[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Translating Japanese -> English

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: p004.jpg (1MB, 1124x1600px) Image search: [Google]
p004.jpg
1MB, 1124x1600px
Hi

I found this website now.

I'm a Japanese man studying in London, English.

My English is pretty good, and I found you all love Japanese Light novels, so I thought I'd try translate a novel.

I was going to translate Mushoku Tensei, but, awesome! You guys have already done the web novel and have a company working on the light novel!!

So which novel are you most interested in having translated!?

Do you think my English is good enough to do a good job!?
>>
Don't translate anything until you have read at least 100+ English books, of which at least 50 should be English classics that stood the test of time. Translators lacking the ability to write naturally is a big problem.
>>
Your english is good enough that I wouldn't know you were Japanese from your post
>>
>>16077266

Most LN translations are shit though.
>>
>>16077266
Yeah no. It would still be 10000% better than current machine-translations.
>>
Find an editor whose first language is english that can review your translation and make them smoother.
Your english seems good enough but you will write weird sentences due to it not being your mother tongue.
So even if you understand the source perfectly, you might not be able to communicate effectively.
>>
>>16077463
>Find an editor whose first language is english
As someone who is studying to become a translator (though not for Japanese), I can guarantee you that you'll need this if you want to translate something into a language that is not your first language.
It is deceptively easy to screw up word order or sentence structure. And that's before getting into smaller details that a non-native is less likely to notice.
There is a good reason as to why people usually translate to their first language. It's hardly impossible to do the reverse (and most VN translations don't read very well), but if you want to deliver a text that really reads like an English text you're gonna want an editor.
>>
>>16077070
Post proof
>>
File: p003.jpg (2MB, 1600x1136px) Image search: [Google]
p003.jpg
2MB, 1600x1136px
>>16077266
>>16077463
>>16077529

Thank you all very much for your advice.
>>16077312
>>16077368
and support.

What I will do is as accurate a translation as I can, post it, and let the community edit it and submit a final revised version with the edits.

Which untranslated, unlicenced novel are English men interested in reading?

Of course, I have my own tastes but would like to know if there are any novels which already have a fanbase who are eager.

Much appreciated, everyone!
>>
帰れ、ハゲ
>>
>>16077558
That's a terrible idea. Just get better at the language before wasting your time on something mediocre.
>>
>>16077558
Do you have english friends to help you with your english?
>>
>>16077593
Simply translating things is a pretty good way of getting better at it, assuming he gets some useful feedback from the editors.
The more practice you get, the more refined your translations get.
Of course, this whole things stands or falls with the editors. You need to hear exactly why something is wrong if you want to improve.
>>
>>16077558
Just pick a popular web novel that doesn't have an ongoing translation. As a Japanese guy, you might even be able to get the author's permission.
>>
>is my english good enough
Most light novels are written by people without a grasp for their own language or writing, and translated by others not knowing how to write and/or speak english anyway. You have a fair shot at coming out in the first percentile.

>>16077609
This. Contact an author of a series with medium popularity and throw it on your resume.
>>
You use Line, Moonlander?
>>
>>16077558
What are your favorite novels?
>>
File: my_qrcode_1478586818171.jpg (19KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
my_qrcode_1478586818171.jpg
19KB, 230x230px
>>
I'd say a lesser version of >>16077266 is a good idea. I'm a native English speaker, but when I tried translating something from Japanese I couldn't word it well for shit. Get good at writing and not just as being able to move ideas from one language to another.

>>16077312
You either live in California or are an ESL too.
>>
File: pc_1_.jpg (234KB, 460x656px) Image search: [Google]
pc_1_.jpg
234KB, 460x656px
>>16077070
I'd say this but it's already being translated.

Don't you have any novels you really liked in Japan?
>>
>>16077558
There's a number of novels with an established fanbase where translations have stopped. If you're looking for something that'll get read, I suggest you start looking here:
http://www.novelupdates.com/series-finder/?sf=1&org=496&nt=2443,2444&rt=3.8&rct=2000&dt=01/01/2015&cp=no&sort=sdate&order=asc

Bear in mind that some novels (such as Overlord) are still being fan-translated despite novelupdates saying it isn't, they just went "underground" so to speak because the series was officially licensed in English.
>>
File: 1423035109062.jpg (107KB, 600x570px) Image search: [Google]
1423035109062.jpg
107KB, 600x570px
>>16077070
申し訳ないが英語力は多分不足だ。

この段落だけでもたくさんのミスが見える。

>I found this website now.
I just found this website.

>and I found you all love Japanese Light novels
and I found out that you love Japanese Light novels

>try translate a novel.
try to translate a novel.

云々

翻訳者は多分、ターゲット言語のネイティブスピーカでなければダメなんです。

でも本当にやりたいなら語力を上げるためもっと洋本を読む方がいいではと思う。
>>
>>16077070
Since you chose the best novel in my opinion (Mushoku Tensei), can you please recommend the second best or maybe even better one (if that ever exist) please? I'd very much like to read something (in Japanese) similar in setting and relatively good too, but sadly I'm almost completely ignorant of LN world, thus ending up picking stuff randomly. Sorry it's not about your question.
>>
File: 1474294456588.jpg (64KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1474294456588.jpg
64KB, 400x400px
>>16079515
That feeling when I want to add you, yet at the same time I'm not sure how much attention I can give you of if I can even help you.
>>
>>16077558
>unlicensed

None. If however you would be inclined, we really need translations of Occultic;Nine and Shinmai maou no testatment.
>>
>>16082134
>Occultic;Nine
Why when it's already being done by JNovel Club? They also seem to be making a good pace too.
>>
9S, Iriya no Sora or Saekano. If you want something more cliched but well written you can try 12-gatsu no Veronica
>>
Miss Fabre, D-Crackers, 9S, Saredo tsumibito wa ryuu to odoru, Neko no Chikyuugi.
>>
>>16079944
>I found this website now.
>I just found this website.
I found this website.
I have recently discovered this website.

>and I found you all love Japanese Light novels
>and I found out that you love Japanese Light novels
and I find that you all love japanese light novels.
and I've found that you love japanese light novels.

>>try translate a novel.
>try to translate a novel.
try translating a novel.
attempt to translate a novel.

unless you're going for the teen section books at barnes and nobles, of course. in which case, carry on.
>>
>>16079944
Dude you're mixing da and desu quite liberally there. Try to unify your form of language.
>>
>>16077070
Bara no Maria
>>
Generally translating into your native language is the better option
>>
File: ReZero Extra Volume 1.png (3MB, 1556x2190px) Image search: [Google]
ReZero Extra Volume 1.png
3MB, 1556x2190px
TRANSLATE THIS!!!

I have the pages on my computer!!
>>
>>16077070
This, translate this >>16096120
>>
>>16077070
Girlish Number
The new Spice and Wolf Novels
The ReZero Tanpenshuu books
>>
>>16096120
Please ignore him, he's a shame to our humble Re:Zero community.
>>
This bro is lying >>16096397
>>
>>16085566
あんた、やる気?
>>
>>16085550
Light novels /are/ aimed at young teens with a few exceptions. Why else do you think they use so many unnecessary loanwords?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.