[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't they just shoot her with a gun?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

Why don't they just shoot her with a gun?
>>
>>15677034
Reimu has an extended deathbomb period, so she'll just become invulnerable and push your shit in
>>
>>15677034
The only type of gun would be a musket where they live. So you can see why danmaku bullets are better than one bullet and then a three minute reload.
>>
>>15677034
She can graze firearm bullets just as well as danmaku bullets, and for breaking the spellcard rules they'd be well and truly fucked. Using actually lethal attacks would push things into a realm that Gensokyoans do not want to tread, rather like why tactical nukes aren't used in modern warfare.
>>
>>15677034
If spellcard rules enable her to survive heaven rocks, sword slash, oni punch, thousand knives, and radioactive heat I'm sure gun bullets won't do much.
>>
>>15677034

The same reason why they don't use their thousands of other powers to kill her:

Because then the setting would collapse. GG no RE.

>>15677565

Foam rocks, rubber sword, the punches were held back, rubber knives, and the heat was just a big puff danmaku. It's all just pretend, yo. And in a serious fight, she'd just go full Fantasy Heaven and twist whatever was fighting her into a pretzel; if they weren't following spellcard rules, that one moon bitch that defeated her would have been a red smear before she released her first pattern.
>>
>>15677034
Fantasy Heaven lets her go invicible with huge energy spheres homing to the opponent for a good amount of time. Sniping her isn't good either since it seems she has some kind of subconscious powers that save her shit if something happens, like that time she gets tricked by the fairies making the lake look like terrain so she would fall and get soaked but she just walks on water normally without noticing.
>>
>>15677632

You know, I've sort of wondered what kind of invinvibility Fantasy Heaven is. Do things just no sell, or do they warp through her? Like, what if she needed to lift up something really heavy and Suika wasn't nearby? Could she use FH to give her super-strength on the virtue her body would be immune to strain? Given Reimu's kind of lax character, I can't imagine she wouldn't use it for mundane things at least once if that was the case. What if the village blacksmith needed an invincible surface to forge things on? Could he use Reimu?
>>
File: 1224682815994.jpg (92KB, 426x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1224682815994.jpg
92KB, 426x1024px
>>15677665
Sure, why not.
>>
>>15677665
>Ability to float

>While flight is extremely common among inhabitants of Gensokyo, Reimu's ability extends beyond that.

>The ultimate expression of this ability is Fantasy Nature, which allows Reimu to float up high and become out of reach from enemies' attacks while active; this ability was considered too powerful for use as a spell card until Marisa Kirisame gave it a name and time limit.
>>
>>15677721

But, could she use it to survive a cave-in or to escape being buried alive, or to traverse somewhere like space where there isn't air? Does it make her immune to environmental damage?
>>
File: 1280.jpg (422KB, 1050x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
422KB, 1050x1250px
>>15677034
Already tried
>>
>>15677721
Where is the statement which said she can "fly" outside reality?

Is it really just the ability to fly really high?
>>
File: 1405140404143.png (147KB, 212x325px) Image search: [Google]
1405140404143.png
147KB, 212x325px
>>15677614
>Foam rocks, rubber sword, the punches were held back, rubber knives, and the heat was just a big puff danmaku.

Citation needed.
>>
>>15677034
Cause fantasy nature op
>>
My impression is that the weaker youkai would never be in a position to contest her, and the more powerful ones perceive her as a symptom, not the cause.
Even if they'd uniformly abandon Spellcard Rules, due to the nature of most of their powers, It'd be very hard to take control of the outcome.

Of all the Gensoukyouian youkai big shots, Yuyuko seems to be the closest to Yukari in regards to her capability to scheme.
Kanako has the pragmatism and business sense, but she's more of a pond clerk than a seawater shark.
Byakuren is lost in dogma and doesn't really seem to have the brains requires for the task. She's more of an opportunist.
Miko has both experience and the intellectual capacity, but she's accepted Yukari's solution and is the only leader that actually shows sympathy to the humans. In addition, being a Hermit, she spends most of her time in Senkai and has other issues anyway (Seiga, Komachi's co-workers).
Remilia is a snotty brat. Everything she comes up with is but a blunt implementation of her wilful nature.

So instead of trying to turn things on the head, they (well, everybody but Koumakan) try to gain control over the one resource they all need - Faith - by indirect means.

Speaking of which, didn't the Moriya Shrine try to harvest Faith from the indigenous Youkai, too? I never understood how that was supposed to work.
>>
>>15678175
Beat em up and use vague God threats.
>>
>>15678246
I guess there's coercion involved.
But what I meant is, humans yield Faith by doing worship. Youkai need said Faith to exist.
So, do Youkai yield Faith the same way? If they yield enough, do they stop existing?
>>
>>15678175
Eirin could just slip her a pill.
>>
>>15678304
And kill her? To what end?
Yukari would just institute a new one, and the Eientei crew would be left with no place to hide anymore.
While FS established that they, too, have a hand in the village, they're probably just interested in keeping the others from interfering too much. Gensoukyou's isolation is their biggest asset.
>>
>>15677034
>17th century Japan
>firearms

Besides, I highly doubt Matchlock rifles would be effective enough in a qualitative or quantitative way to fight anything that's not some little youkai.
>>
>>15678984

Well, on one hand, since what firearms they'd have would be centuries old at that point, they'd be capable of slaying youkai due to gathering significance/spirtual energy...but could you say the same thing about their bullets? What if it's only the gun itself, and to kill youkai, you have to club them to death with it? Maybe find century-old rounds as well?
>>
>>15679058
The Tsukumogami are either under Raiko's or Mamizou's command. I doubt they'd comply.
>>
There aren't guns in the setting.

For the people that constantly say "the youkai should just kill her" its constantly stated that Reimu is far and away more broken than all of them and that half the reason Spellcard Rules exist is so that Youkai feel like they can actually "win" against her in a duel (and thus can still do "youkai things" to survive). Most people understand this but it still comes up in every thread about her.

>>15678270
A youkai's belief or faith in Moriya doesn't take away from their own faith, it's not like money. Youkai are sustained by people believing and fearing in them, those youkai then believing in Kanako doesn't take away from their power because their source of belief still exists.

The Kappa and Tengu of the mountain believe in Kanako as a God and pledge to Moriya even after they are freed from coercion in MoF. The youkai for all intents and purposes are still considered "people" and can give faith like anyone else. The difference is that they will disappear if people stop believing in them. Which is why humans are a more valuable source of faith.
>>
Didn't Kourin have a gun?
Am I remembering something wrong?
>>
File: 1464630258312.png (156KB, 256x291px) Image search: [Google]
1464630258312.png
156KB, 256x291px
>>15678175
and you forgot the real treat in gensokyo, the different factions of youkais willing to take control of the area and the most valuable source, the human village
>>
>>15678270
youkais don't need faith, they need believe and usually got them in form of fear
>>
>>15679288
But this is exactly what this is, if you believe in something, you have faith in it.
Whether you get that through worship or terror seems to be irrelevant, though Gensoukyou's factions ususally compete for the former.

>>15679278
By that's what I meant by the third paragraph.
FS is about Mamizou trying to get her foot in the human villagers' door (quite literally) through Suzunaan. SoPM also had the big three talk about controlling the village - Kanako went as far as calling it a Zoo.

>>15679133
Oh, I didn't know that. Do you have a source for that?
In that case, you could multiply your Faith payoff by having humans fear the youkai of the mountain, acquire their worship in exchange for protection, and then having the mountain youkai worship you as well.
>>
>>15679133

Guns have actually existed as early as Touhou 2, where they're used both by turrets and Evil Eye Sigma as very fast, very hard to dodge, and more importantly, hard to see shot type. Reisen uses them as well, while older model weapons are bound to exist because by the time Gensokyo was closed off they had long been introduced by trade (which also explains the presence of sunflowers, which aren't native to Japan).

More importantly, no youkai would dare kill Reimu because Gensokyo's borders are directly tied to her continued living; she dies, the borders unravel and all the youkai inside can kiss their source of free fear and food goodbye. Killing her would be in nobody's interest. But you already know that; the game is rigged in such a way that Reimu simply can't lose, or else the entire setting goes down with her.
>>
So, tl;dr: why would anyone ever harm Reimu? Truly the best girl.
>>
>>15679133
>>15678175
The faith that sustains gods is not the same as the faith that sustains youkai. Youkai require (passive) belief and fear. Gods require (systematised) active worship, such as prayers, tribute, rituals, and so on. A youkai can dedicate themselves to a god and follow their specific requirements as well as any intelligent enough creature.
>>
>>15682272
In other words, your believing in Kanakp's existence doesn't help her any; rather, she needs you to actively engage in whatever form of worship she requires. That's why the religious competition exists in the first place. If passive belief had been enough, there would have been no need for it.
>>
>>15682290
Belief is existence. Worship is power, in that you are giving significance to that god. Pretty straightforward.
>>
They don't have guns in gensokyo.
>>
>>15685077

>They don't have guns in a SHMUP series
>>
>>15685280
I wonder if they have dank memes in Gensoukyou.
>>
>>15685280
Of course. Everything works around magic in Gensokyo.

>>15685293
Their memes are probably nowhere near as cool as ours, seeing as they have only primitive communication technology. They'd probably be passed down in the form of tradition and heritage, with the sources being anonymous and hearsay.
Now on the other hand, I wonder what kind of memes would some of the youkai be into. I bet Yukari would dig some Eldritch memes.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.