[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /jp/ play Go?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

File: Screenshot_20161202_154206.png (12KB, 419x420px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161202_154206.png
12KB, 419x420px
Does /jp/ play Go?
>>
>>16197160
/jp/ is not intelligent enough to play Go.
>>
I'm almost smart enough to play go so I don't.
>>
I tried picking it up several times, but never found the motivation to take it seriously.
>>
>>16197213
I'm just unintelligent enough to argue about Go online.
>>
>>16197160
>allowing a ladder to extend that long
>allowing it to extend in the first place
I hope this wasn't one of your games anon.
>>
>>16197559
Dude, it's one of the most famous games ever. Black intentionally played a ladder which he would lose and proceeded to win the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Sedol#Lee.27s_Broken_Ladder_Game
>>
>>16197604

The hypest shit
>>
File: CshH9OEXEAAVm5V.jpg-orig.jpg (93KB, 1000x727px) Image search: [Google]
CshH9OEXEAAVm5V.jpg-orig.jpg
93KB, 1000x727px
More AlphaGo matches when?
>>
>>16197160
Go is far too boring for me to care about.
>>
>>16197987
Your post is far too boring for me to care about.
>>
>>16198240
You are far too boring for me to care about.
>>
Yes I do know how to play othello kthx
>>
I'm far too intelligent for board games, I shitpost on the internet instead.
>>
File: 781px-Spd_4.png (485KB, 781x442px) Image search: [Google]
781px-Spd_4.png
485KB, 781x442px
>>16197160

Why not play mahjong instead?

>>16092887
>>
>>16198464
I prefer a game of skill.
>>
>>16198464
Aren't matching games for children?
>>
I am exactly intelligent enough to play Go, I just play Danmaku! instead.
>>
>>16198776
That game has too many inconsistencies in its rules.
>>
I want to get into Go but I have no one to play it with
Playing against strangers when you are just starting out sounds scary
>>
I've given it a go before, but I've found I enjoy the tactics in chess more.
Also, it's harder to find other people who want to play Go locally than chess, and I prefer to play strategy games OTB rather than online.
All that said, I do really enjoy the elegance of Go, and wish it was more popular in the US.
>>
>>16197675
Maybe when Ke Jie stops being such a fucking pussy
>>
I don't play Go.
only sugo roku
>>
Do you play on IGS?
>>
>>16205915
IGS is dead. KGS/OGS for a western server, Tygem/WBaduk(Cyberoro) for asian server.
>>
File: FloorGoban.jpg (615KB, 1137x1101px) Image search: [Google]
FloorGoban.jpg
615KB, 1137x1101px
https://www.youtube.com/usgoweb/live
>>
>>16197675
They're abandoning Go, and going after starcraft.
>>
>>16197160

checkmate
>>
>>16220708
King me.
>>
I don't like it
t. chess player
>>
>>16221022
>t. chess player
Opinion discarded
>>
Go is a really fun chess alternative. I like the simple rules that create a complex game, unlike checkers which is shit.
>>
>>16197160
You sunk my battleship!
>>
I do, on IGS. It's the only one with a telnet interface these days.
>>
>>16221620
Checkers isn't bad if you play the international version rather than the American version.
>>
>>16230185
>2016
>telnet
>>
>>16230334
There are a bunch of open-source MUD and telnet clients. Which other go clients are free, written in C, and not garbage?
>>
File: BK2E4NG.gif (15KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
BK2E4NG.gif
15KB, 300x200px
>>16230185
>>16230350

IGS is still where all the strongest players are, anyway. good 'ol joyjoy. but panda interface is still p based. for all you weeb nerds, it's essentially what Hikaru and his boyfriend Sai use in hkng
>>
>>16232363
No strong players play on IGS. Most of them are on Tygem or Wbaduk.
>>
>>16197160
I wanted to but then the anime got rid of Sai and I lost interest.
>>
What's the best site to play Go online?
>>
>>16197160
I play with my penis
>>
>>16241831
Impressive, anon. Impressive.
>>
>>16241831
I don't play go but I can play with my penis too
>>
>>16242051
I bet he could play with other penises too.
>>
What is the best way to get a hang of the basics of go? I tried online-go.com but didn't feel like it left me with a solid understanding.
>>
>>16244880
Start with reading some stuff from here:
http://senseis.xmp.net/?PagesForBeginners

Until you get a good understanding of how the rules and scoring works, try playing on a smaller 9x9 board.
>>
>>16241640

tenhou.net
>>
I love Go. I've been playing it almost every day for a year and a half. Currently a 7k+ on IGS and a 3k on KGS, but I rarely play on the latter because IGS has more rigid standards for handicaps and time controls.
>>
>>16247561
The fk 7k from just playing for a year and a half? I'm assuming you had no proper lessons nor teachers? That's pretty good. 3d here.
>>
>>16244880
https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/english/howto/howto1.htm
>>
>>16248188
I had no lessons nor did I really have anyone to teach me since nobody I know irl is even remotely interested in the game. When I started I was accordingly pretty terrible and I spent probably a month or so in the high DDK range.

My skill has backslid considerably on a few occasions, and I was stuck in the 9-10k range for a long time. But I've been steadily progressing at about a half a rank every two months or so, which is a rate that I'm satisfied with.

I treat the game as an exercise in self-improvement. Recently I've been focusing on the fact that I make moves in situations where I like the concept of the move but I should really be doing some reading to determine which outcome is best. Next I need to deal with tsumego since I'm weaker than average for my level at it. I win games mostly on my ability to fight and the fact that I'm relatively good at forcing my opponents to create two weak groups.

How long did it take you to get to 3d? That's pretty impressive. I watch a lot of dan games and I still find it outside my comprehension much of the time.
>>
I play go on you're mothers pussy.
>>
>>16252919
Learned Go since I was little. Lived in Asia the first half of my life. So achieved dan status when I was like 10, just like much of the kids there. Then as you grow older and mature, your thinking process in general gets better, and you make better decisions naturally, if that made any sense. Haven't played and ranked for years now. 3d probably took me 8 years on and off.
>>
File: CzyNJwAXcAUnmBa.jpg-orig.jpg (30KB, 369x365px) Image search: [Google]
CzyNJwAXcAUnmBa.jpg-orig.jpg
30KB, 369x365px
Absolute madman
>>
>>16270518
I don't get it. Are you saying 10 is too ambitious?
>>
I used to, a lot, but I'm dumb and I ended up playing competitive kind of video games only. I should play again one of these days.
>>
i tried playing on KGS, maybe got to 20 k or 15 k or something

all that time it felt so intimidating to play someone

i wish i knew some friends to play against casually
>>
>>16197160
as an american american, i onlyu just would watch it on tv since theres lots of asia tv channels here on local airwaves i wish i could try it :/
>>
>>16280524
Doesn't KGS require Java? But I too agree that it's less frightening to play against online friends than to play against random people.
>>16280545
>i onlyu
>:/
>>
I understand Go just enough to know how fucking hard Black played White.
I need to see a video of this to see how pissed he was.
>>
Ogawa Tomoko is my Go waifu. What a voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDfWegHTtE
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.