[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Then shall we begin? Your execution.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: 1473247586925.png (289KB, 800x750px) Image search: [Google]
1473247586925.png
289KB, 800x750px
Then shall we begin?

Your execution.
>>
Reimu was really into genociding youkai in the last translated forbidden scrollery.
>>
I'm trying but all the Touhous in PCB are bullying me instead.
>>
>>15806936
Take a moment to realize each of these stories are written from a different character in-universe's point of view.
>>
>>15806952
WaHH - Kasen
FS - Marisa
Sangetsusei - Fairies
Bougetsushou - Yukari
CoLA - Rinno
Games - everyone mid boss and lower
>>
File: coverImage_1174939.jpg (456KB, 1128x1600px) Image search: [Google]
coverImage_1174939.jpg
456KB, 1128x1600px
>>15806967
>FS - Marisa
dude, what
>>
>>15806967
Kasen looks down on Reimu
Kosuzu is human, and obviously treated well by the famous youkai exterminator.
Fairies are hyperactive little shits so of course she looks like she's lazy all the time.
SSIB is a tricky one, there isn't one single viewpoint I can pin down to a person.
Rinnosuke's is probably the closest to "normal" but mostly he's uninterested in her which means minimal characterization.
Games are how she views herself, much more badass sounding than she probably is and all the youkai are super threatening towards her.
>>
>>15806967
FS is definitely Kosuzu.

Marisa is supposed to be the player/reader stand-in in general and serves as Reimu's foil in pretty much every work.

>>15807107
To be fair we do know Reimu is the most broken character in all of Touhou as well as ZUN's favorite so the games are probably the closest to how he wants to portray her.
>>
File: wild_and_horned_hermit_ch05_24.png (345KB, 1100x1600px) Image search: [Google]
wild_and_horned_hermit_ch05_24.png
345KB, 1100x1600px
WaHH has the best explanation of Reimu. She isn't stupid or greedy or ruthless. She's just naive and ignorant. All she knows is being a shrine maiden, and because she has no training/her training is incomplete (doesn't know own god, doesn't know her own mythology as well as moon bitch), she only has an incomplete idea of what being a shrine maiden means. So ya, she grubs for money and bullies youkai and doesn't do much else because she doesn't know anything else.
>>
File: 1455549801764.jpg (25KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
1455549801764.jpg
25KB, 480x433px
>>15806967
>FS-Marisa
>>
Only the games are canon.

Fuck off, secondaries.
>>
>>15807185
nah
>>
>>15807188
Zun said it to me.

Go away.
>>
>>15807153

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Reimu acts the way she does because that's all she knows; and considering that she wasn't even raised by humans, her quirks as a person could be said to be the result of having what it means to be "human" taught to her through the filter of a giant turtle.

Nevertheless, innocence is a terrifying thing to face, especially when fueled by indignation. "But the inquisitor who mistakes his own cruelty and lust of power and fear for the voice of Heaven will torment us infinitely more because he torments us with the approval of his own conscience and his better impulses appear to him as temptations." -C. S. Lewis
>>
>>15806936
>>15807153

Read Strange Creators of Outer World, characters having different personalities in every work is intentional, for example game Reimu is in "I'm working" mode while WaHH and fairy Reimu are in relax mode. There's no "best portrayal" of Reimu, they're all bits of the same character.
>>
>>15808066
Neat, it confirms exactly what I figured.
>>
Only IN boss Reimu is canon.
>>
>>15808902
Everything made in cooperation with ZUN is canon. HM and ULiL, too, unfortunately.
>>
Just give me bored prostitute Reimu already.
>>
>>15807107
>Kasen looks down on Reimu
with good reason
>>
>>15808066
To add on to this I believe ZUN himself addressed this before in other interviews.

He described FS as Reimu as THE Hakurei Shrine Maiden and youkai exterminator, WaHH is Reimu as the girl living at the shrine' and Sangetsusei is Reimu the human the youkai associate with.

So in effect WaHH is the actual kind of character Reimu is when she is off the clock completely. As it's a story from Kasen's perspective and for all intents and purposes the story is every youkai seems to think she is trying to manipulate Reimu when she just has genuine good intentions, Reimu seems extremely goofy and silly.

Even CoLA tells us a lot about Reimu as from Rinnosuke's POV which anyone with younger siblings should realize. She's simply the little sisters annoying best friend.
>>
The bored professional is Reimu.
>>
File: 1423378476677.jpg (346KB, 1260x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1423378476677.jpg
346KB, 1260x1080px
This is raymoo
>>
>>15808902
>no LLS boss reimu
wew
>>
>>15806936
Do one for Marisa
>>
>>15808945
>HM and ULiL, too, unfortunately.
What's wrong, not enough secondary bait for you?
>>
>>15810126
Marisa is extra-energetic and goofy in WaHH, and a compulsive liar in the shooting games (though she doesn't do this nearly as much as she used to). Apart from that she doesn't really change much. She's more of an everyman type, while Reimu is supposed to be hard to understand.

Marisa does still have layers to her character, but they're not tied to specific media like Reimu's are.
>>
>>15808066
>>15809489
Please, fuck off.

The only true Reimu's personality is in game Reimu.
Zun wrote the dialogs.

Zun shilling some no-names' books isn't something to take as a fact.
>>
>>15811538
ZUN also wrote the dialogue for the all the comics except IMIE.
>>
>>15806936
Forbidden Scrollery Reimu is the cutest
>>
>>15809720
Not big tits enough to be Raymoo
>>
File: 1457354277068.jpg (513KB, 691x899px) Image search: [Google]
1457354277068.jpg
513KB, 691x899px
>>
>>15817719
>Meiling
No.
>>
>>15808066
Is there actually something that confirms this or is it just something people says to feel good about themselves?
>>
>>15817820
It's something that's been concluded by pretty much anyone reading all of the different works, so there isn't really much of a need for ZUN to confirm it, but the Who's Who on Reimu has ZUN comment the following:
>I've never made anything from Reimu's point of view. The games are written in third person omniscient, so only she knows what she's really like. I don't know very well either. We have no idea what's going on in Reimu's head, so she changes depending on whose perspective we see her from. The Reimu that youkai see, the Reimu that fairies see, and the Reimu that humans see are all different.

It's really more general than that, where the whole point of having many works with many different "primary" characters is to have each provide a lens to view Gensokyo with. But how Reimu is seen by everyone is usually the most obvious part.
>>
>>15817988
Or it could just maybe be the different authors that actually writes different you know? Making it seem like she got different personalities.

And the mangas are all also written in a third person, it's not like we're more inside Kasen's head than Reimu's in WAHH.
>>
>>15818003
>Or it could just maybe be the different authors that actually writes different you know?
They're all written by ZUN, you dork. The manga have different artists, which can emphasize certain things given ZUN's direction, but the art isn't the main factor here. Additionally, this is about all written works, not just the manga. CoLA and BAiJR have incredibly obvious character lenses.
>>
>>15818018
You're pretty naive if you don't think Zun lets the authors/artists have much freedom of their own. Just look at HM/ULIL if you don't believe me, is that writing something you actually think Zun would do?
>>
>>15818083
I like how you can identify all of your posts in this thread by not capitalizing ZUN, and not knowing jack shit. You keep using the term "author" as though there are any besides ZUN, too. If you knew what you were talking about at all you wouldn't even consider it.

Really, you'd have to be pretty naive to think ZUN -didn't- write the scripts of HM and ULiL, or at least not very well-versed in the series. Even moreso to think that the artists had anything to do with the scripts of those games, of all people involved. I like how you're even suggesting that I only disagree with you because you think I haven't played and/or read those games. Really now.
>>
>>15818083
>You're pretty naive if you don't think Zun lets the authors/artists have much freedom of their own.

Please stop talking about stuff you don't know, since he got disappointed for how SSiB got drawn he takes full control of the works now, to the point he even makes scripts on how the faces should look in each panel. You can read several omakes about that.

>Just look at HM/ULIL if you don't believe me, is that writing something you actually think Zun would do?

Yes?
>>
>>15818083
You. I've seen you before. You don't like shutting up, do you?
>>
>>15818083
He gives them freedom to draw, not to write character dialogue wholesale. At best he may incorporate suggestions (see Tasofro here), especially with artists he trusts (Hirasaka, for example, whose influence bleeds through the fairy manga, IMO), but everything aside is his.

Someone who's such a stickler for detail according to Harukawa (or Aya Azuma, I forget which) wouldn't have it any other way.

SSiB and Inaba of the Moon are the only two such exceptions. The former's inconsistency he had such difficulty with, among other things, is why he takes a much more active role regarding plot, dialogue, characterization, and all now
>>
>>15818550
>The former's inconsistency he had such difficulty with
What exactly didn't he like about it? Isn't that Manga quite liked?(If you don't count the hate against the moonbitches of course)
>>
>>15818550
>(Hirasaka, for example, whose influence bleeds through the fairy manga, IMO)
What do you mean, specifically?
>>
>>15818915
Characters were drawn the wrong heights.
Lily White and Lily Black appear in the same panel.
Toyohime's disintegration weapon wasn't supposed to be a fan, which ZUN described as "super sloppy (lol)".

That's just the stuff we know of. Artists on later manga have said that ZUN is odd to work with because he can be extremely specific about some things but open to interpretation on others.
E.g. ZUN has precise control over the random characters in crowd scenes, but doesn't care about Marisa's house having a consistent design.
>>
>>15820001
>he can be extremely specific about some things
AN EXPRESSION OF SMUG KINDNESS?!
>>
>>15820001
So Yuuka really attended Remi's party?
>>
File: I farted.png (90KB, 453x305px) Image search: [Google]
I farted.png
90KB, 453x305px
>>15817719
>youkai gas
STINKY
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.