[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Education in the West vs East

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 32

File: 1503966240707.jpg (162KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1503966240707.jpg
162KB, 1024x683px
Why is the education system so damn liberal in the West, and so stringent in the East? In South Korea the majority of high school students spend most if not all of their free time studying whilst here time is spent pissing around and barely passing. I personally find the Education system in England to be pathetic. We are never taught discipline and the only people who succeed are those who were brought up by parents who taught them hard work. This isn't something that a child or teen can develop, so a lenient school is only going to help reinforce laziness.

At least the kids are "living", I suppose. In SK and to a lesser extent Japan students are disciplined to a ridiculous extent and have most of their freedom taken away. They never get to enjoy their youth but at least they're taught the value of hard work. I think that Japan does it best: there's a lot of pressure and discipline for the students to develop properly without sacrificing their youth. Thoughts?
>>
>>79000847
The East
>education until high school is uptight as fuck, but college education is much more lax (with exception of a few elite colleges and special majors like medicine)

The West
>education until high school is lax as fuck but college education becomes a lot harder (ok except for meme degrees like wymyn's studies or other humanities/social science caps)

T. Korean who did high school in Korea and went the US for college

One of my Korean friends say even classes from colleges like University of Arkansas or Louisiana State University (kinda like mid or mid-upper tier uni in the US) was harder than ones in one of top 3 unis in S Korea.
>>
>>79000957
Thanks, that's all I wanted, really.
>>
File: Eastern Germany Math.png (1MB, 2444x1140px) Image search: [Google]
Eastern Germany Math.png
1MB, 2444x1140px
>>79000957
fucking pathetic

>hey guys let's make life a living hell learning basic calculus that a graphic calculator can do but throw everything out of the windows and just skip learning useful stuff after high school

it's a shame western countries get beaten by this illogical system
>>
>>79000847
knowledge is supposed to be liberal
>>
File: pisa2015.png (650KB, 1200x1661px) Image search: [Google]
pisa2015.png
650KB, 1200x1661px
>>79000847
hmmmmm
>>
>>79001333
>it's a shame western countries get beaten by this illogical system
Yea because you guys have done even more illogical thing of establishing meme majors in uni like wymyn's studies and niggers' studies.

But no worries, feminazis and multikulti are taking over worst Korea and Taiwan at least and Asia will slowly accept utter stupidities like feminazi and will fuck up education like yours
>>
hard work doesnt matter
>>
>>79000957
aren't entry exams to Uni's in East Asia pretty difficult though? Like Imperial Exam tier?
>>
>>79001436
Entry yes. After entry, people don't really study but they will work hard on something else that will make them to get jobs (e.g. civil officer exam, etc)
>>
>>79001376
why are we sooo smart?
>>
File: Nobel Prize.jpg (100KB, 754x754px) Image search: [Google]
Nobel Prize.jpg
100KB, 754x754px
>>79001395
where are the asian countries?
>>
>>79001471
It sounds like your pre-Uni educational system has more to do with grinding down and forming the child for society than actual education. But maybe that's the goal of education of youth in general
>>
>>79001574
Yes Asian education is to make 'people useful for society' not to actually educate people.

That's why I left essentially.

>>79001544
So what? All of those people eventually go to the US for more funding and opportunities anyway.
>>
>>79001544
Nobel is politics. I'm glad you won I guess, but research not written in the committee's favorite languages are difficult to win.

Do you think American music is popular because they are good too?
>>
>>79001478
No idea anon
>>
>>79001614
>Do you think American music is popular because they are good too?
Compared to German pop music American pop music is actually entertaining, compared to German rap music US rap music is trash though.
Can you offer another metric to compare education systems?
>>
File: deine AltenWerdenKotzen.jpg (38KB, 250x391px) Image search: [Google]
deine AltenWerdenKotzen.jpg
38KB, 250x391px
>>79001648
>compared to German rap music US rap music is trash though.

sometimes I really hate you Germans. Your contemporary culture is just so fucking gay
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 600x395px
>>79001544
... muh, our German technology is best ...
>>
East Asians think that putting in more time and money always means better results so they force their kids to go to cram schools and tuition.

A motivated self-learner > Unmotivated person who attends classes every waking hour
>>
>>79001333
>dumbest parts of germany also the most sandnigger parts

really makes me think.
>>
>>79001648
You totally don't get it.
Nobels doesn't have coverage for researchers doing their research in non-western language. You guys won a lot more because they read your researches a lot more than East Asian's. Stop bragging wit Nobels. Also I'm not saying our education is better too, because as I said it, Nobels isn't a good measure.

Why did I brought up pop music? Not to compare education, but to make a point about how unfair counting Nobel is, as a measure of education system.
When an American musician make a song, 2 billions of people can understand clearly what it's about, and may decide to make a purchase. For Japanese it's only 100 million people who can actually understand what the song is about. Same goes for hollywood movie VS foreign language movie, or western researchers VS Asian researchers.
>>
>>79001669
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qhwJtSCAT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YCsA3uiCg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLmJv4ElNRE

>>79001694
made me laugh, that one is good
>>
>>79001753
You can publish in English though
>>
>>79001694
Mitsubishi did the same thing + Takata airbag defects
>>
>>79001905
You know it's not as easy for us as for you. There are bound to be less English paper from Japan than Germany and you fucking know it.

Anyway that's how Nobel is.
>>
>>79000847
>In South Korea

Let's not get into extremes. Also, if you dont know what a bread shuttle is, you shouldn't praise SK's education system.
>>
>>79001856
you know more japs have won a nobel prize the last decade than germans have right?

it takes like 20-30+ years of having a career to be considered typically and half the japs get placed into american institutions.
>>
>>79001856
Even K-pop is better than those.
>>
>>79002047
that's because you are a girl
>>
>>79000847
Western pre-tertiary education used to be of comparatively high quality, if not better, than in Asia. Western universities are still in most ways superior.

The reason why a disparity now exists is because the West admitted too many minorities, chiefly Middle Easterners and Blacks, into their general education system as a result of immigration in Europe and desegregation in the United States. As a results, standards have to be drastically lowered.

Western universities are still high quality because they are mostly white for now, as the immigrant population is young, the decline is most obvious can be seen in the education system from ages 6-18. But it is now possible to see teaching standards and student quality in Western universities starting to slip as well, the only maintain their standards through braindraining from the rest of the world.
>>
nigger, anything before university is useless

its sole reason is to keep kids locked up while parents work
>>
File: 1502796320148.jpg (44KB, 569x506px) Image search: [Google]
1502796320148.jpg
44KB, 569x506px
>>79002003
>portugal knows bread shuttle
Are you Korean immigrant or tourist?
>>
File: pashiri.png (72KB, 480x423px) Image search: [Google]
pashiri.png
72KB, 480x423px
>>79002328
Hey you, get sweet bean bread, now
>>
>>79001544
Nobel prizes are for white people jerk other white people off
>>
>>79001856
these suck even for rap

good job with your knockoff nigger music you pathetic german worm
>>
File: 170814_VW.jpg (761KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
170814_VW.jpg
761KB, 2000x1500px
>>79001694
>>
>>79001856
You're pathetic. Rap music is degenerate trash no matter the language. If you want to brag about German music at least take the classics like Beethoven and Bach. They gave more to the world than all rappers in all the world combined.
>>
>>79002328
neither. i simply used to follow a couple of manhwas and learned a thing or two through them.
>>
>>79002142
>The reason why a disparity now exists is because the West admitted too many minorities, chiefly Middle Easterners and Blacks, into their general education system as a result of immigration in Europe and desegregation in the United States. As a results, standards have to be drastically lowered.
That's bs. It doesn't have to do anything with race. During Europe's imperial times only about 5% of the population went to uni, nowadays it's like 40%. So it's no wonder that uni in particular and the entire preparatory educational system before that in general went from elite tier to normal pleb tier. And that change is simply due to the fact that more and more jobs require high qualifications since most of the less demanding jobs, which in earlier times fed the bulk of the population in Western countries, got automated for the most part and the rest went to emerging economies.
>>
>>79000847
our education is shit too, designed to eradicate individualistic thinking during childhood in order to produce mindless working drones serving for rich.

Most Japanese have no their own thoughts, completely directed by others. Western people are much more individualistic and likely human.
>>
>>79000847
The West (especially Anglos) tend to have a very cartoon-like picture of East Asian societies
>>
>>79003512
>>
>>79001940
If a published paper is compelling enough in the scientific sphere it will gain attention regardless of language barrier.
As >>79003399 said and extending further out to asian culture in general, education there seems to starve out creative/abstract thinking in favor of simply rote memorization (i.e. becoming a machine of society). Just the idea of cram schools is laughable to me.
You can't really create worthwhile ideas anyways with such a system if you're only taught how things work, and not the reason why they work.
>>
>>79003399

Many people here says that individualism erases humanism.
>>
>>79001376
why are americans so fucking stupid?
>>
>>79003512
>>79003531
>pisa mexican
One of the best posters.
>>
>>79003567
too much of either does

It depends on the country, smaller nations like japan and korea might not have this luxury to indulge in individualism so much due to lack of natural resources and living space, but larger countries like china could circumvent this due to larger populations.

>>79003537
this really depends, if you like what you do, chances are you'll seek out yourself why they work, the number of people in this category are growing in asia.

But fundamentally it's not so much being taught how they work, its seeking out for yourself why and how they work
>>
>>79003589
Because at the end of the day it's what comes out of the universities that matters.

American thinkers and entrepreneurs creating new industries VS replaceable Asian salarymen who all dress the same and can only follow orders
>>
>>79003333
If that is the case, the Asian countries would have experienced a corresponding drop in education quality since rates of population attending university has also gone up even more drastically over the same time.

The drop in education quality is entirely due to political imperative to dumb it down for minorities. You fucking, vegetarian, multicolor hair refugee-welcoming homosexual
>>
>>79003589
Saturated fats clog the brain according to research. Also, bad genetics.
>>
>>79003617
Japan is hardly small when compared to European nations. Singapore is comparable to Nordic countries in terms of population but we'll never produce an IKEA, LEGO or Nokia.
>>
>>79003622
The people in the us who study stem are chinks who go to taiwan and design your motherboard., you ingrate. I went to the top canadian university and when I worked as a teaching assistant almost everybody was a chink.
>>
>>79003644

We should not want to have a Nokia. Do you know how badly the collapse of Nokia fucked the Finnish economy in the 2000s? Its tech sector is only now recovering due to the start up revolution.
>>
>>79003660
*almost every student
>>
>>79003660
t. Chang
>>
>>79003669
>We should not want to have a Nokia
This is the problem with Asians. Too afraid of risk.
>>
>>79003617
Wow, i don't think i've ever actually witnessed IN PERSON this amount of retarded busy words.

>You know, the SMALL nations like Japan(127 million people)
>Yeah, they can indule in this "individualism" thing, but large nations like china, they just get to bypass it because google told me so...
>>
>>79003700
japan is small in comparison, and sure it has a somewhat large landmass, but most of it is mountains , jungles or forests.

China is much more bigger, and has a less rigid society than japan.
>>79003695
most western countries have had a longer history with modern technology, and it's not like asia does'nt have its own tech powerhouses
>>
>>79003695

Risk, like opening your asshole to refugees? The Europeans thought they could do it because it was only a little risk. Look at them now
>>
>>79003783
We open our assholes to poos, pinoys and chinks. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
>>
>>79001544
>trying to piss on asians by pulling up a prize that is weighed heavily for westerners
what happened to the intelligent germans in /int/?
>>
>>79003669

It wasn't only Nokia. Our paper industry made huge investments to printing paper in the decade before the crisis, since technological progress had meant more paper in the past (more newspapers, office printers, faxes etc.), but now it went to the polar opposite direction and they make their money by producing pulp which is the epitome of a cheap bulk produce. Furthermore our mechanical industries are focused on investment goods, such as factory machinery which really fucks us up during a global recession compared to economies with more weight on consumer products such as Sweden.
>>
File: 1.jpg (325KB, 1024x1432px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
325KB, 1024x1432px
>>79003531
>>
>>79003512
>>79003531
>>79003836
Fuck off PISA beaner.
>>
File: 2.jpg (303KB, 1024x1432px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
303KB, 1024x1432px
>>79003836
>>
>>79001376
Singapore and Macao are city size, smaller than Tokyo.
If we did the test in Tokyo only, the result is better than the one in Japan all.
>>
File: 3.jpg (287KB, 1024x1432px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
287KB, 1024x1432px
>>79003851
>>
File: 4.jpg (227KB, 1024x1432px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
227KB, 1024x1432px
>>79003870
>>
>>79000847
idk the worst of two worlds are east Euro "schools".
They don't promote drinking/drugs/smoking but also do nothing to stop it, and don't really look down on it.
>girls as young as 14 go clubbing
>boys as young as 13 smoke
No discipline, yet no liberalism... rlly makes u think
>>
>>79002003
south korean education is the worst because of bread shuttle?
m8 i also think korean education system is fucked but you got the wrong example
dont talk about bullying in front of Japan
>>
>>79003859
We can't shove our retards into the countryside.
>>
File: C-LocnnW0AAX9XE.jpg large.jpg (170KB, 800x1260px) Image search: [Google]
C-LocnnW0AAX9XE.jpg large.jpg
170KB, 800x1260px
>>
>>79003902
seems like thats just how they make their lives though
i dont think force them to be asian students would make them better and more productive people
thats just how average people of yours are imo
>>
>>79000847
>We are never taught discipline and the only people who succeed are those who were brought up by parents who taught them hard work.
Correction: the people who succeed have a high scholastic aptitude. In short: they´re more intelligent than your average tradesman or lorry driver. This holds true in every society. The government does not discriminate or segregate in these matters, at least not significantly - large disparities in individual IQ does.
>>
>>79003938

I wonder what's level of underreporting in different countries.
>>
>>79003938

Wow, Canada
>>
>>79000847
>We are never taught discipline and the only people who succeed are those who were brought up by parents who taught them hard work.

>implying you need parents to teach you discipline and hard work
Why don't you stop being a cuck? Or is this a European thing, where you have to be led around on a leash by your master to attain your "destiny"?
>>
>>79003629
>If that is the case, the Asian countries would have experienced a corresponding drop in education quality
They have.
The fact they are ahead in rankings like PISA compared to Western countries is due to two main reasons. First, the tests are taken at a time in life when they are all preparing to get the best results because it determines whether or not they will be accepted at the handful of top universities in their countries that they all wanna go to. Second, they are pressured by their parents to this gruesome learning regime in a quite extreme way, which can also be read in disproportionately higher sucuide rates compared to the West.
>>
>>79004115
Do you love Japan? do you love memes?
>>79000363
>>
>>79003629
>If that is the case, the Asian countries would have experienced a corresponding drop in education quality
Your kind never had and never will have quality tertiary or secondary education, because you were - and still are - stuck obsessing over the Chinaman-invented concept of advancement by superior rote memorization of details largely useless in the grand scheme of things.

>The drop in education quality is entirely due to political imperative to dumb it down for minorities.
The percentage of High School students taking AP classes hasn´t dropped noticeably over the recent few decades. Letting more people partake in the most simple courses legally available in institutions providing secondary education is not a mark of "dumbing it down", but rather a political necessity that has very little impact on the later educational success experienced by the brightest HS graduates.
>>
>>79003756
>China is much more bigger, and has a less rigid society than japan.
China is as rigid as Japan in the areas of the country worth mentioning.
>>
>>79003091
lel
>>
>>79003851
This is accurate. Everyone say nice thing about Finnish education and I can say that Japanese don't spend as much time in school as you fag pretend to know. Except for cram school shitter, which personally I am against and tell everyone I know to fuck off and go play baseball instead.

Also, bottom tier like Thailand is also accurate. You have no idea how many years I have spent in Thailand and their education system.
>>
>>79004193
Rather than improve the quality of teaching, Singaporean universities are gaming ranking metrics to look good.

The elites still send their kids to Western universities anyway, showing how much faith they have in local education.
>>
>>79004223
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/12/china-education-system/420234/

there is a gradual shift
>>
>>79003399
I see this claim all the time always think it's bulllshit when you consider Japan's cultural and artistic output to any country in the West. I don't know what your education is like outside of anime, but every HS anime I see has art and cooking classes, two classes that have been drastically cut here in order to fit in more bullshit classes like social studies or more tests or even just more core classes like math because retards just can't understand the material.

Individualism is harmful when you don't have respect and discipline; every class here has that one asshole that constantly disrupts the lessons and ruins the flow of concentration and teaching. There are classes that I ended up hating, not because of the teacher or the subject, but because I knew that one asshole was going to be there and the teacher would constantly have to interrupt the class to deal with their bullshit.
>>
>>79004277
it's not profitable enough of an interest for them to do so sadly, when you cram ~6 mill people into an island this happens
>>
>>79003851
WTF!!!!

JAPAN IS OVER!!!!
>>
>>79004278
It's lip service like Singapore. Culture is responsible for the obsession over good test results rather than actual learning. Singaporeans still study past year exam papers and what is likely to come out instead of trying to gain mastery over the subject.
>>
>>79002003
>bread shuttle
How do you know that
>>
>>79004339
I think the Korean army bullying is scarier. Is it true that superiors still punch and slap people?
>>
>>79004373
Not anymore. Now you can get jailed for that
>>
>>79004315
i doubt it, I personally want to gain mastery over AI, infosec and computing related stuff, and the PRC has much more to loose if they merely go with "lip service" given they have much more at stake than us
>>
>>79004373
that was like 10 years ago i think
a friend of mine just called me who's in army now
he sounded just fine
>>
File: 1480463859821.png (272KB, 1200x885px) Image search: [Google]
1480463859821.png
272KB, 1200x885px
>>79000847
>Why is the education system so damn liberal in the West, and so stringent in the East?
It wasn't always like this. There are people in the Netherlands alive today who remember a time when teachers held strict discipline in class and could slam a wooden spoon on your hand if you were being disobedient (in France simply speaking any language other than French on school grounds [excepting classes treating foreign languages of course] was grounds for corporal punishment, would work great on Arabs I imagine!). Education was less accessible at the time but also strictly superior. Dutch university students at the time spoke okay-ish English and pretty solid French and German, and were expected to read books in all three languages. Nowadays the average Dutchman speaks just enough English to have a low level conversation while French and German are abandoned, and books in either of these three languages are barely read (yet for some reason we retain the reputation of learning a lot of languages).

The East has abandoned corporal punishment, but they are still "stuck" in the 1950s mindset in terms of education. In the meanwhile the West went for ~*POSTMODERNISM*~ and everything became about like, feelings man. And there was also the false dichotomy between skill and facts, leading to history being taught in such a way where you don't even need to remember dates.

>They never get to enjoy their youth
Psssh... why do you think so many anime take place in high school? That's actually the most relaxed it gets for the Nips. After entering the workforce it only gets worse and worse.

>>79001376
>PISA
Notice that it focuses on math, reading and science. The more objective oriented Asians focus on that a lot, while in the West a lot more emphasis is placed on wishy-washy nonsense.

>>79004315
>Culture is responsible for the obsession over good test results
As opposed to the Western satisfaction with barely sufficient scores.
>>
>>79004512
Corporal punishment should be brought back to schools. They stopped here about 10 years ago except for the severest offences. It is only a matter of time before the classrooms become uncontrollable as in Europe, full of niggers and little Paki shits, or the US, where students openly defy the teachers and disrespect them. Teachers cannot do their job if their authority is undermined. Children must be beaten often and well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAmFaDzy4vQ
>>
>>79004479
yeah you very much talk like you know very well about asian life
>>
working hard in school memorizing stuff sucks. Western got it right. Life isn't worth it just to
>>
>>79004566
>obsessed with strict discipline and old-testament execution of authority
You embody the "asian ant hivemind mentality"-stereotype. I´m glad to learn that you´re stuck in a decidedly inferior, feudalist culture - that leaves more wealth and power for my kind.
>>
>>79004679
>it leaves more wealth and power for the Somalis
>>
>>79004479
>Let me tell you about your country
>>
>>79004679
>my kind
but you are mongoloid like us. Don't deny this fact. Why are you self0hate so much?
>>
File: 1470937015629.jpg (320KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470937015629.jpg
320KB, 1280x720px
>>79004679
>that leaves more wealth and power for my kind
>>
>>79004720
this
hungarians and finns are honorary asians

>>79004629
i wish you guys had a more specialist oriented education, something to the equivalent of a polytechnic here where you can choose specific courses to your liking
>>
File: 1m (2).jpg (284KB, 1024x1432px) Image search: [Google]
1m (2).jpg
284KB, 1024x1432px
>>
File: jfk.jpg (232KB, 1074x858px) Image search: [Google]
jfk.jpg
232KB, 1074x858px
Education has lots its sight over the years.

In Ancient Greece, rhetoric was a major part of education... We still have "argument clubs", but well you can see how belittling that is and how they don't really force it upon anyone. When you've got to present some group work in front of the class, it's always done so sloppily and barely taught how to do.

We should have classes on rhetoric, starting a business, taking part in politics, handling your personal non-entrepreneurial economics etc.
>>
File: 1m (1).jpg (235KB, 1024x1432px) Image search: [Google]
1m (1).jpg
235KB, 1024x1432px
>>79004769
>>
>>79004694

I feel sorry for the teachers in the West. Imagine coming to school everyday and facing a class like this. Raising and educating the next generation that will replace your race in its homeland. It is cuckpldry, not even the /pol/ kind, just straight up shoving your children out of the nest to raise some invader species
>>
File: 2m.jpg (257KB, 1024x1538px) Image search: [Google]
2m.jpg
257KB, 1024x1538px
>>79004789
>>
File: 3m.jpg (233KB, 1024x1387px) Image search: [Google]
3m.jpg
233KB, 1024x1387px
>>79004814
>>
>>79004804
does it matter, the greeks have nothing now to show of their rhetoric or glorious past, at least italians have nice food to brag about
>>
Toward a More Complex Formulation of International Comparison

The problems facing U.S. and Japanese educators are deeply tied up in the social and economic structure of each nation. As evidenced by trends in teen pregnancy, death by suicide, death by homicide, and substance abuse, America has significant problems to deal with, but so do the Japanese. Whereas newspaper articles draw attention to Japan's bullying problem and sensational cases of suicide, Japanese are also concerned about students "fleeing" math and science, student inability to apply school knowledge, violence in schools, and the perennial (if personal) worry of not getting into a good high school or college. As Stedman (1994) and Jaeger (1992) have noted—and this point bears remembering—general social conditions such as poverty or family structure appear to explain a significant percentage of the variation in international student achievement. More information on the condition of adolescent lives and the sometimes limited role that school plays in their lives is needed to forward general social policies in any modern nation (see Hurrelman & Engel, 1989; Hurrelman & Hamilton, 1996, for two excellent works that forward such international research perspectives). The increased use of qualitative studies of Japanese education are one source of such information.
>>
>>79004775
>We should have classes on rhetoric
Gymnasiums include that in language (äidinkieli) courses.
>starting a business
The library is that way.
>taking part in politics
The basics of our political system are taught in middle-school. Beyond that, it becomes too complicated a subject for the vast majority of each age group.
>handling your personal non-entrepreneurial economics
Living within one´s means comes naturally to the non-retarded part of the population, problem gamblers (which are found in every socioeconomic class) excluded. We can´t cure stupid.
>>
>>79004888
The first step in moving toward a more enlightened use of comparative educational data—test score or ethnographic— would be to abandon the old chestnut of one country's schools being "better" than those of another. Questions of national performance need to be contextualized in terms of social values, specific educational policies, and the structure of the educational systems being compared. This does not mean abandoning international comparison. (For several well-argued pieces regarding international comparisons of social studies, see Byrnes & Torney-Purta, 1995; Torney-Purta, 1986.) The objection that comparative studies of test scores are simply a case of comparing "apples and oranges" is neither new nor insightful (see Kirst, 1984). We can easily tailor our comparison to systems with similar structures (comprehensive, public school systems) with similar goals (universal, general education). As Kirst (1984, pp. 80-82) points out, analyses of U.S. and Japanese student achievement in the primary or middle grades are valid comparisons. American students attain a higher level of science competence in the fourth grade than do their Japanese counterparts, but the situation is reversed by the end of ninth grade. Subsequent questions that try to answer "why" or "what impact does this have on high school performance?" require different research methods.
>>
>>79004910
Are the observed differences the result of differences in the quality of instruction or teacher development? Are they correlated with social factors, such as the number of nonnative speakers in the system? What impact might national standards or a national curriculum have? Sorting out the degree of influence various factors have, as well as what interaction effects may occur, is a worthwhile goal in improving our understanding of the complex relationship between classroom practice, educational policy, values, and sociohistorical influences. But comparative qualitative work offers the opportunity to move beyond assumed links between "school quality" (i.e., mean test scores) and national economic "performance" (measured in GDP per capita).
>>
>>79004896
but greeks are poor and destitute, now being the middle ground for the EU and China, so basically they are stuck between the germans and chinese
>>
>>79000847
I wonder if this has something to do with the West being more pro human rights than the east. Maybe allowing kids to be human makes them respect other humans more. Even "progressive" Asian countries like Japan tend to be racist and anti-gay.
>>
>>79004939
A Broader Role for Comparative Educational Studies

The rich and varied scholarly literature on Japan—a literature that ranges from accounts of extreme violence in high schools (Rohlen, 1976b) to pieces that focus on the pressures mothers face in dealing with preschool teachers (Fujita, 1989)—remains peripheral to mainstream educational research and policy analysis conducted in the U.S (Torney-Purta, 1990). (See Baker, 1994, for a related discussion of the isolation of comparative studies in sociology of education.) Yet the highly nuanced, "thick" descriptions produced in such studies support analyses that clarify underlying educational beliefs and practices. These studies offer the potential for theoretical insight on issues central to classroom processes and national policies. In addition, an expanded use of comparative qualitative research offers the promise of increased awareness of the cultural boundaries within which all educational practitioners operate.
>>
>>79004898
>äidinkieli
The one I got over the years was 40% reading books, 40% interpreting poetry/media (without much guidance) and 20% grammar.

>The library is that way.
Nice education system.
>>
>>79004952
>Maybe allowing kids to be human makes them respect other humans more.

higher crime rates seem to negate this
>>
File: IMG_0974.png (77KB, 669x683px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0974.png
77KB, 669x683px
>>79001376
Yay Finland mentioned! Finland is the best! Finlaaand!
>>
>>79004967
Heck, I'd put it at 60% reading books and 40% rest. A typical novel? Harry Potter.
>>
>>79004965
For example, after showing videotapes of Japanese schools to American teachers and tapes of American schools to Japanese teachers Fujita and Sano recorded these observations:

The American teachers see their Japanese counterparts as working not with, but around children by preparing things for them. The Maple [U.S. school] teachers think that most of the time the Japanese teachers prepare things for children rather than teaching them. For example, in the lunchtime, the Japanese teachers set up tables and wipe them, whereas American teachers would let other people such as cooks wipe tables. During playtime, especially outdoors, the Japanese teachers do not supervise the children. There is no one watching what they are doing. The American teachers question the safety of the children. The Kawa [Japanese school] teachers think the American teachers do not play with children. They just sit by them and watch them. To them, the American teachers who do not play with children appear lazy, and not doing a proper job. A good teacher, in a Japanese setting, according to the Kawa teachers, is one who can join in the children's world, can communicate with the children in the way they understand, and can play with them at their level. (Fujita & Sano, 1988, pp. 88-89)
>>
>>79004775
>We should have classes on rhetoric, starting a business, taking part in politics, handling your personal non-entrepreneurial economics etc.
>starting a business
FUCK
YES

I remember having maatschappijleer (basically civics class) and it never thought anything actually useful like this. It taught us such bullshit as "this is why the welfare state is good" or "racism exists because of ignorance". Luckily we only had it for one year, but we'd be so much better off if that year was instead used to teach us how to start your own business, how to file your taxes, what subsidies you can and cannot get under what circumstances et cetera.
>>
>>79004970
Maybe. I don't know about other countries but in the case of Singapore the really low crime rates could at least partially be attributed to the more authoritarian government.
>>
>>79004997
Japanese and U.S. teachers, counselors, and administrators see themselves as working hard for the benefit of children. In studies like Fujita and Sano's, respondents readily mentioned the problems they faced and were prepared to talk about the deficiencies of their particular local and national system. Although both U.S. and Japanese teachers believed they knew a great deal about what went on in the other nation's classrooms, they were routinely surprised and even shocked by what they saw and heard when given the chance to see and discuss videos of actual classrooms. This experience led to a more critical awareness of their own practices.

This point is crucial. Fujita and Sano record teacher reactions ranging from the critical, as in the excerpt from above, to admiring, but neither side appeared to have much accurate information about the other. Both groups saw things in the other system that they wished they could emulate. Both groups reacted to the practices of the other side in ways that were affected by their own system of beliefs, but when confronted with actual data from the other country, most of the teachers found their own stereotypes of the other country seriously challenged. While most Japanese teachers I have interviewed express a strong admiration for the "creativity" and "individuality" that they believe American schools foster, they were routinely shocked at the severity of school rules. As Fujita and Sano note: The Kawa teachers think the attitude of the American teachers is strict, rigid and sparuta-teki (Spartan), which reminds the director (the oldest member of the staff) of the educational method in prewar Japan under which she grew up. (p. 89)
>>
>>79004967
>Nice education system.
Starting a business is simple. If you can´t learn to do it by yourself, you´re better off working in Siwa or as a construction worker.
>>
>>79005052
Similarly, American teachers I interviewed often spoke of the strict discipline of Japanese schools; many had heard that students clean schools in Japan, and some gleefully speculated how enjoyable it would be to see certain "offenders" put to scrubbing graffiti off school walls. When I described how cleaning is done by groups on a daily basis, with teachers routinely donning sweats and joining students, with the end result being more social than sanitizing, Americans tended to be surprised and confused. Neither American nor Japanese educators find that the "other side" is anything like their worst stereotype or their most romanticized ideal. The comparative methodology used in Fujita and Sano draws on an academic tradition where comparison is made of groups or organizations as wholes and proceeds to analyze organizational processes, activities, and interpretation of these activities as case studies that reflect broader social, historical, or cultural trends (see Shimahara & Sakai, 1995; Spindler, 1982; Tobin, Wu, & Davidson, 1989). In this methodology, it is highly instructive to compare organizations with very dissimilar attributes in order to clarify how similar social functions (i.e., the transmittal of academic content in organized school settings in late industrial nations) may occur in different patterns.
>>
>>79005034
>I don't know about other countries but in the case of Singapore the really low crime rates could at least partially be attributed to the more authoritarian government.
Asians are known to fiddle with statistics. The chink-run autocratic police state of Singapore is definitively guilty of that.
>>
>>79005092
>if you don't know how to farm outta the womb, you're just retarded and better off sticking to hunting-gathering
>>
>>79005137
The addition of reflective, crosscultural material (i.e., showing pictures, products, videotapes, or transcripts from the other system and recording individual or group reactions) further increases the efficacy of this method in clarifying the implicit or unstated patterns of beliefs or expectations held by group members about their own and other systems. This technique also allows more penetrating analysis of the "sticky" problems of cultural effects by making explicit each side's beliefs and expectations, thereby providing the researcher with evidence as to how complex phenomena, such as increasing student academic motivation, are supported or constricted within a given organizational setting and cultural background.

Comparative ethnographic studies provide a methodological vehicle for analyzing how systems of beliefs and expectations engender problems or conflicts (as well as solutions to these problems or conflicts) that affect school organization, classroom practices, and attitudes toward education. To praise Japan because of its high test scores or excoriate it because of its problems with bullying is to ignore a significant chance to further expand our knowledge of the interplay between beliefs and practices in our own and others' educational systems. To understand why Japanese or American test scores are the way they are, we must move beyond studies dealing with average time in class or content coverage to a detailed analysis of how students, teachers, parents, and others understand what achievement motivation is, how they hope to increase it, what problems it may create, and how these beliefs support or prevent schools, districts, regions, or even nations from reforming educational practice.
>>
>>79005171
>i could drink a coffee in sweden
>swim in cyprus
>eat a snack in portugal
>and work on the other side of germany in the same day
You could do this without the EU as well, you'd just have to spend five minutes to show your passport every time.
>>
>>79005175
Studies of Japanese education and schooling are excellent sources of data that expand a general pool of theoretical and practical knowledge about education
Focusing on international test score data alone tends to reify a conception of nations engaged in educational competition and obscures a conception of nations facing similar educational dilemmas
Comparative studies of national test score means based on identifying "higher-order" commonalties and refining the analytic variables used in international test score comparison yield complex data on national-level performance, but such studies have serious limitations
These limitations do not invalidate the studies, but limit the kinds of knowledge claims that can be made
We can conduct extensive and highly detailed studies of curriculum coverage without ever uncovering how Japanese or American teachers approach a classroom lesson, the basic pedagogical practices in situ, or the basic belief structure underlying school organization and classroom practices

Finally, research on Japan offers a unique opportunity to reflect on political conflict around core American educational values
The heated political debates that have ensued in Japan offer an opportunity to critically reassess the goals of education in a democratic society and how these goals are to be achieved. In light of our current fascination with national standards and national tests
The current fascination with national math and science scores obscures the fact that there are many other ways to look at national school systems
Detailed studies of Japanese practices, policies, values, and, yes, political choices offer an opportunity to get out of the rut of arguing about whose schools are "better.
>>
Education is so tiresome. Why can't we roam the world freely and eat food off the ground like our ancestor, exploring the world.
>>
The Israeli education system is really bad. Absolutely awful. In the name of ~multiculturalism~ the state allows various ethnic and religious groups to run their own schools. These schools often teach relatively little math and science. Even "normal" schools aren't very good and this is despite of the fact that the standard Israeli school system takes 12 years to go through.

On the upside our universities are world class if you want to go into computer science or electrical engineering.

The stereotype over here is that Funland has the best school system and Murica has the best universities.
>>
File: pisa in focus n17.png (101KB, 992x729px) Image search: [Google]
pisa in focus n17.png
101KB, 992x729px
>>79003859
>>
>>79005345
The kids just spend all of their time indoors here. The education system is honestly nothing to write home about.
>>
File: Israel_pisa_2015.png (139KB, 1019x1320px) Image search: [Google]
Israel_pisa_2015.png
139KB, 1019x1320px
>>79005345
>>
File: okhePpJW_400x400.jpg (41KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
okhePpJW_400x400.jpg
41KB, 400x400px
>>79001376
UK BTFO
>>
>>79005555
Interesting. You see the blue entries and the green entries? Blue is for Hebrew speakers and Green is for Arabic speakers. Red is the average.
>>
>>79005910
Don't feed the PISA spammer.
>>
>>79001694
>German technology
>>
>>79001376
>Hongkong
>Science
Change it to economics and I will agree
>>
East Asia is on the rise once again as a source of educational inspiration. After the last three rounds of
the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s (OECD) Programme for International
Student Assessment (PISA) where East Asian countries and cities – namely Singapore, Japan, South
Korea, Macao, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Taiwan – dominated the PISA top rankings, considerable
media and scholarly attention has been given to their success stories. Many prominent political figures
in Australia, England, and the United States, just to name a few countries, have referenced to East Asian
educational success as part of their rhetoric for education reform (Sellar & Lingard, 2013; Waldow,
Takayama, & Sung, 2014; You & Morris, 2015). Underpinning this reaction is the implicit sense of threat
that the rise of East Asia poses both economically and politically and the view of education achievement
as a reliable indicator of the region’s ascendance (Rizvi, 2016; Takayama, 2016). The three books under
review are published at this current moment of the Anglo-American anxiety and infatuation with East
Asian education success. Along with many other books on East Asian education published around the
same time (e.g., Hsieh, 2013), they are likely to be read by wider audience beyond the closed circle of
education policy scholarship.
>>
>>79006942
While this increased attention to East Asian education is a much welcome trend for many of us who
write about education in the region, it is important to be aware of the dangers associated with it. That
is, any scholarship on East Asian education today, regardless of the authors’ intention, can be articulated
and rearticulated within the particular policy discourse of PISA where education is subordinated to the
needs for national competitiveness and where a set of policies and programmes are abstracted out of
the complex interplays of socio-cultural and institutional contexts and presented as “a magic bullet”
(Kamens, 2013, p. 137). Here, national comparative data sets, as produced by PISA, are everything that
policy actors and reformers would need, because “the world today is indifferent to tradition and past
reputations, unforgiving of frailty and ignorant of custom and practice” (Schleicher & Zoido, 2016,
p. 384); that is, “the ideology of a culturally indifferent world of education” (Trӧhler, 2013, p. 158).
In this context, “the old chestnut of one country’s schools being better than those of another” (LeTendre,
1999, p. 42) assumes paramount importance, as higher performing countries are to become the source
of policy lessons. Research on East Asian education, unless (or perhaps even if ) explicitly challenging
this dominant policy framing, could help argument its legitimacy, hence further constraining possible
ways of talking about and imagining education in the region.
>>
>>79006961
Furthermore, it is well known that the discussion of East Asian education has often been shaped
by the prevailing stereotypes about East Asian students and education systems. The stereotype goes
something like: East Asian education is authoritarian where the central government dictates what is
to be taught and teachers dominate classroom discourse. Students study under enormous pressure
and engage in factual recall and rote memorization. As a result, though they achieve well in international
testings, they lose joy in learning and are weak in creativity, critical and independent thinking,
and problem-solving skills. Many comparative education researchers specializing in East Asia have
attempted to challenge such a caricature by providing a fully contextualized, balanced, and nuanced
description of what goes on in East Asian schooling (Cummings, 1997; LeTendre, 1999; Stevenson &
Stigler, 1992; see also Takayama, 2011).
>>
>>79006982
The recent attention to East Asia as a source of educational excellence partly addresses this long-held
dismissive stereotyping and shifts the direction of policy influence, which has traditionally centred in
the US and the UK (Forestier & Crossley, 2015; Sellar & Lingard, 2013). And yet much of Anglo-American
education reformers’ reference to East Asian PISA success relies heavily on the idealized and reductive
images of East Asian education and the sense of potential threat its success poses to their countries.
Needless to say, this positive appraisal is equally damaging. Anyone who writes about East Asian education
today, therefore, is to understand this wider discursive context which has set limits on scholarly and
popular articulations of East Asian education and then to learn to navigate this highly contested terrain.
>>
>>79007000
With this in mind, I will review three most recently published books on East Asian education in order
to think deeply about what it means to research East Asian education today. The focus of my review
is on the discursive roles that these three scholarly books can assume in the current policy context.
Hence, my intention goes beyond the critical appraisal of the respective pieces of scholarship; rather
it aims to expose and problematize the larger discursive context that ascribes certain meanings to the
three books. It is my hope that this extended review will help those of us studying and writing about
East Asian education become cognizant of how our research could potentially be positioned in the
field of knowledge. This awareness should enable us to become reflexive about the kind of discursive
effects our research are likely to generate for the scholarly and popular imagination about East Asian
education and to begin to explore how differently we can produce knowledge about East Asian education
to disrupt the discursive constraints placed on us.
>>
>>79007011
My discussion enfolds as follows. First, it presents the analysis of the larger discursive context surrounding
East Asian education which has been formed over the last several decades in the Englishlanguage
media and education scholarship. And then I will situate the discussion of each of the three
books within this larger discursive context. A brief summary of the three books will be provided, followed
by a discussion of how they simultaneously reinforce and trouble the existing narratives around East
Asian education. In conclusion, I reiterate the needs for researchers writing about East Asian education
to consciously articulate their own scholarship vis-à-vis the wider discursive structure so as to allow for
different ways of speaking about and imagining East Asian education.
>>
Dutch education is generally aimed at stimulating students to develop themselves.

Teachers tend to have a coaching role.
>>
>>79007036
Much of the ongoing attention to East Asian education is inseparable from the economic rise of these
nations and the perceived threat that they pose to Anglo-American countries. Just as we saw in the international
attention to Japanese education of the 1980s (see LeTendre, 1999), East Asia’s PISA success has
been construed as if it were the surest indicator of these nations’ and economies’ future economic competitiveness,
which coincides with the equally dramatic narrative of the West’s demise (Rizvi, 2016). It is out
of this deep anxiety vis-à-vis the rise of the East that, for instance, the then Federal Minister of Education
in Australia, Julia Gillard stated in reference to Australia’s underperformance vis-à-vis Shanghai-China,
Hong Kong-China, Korea, Japan, and Singapore in PISA 2009 that Australia was at risk of “losing education
race with Asian competitors”, warning that Australia would become “the runt of the litter” (Franklin, 2012).
>>
>>79007058
Meanwhile all those countries earn less than west european countries.
>>
>>79007058
Likewise, the same fear underpins Chester Finns and President Obama’s discussion of recent PISA
results as “our generation’s Sputnik moment”. Obama was quoted as stating that “(f )ifty years later, our
generation’s Sputnik moment is back” and that “…nations with the most educated workers will prevail.
As it stands right now, America is in danger of falling behind” (quoted in Dillon, 2010). The stellar performance
of Shanghai was construed as a “sign of China’s rapid modernization”, hence indicating the
rising power of the country vis-à-vis the US. In a similar manner, Finn was quoted as saying: “I’ve seen
how relentless the Chinese are at accomplishing goals, and if they can do this in Shanghai in 2009, they
can do it in 10 cities in 2019, and in 50 cities by 2029” (Dillon, 2010). To the US Secretary of Education
Arne Duncan, the 2009 PISA results were “a wakeup call” so that Americans “can face the brutal truth
that we’re being out-educated” (Dillon, 2010). In England, Education Minister Liz Truss, who was about
to visit Shanghai for a “fact-finding mission”, stated: “The reality is that unless we change our philosophy,
and get better at maths, we will suffer economic decline” (Howse, 2014). These political leaders
mobilized the remarkably similar language of crisis, decline, and threat to the one used three decades
earlier at the time of A Nation at Risk (Rappleye, 2007; Takayama, 2007)
>>
>>79007140
Positive appraisals of East Asian education at least among political leaders in these countries, however,
were not matched by policy actors and researchers in East Asia. Just as many Japanese observers
were perplexed at the international fame that their education systems were receiving outside Japan
30 years ago (Takayama, 2007), many education researchers in East Asia today are confused about the
celebratory discussion of their own education outside their countries. As Yong Zhao rightly points out:
“‘East Asian educators are not at all happy with what they have achieved; they look at what they have
not achieved. They look at the children’s lack of confidence, for example, creativity, entrepreneurial
spirit and imagination” (quoted in Stevenson, 2011). Likewise, Korean researchers and media were
perplexed about US President Barack Obama’s special reference to Korean education in his speech
(see Waldow et al., 2014).
>>
>>79007162
Indeed, despite the international fame that East Asian education currently enjoys, researchers and
policy makers in the region are keenly aware of the “deficiencies” of their own education systems, and
the recent PISA success and the international fame associated with it have not changed their conviction
about the problems. Since the mid to late 1990s, education systems in many top-performing East
Asian nations and economies have undergone major reform measures. They include a curricular reform,
moving away from the examination-driven, didactic teaching to student-centred and constructivist
and cross-disciplinary approach to teaching, which is believed to foster students’ creativity, critical and
independent thinking, problem-solving skills, and learner dispositions for lifelong learning. Also, at the
systemic level these countries have shifted away from strong state control over curriculum and administration
to more administrative and, to some extent, financial decentralization to make the system more
responsive to local needs and issues. Singapore’s Thinking Schools, Learning Nation reform (1997) and
Teach Less and Learn More policy (2006) and Japan’s ikiru chikara (zest for living) and yutori (low pressure,
room for growth) initiatives (2002), Korea’s New Education proposal in the early 2000s and Hong Kong’s
education reform initiated in the early 2000s were all designed to achieve these goals (Mok, 2006).
>>
>>79007183
Underpinning the ongoing education reform in these East Asian countries is the particularly deficit
perception of their students and their learning conditions. It can be succinctly summarized as follows:
East Asian students study under enormous academic pressure generated by intense academic competition;
much of their learning is factual recall. As a result they find little joy in learning and are weak
in creativity, critical and independent thinking, and problem-solving skills. Such a view is expressed
by many educators, researchers, and policy makers in East Asian countries. For instance, according to
Xiong Bingqi, education expert at Shanghai’s Jiao Tong University: “They [Chinese students] do very
well in those subjects the teacher assigns them. They have huge vocabularies and they do math well.
However, the level of their creativity and imagination is low.” and “(i)n the long run, for us to become
a strong country, we need talent and great creativity…and right now, our educational system cannot
accomplish this” (quoted in Stack, 2011). There is a common perception in East Asia countries that
their children excel in test taking and factual recall but not in creativity, original thinking, and problem
solving. To put it in an often-used expression, East Asian countries can never create Steve Jobs and Bill
Gates (see Zhao & Meyer, 2013).
>>
>>79007113
Implying asian janitor earns times less than dutch janitor cos of education.
>>
>>79007211
This is not a recent phenomenon, however. Two decades ago when Japanese education was under
international spotlight, Stevenson and Stigler (1992) observed a similar negative self-perception widely
shared among East Asian educators and researchers. Put in their words: “Whenever one goes in Asia,
one hears the complaint that although Chinese and Japanese students show high levels of academic
achievement, they lack creativity, a characteristic Asians believe is more prevalent in American students
than in their own” (p. 19).
(LeTendre (1999) also records similar views of Japanese teachers who “express a strong admiration for the creativity
and individuality that they believe American schools foster…” (p. 43).)
The almost identical deficit view of their own education systems is still well
and alive among East Asian educators, policy makers, and researchers.
>>
>>79007275
The same pejorative view of East Asian education systems was widely circulated through the Anglo-
American media in the immediate aftermath of East Asia’s PISA success. Just to name a few, according to
Time Magazine writer Ripley (2011), “…cramming is deeply embedded in Asia, where top grades—and
often nothing else—have long been prized as essential for professional success”. In The Huffington
Post, Cash (2013) – after describing the state of education in China as dominated by high-stake testing,
intense competition, and rote memorization – argues: “Thinking critically, being creative or independent,
remains anathema to the more popular aspirations of Chinese students; abandoning the social
mores that constrain them wouldn’t help them pass the Gaokao (entrance examinations). If anything,
it would get in the way of their progress up the social ladder”. To put it in his words, Chinese schools
are where “children are quite literally being drilled to death”. Lastly, Koo (2014), in her New York Times
article, provides a counter-narrative to the hype around Korean education success perpetuated by
President Obama and others. After discussing the strong legacy of the feudal culture in Korean society,
she argues: “a culture that treats its children as a commodity to be used in the service of the family or the
national economy must be radically altered”. Hence, to these Anglo-American writers, East Asian 15 year
old students achieved their PISA success for all the wrong reasons; namely, due to excessive academic
pressure, testing taking, and extra cramming they receive through private tutoring (see also Waldow
et al., 2014). Interestingly, these authors quoted East Asian educators and researchers to authenticate
their dismissive stereotyping
>>
>>79007326
Such a deficit view of East Asian education is perpetuated not just by popular media but also by many
Anglo-American education researchers. Just to name a few, Australian education researcher Dinham
(2012) criticizes Australia’s “Asian schooling infatuation” at the time of the PISA 2009 data release which
drove Australian media and political figures to turn to top-performing East Asian education. In order
to highlight the irrelevance of East Asia for Australian education, he discounts top performance of
“Asian PISA stars” by suggesting that “most are not nations at all but cities or city states”. And then, he
goes on to suggest: “They [Asian PISA stars] are also predominantly authoritarian in their governance.
Most have a tradition of rote learning, cramming and testing and all have placed a major premium on
improving their PISA rankings”. He goes as far as to maintain that the “Asian PISA powerhouses” have
built their industries “upon emulation and improvement of ideas and products imported from elsewhere
rather than innovation”, apparently another reason why Australia should not look to the East
(Dinham, 2013, p. 97).
>>
>>79007361
Another Australian researcher Yelland (2012) perpetuates a similar caricature of Asian education,
based partly on her experience of teaching and conducting research in schools in Hong Kong. Just
like Dinham, she dismisses the stellar performance of East Asian countries in PISA 2009. According to
Yelland, East Asian PISA success is due to the excessive focus on content recall in tests and the emphasis
these countries place on improving PISA rankings. Hence, Hong Kong students, for instance, excel in
problem-solving because they “practice books full of the examples of ‘problem solving’. I can assure
you that you can teach problem solving strategies like the ones included in PISA, and in fact, you can
266 REVIEW ESSAY
practice them day in and day out”. In her mind, East Asian students are so deprived of opportunities to
think independently that she explains “I have been in situations where I have asked Asian students ‘what
do you think?’ And they reply ‘tell us what you think and we will think the same’”. Morgan (2014), another
Australian researcher, similarly dismisses the East Asian PISA success, saying Asian PISA success comes
with costs that Australians do not want, including the lack of creative and flexible thinking and other
psychological and physical problems caused by excessive academic pressure. Hence, he concludes:
“there is not a lot for us to learn from East Asia on educational success, despite the commentators and
policy-makers who follow this line” (Morgan, 2014).
>>
>>79007225
They actually do, but not for the reasons you might think,

Our economy relies on international trade. So subjects like economy, geography and learning languages is very important here. And plays a very prominent role in our education.

Just like we find it important for people to develop themselves, instead of relying on someone else telling you what to do. Which is one of the reasons why we have a huge amounts of businesses.
>>
>>79007392
Lastly but not least important, Zhao, a US based education researcher originally from China, has
written extensively about Chinese education. Much of his writings are meant to counter the rosy picture
of East Asian education promoted by OECD’s publications, US education reformers, and other media
reporting (Zhao, 2014; Zhao & Meyer, 2013). Zhao refutes the proclaimed success of Chinese education
on the basis of Shanghai’s PISA success, because he argues that the Chinese students achieve test scores
at the expense of creativity, divergent thinking, originality, and individualism. In one of his writings,
he claims that there exists an inverse relationship between students’ creativity and entrepreneurship
on the one hand and PISA rankings (Zhao & Meyer, 2013). Hence, East Asian countries which topped
the PISA league tables have failed to teach such capabilities. His writings have been taken up by many
Anglo-American education commentators and researchers as the “authentic” voice of the East (see
Dinham, 2012, 2013; Ravitch 2014). In reviewing Zhao’s latest book, for instance, influential US education
historian/critic Ravitch (2014) argues: “His book is a timely warning that we should not seek to emulate
Shanghai, whose scores reflect a Confucian tradition of rote learning that is thousands of years old”. And
then she goes to lump together all East Asian top performing countries in a dismissive tone: “Indeed,
the highest-scoring nations on the PISA examinations of fifteen-year-olds are all Asian nations or cities:
Shanghai, Hong Kong, Chinese Taipei, Singapore, Korea, Macao (China), and Japan”.
>>
>>79007427
What is to be highlighted here is the fact that these disparaging commentaries were written in
response to the highly romanticized accounts of East Asian education success and the political rhetoric
around “learning from East”. That is, they respond directly to political figures, reformers, and selfstyled
experts who engage in unintelligent policy learning/borrowing, or those who “urge us to copy
Shanghai and the like on the basis of their ‘research’, which usually consists of selectively using statistics
from reports completed by others and making flying stage-managed visits to schools to discover the
“secret” to their success” (Dinham, 2013, p. 99). In the case of the aforementioned Australian scholars,
their writings respond directly to the political rhetoric around “educational race” with Asian neighbours
mobilized by the Gillard Labour Government at the time and the sudden call for looking to East as a
source of reform model. This was when the Grattan Institute’s report entitled Catching up: Learning
from the best school systems in East Asia (Jensen, Hunter, Sonnemann, & Burns, 2012) was extensively
featured in the national mainstream media, wherein reporters suggested: “Lessons from Asia show way
forward schools” in Australia (Ferrari, 2012) and “Shanghai’s class act is the model to follow” (Sainsbury,
2012). Likewise, this was the time when commenters such as Ergas (2012) presented the East Asian PISA
success in a particular way to present heavy parental investment in education, as opposed to increased
public funding for schooling, as “the lesson” that Australia should learn from their success. Here, East
Asian PISA success was articulated to challenge the widely accepted view among education scholars
about the need to increase public funding for Australian schools.
>>
>>79007453
Similarly, in the case of American commentators, the pejorative view of East Asian education was
generated in direct response to President Obama and other high profile political figures’ appropriation
of the idealized and threating image of East Asian education to create another “Sputnik moment”.
Likewise in England, a similar call for unintelligent policy borrowing from the East was observed: During
her visit to Shanghai, English Education Minister Liz Truss stated: “What I want to do is learn from that
really good practice in Shanghai schools so that we can apply it in England, because at the moment
we have stagnated in terms of our maths performance for the past 15 years while other countries like
Germany or Poland have been learning from the East” (quoted in Graham, 2014). In their analysis of
the UK government’s reference to East Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore, and Shanghai), You and Morris
(2015) concludes: “Rather than engaging in policy borrowing, the government has selectively referenced
policies in East Asia in an attempt to promote and legitimate its long preferred policy agenda” (p. 900).
When Anglo-American policy makers and political figures appropriate images of East Asian education as
a form of “political theatre” (You & Morris, 2015, p. 900): the use of external references as an additional
source of legitimation for pre-existing agenda, critics were left with equally extreme responses, such
as the use of stereotypical caricatures, to undermine its legitimacy.
>>
>>79007479
Hence, the dismissive caricature of East Asian education has been generated out of the intense
domestic education reform debate wherein the very articulation of East Asian education becomes the
focus of political struggle. The caricature is often produced in direct response to the politically motivated
call for policy borrowing/learning from the East propagated by prominent political figures and
reformers. The ironic consequence of all this is that their otherwise legitimate critical commentaries
further perpetuate the worst kind of stereotypes about East Asian education systems and students,
hence erasing any possibilities of truly intelligent policy borrowing/learning from the East.
>>
>>79007502
Almost two decades ago, in The Challenges of Eastern Asian Education, Cummings (1997) made the
following remark in references to the vehement defensiveness of Western educators and researchers to
any call to learn from East Asian education: their critical view “derives from a defensive position of the
leaders of Western institutions who feel their assumptions are being challenged and even threatened
by the often contrasting eastern Asian approach” (p. 291). Indeed, understanding pedagogical practice
and policy premises in East Asian education has been shown to enable Anglo-American educators
and researchers to question their implicit assumptions about pedagogy and policy, hence serving as
“an excellent sources of data that expand a general pool of theoretical and practical knowledge about
education” (LeTendre, 1999, p. 43). Unfortunately, this potential is seriously compromised when the
highly politicized reference to East Asian success stories further reinforces Anglo-American observers’
defensiveness. The three books under review were published in this larger discursive context wherein
the representation of East Asian education has been highly polarized, either as a symbol of “utopia” by
reformers who use East Asia as a tool for scandalization on the one hand or a symbol of “dystopia” by
those who challenge such politicized appropriation on the other.
>>
>>79000847
>>
>>79008029
>>
>>79001544
>Nobel Prizes
Biggest meme out there. Trust the Swedes to fuck something up as beautiful as scientific achievement. We should just nuke those snownigger bastards.

Anyway, most scientific advancements were made by Brits. Modern Physics was bought forward by Newton (who also invented calculus); Modern Chemistry was bought forward by Boyle; Electromagnetism, which is a huge part of quantum physics, was first described and theoretically discovered by Maxwell (he managed to discover EM waves before they were discovered (that is genius)).
Just look around your room: the internet is British (NPL Network), your computer is British (Babbage, Turing, and Dummer (Integrated Circuits)).
>>
You have to consider high IQ East Asian genes. You would expect them to do better in school with equal quality education. That they do worse than the best Western schools and only a little better than average suggests the productivity in schooling there is lower than the West. You can see this with Asian-Americans who do vastly better than Asians in Asia on these tests. And American education is far from the best
>>
>>79001544
I bet you also think that moveable type printing press is German
>>
>>79001669
Can confirm. But it's even worse. We have none
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.