[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

French vs English thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

File: CECPY7_2600591b.jpg (24KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
CECPY7_2600591b.jpg
24KB, 620x387px
A few questions to French anons: Does French feel more expressive and flexible for you than English? What are the pros of French over English? Is it still worth learning given France is one of the most dangerous places to visit in Europe?
>>
>>78593675
>Does French feel more expressive and flexible for you than English?
English is way more express than french
>What are the pros of French over English? Is it still worth learning given France is one of the most dangerous places to visit in Europe?
There's no pro. There's no point in learning french today.
>>
>>78593726
Way more expressive *
>>
>>78593675
French are niggers
>>
>>78593747
Thanks for the input, 50%
>>
>>78593726
>English is way more express than french
Any proof?
>>
>>78593795
Compare the verbs. English verbs sounds like onomatopoeia, they are more natural
>>
>>78593817
Does French have anything to do with the fact that you're retarded?
>>
>>78593675
>Ukraine

>>>/x/
>>
>>78593849
What?
>>
>>78593675
French is more expressive than French, English is just a French creole btw

>French
High culture language
Spread far and wide
Growing influence

>English
French Creole
Negroid culture
Decreasing influence

>>78593747
t. 46% white
Amerimongrels are not Europeans but subhuman Latinegroes
>>
>>78593675
>France is one of the most dangerous places to visit in Europe?
Terrorism is very spectacular, it's the real reason it exists in the first place.
Basically it's like an advertising campaign to get the media.
The numbers tell a different story though, I am afraid the probability to be killed in Ukraine is a lot higher than France.
>>
>>78593675
I prefer english for technical things. It's a very logical and straigthforward language. Because of this, i would say it's more flexible : you can add-up word very easily, which doesn't work well in french.

I prefer french for everything else, it's a more expressive/humane language, there is a reason why french is still used pour diplomacy.
>>
>>78594559
Ukraine is safe and I'm not talking of terrorism only. If you're walking in Paris dressed like a Jew, not only will you be spat on by sandniggers and insulted, you could even be killed. Now, this shit would almost never happen in Ukraine.
>>
>>78594733
lol
>>
>>78594616
Not an argument. Golly, why are the French in the current year era so stupid?
>>
>>78593675

Ukraine is literally at war right now, and you bitch about how other nations are dangeorus?
>>
>>78594733
Uhm. No, not at all infact.
>>
>>78594803
No, it isn't. Never seen a single dead body in my entire life.
>>
>>78594815
Your hellhole isn't that much better.
>>
>>78594828
So there is nothing going on in eastern ukraine at all?

>>78594857
I have lived most of my life in what /pol/ calls "no-go" zones, and never had an issue.
>>
>>78594909
Dress like a Jew and see what will happen. Something tells me you aren't even white or Swedish.
>>
>>78594977
Oh but I am. Blonde, blue eyes and on top of that gay. I have so far not had much trouble.

And even the jewish society in Malmö said that their members doesnt really encounter much trouble.
>>
>>78593849
what's wrong with this ukrainian
>>
>>78595143
Marxist shill.
>>
B u m p
>>
File: 1452269972015.jpg (48KB, 549x280px) Image search: [Google]
1452269972015.jpg
48KB, 549x280px
>>78595143
>Oh but I am. Blonde, blue eyes and on top of that gay

>finally find a white swede

>and on top of that I'm gay
>>
>>78595283
Marxists are the ones who wants to ruin everything good. I would never shill for them.
>>
>>78594733
>Ukraine is safe

You country is a war zone and your women are ready to marry anyone to leave this hellish land
>>
>>78595143
>white
>blond
>blue eyes
>gay
this post sounds like a meme coming from a swede
>>
>>78596483
You seem to know Ukraine better than I do.
>>
>>78596551
It isnt tho, might be steriotypical for /int/ tho
>>
>>78596607
yeah, /int/ is definitely getting to me.
>>
File: 1470428701383.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1470428701383.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>78596248
>>78594733
Lel ukrainigger think France is in a state of war whil at the moment in his country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36xPdIly2cg
>>
>>78596607
You're too senseless to be ironic, to be sure.
>>
>>78596673
It's always cringeworthy trying to read your posts.You're yet another example of what is wrong with France.
>>
>>78596673
The fact that Ukraine is in a state of war doesn't prevent France from being in a (lesser) state of war. Keep in mind that the operation currently most overstretching French military means is not Operation Serval, which is abroad but Operation Sentinelle, which is on French soil. If the French military (not its police force, its fucking military) needs to be used to enforce the legal order and safety, the country is effectively in a state of civil war.
>>
>>78596808
everything is fine in Ukr-
*detonation*
i-i mean at least my country is 100% w-whi-
*explosion*
i-i think i will move to Poland, Ukraine is too cold...
>>
I need a detailed ANALysis of French juxtaposed with English NOW!
>>
>>78599744
Cet anon est un Ukrainien qui essaye de semer le trouble entre les Français et les Anglais
This anon is an Ukrainian who try to cause trouble between the French and English

Here you go
>>
>be Ukrainian
>ask questions
>insult anyone who responds

What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>78599873
I just dislike blatantly stupid people who can't write a single sentence properly.
>>
>>78593675
French has loads of words that can all describe the same ideas but with differing nuances. The grammatical moods and tenses (17 in total) gives more tools to express oneself with the most precision. Although the syntax may seem unflexible, there are still many ways to rearrange the composition of a sentence to put the emphasis on different subjects.
I feel like French is a lot more diverse in the way you can get a message accross than English.
>>
>>78593675
>Is it still worth learning given France is one of the most dangerous places to visit in Europe?

Wut
>>
>>78594733
bs, nobody give a fuck about jews and how they dressed, their is entire area of jew neighborhood in paris and they are rich as fuck. Ukraine is filled with nazi wannabee
>>
>>78600482
Sorry, can't understand you. Next time try to write in English.
>>
>>78600538
im pretty clear
>>
>>78600141
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/missing_words_french.shtml
>>
I've been learning french since 8 and english since 11 with more hours for french but me and everybody I know would choose english over french any day of the week because its way simpler. Also when texting friends we use english cause it's way more expressive and understandable than arabic (our arabic)

tldr: french is for pussies and god I wish the british were to colonize us unstead of the french
>>
>>78600908
>There are about 7 times more words in the English language than in French (500,000 against 70,000).
Pro-tip to anyone who wants to write articles: don't start one with such a boldfaced lie. That unsourced has already been made multiple times, sometimes in even more extreme variants (with English having a million words, or ten times as many as French).

http://nadeaubarlow.com/one-million-words/
This is what happens when we look at actual linguists and take their word for it. That discrepancy comes from putting two dictionairies together and utterly ignoring the differences in culture when it comes to dictionaries (English dictionaries tend to be more extensive, French dictionaries maintain a stricter standard for "bon usage" [for example, you can't merely offer a synonym for a translation, which certain English dictionaries do]). When you assemble French words according to the same standard the Oxford Dictionary uses, English' one million words is countered by the 1,2 million words of French. A small, and most importantly, plausible discrepancy between two modern languages in favor of French. A far cry away from the claimed sevenfold discrepancy your link proposes.
>>
>>78601137
>it's too hard for me
>it's for pussies

hmm

>>78603496
Interesting, thanks based Netherlands.
>>
File: 1429887993110.gif (277KB, 267x199px) Image search: [Google]
1429887993110.gif
277KB, 267x199px
>>78600908
>There are about 7 times more words in the English language than in French (500,000 against 70,000).
Wew, lad, you actually believe that shit? Leaving aside the fact that English has almost as many French words as it does Latin, the process of accepting a new word into the French language is more akin to that of Spanish, that is, a whole lot of bureocracy, even if the word is used broadly -you could have words of regular use NOT be included in the dictionary because they aren't proper-.
To top it all off, verb conjugations AREN'T included into the dictionary, even if a verb can be said in different modes, tenses and persons, the dictionary only recognizes the infinitive.
>>
A question for the French speakers: translate the following into French using only a single word:

> cheesy (not in the food sense)
> camp (in the homosexual, behavioural sense)
> insight
> peck (a type of kiss)
> nice
> home
>>
>>78605764
Also
> weekend
>>
>>78605764
I'm not a French speaker but:
>insight
Is clearly a compound word of a preposition and a noun, don't be so cheeky.
>>
>>78605817
It's still a single word.
>>
>>78605817
Does the word 'cheeky' even exist in French?
>>
>>78605902
French isn't a direct translation of English, fucking retard.
>>
>>78605850
But it's a compound, so trying to ask another language to translate it with one word is disingenuous, since the very word you are using requires two just by itself.
>>78605902
I don't speak French, so I have no idea, but I guess it would be along the lines of "caradura" in Spanish -however you say that in French-
>>
>>78596808
>risitas

He probably comes from Jeuxvidéo.com, one of the shittiest french websites, full of autistic edgy kids.
>>
>>78601137
>tldr: french is for pussies and god I wish the british were to colonize us unstead of the french

The same, you're fucking imbeciles, I wish brits colonized you so you would ruin their country and not ours.
>>
>>78605902
>>78605996
This. You would be surprised by the number of french words that exist do describe a wine.
>>
>>78606130
Right. But you couldn't say 'nice wine', because 'nice' doesn't exist in French.
>>
>>78606241
nice = bien/bon
>>
>>78605764
>Cheesy
No real translation in the first place
>Insight
Depending on the context, perspicacité
>peck
Une bise if you mean "a peck", but we don't have a specific word for "to peck"
>Nice
Bien, bon ? I guess we don't really have a word that encompass a word with such a broad use
>Home
chez-soi, which is a compound

You're taking quite specific examples but I'm sure everyone can play this game
>>
>>78606373
'Nice' isn't only 'good'. It's more like 'pleasant' or 'pleasing' along with the concept of goodness.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.