system is shit is because it feeds you way too many lives and the game turns into bombspamming for regular 1ccs aswell as scoring.
Even if you have to bomb for a lifepiece it's worth it because you only need 3 of them for a full life
>>
>>16232090
I'm pretty much doing this I just randomly play one if I get fed up on eosd, I play the other ones to practice weaving into bullets
>>
>>16232097
What are you on about, all I said was that point device mode was good because it forces you to actually play the game properly instead of using up resources to brute force the stages.
>>
>>16232233
oh I misinterpreted you then since you didn't directly mention pointdevice mode and the anon before you complained about low resources
>>
>>16232259
Well the guy I quoted was directly talking about point device mode, sorry if it wasn't obvious
>>
>>16232233
You can't reset and retry every section on a normal game.
The only thing you get good at is playing PD.

You should know this if you weren't stupid.
>>
>>16232330
You're the stupid one if you don't think practicing dodging spell cards without bombing or dying halfway through carries over to gaining skill at the game in general
>>
>>16232347
It's no different than just playing any other game.

Stop being so naive.
>>
>>16231448
ZUN did say in a recent interview that if there will be an occasion for Mima to return, she will. I'd say it's still better than early Windows era interviews, when he would just tell you "Please, don't care about the past".
I started playing with HrtP as well, but I was really bad and just jumped to IN, where I developed bad habits that took time to get rid of. I eventually managed to 1cc HrtP on both routes: once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun, it's a criminally underrated game.
>>
>>16232097
If you're crazy about grazing. I don't graze unless forced to. So I got like two life fragments by Stage 3.

>>16230710
Survival is key bombs let you survive.

PD is just effectively slamming your head into a wall until you break through the wall. It's the same stupid concept that made IWBTG so shit. It's not skill it's fucking rote memorization and that's not fun at all!
>>
>>16232418
I will admit it's not a mode about being 'fun', it's about playing the game as intended. Bombs basically exist as either 1) a way to avoid a death if youre quick enough or 2) let you skip bits you don't want to bother learning how to do correctly. Note I'm not entirely defending PDM and would rather it have been like the previous games, but I think it's interesting at least.
>>
>>16232418
Every game has memorization, you know. SA in particular.
>>
>>16232418

Touhou is almost entirely rote memorization, there may be random elements but all in all it's very much a "hit your head against it until you win" sort of game, especially on the harder games/difficulties
>>
>>16232446
See the entire thing is I view bombing as fine and actually something that SHOULD be encouraged.

Mistakes happen bomb out. They're your resources they exist to be used. Dying with bombs still in reserve is a mistake.

See the entire thing is Zun built the entire game around PDM and it suffers massively for it. The balance is completely off and combined with the other gimmick it falls into IWBTG's trap even harder.

It doesn't feel fun if you're forced to effectively be perfect else you're stuck in a loop.

Going through even on stuff like SA, I might burn a life due to a mistake but I keep going on and getting progress. I might have to bomb out of something, I still keep going. I'm not punished for being imperfect.

And the most insulting thing about PDM is that it's pretty much "Oh you cleared it? Guess what! Your character now is depowered and useless LOL!" which is a massive fuck you for slogging through that awful mode.
>>
>>16232503
>Touhou is almost entirely rote memorization

Is this a new hot meme? Never had to route anything other than GFW and LoLK

>it's very much a "hit your head against it until you win" sort of game

Again, this is not true unless you really suck at dodging. While there are some parts that require special attention you don't need to "force your way through" unless you simply suck at these games r are playing LoLK in legacy mode with Marisa.

>especially on the harder games/difficulties
I play on hard, this is only true for the Lunatic difficulty, pancho.
>>
>>16232515
I agree with this somewhat. I feel like if the legacy mode or whatever the other mode is called was actually properly balanced (which apparently it isnt) people wouldn't complain so much. I agree that bombing is an important part of the touhou experience, I just feel like this game is trying something new and it sort of works and sort of doesn't. For the record I haven't actually managed to beat it, mainly because I started pulling my hair out trying to get past a clownpiece card, so I understand your grievances.
>>
>>16232520

Even if you don't consciously route it's still memorization, you learn to get through spell cards by playing them over and over again until you have the muscle memory down and the patterns memorized. There's not real difference between that sort of thing and the memorization in something like IWBTG unless there's a significant rng factor and while there is rng in touhou it's still mostly memorization.
>>
>>16232515
You sound like you're just really mad to be honest, about LOLK and about IWBTG. Maybe you should stop being shit? Plenty of people enjoy both games just fine.
>>
>>16232532
to be fair, at the (low) level he's at it's possible to play without routes or memorization mostly (aside from autimatic memorization as you said)
>>
>>16232532
>Even if you don't consciously route it's still memorization, you learn to get through spell cards by playing them over and over again until you have the muscle memory down and the patterns memorized.

You seem to mistake pattern recognition with routing. People are able to make blind runs of these games. Even I have two blind runs and i'm not particulary good at these games.

>There's not real difference between that sort of thing and the memorization in something like IWBTG

I don't know if you are serious at this point to be honest.
>>
>>16232543
Why do you always jump out screaming "lol u mad cuz u bad"?

Can't other people criticize a game without being the best player ever?

I bet you are not even a good player.
>>
>>16232568

When your argument is "this is too hard for me to do without rote memorization and that makes me angry so it's a bad game" you literally are mad because you're bad.
>>
>>16232585
I'm not even that anon, I'm just sick watching you sperg out when people complain about an obvious flaw like Pointdevice mode.
>>
>>16232563
I'm not the same poster but I think what they meant was that learning spell cards and stages is an essential part of the STG process. Sure you CAN beat them, especially on normal, your first time through, but spending time memorizing bits and practicing is just part of the genre
>>
>>16232592
That's not what he meant, he literally said "Touhou is almost entirely rote memorization" and "it's very much a "hit your head against it until you win" sort of game" which is pretty fucking stupid to be honest.

Obviously you are not supossed to capture every spellcard in your first try, and failing to capture a spellcard doesn't meant death when bombs and deathbombing exists.

As i said before, even a low profile player can make blind runs and capture a lot of spellcards on the first try but only if you have your basics right and have the right approach.
PROTIP: Hitting your head against it until you win is not the right approach.
>>
>>16232618
>Hitting your head against it until you win is not the right approach
Which is why LoLK failed.
>>
>>16232624
Well, pointdevice mode sucked big time but i enjoyed playing Legacy mode and practicing single stages on it.
>>
>>16232618

People do blind runs because STGs are similar enough for memorization of the gameplay patterns of one to carry over to another. You've still memorized those gameplay patterns by doing it over and over again.
>>
>>16232618
>PROTIP: Hitting your head against it until you win is not the right approach.

But really that's why Point Device Mode teaches as how to play and that's a massive mistake. It's very similar to the Photography games as its the same kind of gameplay to advance.

You MUST clear perfectly or you are not allowed to continue which can lead to players having dozens of attempts at a single card which is just pure frustration.

>>16232524
The other mode has exactly ZERO bomb drops. It's only life fragment drops. And that's IF you get the graze requirement. For people who haven't purely memorized the spawns or are not extremely aggressive in grazing/streaming they get near zero life fragments and without any extra bombs the only way to gain bombs is death or a stage clear which will give you back to 2 bombs if you're under the limit.

It feels like Zun did 'Find and Replace' routine and switched bomb fragment for life fragment across the board without realizing the implications of what this does.

Eternally stranding a player against a wall which they can't break through is a very good way to turn the player off to a game.

It's why I kinda dislike the "Restart from beginning of stage" style of continues as it easily devolves into a loop and with many of those ones where you have that implemented you cannot access the stage for practice unless you beat it. You can see how this becomes a problem.

With "Continue at point of death" the player can keep going and learn more of what's ahead and if they should bomb out of a card that they cannot beat. This likely allows for an any credit clear by the player and knowledge of what they'll be seeing later on and by having every stage cleared once they can now access every one in practice and know who they need to work on instead of becoming stuck in that loop.
>>
>>16232656
>You've still memorized those gameplay patterns by doing it over and over again.

I already said that you don't need to memorize anything, again, don't mistake pure memorizing with pattern recognition.

And as i already said before, i'm not particulary good at these games nor do i practice them for hour every single day. I play ocasionally and the only other STGs that i play are shmups like gradius or parodius, games that are nothing like touhou.

>>16232658
>But really that's why Point Device Mode teaches as how to play and that's a massive mistake

In my opinion pointdevice doesn't teach you anything more than the mechanic of the pattern which is not nearly enough to capture it. Remember that there are other factors like reaction accuracy and slight RNG factor.
The only thing that will happen from repeathing the same pattern over and over and over is that your mind will end up tired, and after 30+ retries you'll become numb and do the same mistakes without learning anything.

>You MUST clear perfectly or you are not allowed to continue
You can always just use a bomb, thought it can backfire if you get stuck later on and don't have any left.
>>
I kinda don't understand all this talk about LoLK. People manage to make NMNB runs so it is still possible to dodge all the shit that game throws on you.
>>
>>16232747
It's no different than people complaining about the annoying mechanics like the UFOs.
>>
>>16232696
>In my opinion pointdevice doesn't teach you anything more than the mechanic of the pattern which is not nearly enough to capture it. Remember that there are other factors like reaction accuracy and slight RNG factor.
The only thing that will happen from repeathing the same pattern over and over and over is that your mind will end up tired, and after 30+ retries you'll become numb and do the same mistakes without learning anything.

And really that's a massive problem for such a mode. It throwing you into the exact position again and again without the option of abusing respawn bombs and respawn invulnerability to get through that spot.

Of course with bombs becoming more and more useless (Master Spark's been nerfed into the ground so hard that Reimu often seems to have more damaging bombs) they seem to be rarely helpful.

But with Zun having used PD to justify effectively starting at a Stage 3 boss it means that the intended route IS to push yourself to that 30+ retries. You can't even change scenes like in the photography games when you hit the wall in order to see something else so you avoid that numbness.

>And as i already said before, i'm not particulary good at these games nor do i practice them for hour every single day. I play ocasionally and the only other STGs that i play are shmups like gradius or parodius, games that are nothing like touhou.

I hear you on that front. The last main Touhou game I picked up and had fun with right off the bat was Ten Desires because it was what you needed after the absurd difficulty spike that was UFO even after the rather nasty SA.

SA had something that gave me a goal to get through. LOLK really feels like with Point Device that it's less "Oh yes I'm to the next stage" and more like "How many tries am I going to need to clear this?"

Combining this with punishing players who don't actively graze/stream is also incredibly frustrating to players who don't live for graze focused games.
>>
On a different topic, how do all of you cope with failed attempts? Usually after my first failure of the play session I find myself dying on stupid stuff over and over in stage 1/2 until I get bored and frustrated and have to stop. I know some people can just laugh it off but I really can't handle losing good runs to brain dead deaths.
>>
>>16232779
I accept that my first run is likely to have something stupid happening early on like crashing into fairies or something.

Run 2 is my good run.

I can't keep the focus after a long run which usually either ends with my stupidity, like randomly dodging into a shot when I'm wanting to go the opposite direction or just hitting something I can't figure out.

I pretty much stopped playing PCB after game over with 0 seconds on the clock for reflowering. It just was just so bullshit as there was Zero (0) seconds left on the card. Similar with dying on the slowdown after beating Okuu. The slowdown effectively drives you directly into a bullet because you're still counteracting the regular rate of attraction while the slowdown effectively is making you over reverse/evade

Still after the one 'good' run for the day I'm toast as my mind's gone and I'm too frustrated to try again.

It's also why I might play maybe twice a week if I'm pushing it because it's just tiring to fail in that.
>>
>>16232409
>ZUN did say in a recent interview that if there will be an occasion for Mima to return, she will.

While that is a pretty nice thing for him to say compared to the past, I'm still skeptical because ZUN might just be setting up false hope in the fans, like how he made Alice the Stage 3 boss in PCB to give people the hope that more PC-98 characters would trickle in and then proceded to never add another PC-98 character again besides Yuuka in PoFV.
>>
>>16232779
Almost none of my runs make it past Stage 2 before I reset. The ones that do tend to be the ones where I get to the final boss, usually the last couple spellcards, and I only reset after that point if I fuck up really hard like dying twice to a Stage 3/4 boss without bombing (and even then that depends on the game, something like UFO is resource-heavy enough that you can still max out your life counter after being hit by that).

Usually what causes me to end my play session is noticing what time it is and forcing myself to stop because I've been playing for more than an hour. I could honestly grind against Touhou all day. In something like StB I sometimes don't even stop after something like that because you're dealing with individual cards and I can convince myself that I'm SO close to clearing it that I should just push on a little more, and that kind of game is what makes me actually get frustrated enough to rage quit after 2-3 hours.
>>
>>16232779
blog on /jp/ with like "XD" or something
>>
>>16231340
That AVGN game was good though
>>
>>16232365
So then there is literally nothing wrong with PD.

Duly noted, miss shitposter.
>>
>>16233779
Being a butthurt sissy is not an argument.
>>
File: 1477028040679.png (294KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1477028040679.png
294KB, 600x600px
Dying when you can hear that the boss is in very low HP is suffering
>>
>>16232779
Don't play for the clear, play for the dodges.
>>
>>16233220
What he intended to do (how fans interpreted it is another question) in PCB was putting a PC-98 character to make fans think she was plot relevant, when she was not. I do think Mima is probably the PC98 character with the highest chance of comeback. Others...not so much.
>>16233494
I never finished IWBTG (I think my PC had some compatibility issues as well), but I finished AVGN adventures and they play quite different. The former is all trial and error, the second one was a fair game: it had falling blocks, death spikes and everything, but the game does give you time to react.
>>
>>16233798
So you acknowledge that, yet you don't give any arguments.
>>
>>16234123
acknowledge what? That you are still butthurt over people criticising your precious kuso game?
>>
>>16234184
>still no argument
>>
I just noticed if you get really close to lily white, she dies before shooting any bullets. Is there damage falloff in all touhou games or is it a special case for PoFV?
>>
>>16234271
see
>>16234271
>>
>>16234367
I guess you give up, then.
>>
File: th036.png (737KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
th036.png
737KB, 640x480px
So today I discovered that immediately killing the fairy that spawns after the midboss in Stage B-1 causes another to spawn, with seemingly a max of five fairies appearing before the next wave. I feel stupid for not trying this earlier, but now I managed to break the record for motivation I had set for myself on the first stage of the A routes (highest on A-1 was 535% according to my screenshots).

And I wasn't even playing to my full potential, I took a few safe spots during the Stage 1 boss to avoid needlessly dying. I might have been able to squeeze out an extra 20%, maybe even 30%, if I played completely reckless and didn't die as a result. I think I might actually be able to 1cc GFW without too much issue this time, maybe even within a week from now if I don't lose the ability to practice because of finals.
>>
>>16233873
Dying after defeating the boss is infinitely worse.
>>
File: 1468709810345.png (131KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1468709810345.png
131KB, 500x500px
>>16234536
And then I had to reset the run with that screenshot because I died seven times to the Stage 2 boss. I apologize for bragging, it made me too prideful and I played poorly as a result. I'm not going to get a 1cc for at least three months.
>>
>>16234556
Not if the game gives you immunity like IN does. Dying when you hear that sound in IN is the equivalent of what you said sir.
>>
File: 1421695943778.png (155KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1421695943778.png
155KB, 500x500px
>>16234520
Nah, after all, I have infinite retries.
>>
>>16234536
>>16234573
Why not just dodge?
>>
File: 1404753932.png (131KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1404753932.png
131KB, 400x400px
>>16234601
Thanks for playing, but you already lost.
>>
File: 1403859362.jpg (44KB, 238x323px) Image search: [Google]
1403859362.jpg
44KB, 238x323px
>>16234707
It's not about winning or losing
It's about having fun
>>
>>16234629
If I could dodge I wouldn't need to grind out motivation in the first place.
>>
I need some help figuring out how to play PoFV with a friend of mine. I'm using 8.1 and they're using 7, both of us on adonis (without the e, my friend can't use adonise). Apparently when they put in my IP and port it closes for them. Not sure if it's my side or theirs, but does anyone know how to get it to work?
>>
>>16234707
>>16234744

still though now that you've read this post you have lost the game
>>
>>16235757
Sounds like it's not a port forwarding problem. I don't ever remember playing pofv with Adonis, but Adonis2 works for me, so maybe try that?
>>
Is there a reason that EoSD easy mode is the only game to stop you playing Stage 6?
>>
>>16237173
Remi is too cute for easy modo.
>>
I wanted to go further in SA and try to get the stage 5 and 6 for Marisa/Nitori in practice mode.

I ended up 1CCing the game. With a character I've barely played. Again.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

Btw, Nitori's bomb is amazing for Okuu's last spellcard.
>>
File: Summary.png (11KB, 400x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Summary.png
11KB, 400x1080px
>>16237884
So, so far, this is me. Noob/20.
>>
>>16234556
It's worse when you have it being the last life you have on the final boss while denying you a 1CC.

Okuu and Yuyuko have gotten both of me.

>>16237173
Zun went with some of those weird old style rules where Easy gets you an incomplete game.

Thankfully after that he realized that was stupid.
>>
>>16238022
The only stupid thing here is playing on Easy to begin with. It doesn't teach you anything and you can't even access the EX stage.
>>
>>16238034
>The only stupid thing here is playing on Easy to begin with.

Could have fooled me.

But here's your (You).
>>
>>16238043
Are you an easy mode player?
>>
>>16238055
The same logic can be used to justify that the only difficulty you should play is lunatic as 'hard doesn't teach you anything'

And what if I am?
>>
>>16238068
No, every difficulty from Normal onwards teaches you something. There's a reason why the only difficulty ZUN discourages in his menu descriptions is Easy.
And again, you can't unlock the Extra Stage, which is slightly below Hard, so even if you could unlock it on Easy (I think IN actually does that?), you'd be incredibly unprepared.
>>
>>16238068
Well. Unlike easy, hard is actually hard gives you proper 1cc so yeah.
>>
File: progress.png (151KB, 1475x783px) Image search: [Google]
progress.png
151KB, 1475x783px
>>16238034
No, playing on Easy to start off the series isn't stupid. A lot of high-level players even started off on Easy. I myself started off with a UFO Easy 1cc.

The only stupid thing here is to judge others for that nonsense.
>>
>>16238109
I started on Easy as well. To be precise, IN, Easy mode, Border Team: literally IOSYS tier. But I definetly can't say this helped me: I developed a lot of bad habits and even IN Normal looked impossible to me. I had to go back to square one and try to 1cc IN on Normal, which I did...only to find out every other game was harder. And all the bad habits would still linger.
I'm not a superplayer now, but I did some Hard 1ccs and every Windows EX (sans Nue and GFW Marisa) and, looking back, putting a little more effort in the beginning by starting on Normal in a game that isn't IN would have helped me a lot more in the long run.
>>
>>16238148
Now I don't remember too well about how my attempts at 1ccing UFO Normal for the first time went, but know that it was a little bit of a struggle. I don't think it took me very long to finish it up, however. I was interested in learning the UFO mechanics beforehand in depth, so I scored a bit in Easy before moving up (got 500m+ in the mode before going up to Normal). I feel that's why I adjusted to Normal fairly quickly.

You're right about that. IN Easy is a pretty pathetic mode, but at least you're 1ccing Hards at this point now. As I always say: It's not about where you start off. The important thing is where you end up.
>>
>>16238103
>There's a reason why the only difficulty ZUN discourages in his menu descriptions is Easy
He discourages lunatic. He encourages easy if you are new
>>
>>16238148
I'd rather build the confidence there in IN E than just start on Normal anywhere else. Because trying on Normal elsewhere would just discourage me to the point of not bothering as it'd be impossible.

Still no clue what you mean about "Bad Habits" either.
>>
>>16238527
Not him but a bad habit I usually get after playing some IN is the 30/f deathbomb. Other than that, I don't see any problem with it, it's not like it is as easy as PCB or MoF neither
>>
>>16238473
From SA Easy: "A difficulty level that makes you sleepier if you play it when you're sleepy. Keep practicing so people don't make fun of you."; from GFW Easy: "Super easy. Don't make fun of me!"; from DDC Easy: "For those bad at shooting games, and for rehabilitation".
>>16238527
The problem with acquiring confidence in something like IN Easy is that it won't be enough for the rest of the games. Difficulty varies a lot depending on the game (for example, the general opinion is that E/N SA is harder than E/N UFO, but H/L SA is easier than H/L UFO) and I still remember losing at Parsee or getting forever stuck at Yuugi on Normal just after I had 1cc'ed IN on Normal.
And for the "incomplete game" thing, you still don't get to play the EX Stage, which is already hard for someone playing on Normal. I'm telling you this because when I started nobody ever told me "Hey anon, you might not want to start from the easiest game on the easiest settings, the passage to the other games on other difficulties will be traumatic, you better get soon accustomed to Normal at least" and I had eventually to forcefully adapt myself to stuff like EoSD Normal, which isn't even a difficult game, I don't want to force anyone. Just my two cents.
>>16238629
It's not just the longer deathbomb window, it's getting used to a level of difficulty which isn't representative of the series. Also, I definetly find PCB harder than IN (though still easy) and so MoF, but only for Kanako.
>>
>>16238710
IN only becomes easier if than those if you use border team and just barely, while every shot on PCB is good and make the game easy in one way or another. MoF is just easy
>>
File: dope.png (785KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dope.png
785KB, 640x480px
fucking kek, the resource system in DDC is broken as fuck, this is a shitfest, but at least it is not a boring shitfest like UFOs
>>
File: gitgud.gif (1MB, 270x235px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.gif
1MB, 270x235px
>>16238821
>normal
>>
>>16239124
Not him but don't bully. Everyone is a scrub when they start, and gitting gud takes time.
>>
>>16239135
Maybe he shouldn't call a game broken before gitting gud
>>
File: 44756.jpg (26KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
44756.jpg
26KB, 403x403px
>>16239124
>tfw got savage'd anyways
>>
>>16239143
Don't be an idiot, the resource system with MariA is even more broken on higher difficulties.

Also good is relative.
>>
there's no point playing easy mode
you're not improving when there's no bullets
>>
>>16239160
I'm not an idiot who calls a game broken by playing on normal
>>
>>16239168
This
>>
There's no point in not scoring. You're not improving when not trying to aggressively graze/poc.
>>
File: 1465484714321.jpg (107KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1465484714321.jpg
107KB, 1000x1000px
>>16239169
What the hell.
Lunatic isn't all there is, normal is the first mode played by most players, if anything is when the game is gonna be judged so it is important that it is indeed fully functional. How far is your head up your ass to not understand this? Disregarding lower difficulties only because you or a handful of people play on the higher ones is fucking retarded.
>>
>>16239211
Are you actually stupid or just pretending?
If you find the game too easy, then you have to raise the difficulty. You can't just play EoSD on easy and then complain that the game is "broken", that's just retarded.
>>
>>16239204
How much does graze boost your score in games like EoSD where there isn't a huge graze-related gimmick?
>>
File: bitch.png (2MB, 958x708px) Image search: [Google]
bitch.png
2MB, 958x708px
this bitch is out of her goddamn mind
shes a lowly second stage boss this stupid floppy eared bitch who the fuck does she think she is pulling some crazy shit like this, fuck this bitch i hate her
>>
>>16239222
Graze increases the star item value, with enough graze some bullet cancels go up to 15 million. And then there's the bomb glitch of course which also takes advantage of graze because yet again star items.
>>
>>16239222
But EoSD scoring is primarily based around graze (and cancels). I have little knowledge about EoSD but if you didn't graze at all, maybe the most score you could get would be like 350m or something compared to a ~720m potential.

I could go through all the windows games and give my best guess as to how much of the score is from graze, but in all of them that actually have some form of proper graze (ie, not MoF or fairy wars) aside from maybe TD, graze is a big chunk of score, maybe like 20-50% of it. Probably even more for SA.

So basically what I'm saying is that they're all based around graze except for when they clearly aren't. Also, in some cases grazing won't give you much score unless you do other things too (borders in PCB and human/youkai gauge in IN when not in spellcards).
>>
>>16239259
I swear, I'm the only one who likes popcorn bullets.
Fuck her Futo/Orin-like non spells though.
>>
>>16239355
>>16239362
I have greatly underestimated graze. I suppose I should do it more than I currently am, then. I think the most I've ever grazed is GFW despite it not having a score benefit, since it charges your freeze much faster.
>>
I've 1cc'd 2 of the games on normal, will I learn about things like scoring and being able to play on harder modes on my own or will I learn through other peoples replays and guides?
>>
>>16239204
>score
>dont improve
what now
>>
>>16239597
You can do it by yourself in harder difficulties, but I would suggest replays for scoring or if you get stuck, no shame in that if you really need it.
>>
>>16235757
I figured out what the text is when adonis closes.
>Applictaion failed to play.
>Failed to communicate.
Is there any way to get this to work? (Client side error)
>>
>>16229838
Adolescence is admiring CAVE
Adulthood is realizing Psikyo made so much more sense
>>
>>16239661
You're just not Jap enough
>>
>make it to prismriver sisters without losing any lives
>start stage 5 with one life left
I'll never get that 1cc.
>>
>>16231019
Either Dodonpatchi or one of its sequels
>>
>>16240096

That's Daifukkatsu original DonPachi&DoDonPachi were nothing like that.
>>
>>16240039
Remember that the sister you start with changes depending on the shot type you play, as does who you face after the mid point spell card where you fight all three, depending on which one you eliminate.
>>
File: th14_000.png (672KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
th14_000.png
672KB, 640x480px
ALRIGHT, THERE IS NO WAY TO LOSE AGAINST YOU NOW MINI SLUT
>>
>>16240812
There still is if you choke horribly
>>
File: 1467629114648.jpg (112KB, 422x600px) Image search: [Google]
1467629114648.jpg
112KB, 422x600px
>>16240850
shut up
>>
File: 1469595454510.jpg (147KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1469595454510.jpg
147KB, 800x800px
>>16240850
This, don't choke anon.
You can do it, I believe in you!!
>>
About DDC and Seija's last card (The screen rotation one) Is is always clockwise or does it vary? Because it's a card I can't figure out at all.

It feels like bomb or die there as the speed spike and the wall.

Of course it doesn't help that DDC's my 3rd least liked game because of it's gimmick and also lackluster bosses, soundtrack and Seija.

CupGirl is cute but her survival card is stupid. Why do you give non EX bosses Survival cards?

Okuu was fine without the time wasting of an Survival Card.
>>
File: th14_08 MarisaB 1cc Normal.png (629KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
th14_08 MarisaB 1cc Normal.png
629KB, 640x480px
>>16241009
Well, I did choke a bit when you grow big, but got her regardless.
I'm starting to appreciate a lot more DDC, the way you get your resources makes it a lot more dynamic and fun to play
>>
>>16234536
>break it again at 551%
>die to stupid shit immediately on Stage 2 and have to restart
>break it again at 554%
>die to stupid shit slightly after the previous point I died at on Stage 2 and have to restart

Why must my small victories be followed by large failures?
>>
>>16241358
Because you get cocky instead of focusing on the game
>>
I just realized my copy of the PC98 games, at least touhou 02, has save data already. Does anyone know how to clear that? The game is just a single .hdi file so I'm not sure what to do.
>>
>>16240039
Dude what. Prismrivers aren't nearly as hard as people say. If anything, they are a fucking breather compared to bosses like IN's stage 4 bosses. Just fucking stream and try to stay on one of the edges of the whirlwind during the last spellcard.
>>
File: 43206028_p0.png (3KB, 164x137px) Image search: [Google]
43206028_p0.png
3KB, 164x137px
>>16241034
>it's gimmick, bosses, soundtrack and Seija
That's literally the reason why it's my favourite.
>>
File: 1469049093844.png (59KB, 204x199px) Image search: [Google]
1469049093844.png
59KB, 204x199px
>>16241229
>Well, I did choke a bit when you grow big, but got her regardless.
Not really your fault, since Marisa's hitbox is fat as fuck during that spell.
Anyway, congrats man on your 1cc!
>>
>>16242461
BUt what about that last card.

Thing is with Seija is her character design is neat. Her outfit is awesome with her thematically.

Problem is her fight is just bad. It's one of those fights that Zun really mailed it in with and instead of doing shots doing flip arounds and some crazy zigzagging shots with them flipping you just get control screw x2 and then a photography game card.
>>
File: 60300698_p0.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
60300698_p0.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>16242885
pnƃ ʇıƃ
>>
>>16242899
Does it always turn the shots clockwise? I need to know since it'll let me figure it out.

Else it's just LOL BOMB.

Too bad that game has like no resources
>>
>>16242763
Thank you man
>>
>>16243018
>Too bad that game has like no resources
Dude what? see >>16238821
>>
>>16244063
>normal
>>
>>16244070
Yes and?
>>
File: 1465211728951.gif (96KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1465211728951.gif
96KB, 150x150px
From struggling to get a 1cc in normal to just getting one in my first go in hard.. gensokyo sure is a magical place huh
>>
Is it possible to play 14.5 on an european PS4? I want to play through the exclusive content but I'd have to get the PS4 from my parent's place and before I go through the hassle I have to know if I can even play/buy it from Europe.
>>
>>16244805

Yes anon, I also bought it and I have a european PS4, it should be region free. Mine hasn't arrived yet but on play asia it says it should work on every ps4
>>
>>16244805
Region locking is usually only done to prevent reverse importing, and given that it's only out in one region there is no reason to.
I doubt it's locked.
>>
>>16242885
I'm a shitter who plays on Normal so maybe it overtakes the others on higher difficulties, but Seija's last card is her easiest for me. The ones that only flip one axis give me more trouble. For her last card, you just need to rely on muscle memory.
>>
>>16242216
I guess after beating Alice you expect something just a little bit harder.
>>
Me again, just asking out of curiosity because it's something I heard, apparently when you use the PS4 record function to record the endings for ULiL there is no sound and a watermark, is that true? Maybe it's just a lie but I'd like to know.
>>
>>16245250
It might be related to this.
>Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida mentioned that the Share button can be disabled by developers that don't want certain parts of the game to be captured.

>"There will be parts of a game that the maker does not want people to be able to see," Yoshida said. "For example, on Vita, developers can in certain scenes disable the feature that lets users take a screenshot, and [the Share function on PS4] will have a similar mechanism. The creator may not want to make video of the final boss shareable, for instance."
>>
>>16245250

There's a antispoiler function in the recording function, so when you record it the record stops and the spectators only see some logo
Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcAu1lU6vog 50:18
>>
>>16245278
>>16245281
Thanks. I am really reconsidering importing the game because it's like 50€ and I don't even speak Japanese but I am a huge sucker for Touhou lore. I know it's against protocol but can I see the ending anywhere and is there a translation of it? I already read the dialogue on the Wiki and I feel really bad about missing out on Reisen's story and I hear it's supposed to be the prologue for Antinomy of Common Flowers. Appreciate it, thanks.
>>
>>16245329

Yeah I know what you mean, I also bought it even though I don't speak japanese.
Heres a video where you can see the ending :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pU3CFKNO-A&t=912s

There's a short summary on the shrinemaiden forum for it
>>
>>16240104
My bad. The only one I played extensively was Ketsui
>>
>>16245342
Thanks, if anyone got a full translation though I'd be even more eternally grateful.
>>
File: 124_002.gif (4KB, 78x76px) Image search: [Google]
124_002.gif
4KB, 78x76px
>>16245350

https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,19341.msg1302360.html#msg1302360

https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,19341.msg1302801.html#msg1302801
>>
>>16245399
Thanks somebody linked a transcript on that site.

http://pastebin.com/reDR7L5t

I wonder if anyone can translate the ending part . . .
>>
I started playing again after a month and a half. I'm working toward my first lunatic 1cc. I just got to stage 5 in EoSD for the first time. I know I got a long ways to go yet. I don't know. Feels good to play again.
>>
>>16249314
Let's work for it together anon, I recently got to stage 5 in my lunatic runs as well. I'm doing it on IN though
>>
>>16249355
Nice. Let's beat them.
>>
I have got a question
I noticed that sometimes after death bombing on IN, your character autofocuses for a while. Does this invalidate a NF run?
>>
>>16250939
If it can't be helped I don't think it should.
It's like saying you can't have a no damage run in DMC because there's that part with the life depletion.
>>
>>16244063
I ride the bottom of the screen and don't play Marisa without Master Spark

Being pretty much forced to ride the POC in scenarios when at full power is not right in my head. Also leads to far too many deaths to sunflower fairies flying in.

It's a lame gimmick and makes me wish I had more Spirits to slurp up in Ten Desires.

Which was the last good Touhou game.
>>
>>16245329
And this is what Tasfro is wanting.

You're getting massively cucked man.

Don't support the game.
>>
>>16251008
>Being pretty much forced to ride the POC in scenarios when at full power is not right in my head
Yeah I hated that too, but now I realize it can lead to many exciting situations and it improves a lot your unfocused movement.
>>
>>16250979
ah, good because HOLY FUCK I ACTUALLY GOT IT
>>
>>16250939
You mean, the characters moves slower during the bomb? Because that's what's supposed to happen for a few of them and shouldn't invalidate your run.
>>
>>16251164
Not only they slow down but you can actually see the bubble. But yeah, it is gone before the invincibility ends so it shouldn't matter
>>
>>16251055
Yea I don't play for 'Exciting Situations' Playing safe and winning is what I'd want.

And really the 'Exciting situations' belong only with bosses. And then only do the post busting loop in Ten Desires to slurp up spirits then flee.

It's also why I hate LOLK (even though that game is shit for many other reasons) and its' gimmick forcing you to aggressively graze or get nothing.
>>
>>16251183

>Yea I don't play for 'Exciting Situations' Playing safe and winning is what I'd want.

So you only play touhou for your own ego? No wonder you hate LOLK.
>>
File: 1447326989612.png (109KB, 247x244px) Image search: [Google]
1447326989612.png
109KB, 247x244px
>>16251008
>Ten Desires.
>Which was the last good Touhou game.
>>
File: 1478989984547.png (64KB, 182x216px) Image search: [Google]
1478989984547.png
64KB, 182x216px
>>16251183
Well that's fine too, you don't really need to clear all games anyways, you can always get better at TD.
About Seija's card, just gave it a go in spell practice (just noticed this game has that too)
Apparently the first barrage is always the same (clockwise) but then I got the others to vary in my fucking 23 attempts to capture it.
Check the replay if you are interested
http://threplays.appspot.com/replay_files/5692331952963584
>>
>>16251277
If going for 1cc without being a scorefag is ego then It's Ego.

>>16251301
Considering that LOLK is an ugly as fuck game with a mediocre at best soundtrack?
Along with how mailed in DDC felt? Yea Ten Desires is the last good Touhou by default. Unless you're going back to Subterranean Animism being the last good one as UFO was trash

>>16251304
The biggest problem with spell practice is I notice is that I play noticably different in those compared to coming in live.

It's why I've had cases where I get in from practice runs and have it set and when I come in on a full run I crash and burn even through practice runs I'm perfectly fine.

I'm still working on TD Normal clear after getting a SA-E Reimu A clear and burning out on trying to get a SA-N Reimu A clear (and spectacularly flaming out on IN-N Malice team against Reimu).
I cannot face Satori down even on practice as the amount of lives lost on the best run is still more than if I perfected up to that point and collected all the life fragments. Since I just don't really do spiral patterns good.
>>
I have reflexes of cheese how do I beat the game
>>
File: 1462216238031.png (115KB, 323x201px) Image search: [Google]
1462216238031.png
115KB, 323x201px
>>16251350
>DDC
>Not Great
>>
>>16251363
Unless you're playing PoDD on lunatic, reflexes probably aren't your problem.
>>
>>16251277
That pretty much explains all the hate LoLK hates.
>>
>>16251382
Or *gets, rather.
>>
>>16251375
The other problem I have that my eyes are not coordinating well with my hand for example if some huge ass wave of bullets come and my brain don't have answer to it i just press left and probably die

Maybe its assburgers
>>
>>16251402

It's like that for everyone at first you've just gotta keep playing and your brain will get used to it
>>
>>16251375
Oops I'm an idiot. I read reflexes as reaction time.

>>16251402
These games make me feel retarded all the time and I've played them a lot. Don't worry about it too much.
>>
>>16251408
>>16251413
So I'm not getting better in just getting used to it
>>
>>16251455

Getting used to it is just a part of getting better, you learn to process the waves of bullets and not freak out/die.
>>
>>16251183
Why don't you just play on easy if you prefer safety over excitement?
>>
File: alice is dicks.png (431KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
alice is dicks.png
431KB, 640x480px
9 stage run of IN Lunatic with Alice solo. I choked on practically half the run because of lack of practice.

Garbage shottype, would not recommend.
>>
>>16252821
>9 stage run
Is that some sort of mod? I can count nine stages but I didn't know it was possible to take the alternate Stage 4 route if your shottype didn't encounter it.
>>
>>16252841
It's a somewhat old patch from MotK. Google it.

You do 4A/4B and 6A/6B back to back and Extra after 6B.
>>
>>16251371
DDC has some problems like, bombspaming for score and the control reversing spellcards but it was a pretty challenging game if you dont use bombs.
>>
>>16252984
I actually didn't find Seija that bad. The controls reversing was a little confusing, yes, but it was kind of made up for by the fact that the bullets were kind of light. Really not that bad at all for a stage 5 boss. For ease, I'll take her over most stage 5 bosses.
>>
How do you guys practice? I usually just play through until all my continues are used up but it kind of sucks, once i lose the first time my focus is gone.

I think watching other people play would help but thats sort of cheating you know? Touhou is basically a puzzle game, i dont want someone to spoil the best way to solve a spellcard until i can at least capture it.
>>
>>16253094
Spell and stage practice will probably help you. It's not cheating to use an unlocker to practice them, if you ask me, since you're not actually playing the game the normal way. I know the feeling about losing a continue, though. Often times I'll say fuck it and give up if I reach my second continue.

I wouldn't say it's a puzzle game, though. Yeah, there are better ways to deal with certain spell cards, and it helps to figure that out, but knowing how to move and dodge, precision in movement, ability to read bullets, spatial awareness, etc. are by and far more important.
>>
>>16253126
I dont think ive ever actually tried stage practice, il give it a shot. I try not to give up because i have fun for the most part, its just disheartening knowing i wont see a good end yet again.

Like im playing through EoSD and can more or less get to patchy without a continue, its about 50/50 of i beat her or not but sakuyas first spell card, misdirection i think? I have never captured. I either bomb it or use a continue. I think the best way is to fly to the side she appears at and not get hit but shoot them and dont get hit is literally the strategy for everything
>>
>>16250939
>>16251164
>>16251172
You're getting hit while unfocused (Human) and then deathbomb, which triggers the focused Last Spell (Youkai). Just the same, if you deathbomb while focused you trigger the unfocused Last Spell instead and are locked into unfocus movement. It's just how it works.

>>16251018
it wasn't even their idea to add new content you utter scrub
>>
>>16252016
Who says I don't?
>>
>>16253170
>You're getting hit while unfocused (Human) and then deathbomb, which triggers the focused Last Spell (Youkai). Just the same, if you deathbomb while focused you trigger the unfocused Last Spell instead and are locked into unfocus movement. It's just how it works.
I know that, it has nothing to do with the question.
Also, I'm playing solo.
>>
Hisoutensoku has no bad endings right?
>>
I've now hit the point where I can't even play through Stage 2 of GFW without dying 4+ times, regardless of whether I have a good run on Stage 1 or not. I hit psychological walls like this all the time and never know what to do about them. It's not a matter of practice because I could get through at least the stage portion of Stage 2 without dying at all just fine before. Any advice other than "stop playing Great Fairy Wars?"
>>
>>16252821
congrats on the wr you jap
>>
>>16255618
Play another game other than GFW simultaneously?
>>
>>16255025
>it has nothing to do with the question
I thought the question was about why that happens, my bad.

(And it still happens when playing solo just because that's how it was programmed and no exceptions were made; having the Last Spell forcibly switch between Human/Youkai is just the rationale)
>>
File: 1478449513740.png (84KB, 154x253px) Image search: [Google]
1478449513740.png
84KB, 154x253px
>Try to 1cc PCB
>Choose SakuyaB because easy
>Get full lives on Stage 4
>Lose near the start of 30% Reflowering
>Cry as my skill wasn't good enough
So that's how Touhou went for me today. My main problem is Youmu, her attacks are a bit tricky to read.
>>
>>16257439
Who were you quoting tho
>>
>>16257439
Bomb more.
>>
>>16257439
You do use the borders to clear the screen right?
I thought SakuyaA was the "easy choice" in that game btw. Give ReimuA a go as well, she made that cc posible to me when I was having a hard time.
>>
File: th042.png (741KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
th042.png
741KB, 640x480px
I keep breaking personal motivation records on Stage 1 but I am unable to motivate myself enough to stop choking immediately after Stage 1 ends. Fuck me.

>>16257133
I am, but all the other games I'm playing are either similarly hard or make me want to pull my hair out for other reasons (like Pokémon Sun and Moon's cutscenes; that game should be my relaxation due to how casual it is but I get angrier while playing it than I do playing Touhou because of the cutscene saturation). Plus it's finals week so I'm just stressed in general, vidya or no vidya.
>>
>>16258107
Something I don't understand about this game is how I can sometimes perform the exact same actions, freeze the same fairies with about the same ice area in the same spot, and get a sizeable difference in motivation by several percent. It even happens during bosses. Is there something beyond those things that contributes to motivation gained from ice damage?
>>
>>16258274
It's based off of how many stage faries you kill with your ice or how much of a boss your ice covers (which is also related to damage dealt). You can get up to 10% motivation from a freeze.

Just checking (and you probably already know this), but you know about >= 30% freezes giving 20% PF right?
>>
>>16258324
>It's based off of how many stage faries you kill with your ice
I don't believe this is all there is to it because, like I said, I can kill the same number of fairies in the same section and get different results, or kill two fairies one at a time and get more motivation than if I killed them in one freeze.

And I did know about that, but thank you for the ice anyway.
>>
>>16258334
Might be the area around each stage fairy that you kill/damage with your ice then too, I dunno. Fractions of a percent could be involved as well.

It could bump up the lives you get from 21 to 22 but I doubt it.
>>
File: crying baka.png (119KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
crying baka.png
119KB, 251x251px
>>16258475
You can get 21 lives in GFW? Damn, I really am not playing poorly if I'm incapable of hitting 1000% in a game with 21 possible lives.
>>
File: PCBENF.png (714KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PCBENF.png
714KB, 1920x1080px
>Do a successful PCB extra NB
>Decide to do a no focus run for the hell of it
>Clear on the first attempt
>>
>>16258488
Well it's possible to get that much motivation in a run, but I think it involves spending some of it on suicides for extra freezes on bosses and more PF to use on places like the stage 3 knife/fireball grids.

Still a lot of lives without that stuff.
>>
>>16253081
Seija was wasted potencial.
Instead of the control reversing ZUN could have created spellcards more original, like a spellcard where you have to stay on the bullets to survive.

>>16258107
I recommend doing small breaks between runs and breathing deeply when you start feeling nervous, also try to concentrate on the game as much as you can.
>>
Do 1ccs get easier after your first one? Im struggling alot with stage 5 in EoSD playing reimu b. Does it just "click" or am going to keep struggling
>>
>>16258828
I needed a long time to get my first EoSD 1cc but after I got it with Reimu A I did not need more than one try with every other shot type. I do think there is a bit of a click.
>>
>>16258852
Thats good to here. Im not very good obviously but i was really nt looming forward to learning how to play as marissa.

Do you think reimu A is easier? Ive played a bit with her but never got past patchy
>>
>>16258883
Homing Reimu lets you concentrate more on dodging than on shooting so it can be helpful but the reason I always failed was because I didn't utilize bombs correctly. You don't have to be capable of dodging everything. I find you can fuck up quite a bit if you know where you can score a lot for extra lives, defeat enemies before they shoot and just bomb where it gets really hard or you feel pressured. You won't get any world records like that but all is OK for your first 1cc. A lot of Touhou is indeed skill, but I'd argue memorization is just as important. Make use of the practice mode, learn patterns and try to position yourself in spots you can kill enemies before they shoot. Also I find Patchy to be indeed harder than Sakuya, kind of the case for a lot of Touhou games that the state 4 boss is harder than stage 5.
>>
>>16258937
Bombing more would probably help a lot. I dont really like using them so i die more than i should. I guess a wasted bomb is better than losing a life for right now.
>>
>>16259010
Never die with bombs but try not to waste them.
>>
>>16258663
Yea Seija and to a lesser extent Shinmyoumaru felt like wasted potential.

Shinmyourmaru had too many times where her health was just too damn high even for a final boss even in nonspells due to the cup no selling damage for so long. And "YOU GROW LARGER" just felt really cheap and lame, but all survival cards are pretty shit.

While Seija just was use the same card twice just LOL CONTROL SWAP which is just a low effort idea.
>>
>people going for all shots on all difficulties

are you TRYING to waste 2 years getting to LNB level?
>>
>>16258828
>Do 1ccs get easier after your first one?

Definitely. You'll struggle for a long while, but your skill will slowly accumulate, and by the time you get that 1cc you'll be good enough that your next 1cc won't require nearly as much growth to achieve.
>>
File: 1479410697847.jpg (79KB, 1154x692px) Image search: [Google]
1479410697847.jpg
79KB, 1154x692px
>>16257556
> Give ReimuA a go as well, she made that cc posible to me when I was having a hard time.
^This, ReimuA is PCB is my favorite shottype in all of 2hu, even though I don't like PCB all that much. The Homing Amulets in this game are OP as fuck.
>>
File: 1481568327802.png (515KB, 850x708px) Image search: [Google]
1481568327802.png
515KB, 850x708px
>>16258107
>I'm playing are either similarly hard or make me want to pull my hair out for other reasons (like Pokémon Sun and Moon's cutscenes; that game should be my relaxation due to how casual it is but I get angrier(...)
I can understand that, when I try to relax I play Mario 64, but not the vanilla but rather some crazy ass mods that end up in frustration all the time
Just do not suffocate your concentration dude. Take breaks and play other touhous or just take a break from vidya until finals are over so you can come back full force.
>>
You know it is a shit day when you can't even deathbomb on fucking IN.
>>
File: 1457915170047.jpg (138KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1457915170047.jpg
138KB, 1200x800px
Just got 642039450 on the Phantasm Stage. Is that good? Am I a worthy gapfag?
>>
>>16239259
That looks pretty easy, the bad times are when you get pinned in a corner and have no way of escaping without bombing.
>>
>>16245329
>>16245342
>>16245350
>>16245399
>>16245431
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o31BlspeYwM
>>
>>16261608
So does this still take place between DDC and LoLK (I haven't read any Touhou manga so I don't know if this is alluding to something from there) or is this after LoLK?
>>
>>16259199
I think its more of a shotype problem,Reimu A and B are ok, Sakuya A obliterates her and Sakuya B and Marisa A will have a hard time dealing with her.
>>
>>16261736
ULiL takes place between DDC and LoLK.

The extra chapter, Reisen's, takes place after LoLK.
>>
File: FUCK.png (7KB, 360x177px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.png
7KB, 360x177px
>>16257556
>>16260208
Did this, and I won my second attempt gloriously. The first attempt I had lost on the 3rd nonspell, but then I reached 30% reflowering with 3 lives left and only lost one life. I'm quite pleased that I'm able to do Normal 1cc's now.
Pic of a random attempt as Sakuya B
>>
File: Yuyuko (687).jpg (39KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Yuyuko (687).jpg
39KB, 450x450px
>>16262347
Congrats man
>>
File: 1467235932656.png (184KB, 400x421px) Image search: [Google]
1467235932656.png
184KB, 400x421px
I'm about to clear LoLK's PD and I'm loving Junko's last spell, it seems perfect for practicing them dodging skills, is there a way to always play only that spell after beating PD?
>>
>>16262765
Save your file (it should be saved in the score.dat) and make a copy before clearing the final spell in PD.
>>
File: 1469145806798.jpg (33KB, 600x564px) Image search: [Google]
1469145806798.jpg
33KB, 600x564px
>607m
>1.48b
>2.63b
>3.19b
>fail mindstopper + fullmoon + telemes
reisen
>>
>>16263089
feelio
>>
>>16263089
Who are you quoting tho
>>
File: 1308869180306.jpg (98KB, 798x720px) Image search: [Google]
1308869180306.jpg
98KB, 798x720px
Does in depth touhou video guides exists or just looking at replays is the go to solution of "what the fuck am I doing wrong" I just want my first 1cc to be eosd
>>
>>16263991

Just utilize practice mode, most of the spell cards on normal in eosd don't really have a trick to them you just have to get good at them through practicing. The main exception is Misdirection (Sakuya's midboss spellcard in stage 5) where you should go to one side of the screen before she shoots and stay still while she's shooting so the shots all line up and you can dodge them easily.
>>
>>16263991
Yeah, they do.
They usually come with captions for parts they find necessary to give tips on. What parts that is might differ from what you're having trouble with or it might only apply to that shot-type, so shop around.
Here's one for ReimuA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ULzO5viDc
And one for ReimuB:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Sfemc8kdA

Like >>16264224 said, for EoSD in particular a walkthrough might not be all that helpful. It's not usually about figuring out some kind of "trick" to it, you just have to get used to it for the most part.
>>
>>16261035
>You know it is a shit day when you can't even deathbomb on fucking IN.
Tell me about it, I can't even reach stage 4 in UFO without losing a million lives to stupid shit in the previous stages (e.g. Kogasa 1st and 3rd spellcards, some random bullet while I'm trying to grab a ufo in stage 3).
On the bright side, I now have a vague idea on how to deal with Murasa survival card.

Take a break man, that's what I'm doing. It ain't worth it bashing your head against a wall.
>>
>>16263973
my suicide note
>>
File: ebinmarisa.png (195KB, 465x453px) Image search: [Google]
ebinmarisa.png
195KB, 465x453px
Just beat PoFV first try.

It was on normal mode but I'm proud.
>>
>>16265055

Now do it 11 more times to unlock everything
>>
>>16265248
Should I be holding Z or pressing X to use my spells? So far I've been pressing X.
>>
>>16265309

Holding Z is better unless you really need to get out of a tight spot because it puts you down to 1 bar of meter minimum whereas X always puts you to 0.
>>
>>16265309
They actually have different purposes: Z is the one you should use normally, because it always leaves you with one bar, even if you're using all of your bars. When you press X, it's instantaneous (just like a bomb) and fires the most powerful attack you can currently use, but it leaves you at 0 bars. So, use X when you don't have time to charge and you're about to get hit.
>>
>>16265055
Now I got to stage 9 with all of my lives but one and then the game crashed what the FUCK
>>
File: th045.png (603KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
th045.png
603KB, 640x480px
Managed to get to the Stage 2 boss without losing any motivation, then immediatley died twice to her first nonspell trying to grind off it and reflexively reset even though that wasn't necessarily a run killer. Does anyone else have a problem where they just reset by muscle memory when they die?
>>
File: Hecatia (26).png (279KB, 737x721px) Image search: [Google]
Hecatia (26).png
279KB, 737x721px
>>16264777
>Take a break man, that's what I'm doing. It ain't worth it bashing your head against a wall
I did clear LoLK's PD and started playing the Extra on that day though, so it wasn't a lost day at all. On that note, how come Hecatia's non spells are way harder than her actual spells? I didn't get hit at all on the first 2, but her non spells rape me.
Nice lucky trips btw
>>
>>16258937
>Patchy to be indeed harder than Sakuya
I agree with this, somehow I managed to beat Sakuya on my first try (albeit with continues).
>>
>>16266274
Wait until her second Moon spell and then see.
But yeah, Hecatia's nons are really hard.
>>
File: th15_000.png (885KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
th15_000.png
885KB, 640x480px
How are you even supposed to not bomb through this?
>>
>>16267558
Nevermind I did it, it still seems too random and I had to pause a lot
>>
>>16264224
I truly hate that card. I was stuck on it for the longest time because I couldn't figure out the gimmick and there was no real way for me to reliably practice just that card. It's also so short that a stage 5 practice run gives you I believe 2 attempts to figure it out and taking fatal damage would always auto-clear it.
>>
>there will never be a final touhou game in which the only selectable characters are reimu and marisa in an IN style partner system, the final boss is the dragon god, and its theme is children's festival
>you will never finally beat it after months of failed attempts and get an extremely emotional CD-esque ZUN afterword and an epilogue to the series
>>
>>16272587
Why would you want the series to end anyways?
>>
>>16272728
Don't be silly, >>16272587 is obviously quoting someone, we just don't know who.
>>
>>16272730
Ah my bad, so >>16272587 just who the hell are you quoting?
>>
File: 1462305670263.gif (638KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1462305670263.gif
638KB, 250x251px
>>16272587
What would a full series ending even solve? Most Touhou games are self-contained storylines, and even with the minor links recent games have had to each other I'm not seeing a grand storyline, unless it's in the manga.
>>
>>16274357
Yeah, Touhou is very Slice-of-Life-esque like that.

There's no way to make a "grand finale" without it looking silly and forced.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.