[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1501953329946.jpg (103KB, 499x555px) Image search: [Google]
1501953329946.jpg
103KB, 499x555px
As an English speaker, what confuses me about languages like Spanish/French/German is articles like "of" are often not very consistent. For instance, take something like The Lord of the Rings and the third book/movie "The Return of the King". In other languages its:

Spanish: El retorno del Rey
French: Le Retour du Roi
German: Die Rückkehr des Königs

In French "du" can mean just "Of", in German "des" can make just "of". In Spanish I guess "del" is pretty solidly "of the" though. But I dont understand why the word "the" can just be left out. In these languages is the article "the" just often not seen as necessary?
>>
I'm pretty sure de le turns into du for french
>>
'Des' just means 'of the'. Or more precisely, 'des' means 'the' but the grammatical case it's used in (gentive) is possessive showing that it is the King's return. So neither 'the' nor 'of' are "missing" exactly. They're just subsumed into a single word and the grammatical case.

t. German learner
>>
context? king is a big figure so you might not need a definitive article to make it apparent its not just any king but rather the return of a specific king. at least thats how it works in languages without articles.
>>
del is a contraction of de el, so the is already implied there
>>
>>78585103
This
If it was the queen then it's "de la Reine"
>>
What's the difference between "the King's return" and "the return of the King"? Seems like it's the same
>>
>>78585480
Emphasis I'd say. In the first one, you're emphasizing the king while the second emphasizes his return.
>>
Another random question: in German, "game developer" is "Spieleentwickler", because "spiel" means game and "entwickler" means developer. But why the extra "e" in there? Do most german words, when combining nouns, add extra letters? For what purpose, simply to aid in pronunciation?
>>
>>78585691
>Do most german words, when combining nouns, add extra letters? For what purpose, simply to aid in pronunciation?
Yes. Ex: Black-haired => Schwarzehaarig. Schwarz is black and haarig is haired. 'e' in between for readability/pronunciation.

Not all do it though. Fire Goblet/Goblet of Fire => Feuerkelch (Feuer + Kelch).
>>
>>78585767

That seems confusing as fuck
>>
>>78585767

But this is what really confuses me. Why not kelch des feuer? Surely that is somewhat of a different meaning than "feuerkelch?" Why abandon the "of"?
>>
>>78585043
>tfw I speak a based language without any articles
>>
>>78585828
Meh, you get used to it. Once you know enough to recognize the individual words you can make sense of it in your head.
>>78585883
'Des' is genitive, so possessive.That implies the goblet is owned by the fire. See >>78585144

Do note, I'm not fluent so don't take my answers as Gospel.
>>
>>78585883
Well it's the same as in English. There's no real reason why it has to be one reason and not the other - J.K Rowling could just have easily made her book "Harry Potter and the Fire Goblet" - except that one just sounds better.
>>
In Modern English you inflect a word to make it plural (book, books)

In German you inflect a word to make it plural (Buch, Bücher). In German you inflect an article to express possession or association. In German you inflect a lot of words.

Old English is probably similar to German in that regard.
>>
>>78585883
Feuerkelch sounds alot better.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.