[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post yfw Americans don't have any stately homes.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 9

File: Longleat_House_2012.jpg (1MB, 3892x1829px) Image search: [Google]
Longleat_House_2012.jpg
1MB, 3892x1829px
Post yfw Americans don't have any stately homes.
>>
I saw Hearst castle irl. Idk what the big deal is with going to these places, I went to Versailles too. I mean, they're big homes, great.
>>
File: smug.jpg (33KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
33KB, 500x374px
post yfw americans don't have a monarch
>>
>>79153256
Is that where you live?
>>
File: Biltmore_Estate.jpg (378KB, 1039x360px) Image search: [Google]
Biltmore_Estate.jpg
378KB, 1039x360px
>>79153256
There are a few large estates, but most of those were donated (Dodge Estate) or turned into businesses (Biltmore Estate). Pic related, it's the Biltmore Estate.
>>
File: 1280px-Meadowbrook_Hall.jpg (232KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Meadowbrook_Hall.jpg
232KB, 1280x960px
>>79153413
And this is what used to be the Dodge Estate. Donated to a local university.
>>
>>79153301
Many of them were built before your country even existed.

The one in the OP was completed in 1580, which is 27 years before Englishmen landed at what would be the first English colony in the Americas (which, as I'm sure you're aware, was Jamestown, Virginia).

>>79153376
Yes.
>>
>>79153571
Jamestown was just the first permanent one. They tried earlier with Roanoke in 1585.
>>
File: WaddesdonManor.jpg (1MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WaddesdonManor.jpg
1MB, 3872x2592px
>>79153413
Interesting. That one is about the same age as picture related, which was completed in 1889 (your one was finished in 1895).
>>
File: 2403420273_1d78840a60_b.jpg (670KB, 1024x951px) Image search: [Google]
2403420273_1d78840a60_b.jpg
670KB, 1024x951px
>>79153256
I think NJ is the only one to have our Royal Governor's estate left, our Proprietary House

it looks like a municipal prison though
>>
>>79153452
Just looked that one up. That's pretty cool, Tudor revival style. Quite cool to see that an American wanted to revive centuries-old English architecture that otherwise doesn't exist in America.

>>79153658
True I did know that. First successful colony.
>>
File: Drumthwacket.jpg (389KB, 1024x450px) Image search: [Google]
Drumthwacket.jpg
389KB, 1024x450px
>>79153696
Current Governor's Mansion. Christie never stays here though, it's ok. it's really a shame Virginia's didn't survive it was probably the neatest. The current Williamsburg one is a complete reproduction except for the foundation

>>79153571
>Many of them were built before your country even existed.

that's neat throwing out a statement that wasn't even mentioned in the OP.
>Nice try kid, but as I'm sure you weren't aware my country is older!!!!!!!!!
I really respect your intelligence and keen eye for history, friend
>>
>>79153732
I've been inside it, actually. I went to the university and they hold special events like an annual ball there. It's quite beautiful, if I say so myself.

I've never actually visited Britain, are any of the estates there open to tourists? Or are they all still used by aristocratic families? I've been to places in Europe, but obviously those are open because so many aristocrats were killed.
>>
File: Ipswich_St_Nicholas_St.jpg (212KB, 1076x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ipswich_St_Nicholas_St.jpg
212KB, 1076x768px
>>79153452
Also here's some Tudor buildings from over here, the vertical wooden beams are very distinctive. The pink one is from the 1400s and the orange one from the 1500s.

>>79153696
That's pretty cool. Georgian.

>>79153818
Pretty huge. Why doesn't Christie stay there?

>Nice try kid, but as I'm sure you weren't aware my country is older!!!!!!!!!
I just think it's interesting.

>>79153843
>I've never actually visited Britain, are any of the estates there open to tourists? Or are they all still used by aristocratic families?
The one in the OP was one of the first to open to the public. But nowadays most of them are (not all though). It's an easy way for the owners to make money, especially since they cost so much to maintain, it can help pay for that.

Some of them end up in the hands of the National Trust which is basically a charity which owns quite a few of them and maintains them (and also lets the public see them in order to raise the funds for maintenance). I guess they end up like this because the landed gentry of this country don't make as much money as they used to.
>>
File: westover.jpg (218KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
westover.jpg
218KB, 1280x720px
>>79154158
>I just think it's interesting.

my point is that you're essentially expecting us to not discern architectural periods by having to state its age in relation to the American colonies; you must understand how condescending that is. It's not a big deal, and maybe I myself am giving my countrymen too much credit; some posters here are kind of unaware

As for Christie, I'd assume it's not very convenient for him to get to plus it's near Princeton University and NJ has a deep divide of school loyalties/social class and he isn't from that background and may actively be making a point of showing his disdain

Westover Plantation, Virginia, (1750)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.