[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was ß removed from the German alphabet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: 500px-Piktogramm_Verbot_ß.svg.png (25KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
500px-Piktogramm_Verbot_ß.svg.png
25KB, 500x499px
>>
because ßeven ate nein
>>
>>78600672
I forgot to ask how are German dialects inlduing those in Austria and Switzerland etc. different.
>>
it wasn't

only the swiss don't use it because their pronounciation rules are different
>>
Was it? Are you serious?
>>
File: snake.jpg (190KB, 1900x1068px) Image search: [Google]
snake.jpg
190KB, 1900x1068px
>>78600708
ssssseven
>>
They want to emulate their Anglo masters
>>
They actually added uppercase ß to the alphabet. It's only (((Switzerland))) that refuses to write and speak normally.
>>
File: traditional german footwear.jpg (354KB, 830x520px) Image search: [Google]
traditional german footwear.jpg
354KB, 830x520px
>>78600874
>Germans
>Normal
>>
Greek variants are weird..

β-ϐ
ε-ϵ
θ-ϑ
k-ϰ
π-ϖ
ρ-ϱ
σ-ς-c
Υ-ϒ
φ-ϕ
>>
>>78600672
it wasn't. you find it on every second street sign
>>
>>78601261
yeah but i heard that there was some reform in 90´s or 00´s
>>
>>78601282
there were some words with ß that didn't add up to the grammar rule of ß so they changed them- but all words that are supposed to be written with ß still are.

daß · Biß · Kuß, geküßt · laßt · Meßergebnis
became
dass · Biss · Kuss, geküsst · lasst · Messergebnis
as far as i know that's basically it
>>
>>78600736
Also Liechtenstein doesn't use it.
>>
File: liechtenstein.png (623KB, 2045x1720px) Image search: [Google]
liechtenstein.png
623KB, 2045x1720px
>>78601528
Liechtenstein is a Swiss town that forgot which country they were in.
>>
>>78601634
No it isn't
Irredentism is mental illness
>>
>>78601487
why exactly did it happened? what was wrong with ß?
>>
>>78601282
there was one in 1995, All the German teachers I had in school agreed, though, that it fucked up the language more than it helped.
We recently witnessed one after-effect of that reform
Before 95, when you couldn't write ß, you were to write sz instead, in 95 they changed it to ss.
before 95: Carl Friedrich Gauß became CARL FRIEDRICH GAUSZ
after 95: Gauß became GAUSS

Because of this you can't discern between ss and ß when writing in uppercase letters. Because those idiots in charge of the German language didn't want to admit they made a mistake, they didn't simply go back to sz, but added a new uppercase ß which looks exactly the same as the lower case one: (ß vs ẞ - see the difference? I don't).

The Swiss were the sanest ones here, they simply removed the ß once and for all back in 1995.
>>
>>78601109
ß is not a greek letter... It's a ligature of "s" (actually a long s in old German) and "z".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F
>>
>>78601825
ss makes the vowel before short while ß does not.
Compare Gasse and Straße. ß itself is a ligatur and thus a real special snowflake. The rules now make more sense as the use of ss & ß adheres to the pronounciation of the particular word.
>>
>>78603577
How did people differentiate Maße and Masse in written text before anyway?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.