[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

France bans Ñ from Baby names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

File: french freedom.png (858KB, 1225x545px) Image search: [Google]
french freedom.png
858KB, 1225x545px
So, this is the power of Liberté?

---

A French court on Wednesday banned a couple from giving their baby a name containing a tilde, ruling that the "n with a squiggle over it" was incompatible with national law.

The couple from Brittany wanted to call their newborn baby boy Fañch, a traditional name in the northwestern region which has its own language.

"The principle according to which babies' names are chosen by their mothers and fathers must have limits when it comes to using a spelling which includes a character not recognized by the French language," the court in the town of Quimper said in its judgment.

Fañch is a name borne notably by two Breton writers, Fañch Peru and Fañch Broudig, and is the Breton version of the name François.

The tilde, an "n" with a small sideways "s" written over it, is commonly used in Spanish as well as the Breton language.

An official in Quimper had initially refused to write "Fañch" on the baby's birth certificate, before changing their mind a few days later. Born in May, the baby already has an ID card and passport with the tilde on it.

His furious father Jean-Christophe Bernard said the battle wasn't over.

"He will have his tilde, that's for sure," Bernard said.

"When? We don't know. We'll see with a lawyer and with the town hall what we can do."

Parents in France have often fallen foul of the rules regarding baby names.

Up until 1993 parents in France had to choose a name for their baby from a long list of acceptable "prenoms" laid out by authorities.

But the list was scrapped under President François Mitterand and French parents were given the liberty to be a little bit more inventive.

However courts can still ban names if they decide it is against the child's best interests. Names including Nutella, Fraise (Strawberry) and Manhattan have also fallen foul of the French name police in recent years.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170914/french-court-bans-couple-from-using-breton-letter-in-childs-name
>>
>>79471463
celts lmao
>>
>>79471463
WTF I hate France now
>>
>>79471463
>Names including Nutella, Fraise (Strawberry) and Manhattan have also fallen foul of the French name police in recent years.
part of me wants to like this, but low class people are going to be low class no matter what. forcing them to name their child something reasonable is going to change much
>>
That's it, they've gone too far. Free Brittany!
>>
>>79471910
These are very rare cases. I remember a court forbidding parents to name their child Hitler.
Renault is a quite common last name in France. The problem is they name some of their cars like girls: Mégane, Zoé. A few years ago, upon learning that their next car model would be called Zoé, Madame Renault who just named her child Zoé tried to sue Renault for them to change the car's name. It didn't work out AFAIR
>>
>>79471463
>the northwestern region which has its own language

I love how they make it sound like they don't speak French there when there are actually like 200 000 Breton speakers out of 4.5 millions Bretons, and those 200k all speak French as well
>>
>>79472237
I knew a echange student from France called 'Ophélie' lol what kind of name is that?
Giving those kind of names to kids is a form of child abuse.
>>
>>79472310
Ophélie is legit, if not a tad vintage.
>>
>>79471910
Yes this is going to change much.
Having high expectations concerning your low classes is the key to any cultural achievement over the course of history

Its not a wonder if our poor people have more or less the same intellectual and cultural level as your various Richard Dawkins and that your country will be destroyed in less than two centuries
>>
>>79471463
why did others have the same name then?
>>
>>79472314
There's nothing wrong with Ophélie, it's way better than some retarded Breton name with special characters.
>>
>>79472655
And Anaïs? Do you think it's a cute name?
>>
>>79472487
>and that your country will be destroyed in less than two centuries
ours will be gone long before theirs
>>
>>79472655
C'halloued will never understand.
could name their child Yann instead of Francois... would be a nice banter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1LMRBW5ZFk

Be Breizh
>>
>>79472487
>Its not a wonder if our poor people have more or less the same intellectual and cultural level as your various Richard Dawkins and that your country will be destroyed in less than two centuries
What?
>>
>>79471522
~t. Carthamoorian
>>
So? I don't see what's wrong with it.
Here we have a "Rada Języka Polskiego" (Council of the Polish Language) which maintains a list of names you can give to your child. If you want to name your child something else you actually need to write them a letter and the answer is usually "fuck off, stop ruining your child's life".

Letters like V, X, Q are not allowed.
Non-polish names have to be polonized ie. female name "angelica" becomes "andżelika".

It's the only way you can protect your population from trashy retards naming their children Kevin or Brian because their favourite soap opera character is named like that.
>>
>>79472706
It's fine, I usually prefer greek or latin-based names.
>>
>>79472852
Problem in this case is that foreign and retarded names are allowed, but this one from a regional identity that is part of this country's culture and history isn't.
>>
>>79472314
Ophélie is common as fuck in France, I don't see the issue and it's a very old name, not a made up millenial faggotry

>>79472706
I like it, and it's also fairly common
>>
>>79472852
I don't know man, Polish is a fucking awful language and giving Polish kids English names is going to be a lot better for their future if they eventually move to a first world country.
>>
>>79471463
France has been a zombie nation since the French Revolution.
>>
>>79473072
t. john zhang

It's embarrassing how chinese change their names.
>>
>>79473072
>not just changing your name where you go to match the local language
It's a bit harder with surnames desu. Do you change the spelling or do you use the cognate of the original origin? Either of those will be pretty tryhard unless it's an occupational name, and even then, if you translate it out of your language group it will be weird.
>>
>>79472852
>Here we have a "Rada Języka Polskiego" (Council of the Polish Language) which maintains a list of names you can give to your child. If you want to name your child something else you actually need to write them a letter and the answer is usually "fuck off, stop ruining your child's life".
Same here. Here's the names they rejected last year:

Men:
>Saurus
>Soulio
>Rontti
>Lexx
>Jubileum
>Rolandaxis
>S.
>Haades
>Moolok
>KingJames
>Southerncross
>Lyricpoet
>Karhukuningas
>Greed
>Pasintero

Women:
>Toisaa
>Ammu
>Ravenheart
>Hukka
>>
>>79473172
Chinese here just make up first names and leave last names alone. It's fucking stupid since chinese is easy to pronounce. They're just baby noises.
>>
>>79473214
>Toisaa
>Ammu
>Hukka

They sound Finnish for me, are they totally made up names or do they mean something in Finnish that isn't fit for a name ?
>>
>>79473214
>>S.
kek, wondered if they'd refuse t.

every document signed with
t. spurdo
>>
>>79473151
There is nothing embarrassing about giving your child the local names of the country his life will take place in. Grounds him where he lives, not where his parents or grandparents come from. When in Rome, do as the romans do.
>>
File: 1448029848597.jpg (7KB, 240x237px) Image search: [Google]
1448029848597.jpg
7KB, 240x237px
>>79473214
>>Southerncross
>>Ravenheart
>>Greed
Being a child to a couple of videogames-addicted manchildren must be suffering
>>
>>79473251
>Toisaa
Not sure what this is supposed to be.
>Ammu
Cow's name.
>Hukka
Means wolf.
>>
>>79473242
They get annoyed probably because you have to intone the words in very specific ways.
>>
>>79473270
>grounds him
Canada's foundation is wet mud. It's especially pointless in Vancouver and Toronto where anglos haven't been a majority for decades.
>>
>>79473291
we now have girls named khaleesi
imagine a grown woman having this name
>>
File: mfw americans.jpg (40KB, 453x500px) Image search: [Google]
mfw americans.jpg
40KB, 453x500px
>>79473072
>Polish is a fucking awful language
says the fucking chinkstralian
>>
>>79473332
ah, one of those
>>
>>79473313
In Canada, Sandeep and Ahmad will mispronounce your english name anyway.
>>
>>79473307
Thanks
>>
>Fañch

Just call him François lmao, how do you even pronounce this
>>
>>79471463
the funny thing is that the Ç was invented in Spain
>>
>>79473445
*discovered
>>
>>79472852
Nothing wrong with the name Kevin or Brian
>>
>>79473553
It's cringy if you aren't anglo
>>
>>79473553
Kevin and Brian are common white trash or local gypsies names here
Gypsies love their anglo names
>>
>>79473581
Both of those are originally Irish though.

>>79473592
Really? Are they French "white trash" or what?
>>
>>79473581
>>79473592
Kevin is Irish and Brian is Welsh
>>
>>79473623
Yeah the French white trash, the arabs have their own names. Gypsies like Italian names where I live as well

>>79473637
Didn't know that, but they are common names for people from English speaking countries is what I mean
>>
>>79473592
> Gypsies love their anglo names
here white trash give anglo names
>>
>>79473592
same, anglo names are trash people territory.
a girl in highschool was named Jessica. With a polish last name. So I asked whether her mother is english/american or something. All she had to say was "no, my parents just fucking hate me"
>>
>>79473724
Yeah Jessica is here as well
Also Kimberley, what a crap holy fuck
>>
>>79471463
jej

but keep all those mohammeds and ahmeds, islam is really compatible with french law
>>
>>79473469
>discovered

was it hidden under a rock?
>>
>>79472314
Ophélie is a classical greek name, it hardly gets more traditional than that
>>
I saw a teenager named Sunnight (yes, like Sun-Night, and no it has no meaning in French) a few years ago, so I can tell you we already have some very stupid names in France
>>
>tfw going to live in Brittany soon.
So are these Bretons just a meme or what?
>>
>>79474044
Yes and no
They do have their unique culture but it's still France and like almost every other region they've been fucked by the government who wanted to unify France better during the 3rd Republic, so everyone speaks French and feels French for the most part in addition to Breton
>>
>>79473094
>the moment France invented the sheer concept of nation for the world to share is the moment it became a zombie nation

Ok
>>
>>79472314
Te suena Ofelia?
>>
>>79471463
>not name your son "Muhammad" and your daughter "Fatima"

siggydigg
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.