[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

National pride

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

>The cheapest sort of pride is national pride; for if a man is proud of his own nation, it argues that he has no qualities of his own of which he can be proud; otherwise he would not have recourse to those which he shares with so many millions of his fellowmen. The man who is endowed with important personal qualities will be only too ready to see clearly in what respects his own nation falls short, since their failings will be constantly before his eyes. But every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.
>>
>>79463411
we Greeks are proud people and superior to other creatures
>>
>>79463439
Good for you.
>>
>>79463411
t. nigger
>>
>>79463531
>finnish intellectual
>>
>>79463556
what did you say?
>>
>>79463678
It's a quote by Schopenhauer and you reply is "t. nigger". Pretty dumb.
>>
>>79463411
Quoting German philosophers is the cheapest kind of philosofy of destructive nihilism and childish rebellion.
>>
>>79463701
t. braapzilian
>>
>>79463411
t. brazil
>>
>>79463739
>>79463749
t. Schopenhauer.
The whole OP is a quote.
>>
>>79463758
t. Schopenhauer
>>
>>79463733
Can you refute him? You can use other philosophers to do it.
>>
>>79463847
Yeah. Biologically humans are merely the leaves on the branches of the same tree. Just like Darwins tree of life. Pretending not to be part of and in unity with the rest is ridiculous. And being proud of the achievements of the group that you are merely a tiny part of is a logical thing to do, because the progress of your evolutionary branch depends on the security and prosperity of your group. In a broader sense we're even part of the same ecosystem and all our building blocks are continuously recycle. Even the ancient greeks knew we were part of the same universe.

People are divided by language and culture and race. Nationalism is one of the few things that has been shown to effectively unite people across cultural lines. There really is no alternative in uniting so many people in this world.

Not to mention the nation itself exists out of necessity. A government and a people cannot support the entire world, so the government uses the nation as a means to make a distinction between people it can and cannot support.
>>
>>79463996
The fist part is about individualism by the way. Which is a pretty silly concept. Humans can't even survive on their own.
>>
>>79464019
>>79463996
Ideally you'd want to unite the entire world under one nation. But as that isn't possible due to cultural differences the closet thing to it you will find is the creation of nations and perhaps a supranational organisation overseeing it all.

But pretending to be a unique snowflake that fights the world on his own is ridiculous.
>>
>>79463439
pay bendts
>>
File: 20130602_debt2.jpg (92KB, 490x545px) Image search: [Google]
20130602_debt2.jpg
92KB, 490x545px
>>79464089
manipulative chechen subhuman with strong inferiority complex
very jealous of Greeks

seen as subhuman by subhumans (slavs)
>>
>>79463996
He didn't say that nations don't need to exist he was talking about national pride.

People are divided by their own bodies. You can only live your life. Not matter how much you're proud of.. I don't know... Vermeer, you'll never have 1% of his talent.
>>79464065
Yes, but you can only live your own life.
>>
>>79464136
You can't live your own life. You are being lived the majority of your time. Except if you somehow manage to achieve financial freedom.
>>
>>79463733
then you must point out his flaw now.
this is perfect explanation of right wing faggots.
>>
>>79464153
The majority of your life, from elementary school to your pension, you are put in service of the group. Until the life is drained from you and you get put in retirement.
>>
>>79463411
Easier now:
"Nationalism is hunger power tempered with self-deception" - Orwell.

>>79463733
Not the quoted or the OP, however your pet peeve against German philosophy has zero to do with its validity.
(And not all German philosophers are Nietzsche by the way.)
>>
>>79464121
Would you mind using a tripcode or at least namefagging? I really don't want to filter Germans or any and all references to Greeks, and your posts are simply noise.
>>
>>79463733
What a retarded rebuttal
>>
>>79464429
What a retarded rebuttal
>>
OP's Schopenhauer quote can be divided into the following affirmations:

Deontic: nationalism is cheap, of low value.
Epistemological: well-achieved people would rather have pride in other things than "muh nashun".

However in no moment >>79463996 ever touches it.

>>79464065
Appeal to nature plus strawman. The origin of nationalism is irrelevant to the deontic affirmation, and with "pretend to be a unique snowflake", you're just putting words in others' mouths.
>>
>>79464429
He's just your average /pol/tard with his ego hurt because he saw an aggression against his favourite mythology. Eh, those are funny.
>>
>>79464472
>Deontic: nationalism is cheap, of low value.
A meaningless phrase. What do I have to say about it?

>Epistemological: well-achieved people would rather have pride in other things than "muh nashun".
I think individualism is bullshit. That's the whole point. Being proud of your group to it's largest extend is a lot more logical as life is a team effort. A finger being proud of the achievement of the finger instead of the body makes no sense.
>>
>>79464488
>projecting this hard
>>
>>79464602
The whole argument of Schopenhauer is calling other people lacking of quality.
I have a hard time to take his argument seriously.
>>
>>79464555
>A meaningless phrase. What do I have to say about it?
Just because you don't get its meaning doesn't mean it has no meaning.

It's a deontic statement. To contradict it, you need some other deontic statement, such as showing lack of nationalism is "bad" or has undesirable consequences.

>I think individualism is bullshit.
Opinions are unable to refute epistemological statements, so you're just barking words. To show the statement is false, you need to present some data that shows well-achieved people have pride on the gov they pay taxes to, or crap like that.

Ironically your [crap] answer to the second affirmation could work against the first... if it wasn't strawmanning so hard.
The world isn't divided into "people who get in all fours for their govs, so they can die with rifles stucks in their arses" and "individualist people". So try again.

>>79464622
I literally TL;DR his argument. You're still missing his point.
(Did the OP die or what?)
>>
On quoting German philosophers.

Yeah, yeah, both of us know the average underage philosopher wannabe kid loves some Nietzschean nihilism and will use Thus Spoke Zarathustra as deodorant. However most of them don't even know Schopenhauer, let alone quote him; and they kinda miss the point of Nietzsche, he was more about criticizing than proposing.
>>
>>79464622
Actually it's true, the reality of mankind is fucking depressing. if average man like you instantly understood his reality, he would probably jump off from top of a building. now you defending yourself for not killing yourself.
>>
>>79464555
>I think individualism is bullshit. That's the whole point. Being proud of your group to it's largest extend is a lot more logical as life is a team effort. A finger being proud of the achievement of the finger instead of the body makes no sense.

So you basically agree with Schopenhauer, because you are telling us that as an individual you are worthless, and so you can only feel pride in the achievements of a bigger group.

What you fail to notice is that the achievements of your group are really the achievements of other individuals.
>>
nationalism is a disease, people being proud of what other people have done
>>
>>79465043
I wouldn't describe it as disease though, but rather a tribal mindset. It's natural... and still crap.
>>
>>79463758
Kys
>>
>>79465004
>you are telling us that as an individual you are worthless
As long as you contribute to any part of the group I cannot call anyone worthless.
>and so you can only feel pride in the achievements of a bigger group.
You are the group.
>What you fail to notice is that the achievements of your group are really the achievements of other individuals.
Indeed, that's what I won't acknowledge. Because it's simply untrue. The group sets the conditions for the formation of the individual and the achievements of an individual, which makes it a group effort by definition.

The concept of valuing individual achievements is pretty silly in itself as well. As the worth of the achievements of the individual are measured by to what extend they contributed to the group. The individual can take pride in his contributions, but it would be better if he took pride in what he contributed to. Because that is where the value of his actions lie.
>>
>>79463758
I take that back, the Dutch guy is even worse holy shit
>>
>>79463411
national pride is something very masculine, it isn't about a dick contest it is about aknowledging that your people come first. It's a family.

btw this fool confuses national pride with jingoism
>>
What would an achievement of an individual look like?
>>
>>79465215
>You are the group.

Asian hive mindset.
>>
>>79465297
Like Isaac Newton
>>
>>79465297
This black man explains it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=danYFxGnFxQ
>>
For ONCE it's not a burger shitting up a thread
I am proud son
>>
>>79465411
There are no events without process. His achievement is an event. And everyone applauds Newton for it. But people ignore the process that came before it.

Newton himself acknowledges he achieved what he did by standing on the shoulders of giants. You could argue his contribution on top of the shoulders is his individual achievement. After all, perhaps nobody would ever have been able to replicate his work. But that wouldn't do real justice to how the achievement came to be. It would require you to willfully ignore the process.
>>
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14KB, 300x358px) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14KB, 300x358px
>>79463411
>It is only the man whose intellect is clouded by his sexual instinct that could give that stunted, narrow-shouldered, broad-hipped, and short-legged race the name of the fair sex; for the entire beauty of the sex is based on this instinct. One would be more justified in calling them the unaesthetic sex than the beautiful. Neither for music, nor for poetry, nor for fine art have they any real or true sense and susceptibility, and it is mere mockery on their part, in their desire to please, if they affect any such thing.
>This makes them incapable of taking a purely objective interest in anything, and the reason for it is, I fancy, as follows. A man strives to get direct mastery over things either by understanding them or by compulsion. But a woman is always and everywhere driven to indirect mastery, namely through a man; all her direct mastery being limited to him alone. Therefore it lies in woman’s nature to look upon everything only as a means for winning man, and her interest in anything else is always a simulated one, a mere roundabout way to gain her ends, consisting of coquetry and pretence. Hence Rousseau said, Les femmes, en général, n’aiment aucun art, ne se connoissent à aucun et n’ont aucun génie (Lettre à d’Alembert, note xx.). Every one who can see through a sham must have found this to be the case.
>>
>>79463411
>Be ashamed of your tribe's deeds.
>Do not be proud of their achievements.
>t. Shlomo Noseberg.

Schopenhauer was the equivalent of today's angry youtube pundits t.b.h.
>>
>>79466263
Schopenhauer was a bitter old crank.
>>
>>79466506
German philosophy is aimed at the (self)destruction of societies.
And every society that has followed it has self destructed.
>>
>>79466506
>>Be ashamed of your tribe's deeds.
Why do you just make shit up?
He is saying: National pride is cheap and people who haven't accomplished anything will have national pride. Something he shares with millions.
>>
>>79466756
The anti-nationalist sentiment is also a perfect breeding ground for imperialism. For all nations are unjust. And conflict allows you to live to its fullest.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.