[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>New York City isn't the capital of the US

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 1488433511245.png (82KB, 320x353px) Image search: [Google]
1488433511245.png
82KB, 320x353px
>New York City isn't the capital of the US
>>
>>78501385
Washington, D.C. was built from land ceded by Maryland and Virginia for the express purpose of being our capital.
>>
>>78501445
They should move the capital to Lebanon, Kansas and use the opportunity to build a futuristic smart city.
>>
It isn't even the capital of its own state.
>>
>>78501385
>Sydney not capital of Australia
>Rio de Janeiro not capital of Brazil
>New York not capital of the USA
>Toronto not capital of Canada

Why are the larger former colonies so retarded about this?
>>
>>78501385
Death to America
>>
>>78501445
>>78501504
Biggest mistake of the founder's lives. It was a miserable, dangerous beginning for the residents of the capital when it was newly built. Horrible weather and deadly mosquitoes everywhere.

I always felt that the capital should have chosen the Great Lakes area so ready access to freshwater and much better weather. Also, much more easy water transportation that would allow goods and messages to be relayed by water.
>>
we know the sort of people capitals attract so we built ours in a literal swamp
>>
The capital of USA should be Chicago
>>
>>78501385
>the Dutch king, government, supreme court, ministeries, embassies and so on are all in The Hague
>Amsterdam is the capital
>>
>>78501513
this

politically NYC is irelevant
>>
>>78505418
Forgot the parliament and senate. Which are also in The Hague.
>>
should the yankee government ever move its capital away from the east coast, america would forever cease to be a factor in the affairs of the western half of afro-eurasia. without this strategic location, american global supremacy could never have been possible.
>>
>>78501385

During the revolutionary war and the Articles of Confederation, and prior to the establishment of our Constitution, national bodies met in other cities, particularly Philadelphia and yes, New York. So multiple cities can lay claim to having been our national capital during the country's early days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capitals_in_the_United_States#Former_national_capitals

>>78503936

Actually, you're the retarded one. Seating the local or national government in a B-tier, smaller city is a wise way of checking the economic and cultural power of the large cities, and it also helps to psychologically take the big cities' residents down a peg, also a good thing.

Among US states, the largest city in the state is only (also) the state capital in a third of them. None of the five most populous states - California, Texas, New York, Illinois or Florida - have their largest city for their state capital. This is a good thing.

I am sure that Brits and French who do not live in London or Paris can tell us stories of how unbelievably up their own ass the residents of these cities are. You have to take something away from your large cities if you are wise. That something is regional government.

NYC obviously gets the consolation that it is the closest thing which exists to a capital of Earth (UN HQ), even though this is a joke organization of course.
>>
>>78505659
>countries early.times
No such thing each state was independant just like france germany and italy.
>>
>>78505391

This is one of the dumber opinions that I've read by a foreigner on /int/ in some time. Chicago is notorious for being a corrupt city. The central location and proximity to lakes don't make up for this.

It's almost as if a foreigner wants America to fail...!
>>
>>78505659
UN is a capital of nothing, UN doeant rule anything.
>>
>>78505751

Notice how when you read my post, I'm agreeing with you. So this comment doesn't contradict what I wrote, and is unhelpful.
>>
File: 1503173294876.jpg (134KB, 1173x823px) Image search: [Google]
1503173294876.jpg
134KB, 1173x823px
>southampton isn't the capital of the united kingdom
>>
>>78505711
People referred to themselves as virginians etc.. Not as Americans
>>
>>78505659
NYC is the center of world. So you can say it is the capital of the world regardless of the UN HQ.
>>
Federations generally don't put their capital in one of the states. Canada is the only exception I can think of.
>>
File: 1503015680172.jpg (25KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1503015680172.jpg
25KB, 641x530px
>>78505874
>NYC is the center of world
>>
>>78505874
NYC is not the capital of new york.
>>
File: Earth economic center.png (177KB, 945x743px) Image search: [Google]
Earth economic center.png
177KB, 945x743px
>>78505874
No' it's not, New York City is not even the capital of New York and Tokyo has a bigger GDP than NYC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_GDP
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.