[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

T-V distinction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: TV.png (247KB, 1280x592px) Image search: [Google]
TV.png
247KB, 1280x592px
I wish English had T-V distinction.

>can subtly insult someone by deliberately using the wrong you
>can mess with people by pretending to get offended whenever their poor language skills and/or social skills make them use the wrong you

Francophones, Hispanophones, and others are only letting the T-V distinction fall into disuse because they take it for granted.
>>
>>79193864
>T-V distinction
I wish we had no distinction, you don't how hard it is to try to chose the right one in order to not offend anyone.
I was talking to my doctor today and wasn't sure if I should be calling him by tu or usted
>>
>>79194206
>my doctor
Obviously by usted, this is a no-brainer.
>>
>>79194224
he was younger than me
>>
>>79194230
He was still your doctor, he was the one with authority there. Unless he was being a massive rude cunt, your friend or your subordinate, usted is the default.
>>
>>79193864
I usually call French /int/olerants vous. If they call me tu, I drop it and call them tu. This is the convention, right?
>>
I thought this was related to TV channels fuck you
>>
File: 1465787200922.gif (4MB, 752x420px) Image search: [Google]
1465787200922.gif
4MB, 752x420px
>having distinction
>>
>>79194248
I guess you'r right. In the end I didn't use either.
But it's still weird to treat someone younger by usted. I'm just 25 but I think the problem will continue as I get older.
>>
>>79194206
I always use "usted" with anyone in a "higher rank"; teachers, doctors, businessmen, engineers, etc. But if you're speaking to someone who's in your rank or lower (classmates/students, store clerks, delivery boy...), it's ok to use "tú".
If that person who's in a higher rank is around your age or younger maybe you can drop the usted and call them by "tú" if they let you.
Although usted should be used with anyone who's at least 10-15 years older than you unless you're told otherwise, even if they're in a lower rank.
>>
>>79194306
Me too. We better get out of here before they find out how dumb we are.
>>
>>79194687
I know the perfect place
>>
we actually have three but they can be used in any ocassion and with anyone so i guess it's the same
>>
>>79193864
It used to, but French speakers ruined it.
Much like they ruined your country.
>>
>>79193864
We have "thou" you leaf. It just has fallen out of popularity. Thou canst still use it to linguistically mess with people. Also thy map seems to be partially wrong.
>>
>>79195513
That has nothing to do with what he is talking about
>>
>>79193864
We have a three level distinction in that the highest level of deferrence is to address the other party in the third person (would They like anything?). Of course it's gone out of use since the end of feudalism 150 yrs ago.
>>
>>79195585
؟؟؟??? Why not? It is the T-V of Early Modern English. Thou es como tu y you es como usted.
>>
>>79195585
Bro, don't just say some stupid shit and leave, explain yourself haha.
>>
File: 1475419648927.png (50KB, 960x900px) Image search: [Google]
1475419648927.png
50KB, 960x900px
>>79193864
we acutally have 6, of which 5 are commonly used today
>>
>>79193864
We actually have three (second singular, third singular, second plural)
>>
>>79197426
I don't think plurality makes a difference. By that logic Spanish would have 3 or 4.
>>
File: g2.png (17KB, 756x756px) Image search: [Google]
g2.png
17KB, 756x756px
>>79193864
>>79197319

>second person (tegezés):
>informal
>second person verbs

>third person 1 (önözés):
>formal
>you call the other person 'Ön'
>slightly more fraternizing than 'magázás'
>third person verbs

>third person 2 (magázás)
>formal
>you call the other person "Maga"
>third person verbs
>it's more common than 'önözés' if you don't know the other person very well, but they're largely interchangeable

>third person 3 (kendezés)
>semi-formal
>you call the other person "Kend" (male) or "Kegyed" (female)
>third person
>not used since gommunism
>was universally used in rural areas instead of "Ön" and "Maga"

>third person 3 (titular)
>more formal
>you use it if the person you're talking to is of a much higher rank (like if you're talking to your teacher)
>you call the other person by his/her title and use third person verbs

>auxiliary verb 'tetszikezés'
>semi-formal
>you make sentences like "does ... fancy you"
>you usually address the other person as in a three-person level
>usually used if the other person is much older than you
>>
>>79197983
you also use the titular form if their rank is important (as in a speech)
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.