[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is ZUN the Tolkien of east Asia? I think he is.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Is ZUN the Tolkien of east Asia? I think he is.
>>
>>16007253
Nah, that'd be the monstergirl dictionary faggot. Everyone's using his characters as basis for basically everything nowadays, just like everyone rips off Tolkien's elves, orcs, and hobbits.
>>
>>16007253
Could ZUN write the bible?
>>
>>16007253
What has ZUN written that is remotely comparable to the Silmarillion?
Gensokyo is fun because anyone is free to create whatever stories they want within it, but ZUN is teally just adapting existing Japanese myth.

No author has come close to Tolkein when it comes to truly understanding mythology such that they can convincingly create their own.
>>
>>16007394
Tolkien basically adapted Scando-Slavic myth
>>
>>16007253
No, Touhou Project is a contemporary fantasy story, and the themes are fairly different.

Adapting Japanese mythology into fantasy predates ZUN by quite a bit.
>>
>>16007394
Do you know of any authors who could be remotely compared to Tolkein?
>>
>>16007394
>convincingly create their own
There's nothing really convincing about Tolkien's mythos. It's just very complete and satisfies a lot of autism. The difference between Tolkien and others is that Tolkien was embraced by the hippie movement.
>>
File: 1455018437267.jpg (17KB, 233x251px) Image search: [Google]
1455018437267.jpg
17KB, 233x251px
>Is ZUN the Tolkien of east Asia?
Are you asking this because you already know who is the ZUN of central Asia or something?
>>
>>16007927
>>16007549
The main point is that Tolkien's myth is very internally consistent. The individual stories feel like epics that could have been written by a real civilisation in the way that they relate to events and themes that occurred over a broad expanse of time.
Of course he was influenced by elements in existing mythos, but they're combined so that nothing feels out of place, the result is something unique with recognisable elements. This isn't that unusual in the real world either, Japanese and Greek mythology are completely unrelated, but have some strikingly similar stories. When reading one you can feel echoes of the other.

>>16007621
While LotR is great, there are plenty of other fantastic fantasy authors and most do put effort into making their setting interesting. However, Tolkien remains pretty unique in that his world was not a means to an end, if anything it was the other way around; the novels were there to flesh out the world. The Silmarillion is indicative of his greatest talents and it doesn't read like a fantasy book at all.
>>
>>16007927
What makes myth convincing?

As you say he put a lot of work into it and defined the fantasy genre.

Everything that is created, in one way or another iterates what was before.
>>
>>16007927
>satisfies a lot of autism
Made me lol
>>
>>16007253
I absolutely adore ZUN's writing and think it is a lot better than most people give him credit for, but Tolkien is very clearly on another level of craft.
>>
File: 1461676754019.jpg (328KB, 1280x1903px) Image search: [Google]
1461676754019.jpg
328KB, 1280x1903px
>>16008257
>it and defined the fantasy genre.
That's like saying Star Trek or something like that defined science fiction.
The fantasy genre had already been defined by folks like Richard Wagner before Tolkien had even been born.
>>
>>16007253
Did run ever write and big old lore and back story book or just a bunch of little things?
>>
>>16008509
I feel ZUN brings Asian mythology into his own world, the same way Tolkien brought Germanic mythology into his own world.
>>
>>16008924
The difference between Tolkien and Wagner is that the former codified a genre.
>>
>>16009073
To be the "Tolkien" he has to be a trend-setter. If it's just the fact that he has created a fantasy world based on Japanese mythology (with other mythologies quietly creeping in), there really is no shortage of those.
>>
>>16007253
As much as I like ZUN's writing, this is a really strange comparison.

>>16007394
>What has ZUN written that is remotely comparable to the Silmarillion?
>Gensokyo is fun because anyone is free to create whatever stories they want within it, but ZUN is teally just adapting existing Japanese myth.
Tolkien wanted to create a world, so that others could create its songs and poetry.

ZUN didn't create Touhou for other people to do things with it, he's just supportive of amateur creative works in general.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.